HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Media availability during playoffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
  #1
GardenRomer*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Media availability during playoffs

Just curious after everything that went on with Lou's critique of Thomas and Keslers "I'll watch the tape" scrum that Vancouver management should encourage players that had a rough night or emotional ride to just avoid the media completely post-game?

I think the max fine is $2500 to the offending player and it might help to avoid the sideshow and bulletin board material like "I didn't bite him"

I think Luongo makes himself too available to the media to his own detriment.

GardenRomer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
  #2
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
They have to be available after the game.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:47 PM
  #3
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 500
Just tell them not to say anything interesting, win or lose.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
  #4
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre
 
Anzes Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
They have to be available after the game.
yes, but this is enforced by the fine. The point being made is it might be worth the fine.

My 2c... This can be done on a personal level but if the NHL catches any management recommendations for its players to avoid the media, it will be in deep trouble with the league. TV revenue is a major source of income and teams not fully participating as outlined in the contract, could have some legal implications.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:55 PM
  #5
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country:
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 325
Yeah but you can simply instruct them to say "no comment" after every question, and it would still count as an interview.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
  #6
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
I really don't see it as a big issue. Everyone (mostly media types) is clamoring to find these reasons for the Canucks losing in the SCF, from Rome hitting Horton, to Luongo answering a question about the winning goal in game 5, to Burrows biting Bergeron, or Kesler's demeanor, it's all just a bunch of hogwash. The Canucks lost to a team that was playing much better than them and was much, much healthier. It's as simple as that. All the sideshow stuff was inconsequential.

That doesn't mean they can't improve certain things in how they handle the media or how they carry themselves, but those are minor adjustments that would have had little effect on the series. These were professional athletes playing for the Stanley Cup; they don't need to read the other team's press to get motivation.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:11 PM
  #7
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre
 
Anzes Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I really don't see it as a big issue. Everyone (mostly media types) is clamoring to find these reasons for the Canucks losing in the SCF, from Rome hitting Horton, to Luongo answering a question about the winning goal in game 5, to Burrows biting Bergeron, or Kesler's demeanor, it's all just a bunch of hogwash. The Canucks lost to a team that was playing much better than them and was much, much healthier. It's as simple as that. All the sideshow stuff was inconsequential.

That doesn't mean they can't improve certain things in how they handle the media or how they carry themselves, but those are minor adjustments that would have had little effect on the series. These were professional athletes playing for the Stanley Cup; they don't need to read the other team's press to get motivation.
Talking to the Media is handled by VP communications: T.C. Carling and Ben Brown. I'm sure there are instructions trickling down to the players on how to handle media and when to say no comment or just talk "hockey"...

"we need to go out and play 60 minutes."
"we need to go in the corners and win those battles."
"we win as a team and lose as a team."
"I've been pumping Tim Thomas' tires..."

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
  #8
Sedinery2011
Registered User
 
Sedinery2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Gillis needs to do something...tell the players to answer questions but basically not saying anything. I'm really sick and tired of media scum twisting words and taking things out of context to **** the Canucks over.

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:32 PM
  #9
cleverusername
Registered User
 
cleverusername's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH and Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Yeah but you can simply instruct them to say "no comment" after every question, and it would still count as an interview.
This.

Or answer the question with something completely unrelated and troll the hell out of the media. Luongo answering that question about the game 5 goal with a long winded story about how he learned to tie his shoes would not have led to the giant overblown fiasco that his real answer did.

cleverusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
  #10
GardenRomer*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Yeah but you can simply instruct them to say "no comment" after every question, and it would still count as an interview.
We'll most likely never know but a few beat writers (not Canucks) speculated on twitter about Keslers 'ill watch the tape' scrum and guessed he would be fined by the league.

GardenRomer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:03 PM
  #11
GardenRomer*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
This.

Or answer the question with something completely unrelated and troll the hell out of the media. Luongo answering that question about the game 5 goal with a long winded story about how he learned to tie his shoes would not have led to the giant overblown fiasco that his real answer did.
Sports reporters are employed by huge media conglomerates itching for sales and website hits. That would be beyond rude and extremely condescending to a writer just trying to do his job.

Losing pitchers in baseball are very rarely available to the media. I'm just suggesting Luongo might be better off paying the fine after getting shelled and pulled in the first period of a big playoff game. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

GardenRomer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
  #12
GardenRomer*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25EvaJ View Post
Talking to the Media is handled by VP communications: T.C. Carling and Ben Brown. I'm sure there are instructions trickling down to the players on how to handle media and when to say no comment or just talk "hockey"...

"we need to go out and play 60 minutes."
"we need to go in the corners and win those battles."
"we win as a team and lose as a team."
"I've been pumping Tim Thomas' tires..."
That may be fine day to day but sometimes emotion takes over. Burrows was clearly fighting back tears on the bike after the Auger incident.

GardenRomer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:12 PM
  #13
cleverusername
Registered User
 
cleverusername's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH and Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenRomer View Post
Sports reporters are employed by huge media conglomerates itching for sales and website hits. That would be beyond rude and extremely condescending to a writer just trying to do his job.

Losing pitchers in baseball are very rarely available to the media. I'm just suggesting Luongo might be better off paying the fine after getting shelled and pulled in the first period of a big playoff game. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Everyone knew the reporter was baiting him. Reporters shouldn't bait the players, that's just as rude. If I'm Lu someone made such an obvious attempt to get me to disrespect a great goaltender and fellow player in Thomas in some way, shape, or form, I either refrain from answering the question or I give him a lot of nothing, to show that I knew what he was doing and that I don't appreciate it.

cleverusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
  #14
GardenRomer*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Maybe to put a spin on my original post there seems to be nothing stopping the owners/operators of Rogers Arena from 86'ing any reporter from the building, at least in Canada. Easy solution is to ban whoever asked the question about fans cheering Luongo getting pulled (lalji? Friedman?) NYI did similar to Botta under completely different circumstances with no official repercussions.

That should eliminate the financial and gossip strain on the original player and shift it onto a private entity with much deeper pockets.

GardenRomer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
  #15
GardenRomer*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
Everyone knew the reporter was baiting him. Reporters shouldn't bait the players, that's just as rude. If I'm Lu someone made such an obvious attempt to get me to disrespect a great goaltender and fellow player in Thomas in some way, shape, or form, I either refrain from answering the question or I give him a lot of nothing, to show that I knew what he was doing and that I don't appreciate it.
If I'm the business owner my $10m crown jewel of the organization isn't wasting any mental effort defending or explaining his performance to the media. No way.

GardenRomer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:26 AM
  #16
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinery2011 View Post
Gillis needs to do something...tell the players to answer questions but basically not saying anything. I'm really sick and tired of media scum twisting words and taking things out of context to **** the Canucks over.
This. Personally I'd love to see the boys give nonsensical answers and troll the **** out of the media... would make for a more interesting story than the pre-concocted one they had ready for tomorrow's paper anyway.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:34 AM
  #17
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenRomer View Post
If I'm the business owner my $10m crown jewel of the organization isn't wasting any mental effort defending or explaining his performance to the media. No way.
Hence Aquilini's supposed curse-filled rant at the media after Game 7?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.