HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Habs spending to the cap this year?

Old
06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Steveshutt

vCash: 500
Are the Habs spending to the cap this year?

Anyone know? My major concerns this year are centered on ownership and management. Is Molson willing to spend to the cap? If not, there is no excuse and they should be held accountable.

I'm also really troubled by what Glen Metropolit said (from another post) that the vets approached management about size up front and how they were ignored. I'd hate to think that management would let things like winning be sacrificed in the name of their hockey ideology.

Also hate the fact we have one of the smallest scouting staffs in the league. Others don't have to make do as we do with video scouting.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
guest1467

Of course we are spending to the cap.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Ownership didn't prevent Gauthier from spending up to the cap last year, I don't see why they would this year.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Steveshutt

Really? I thought we fell short of the cap last year. If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
Anyone know? My major concerns this year are centered on ownership and management. Is Molson willing to spend to the cap? If not, there is no excuse and they should be held accountable.

I'm also really troubled by what Glen Metropolit said (from another post) that the vets approached management about size up front and how they were ignored. I'd hate to think that management would let things like winning be sacrificed in the name of their hockey ideology.

Also hate the fact we have one of the smallest scouting staffs in the league. Others don't have to make do as we do with video scouting.
Not sure where you're getting this crap, the Habs have always spent to the cap and should again this year. I can see them keeping 1-2 mil to add a player at midseason, but it won;t be from being "cheap" it will be with the mindset of having options as a GM.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
OpenIceHit

If we're not spending to the cap with a guy like Gomez on the team, it would be pretty difficult to be competitive...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
MathMan

Montreal is making money hand over fist. Spending to the cap is a drop in the ocean of expenses.

The only reason I could see Montreal not spending to the cap is them not finding enough quality players to spend money on.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:00 PM
AntonCH

Montreal will leave 1.5-2 million unspent just in case they decide to go after something big. As per usual

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:01 PM
ThaDevilGirl

They'll have their usual ~1M cushion for call ups and stuff.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Montreal is making money hand over fist. Spending to the cap is a drop in the ocean of expenses.

The only reason I could see Montreal not spending to the cap is them not finding enough quality players to spend money on.
Source? Just because they sell out doesn't mean they are highly profitable, and it depends on your definition of "hand over fist". It , was leveraged purchase, lots of interest to pay.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Source? Just because they sell out doesn't mean they are highly profitable, and it depends on your definition of "hand over fist". It , was leveraged purchase, lots of interest to pay.
They had the 3rd most net revenue in the league last year at over 20M$ profit.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
MathMan

Quote:
They didn't just buy the Habs; they also bought the Bell Center and Evenko.

They don't just sell out. They also have lots of corporate support, the lucrative RDS contract, and tons upon tons of merchandise.

They are one of the top money-makers in the league.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
They had the 3rd most net revenue in the league last year at over 20M$ profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
They didn't just buy the Habs; they also bought the Bell Center and Evenko.

They don't just sell out. They also have lots of corporate support, the lucrative RDS contract, and tons upon tons of merchandise.

They are one of the top money-makers in the league.
No one has ever paid so much for a team/building, not even close. While some industries only make about 1% profit, most look for much higher profit, 20 Million is less than 5% ROI, a little low.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
guest1467

Quote:
No one has ever paid so much for a team/building, not even close. While some industries only make about 1% profit, most look for much higher profit, 20 Million is less than 5% ROI, a little low.
How much they paid for the franchise is irrelevant, has nothing to do with their net earnings, and how much they spend on the cap.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
TheBuriedHab

Just because you have the Money doesn't mean you have to spend it all. Saving some would not be the end of the world.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:42 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Just because you have the Money doesn't mean you have to spend it all. Saving some would not be the end of the world.
I don't agree... they should give me the rest

knuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Why save anything when you can improve your team? That is not to say that you should spend just for the sake of spending and hurt the long-term viability of the team. But if you remain flexible, all the cap should be spent, there is no benefit to not.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The normal lineup last year was close to a little over 59 mil, just shy of the limit. I don't expect this year to be any different. They're one of the most profitable organizations in this league. They owe it to their fans to spend to the limit.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Nidema

Quote:
hmmm no. Purchases like these are generally capitalized and don't appear on income statement (minimal impact to profit) except through depreciation.

And honestly, given how most teams around the league who sell out games make a profit (making them a directly comparable firm), unless there is some gross managerial incompetency, I would have to assume that they are making a strong profit.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why save anything when you can improve your team? That is not to say that you should spend just for the sake of spending and hurt the long-term viability of the team. But if you remain flexible, all the cap should be spent, there is no benefit to not.
Yes there is, 3 mil cap now, is what, 7-8 mil at deadline? 0 now is 0 later.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
$20m is just what the Habs make. They probably make just as much or more from Evenko and the Bell Centre.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:10 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yes there is, 3 mil cap now, is what, 7-8 mil at deadline? 0 now is 0 later.
When people say "spending to the cap," they don't actually mean pushing it up to cents against it. Most teams will leave a buffer of around 1 million dollars to be able to make moves during the off-season. By increasing your flexibility in contracts, you are open to a number of avenues to improve your team even if you only have little cap room.

What is the point of having all that cap room at the deadline? Assets that have that type of cap hit are very expensive. And if an avenue becomes open where you would like to pick up a player of that caliber, moves can be made to move existing cap hits.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Yeah, we need to spend to the cap all year long.

Lets not play against the future stanley cup champion/finalist in the first round every year.

Win the one seed outright.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
lol, look at you defending corporate interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
Barring a cup win, Gauthier should probably be replaced soon.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
When people say "spending to the cap," they don't actually mean pushing it up to cents against it. Most teams will leave a buffer of around 1 million dollars to be able to make moves during the off-season. By increasing your flexibility in contracts, you are open to a number of avenues to improve your team even if you only have little cap room.

What is the point of having all that cap room at the deadline? Assets that have that type of cap hit are very expensive. And if an avenue becomes open where you would like to pick up a player of that caliber, moves can be made to move existing cap hits.
Be it as it may, there's acquisitions during the year, like wiz for example, that come before the deadline. Not saying keep 5 mil free, but not end of the world if you do. Put the right pieces, not any pieces.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote