HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 07:01 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Kind of surprised at the Hammer news...that being said, as long as it's not more than 3.0M I'm OK with it...he had a good season, but I thought he was awful vs the B's in the playoffs...probably worn down as mentioned...needs less ice to be as effective as we would like him to be...

Old
06-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Gally11

I have nothing against signing hammr for the right price, but only if it means moving space goat.. if not it's kind of contradictory to what PG was saying about getting younger and faster... its weird lol

Old
06-22-2011, 07:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
He may not have EXPERIENCED the success... But he was the guy at the helm that BUILT the Senators, & the Ducks (the championship team). They made the finals the next year, and most of the same puzzle remained when they went for, and won the cup in '05.
You mean 07, no one won the cup in 05, lockout.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Kind of surprised at the Hammer news...that being said, as long as it's not more than 3.0M I'm OK with it...he had a good season, but I thought he was awful vs the B's in the playoffs...probably worn down as mentioned...needs less ice to be as effective as we would like him to be...
He's a suitable number 3 (ok, not great) as long as Markov stays healthy. If Markov goes down we are not going to be any better off then last season if Hamrlik is his replacement (minutes-wise). I'd prefer to see the money spent on Pitkaken or Ehrhoff.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You mean 07, no one won the cup in 05, lockout.
right many thanks

Old
06-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Craig71

What's with all the D signings. Gauthier said at seasons end that the Habs would not be paying as many defensemen in the 2011-12 season. If this(Hamrlik) rumor is true then it must mean that Mr Markov is going to test free agency. I like Markovs game and when healthy, he is one of our most valuable d men. The thing is though, how durable will he be after 2 knee surgeries? Does he get more than 1 year? I would sign him to 1 year only, with performance/games played bonuses attached.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He has terrible hockey sense in the O-zone, are you kidding me?

He's a savvy positional d-man who refuses to throw a hit, clear the crease and can't shoot the puck ever. He's the prototypical #3-4 but he's too old, too slow and too ineffective in the playoffs now.

He's always been a huge choker in the playoffs for the Habs, why do people gloss over this fact???

We're a top team now, no more BS, the Bruins won a cup, we need to as well.
His slapshot recently became almost as bad as Gill's, but I've seen him shoot tons of intelligent and well-timed wristers from the point that ended up as quality scoring chances. I agree that nothing was working for him during the playoffs though, he was constantly hitting shinpads, it was infuriating!

But he simply can't be as bad as you're pointing him out to be while still averaging 30 points seasons in the past four years (his best as a Hab being last season). If Habs can have him fulfill #4-5 minutes at less than 3 million next year, they're in good shape.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Nope, actually what I said is to not re-sign Hamrlik and to spend more money for someone younger and more talented. Keep grasping at straws.

I loved the guy 4 years ago, thought it was the best signing that offseason. Now he's nearly at the point of being a liability with his lack of speed.

There are better ways to spend money, even if it is just $2 million.
See, this is why you're statements come off as poor construted arguments. You talk about Gill getting more ice-time .. 7 seconds? Seriously. That's not even worth noting.

Now, two pages after you directly stated something, you change your mind and say that you didn't say it. Keep up the good work, champ. Here's the quote from you in all it's glory.

Quote:
Success = Stanley Cup. But keep striving for nothing.
Want to keep going? I'm done with you. Kthxbye.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Andros777

I want guys like Emelin and Weber to have lots of opportunities. Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, and (sigh) Spacek can eat a lot of minutes. The remaining space should be left for young defencemen.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I want guys like Emelin and Weber to have lots of opportunities. Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, and (sigh) Spacek can eat a lot of minutes. The remaining space should be left for young defencemen.
No way, now is the time to make a run.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
MTL-rules

I'd be very pissed if that's true... we need to get younger and better. Hammer's a decent player, but we NEED to replace him.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
See, this is why you're statements come off as poor construted arguments. You talk about Gill getting more ice-time .. 7 seconds? Seriously. That's not even worth noting.

Now, two pages after you directly stated something, you change your mind and say that you didn't say it. Keep up the good work, champ. Here's the quote from you in all it's glory.

Want to keep going? I'm done with you. Kthxbye.
Holy **** man, give it up. Read all of my posts instead of just picking one thing. I've put that statement in context time and time again.

[Play Nice]

Old
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
No way, now is the time to make a run.
Do you really want 3 fossils on our blueline?
Gill, Spacek and Hamr? Dont get me wrong, id rather have Hamr than Spacek so if
they trade Jaro, get Roman but if they plan on keeping Spacek, 2 oldies are enough.

I see some even saying Subban and Gill on the same pairing...please. Gill needs to be on the 3rd pairing with Spacek and play no more than 10-15 minutes including the PK.

Our top 4 need to eat up at least 20-23 minutes a game.

Markov, Subban, Gorges and one more defensive defenceman like Gorges (maybe a Brewer)
Heck, maybe Emelin could be our guy if he ajusts well.

Please, no more 35+ old defencemen.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Some of you need to calm your **** down. I've noticed it in multiple threads recently that people have chosen to demean people instead of arguing intelligently. Fair warning.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

For anyone interested here is some footage of Hamrlik practicing his pivotting this off season:

Old
06-22-2011, 08:23 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Holy **** man, give it up. Read all of my posts instead of just picking one thing. I've put that statement in context time and time again.

[Play Nice]
Yes, I said we've made the playoffs every year with Hamrlik as a top-2 defenseman.

You said "Success = Stanley Cup. But keep striving for nothing."

I countered with Markov has been our #1 defenseman for years and we haven't won the Stanley Cup and we've actually missed the playoffs at times.

And then you said I'm taking you out of context. How can that statement be changed for each specific player?

Old
06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Yes, I said we've made the playoffs every year with Hamrlik as a top-2 defenseman.

I countered with Markov has been our #1 defenseman for years and we haven't won the Stanley Cup and we've actually missed the playoffs at times.

And then you said I'm taking you out of context. How can that statement be changed for each specific player?
I'd say our defensive depth below Markov & Hamrlik was pretty bad at times. Komisarek played really well in 07-08, but other than that...

Old
06-22-2011, 08:40 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Because you used making the playoffs as some sort of positive for Hamrlik. Like it's a miracle we made it, and it was all thanks to him. Making the playoffs means nothing unless you win the Stanley Cup.

Then you turned my statement around saying we should trade Markov for Ference since only Cups matter. I never said to get rid of Hamrlik for a less talented player with a Cup ring. The idea is to spend more money on a more talented player that can perhaps get us closer to the Cup than Hamrlik did. Hamrlik was a small part of a team that has had limited success in the 4 years since he's been here. Why would we continue going the same direction? The team hasn't been anywhere of significance, unless you count getting slaughtered in the Conference Finals as a positive.

They should spend more money on an impact player. Not less money on a guy who might be an impact player if we ask him every now and then. The team has enough bottom pairing guys with (hopefully) Gorges, Gill, Weber, Spacek, Yemelin, Diaz.They only have two top guys in Markov and Subban that can play in any situation. Unfortunately I don't think Hamrlik is that guy anymore, and most don't, because a lot of the sentiment around here is "well it's okay if he only plays 14 mins a game". What's the point? We have enough guys that can play 14 mins a game. Give me a guy that can play 22.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:44 PM
OneSharpMarble

Our last two bad contracts are gomez and spacek, hamrlik for anything over 2.5per for 2 years is too much and he should walk. I don't mind him playing 18mins a night at most but it is time to move out the slow oldies and in with the fresh blood.

Once gomez is gone we will be free and clear to go after an excellent player or two to round out the roster. Right now we have to be careful.

Quote:

Wow just wow.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
odishabs

Markov - Yemelin
Subban - Gill
Gorges - Hamrlik

eh not bad, but i want Weber to see the ice,,.,.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Our last two bad contracts are gomez and spacek, hamrlik for anything over 2.5per for 2 years is too much and he should walk. I don't mind him playing 18mins a night at most but it is time to move out the slow oldies and in with the fresh blood.

Once gomez is gone we will be free and clear to go after an excellent player or two to round out the roster. Right now we have to be careful.

Wow just wow.
...or four? Once Gomez is gone, so are Cammy and Gio. If we wait until then to add another impact player, this whole Habs Makeover from 2 years ago will be yet another failed 5 year plan.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Mr Rogers

I'm not gonna lie i'm a little bummed by this news.

The team has the chance to build a really strong contender type D-squad this year with Mara, Sopel, Hammerlik and Gill possibly leaving thus providing room for improvements.

Keeping Gill... i don't mind so much, he's solid for what he's asked to do and brings intangibles. But then keeping Hammerlik aswell? We're not making any real progress here, its just a step sideways not forward. Adding a solid top 4 kind of guy to our core could make us that much stronger, yet we decide to stay the same?

If Hammerlik signs once more that means no Wizniewski or other top 4 UFA D.
What happens if after game 5 Markov is back on LTIR? We end up having the same situation as last year... a slow and old defence.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Wow just wow.
Yeah because I was serious. I was just making a point.

Of course I want Markov here. But Hamrlik is not a bad option especially for a #4/#5 instead of the #1/#2 he has been playing here.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:11 PM
neofury*

I just wanted to be a bad ass mofo and type in red

For all the flack PG gets around here about his track record, he's done just fine in his time here with Montreal.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. Let the guy do his job and after you're done seeing what he does then judge him. I don't see why people are jumping all over PG, if he signs Hammer, moves Spacek and then makes another solid signing (either top 6 forward or even Wiz) people will think he's a genius.

Give him a chance at least before jumping to conclusions. Past failures are meaningful in that he has experience and has possibly learned from mistakes of the past. You can't just assume because somebody struggled or failed in the past tha they won't succeed in the future. That's ludicrous and ignorant. So far his time here has been a success, give him one off season to actually prove what he can do before bashing the guy.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
...or four? Once Gomez is gone, so are Cammy and Gio. If we wait until then to add another impact player, this whole Habs Makeover from 2 years ago will be yet another failed 5 year plan.
Gionta is replacable, no biggie. Cammy will be here after this contract. It already is a failed "plan" if that is what it was in the first place. Don't expect to accomplish much with gomez eating up 20+ minutes a night while dragging 2 good wingers into the mud.

Closed Thread