Old
06-21-2011, 08:00 PM
scoringmachine

vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire Mock Draft

Here is what Pierre McGuire thought Calgary should draft

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369612

Quote:
McGuire thought Calgary would best benefit from the play-making and vision of Saint John centre Zack Phillips at number 13. He would then address Montreal's need for big-bodied forwards with Brandon Saad at 17.

"They've been dying for a centre in Calgary, and Phillips is a great fit," McGuire explained, adding "Brandon Saad's fallen down the rankings, but Montreal needs to get more physical."

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:28 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Looks like his rationale for the whole mock draft is hole filling rather than BPA. That's why I take his draft commentary with a grain of salt

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Looks like his rationale for the whole mock draft is hole filling rather than BPA. That's why I take his draft commentary with a grain of salt
This. While it's easy to pick and choose in a mock draft as to who would be the ideal player, I'm sure that Feaster will have a problem with (and probably in a good way) about which guy to take.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:55 PM
brewski1810

mock draft

personally i would much rather have schefiele than zack p, i think he has greater offensive potential, hes bigger and is a better skater. philips apparently is a sub par skater, although he is likely more nhl ready than schefiele. craig button had schefiele going 14 to dallas, would be surprised to see him go higher on friday.

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Honestly, Ill be happy with whoever, just keep the damn pick. I'd like Schefiele though.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Honestly, Ill be happy with whoever, just keep the damn pick. I'd like Schefiele though.
I'd like to see us trade up. Something with NJ or OTT around Bouw. I know he will be missed on our d-line, but we could potentially grab a great prospect.

ie Bouw and the 13th for 4th/6th and Rolston/Kuba from NJ and OTT respectively.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
I'd like to see us trade up. Something with NJ or OTT around Bouw. I know he will be missed on our d-line, but we could potentially grab a great prospect.

No chance that either of those would happen. Ottawa for the obvious reasons. NJ would stay away from doing so because while they have the space for Parise, adding JBo doesn't make things easier.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

Wow...absolutely not.

We get far worse now, and seemingly have no idea if we get better in the future.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:30 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:

Double post.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 06-21-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 10:37 PM
BenThatcher

Usually there are only one or two players a year that get drafted and stick in the NHL immediately after. Why would anyone draft for need? Most players are 3-4 years away from breaking into the NHL. This is why I would much rather the NHL drafted 20 year olds instead of 18 year olds. For every one Crosby or Ovechkin there are hundreds of kids who don't make it right out of the first training camp.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
This. I'm hoping to see Schefiele picked at 13th, if there is no one better available.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Doogee
Cammy!

Let's hope Zibanejad slips to 13th

Doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I made this suggestion before and I think its a good idea. Calgary could trade our 13th and Sarich to Columbus for their 8th pick. At that spot we should be able to grab one of Couturier or Zibanejad. That would also give us the cap space to resign Babs. While he is not the defensive d-man that Sarich is, he is still a pretty dam good d-man.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I made this suggestion before and I think its a good idea. Calgary could trade our 13th and Sarich to Columbus for their 8th pick. At that spot we should be able to grab one of Couturier or Zibanejad. That would also give us the cap space to resign Babs. While he is not the defensive d-man that Sarich is, he is still a pretty dam good d-man.
not nearly enough to make CLB bite. If they wanted to move that pick, they could probably get a lot more then Sarich to fill the gap from 8-13.

Just me speculating, but I imagine any top 10 pick holds a pretty high value for this draft.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
not nearly enough to make CLB bite. If they wanted to move that pick, they could probably get a lot more then Sarich to fill the gap from 8-13.

Just me speculating, but I imagine any top 10 pick holds a pretty high value for this draft.
I guess it depends on who they are targeting at #8. I do know that the Jackets are desperate for a defensive d-man and I think Sarich is someone they would really like. If they have someone like Schefiele high on their list because they are tired of drafting under performing Europeans, then maybe they would do it. I think I would make a deal sending our #1 and Bouque just to get into the top 5 also.

Rob Kerr said he thinks the Flames will trade down because they only have 5 draft picks, I say screw that and if anything I want to trade up! I think we are going to be in a position to aquire 1 or possibly 2 more picks at this draft. We need to clear cap space so I think we will see 1 or 2 deals be made. Hagman is the most likely, and possibly Stajan may be on his way out.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post

And from the sounds of things, its the top 9. There is a general consesus of all players that will go in the top 9, maybe not in the same order, but all the same players. Apparently after 10, things drop off big time and alot levels out.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I guess it depends on who they are targeting at #8. I do know that the Jackets are desperate for a defensive d-man and I think Sarich is someone they would really like. If they have someone like Schefiele high on their list because they are tired of drafting under performing Europeans, then maybe they would do it. I think I would make a deal sending our #1 and Bouque just to get into the top 5 also.

Rob Kerr said he thinks the Flames will trade down because they only have 5 draft picks, I say screw that and if anything I want to trade up! I think we are going to be in a position to aquire 1 or possibly 2 more picks at this draft. We need to clear cap space so I think we will see 1 or 2 deals be made. Hagman is the most likely, and possibly Stajan may be on his way out.
I can see Sarich and Hagman going. Although if we don't sign Tangauy, I'd keep Hagman. I imagine Kotalik is gone regardless of a trade or not.

What this team really needs is someone to impress out of camp.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
The Jackets would be pretty happy with anybody at 8. Moreso a defenseman like Hamilton, less so Murphy but it's not like they'll want to move that pick for anything more than a established top 4 defenseman with the ability to play top pairing minutes. Sarich is not that player unfortunately so a deal like that won't happen.

As for moving Bourque to get into the top 5, I'd have to say this is more of a backwards move than anything. He's still only 29 and there won't be anybody to fill his offensive output, no matter how inconsistent it is.

And for cap space, I'm betting on Hagman and Kotalik. Stajan stays which I'm fine with.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I don't think there is too much wrong with drafting to fill holes, but I do not think this should be the strategy for a team all the time. If an organization like the Flames lacks skilled, playmaking centremen, then it makes sense that those are the types of players that they go after. I would say in the NHL this is how the majority of teams strategize their drafts to compete against other teams in their division. I think that a team should have a plan going into the draft, but also they should have everyone rated accordingly and if someone that you had ranked really high falls to you, then you take him even if that was not the position you were trying to draft for.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
The Jackets would be pretty happy with anybody at 8. Moreso a defenseman like Hamilton, less so Murphy but it's not like they'll want to move that pick for anything more than a established top 4 defenseman with the ability to play top pairing minutes. Sarich is not that player unfortunately so a deal like that won't happen.

As for moving Bourque to get into the top 5, I'd have to say this is more of a backwards move than anything. He's still only 29 and there won't be anybody to fill his offensive output, no matter how inconsistent it is.

And for cap space, I'm betting on Hagman and Kotalik. Stajan stays which I'm fine with.
You and Gnome definitely make good points and are likely right, my point ist that we should not have to massively overpay to move up just 5 spots when Columbus will still be getting a solid pick at 13. Maybe we could kick in a 3rd round pick and the Jackets give us a back a 6th or something?

And regarding Bourque, I'm not so sure its a backwards move. Maybe for next season, but not beyond that. Bourque is pretty much a really good 2nd line winger, maybe a top line winger on some teams. He has allstar potential, but he is just so inconsistent and injury prone at times. Any player we would hypothetically draft in the top 5 would be a top line player/centreman, or a top pairing d-man. They would likely have a bigger impact than Bourque would in 3 years (and for many years down the road) and would have a smaller cap hit. Definitely a sacrafice for the immediate future, but it would be a huge benefit long term.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
You and Gnome definitely make good points and are likely right, my point ist that we should not have to massively overpay to move up just 5 spots when Columbus will still be getting a solid pick at 13. Maybe we could kick in a 3rd round pick and the Jackets give us a back a 6th or something?

And regarding Bourque, I'm not so sure its a backwards move. Maybe for next season, but not beyond that. Bourque is pretty much a really good 2nd line winger, maybe a top line winger on some teams. He has allstar potential, but he is just so inconsistent and injury prone at times. Any player we would hypothetically draft in the top 5 would be a top line player/centreman, or a top pairing d-man. They would likely have a bigger impact than Bourque would in 3 years (and for many years down the road) and would have a smaller cap hit. Definitely a sacrafice for the immediate future, but it would be a huge benefit long term.
Unfortunately when we're trading for the biggest piece, overpayment will typically become the norm. I just don't think that Sarich is the player that the Jackets are looking for, no matter how much he might contribute to the team. Giordano is a guy I'm sure they'll be interested in only but by then, conversations are already over.

The thing with a trade involving Bourque and the top 5 teams will involve us giving even more, which again is necessary, will just be too expensive. I just can't see any of those teams being interested in Bourque where adding the 13th will be enough. If we can get some value back in another 2nd round pick (probably asking for too much now) from 6-8, then there's a better possibility of being a trade that we can be content with.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Unfortunately when we're trading for the biggest piece, overpayment will typically become the norm. I just don't think that Sarich is the player that the Jackets are looking for, no matter how much he might contribute to the team. Giordano is a guy I'm sure they'll be interested in only but by then, conversations are already over.

The thing with a trade involving Bourque and the top 5 teams will involve us giving even more, which again is necessary, will just be too expensive. I just can't see any of those teams being interested in Bourque where adding the 13th will be enough. If we can get some value back in another 2nd round pick (probably asking for too much now) from 6-8, then there's a better possibility of being a trade that we can be content with.
I know the Avs would absolutely love Bourque on their team, especially after trading Stewart. However as you said, he and our 13th would not be enough to get the deal done. I'm not so sure it would be that far off though, maybe throwing in someone like Irving would be enough? I think I would be willing to part with that package for a chance to draft second overall. Man would that be a huge day for the Flames organization!

To Colorado:
Bourque
Irving
13th overall

To Calgary:
2nd overall

Old
06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
I know the Avs would absolutely love Bourque on their team, especially after trading Stewart. However as you said, he and our 13th would not be enough to get the deal done. I'm not so sure it would be that far off though, maybe throwing in someone like Irving would be enough? I think I would be willing to part with that package for a chance to draft second overall. Man would that be a huge day for the Flames organization!

To Colorado:
Bourque
Irving
13th overall

To Calgary:
2nd overall
I dont make that trade, not in this draft.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:16 AM
showtime8

I don't think that the Flames should do anything but pick at 13. There is no need to trade down because they have very few prospects of value that they would want to give up.

And if you can't move into the top 5, then the skill level of the players after that is relatively the same from 6-15. Just my own opinion.

Armia, Bartschi or Phillips would be guys that I could see Feaster and co. picking. But this is a very important decision for the organization with him at the helm.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:48 AM
saillias

I don't see where the hype for Phillips came from. We could have made the playoffs in 4th or 5th seed and still had a shot at him. I see at least 7 players I'd rather have at 13 for sure. Armia, Siemens, Bartschi, Grimaldi, McNeill, Schiefele and Oleksiak.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote