HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov signed for two years...

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
I don't understand the flak Marinaro keeps getting on this board. He's the most legitimate source on the habs there is. He's rarely wrong and has broken most of the recents deals/news ahead of everyone else (Latendresse deal, Jagr not being interested, Markov situation and more).

If he's wrong sometimes, he's not any more wrong than anyone else posting habs rumors.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Ya, im not comparing him to bob. Just saying that its pretty dumb to say, "We could have guessed that". A lot of people are guessing the same Figures because Marinaro reported a couple months ago that he was asking for the same salary. Nobody else was reporting it.
I never heard marinaro report the numbers earlier in the year, but they certainly make sense.

Its not news to me unless markov wants to leave. I've always assumed that he would be back around those figures.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:24 PM
jake the snake

MAG update

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS2

PG and Meehan to meet thursday

Old
06-23-2011, 12:16 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quit complaining about the eklund thread. If you don't like it, don't read it. Enough is enough already.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:18 AM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake the snake View Post
MAG update

Mehan said its the 5th time marinello announces andrei signing with a ticked off of tone...

Last edited by canadiansbronco: 06-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old
06-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I don't understand the flak Marinaro keeps getting on this board. He's the most legitimate source on the habs there is. He's rarely wrong and has broken most of the recents deals/news ahead of everyone else (Latendresse deal, Jagr not being interested, Markov situation and more).

If he's wrong sometimes, he's not any more wrong than anyone else posting habs rumors.
Those 2 aren't true.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Warrior View Post
Those 2 aren't true.
He reported Jagr had approached the habs on possibly playing for about 2.5 and Montreal said thanks but no thanks. I remember posting that and everyone piled on and said Marinaro is full of it. He was right. And he reported Meehan was looking for around the same salary and they were negotiating. Explain how he was wrong

Old
06-23-2011, 12:57 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
He reported Jagr had approached the habs on possibly playing for about 2.5 and Montreal said thanks but no thanks. I remember posting that and everyone piled on and said Marinaro is full of it. He was right. And he reported Meehan was looking for around the same salary and they were negotiating. Explain how he was wrong
You got it, Jagr was interested and PG wasn't. The poster he quoted had it the other way around.

As for the Markov "situation", maybe he's arguing there is no "situation"

Old
06-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
If this is true then PG is a damn moron or something is known about Jagr that is not been made public. Signing him for three million would be a steal. Anything below is fantastic. Even if he put him 50 points, that is better than Cammalleri this season and we are paying him six million.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
If this is true then PG is a damn moron or something is known about Jagr that is not been made public. Signing him for three million would be a steal. Anything below is fantastic. Even if he put him 50 points, that is better than Cammalleri this season and we are paying him six million.
of course Cammy also missed like 20 games this season.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
of course Cammy also missed like 20 games this season.
Statistical percentage would average he would have scored 57 points on his current pace. Say Jagr signed for 3m and scored 50 as mentioned above. We're paying Cammy slightly north of 400k for each extra point. Like I said, while I do not believe this is true, if it is. PG is a damn moron. This is only emphasized when you consider Jagr could be a 70+ player at a fraction of the cost.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Statistical percentage would average he would have scored 57 points on his current pace. Say Jagr signed for 3m and scored 50 as mentioned above. We're paying Cammy slightly north of 400k for each extra point. Like I said, while I do not believe this is true, if it is. PG is a damn moron. This is only emphasized when you consider Jagr could be a 70+ player at a fraction of the cost.

and forget Cammy (whose playoff exploits help mitigate the disappointment he's been in the regular season given the contract we signed him to), does anyone really think that Jagr, right now, would be less effective than Gionta?

Jagr wouldn't come back to the NHL unless he believes he can still compete at a high level, and from what I saw of him this summer, there is no doubt in my mind he'd have more impact than a guy like Gionta... so even at 5M, odds are he'd still be a better bargain than at least half of our top 6 (gomez/gionta/cammy).

Old
06-23-2011, 02:13 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I agree. Honestly if Gauthier did say no to Jagr with those demands he should be fired for that.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:15 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

and forget Cammy (whose playoff exploits help mitigate the disappointment he's been in the regular season given the contract we signed him to), does anyone really think that Jagr, right now, would be less effective than Gionta?

Jagr wouldn't come back to the NHL unless he believes he can still compete at a high level, and from what I saw of him this summer, there is no doubt in my mind he'd have more impact than a guy like Gionta... so even at 5M, odds are he'd still be a better bargain than at least half of our top 6 (gomez/gionta/cammy).
Yes, except we don't have 5mil to squander if we want to ice a proper defense.

I'd be heavily disappointed if Gauthier confirms that he refused Jagr @ 3mil for 1 yr or so. I hope the reporters press him into talking about it.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post

I'd be heavily disappointed if Gauthier confirms that he refused Jagr @ 3mil for 1 yr or so. I hope the reporters press him into talking about it.
you're absolutely right...

given how poorly we've spent our cap space up front, and how many holes we still have, spending 5M$ on a UFA fwd is probably out of the question.

If it does come out that PG turned Jagr down at something around the 3M$ range, he deserves all the wrath from the fans/media he'll likely get, and from my pov, would indicate that he is clearly not the right GM for this team.

hopefully that's just another baseless rumour, and the truth is that PG has been aggressively pursuing him within the budget range that he has to spend on top-9 fwds.

it's situations like these that make me wish our organization was confident enough in their approach that they would have no qualms communicating their intentions, vision, and attempts to improve the team. For all the talk about "expect the unexpected", give me an open/honest/transparent organization over a secretive one any day of the week... it's not like our whole "tight to the vest" approach has actually benefited the team in any visible way when it comes to improving the roster.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:13 AM
TheBuriedHab

I don't think PG is a moron for passing on Jagr. I mean Pierre Mcguire who is really good friends with the Pens Gm said the penguins were only interested in Jagr at a Cap hit of only 1 million dollars. There are question marks about his on ice game, but he also said its well known that Jagr is a huge Diva.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I don't think PG is a moron for passing on Jagr. I mean Pierre Mcguire who is really good friends with the Pens Gm said the penguins were only interested in Jagr at a Cap hit of only 1 million dollars. There are question marks about his on ice game, but he also said its well known that Jagr is a huge Diva.
This may just be me, but I'd hope that the Habs would be professional enough to be able to put up with a guy even if he was a humongous ***** for a year if he significantly helped the team for low cost.

Like Gionta's height, Gill's speed and Pyatt's offense, sometimes you overlook something that can be important if overall you are better for having the guy. Personality might be one of those things as well.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
MAG update

It would be nice to get Markov locked up so we can maybe make a move with Wisniewski...if nothing else than to move from the 3rd to the 2nd round, there will be some pretty good pickups in the 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post

I can see investing that money in guys like Laich Upshall Torres Langenbrunner Cole etc that would help our 5 on 5 offense with their style of play. We don't lack skill up front, we need guys to play with those skill guys that don't mind sticking their nose in the corners and driving the net. Frolov is another guy I'd look at, he has very good skill, above average size and is strong along the boards.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:56 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
MAG update

The last part confirms what I thought, Tony Marinaro is a clown.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

This thread is hilarious...

You guys want Jagr to sign here but doesn't Markov too sign because he is getting too old ?

Old
06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
This may just be me, but I'd hope that the Habs would be professional enough to be able to put up with a guy even if he was a humongous ***** for a year if he significantly helped the team for low cost.

Like Gionta's height, Gill's speed and Pyatt's offense, sometimes you overlook something that can be important if overall you are better for having the guy. Personality might be one of those things as well.
The problem with letting a diva join the team, especially a huge star like Jagr, is that you're modifying your leadership chemistry, which is probably one of the hardest thing to get right, and something the habs have struggle so much for so long. Right now, we have a hard working team that respect the game plan, and this has allow us to have some interesting success during the playoff. I don't want a guy like Jagr to come play for us, question the game plan, challenge the coach, and be a bad example for our young players. Not saying that Jagr would do all this, but just that's it's a risk, and one I wouldn't ignore.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The problem with letting a diva join the team, especially a huge star like Jagr, is that you're modifying your leadership chemistry, which is probably one of the hardest thing to get right, and something the habs have struggle so much for so long. Right now, we have a hard working team that respect the game plan, and this has allow us to have some interesting success during the playoff. I don't want a guy like Jagr to come play for us, question the game plan, challenge the coach, and be a bad example for our young players. Not saying that Jagr would do all this, but just that's it's a risk, and one I wouldn't ignore.
Plus Jagr's game dosn't fit the fast paced, up tempo game that they are trying to create.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The last part confirms what I thought, Tony Marinaro is a clown.
That's not what Arpon Basu thinks :

Of course, Markov is not yet signed either, at least not officially. The Team 990's Tony Marinaro is reporting a two-year contract worth $11.5 million is on the verge of being signed (those terms sound familiar). Keep in mind, this is the same guy who broke the exact diagnosis of Markov's knee injury weeks before the team released it. Just saying.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

Old
06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Got to give credit to Tony, he does have connections, he was also the first to report the Price/Markov situation, so the guy does know a thing or two.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM

I don't know why we're discussing the validity of Tony Marinaro...doesn't take a genius to know the Habs were going to bring back Markov.

Closed Thread