HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 08:16 AM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
This organization never ceases to amaze me with some of their moves...

Hamrlik AND Spacek back??

The decision to bring Spacek back for this season was made 2 years ago when he was offered a 3 year contract.

Hamrlik hasn't even been offered a contract yet for 2011-2012.

Old
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Halpern was a valuable contributor, but the Habs can certainly live without him in the line up.

We need a different profile of players to play on the 4th line.

I am sick and tired to see the Habs being physically abused by Boston, Philly, and TO among others.
We need someone to replace his faceoff ability however... REALLY Badly. he's a rhs, and wins @ a 58% clip

Old
habitue*

Quote:
This organization never ceases to amaze me with some of their moves...

Hamrlik AND Spacek back??

Not much option because Wiz won't be back and Markov is on the bubble.

Both Hamrlik and Spacek love Montreal and their team.

On the left side, we could see Hamrlik, Gill and Spacek + Yemelin

On the right: Gorges, Subban , Weber + Yemelin (who can play on both sides like most Russians).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
We need someone to replace his faceoff ability however... REALLY Badly. he's a rhs, and wins @ a 58% clip
Winning face offs is overated. Kesler and Malhothra (two of the best in the business) have done squat in the Finals about it.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Must be trading coming if they offer Hamrlik a contract. Gorges?

Old
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Not much option because Wiz won't be back and Markov is on the bubble.

Both Hamrlik and Spacek love Montreal and their team.

On the left side, we could see Hamrlik, Gill and Spacek + Yemelin

On the right: Gorges, Subban , Weber + Yemelin (who can play on both sides like most Russians).
Good for them.
Markov and Wisniewski also love Montreal.

Bottom line is, it is terrible asset management to bring back these two dinosaurs. You find a way to dump Spacek, and you don't think twice about signing Hamrlik.

Gauthier should be fired if Hamrlik re-signs.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Halpern was more productive here just because of 1) a hot start, and 2) Boston had their top 6 healthy all year + WAAAAYYYY more depth up front then we did. At the end of the year they had Tyler Seguin, Jordan Caron, Micheal Ryder and Rich Peverly who could step up in a top 6 role if an injury happened. We had Travis Moen and Jeff Halpern. Hamrlik has no specialty whatsoever on the team and is not a top 3 defensmen anymore, to me that's a jersey filler. All of our other D's have specific tasks.

Maybe it's you who should get your head out of the stat sheets and watch the game....
Boston is one of the deeper teams in the NHL, that's how they won the cup. I think our depth is above average, we got very good production from our depth this past year, that was a big factor in finishing 6th and giving Boston a heck of a run despite 3-4 key guys out. Our top players for the most part had down years.

Where do you see the value in comitting 5 mil per year to Wisniewski when you have guys like Markov Subban Weber and Yemelin that can play the PP? You'll be shocked at what he ends up getting for a contract. People here are dillusional if you think we could have had Wisniewski for 4 mil cap hit and without going to 4-5 years.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Winning face offs is overated. Kesler and Malhothra (two of the best in the business) have done squat in the Finals about it.
How can winning faceoffs be overated? Especially in your own end??

Old
06-22-2011, 08:25 AM
gusfring

My God. Unreal. He's done. Can we please move on at some point?

Old
ScopeHockey

Quote:
So you're taking a sample of 7 games and reaching the conclusion that winning faceoffs is overrated?

And actually, wouldn't your argument better support faceoffs being important? If Kesler and Malhotra, who are normally good on draws, weren't in the Finals and Vancouver lost, wouldn't that mean that faceoffs likely ARE a key factor?

Old
JimmyDarmody

Keeping Hammer and letting Wiz walk would be such a bag of fail. Unfortunately Gainey's still behind the scenes so I wouldn't put this type of lunacy past the old bag.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No, please, no, god no.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Keeping Hammer and letting Wiz walk would be such a bag of fail. Unfortunately Gainey's still behind the scenes so I wouldn't put this type of lunacy past the old bag.
Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill....what a joke my friend.

Meanwhile we watch Markov and Wisniewski walk....

Comical

Old
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Wiz has finally the opportunity to test the UFA market. Why should not try ?

I am sure Gauthier would like to have him back, but not at any price either.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Good for them.
Markov and Wisniewski also love Montreal.

Bottom line is, it is terrible asset management to bring back these two dinosaurs. You find a way to dump Spacek, and you don't think twice about signing Hamrlik.

Gauthier should be fired if Hamrlik re-signs.
Terrible asset mangement would be dumping 25 mil into having Wisniewski here 5 years to be the #3 PMD behind Markov and Subban when you have young guys like Weber Yemelin and Diaz who will be able to fill those roles very soon. If we could sign him for 1 year at 4-4.5 mil I'd be all for it, but him and his agent are not stupid, they have a shot at a big UFA contract over 20 mil so they want a big long term deal.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:30 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i usually wouldn't care

but i have this weird feeling that it means no jagr. in which case: FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Old
06-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Terrible asset mangement would be dumping 25 mil into having Wisniewski here 5 years to be the #3 PMD behind Markov and Subban when you have young guys like Weber Yemelin and Diaz who will be able to fill those roles very soon. If we could sign him for 1 year at 4-4.5 mil I'd be all for it, but him and his agent are not stupid, they have a shot at a big UFA contract over 20 mil so they want a big long term deal.
Weber and Yemelin won't even have a spot in our lineup because of these old dinosaurs!!!!

I can't believe people supporting this move...

Old
06-22-2011, 08:34 AM
LyleOdelein

Maybe some people should hold off on the wrist slitting until something a little more substantial comes out.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I am okay with hammer back at 2y 3.5m (total) 2m/1.5m
then we trade spacek to buffalo for a 5th rounder.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill....what a joke my friend.

Meanwhile we watch Markov and Wisniewski walk....

Comical
Watch, the apologists will be out in droves when one of Markie and Wiz walk using Subban and Price's future contract as the reason we cheaped out... all while Gomez parade's around town with his fat gut hanging out and nobody thinks to cut his scrub ass loose.

Thanks Bob for being an unmitigated failure of a GM and quitting like a coward.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I believe the retard is more likely to be the one writing the post I've referenced, as opposed to a Princeton graduate who is articulate, well spoken and displays a ton of smarts on the ice.
The retard I was referring to was Kostitsyn, who can't be counted on to not be a complete liability on the ice for good portions of the year, which is why we have to rely on a role player like Halpern to play as a top-6 players for some games. This is IMHO what explains his offensive output being quite superior to the one of those 3 guys in Boston.

Quote:
For somebody that callsan NHL GM stupid your post doesn't make you look very bright.

I'm pretty sdure that once all is said and done Hejda and Brewer will cost about 3 or 4 times the investment that a guy like Hamrlik does. The part that you seem to be missing in all of this is that like Gill, if we re-sign Harmlik(hopefully conditional on Spacek getting moved) it will be a ONE YEAR deal meaning we don't have them on the cap the next 2 years when young guys like Price Subban Eller Pacioretty Yemelin etc will come up for big raises. If you give Brewer 4.25-4.5 mil per yer over 4-5 years(I figure that's about what he'll get as a UFA) that 4.25-4.5 mil is taking up space next year and the following one when guys like Yemelin and Weber will be cheaper options to step up into bigger roles.

How the hell do you know the efforts the team is making in negotiations? Do you have hidden cameras? Did you ever stop and think taht PG may have given Pacioretty's camp a bit more money to add a 2nd year, that way if he keeps progressing to 50-55 or more points in 2012-2013 that he'll be a big bargain at a 1.65 cap hit rather than having to pay him 3.5-4 mil per year?
1. Hejda and Brewer will ask for more terms partially because they're younger, better and fresher than a guy like Hamrlik or Gill. They also bring us some mobility on the back end, which we sorely lack.

2. We already have Gill and Spacek coming off the books next season, which gives us two roster openings for guys such as Weber. One of them will already make our top-6 this season anyway, which was a perfect situation to create a sane rivalry. Now, with Hamrlik, not only both won't have a top-6 spot, but we'll not add anything particular to our D-core. My point is, if you want to sign a good veteran d-man and you feel like you're missing one, you go towards the guy who'll bring the most to your group of players. Hell. Seguin wasn't even a regular in the playoffs for Boston this season. I doubt he's going to stop his progression because of that, and I doubt Boston isn't in a good situation. It just happens sometimes. That's what you call depth.

3. We signed a 38 years old Hal Gill to the same salary we did. We're rumoured to hae signed a Markov who played half a season in the last two years for the same salary, on a 2 years deal. And we gave Auld a contract 1 hour past the opening of the UFA market last season, for a generous 1M bucks. It just doesn't look like Gauthier is putting much emphasis in signing players to creative contracts. Really, do you consider any of the deals he signed this summer so far as being huge bargains? It's really not. Especially for Gill.

Quote:
You're really on a role this morning...

The quality of your posts are somewhere between the toilet and the septic tank.

The fact that Halpern could step into the top 6 and his line was productive showes his value and versatility. When you get a guy like that for 600k, it's a pretty ridiculous return on investment. If you can't see taht he was a more productive NHLer than Campbell Paille and Thornton then you're the "retard".
Yeah, I'm on a "role", and I'm the retard. Great.

Halpern doesn't bring that element which was lacking last playoffs against Boston. He's aging, likely to decrease in what he brings as a hockey player, and not worth re-signing.

The fact he broke our top-6 from time to time has nothing to do with his value. It has everything to do with the lack of depth of this organization up front. It was pathetic. We lacked of depth. No contender uses Halpern on a top-6. NO CONTENDER DOES. Watch Vancouver, Boston, Detroit, San Jose, even Philly. None of those teams use guys like these on their top-6. Dare I say, no playoffs team should have to do this. It was pathetic. And it has nothing to do with the quality of his work. It has everything to do with our incredible weak forwards core. If you can't see it, you're fooling yourself.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Why keep a young and grittier Wiznewski at 4.5-5M when you can have an old and slow Hamrlik at 4M?
Because Hammer is still a better 5-on-5 D-man than Wiz. So much so that they paired them up so Hamrlik could watch over the Wiz at evens.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Weber and Yemelin won't even have a spot in our lineup because of these old dinosaurs!!!!

I can't believe people supporting this move...
Exactly! And how can we be so sure that Weber, Emelin and especialy Diaz will become what we HOPE they will become?

We gave a 2nd and a 5th for Wisnewski, why is it so risky to have him here for 4-5 years at 4.5-5M per? Don't worry, they will have enough money for Price and Subban next year.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Wow, a lot of you seem to have thoughts about Hamrlik that just seem totally disconnected from my own subjective reality.

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to give Hamrlik an offer. Any team in the league can use him, and he has been a rock for us, so an offer should be automatic. It would be great to have him back.

There's zero conflict with the number of other players signed, or hoped-to-be-signed, because frankly Hamrlik is better than most of them. And depth on defense is very important.

The only caveats in the whole Hamrlik case are the $$$ and term. You make him an offer, no-brainer. But it's an offer that factors in his age and projection of a decreased role. If he's on board with that, great.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Exactly! And how can we be so sure that Weber, Emelin and especialy Diaz will become what we HOPE they will become?

We gave a 2nd and a 5th for Wisnewski, why is it so risky to have him here for 4-5 years at 4.5-5M per? Don't worry, they will have enough money for Price and Subban next year.
Because with bluechip talent like Weber, Emelin, and ****ing Raphael Diaz how can you not have faith in their ability to play big minutes in the NHL.

It's not that it's risky to keep Wiz, it's just that management doesn't have the slightest idea of how to improve a hockey team. Can't wait for our PP to suck the dink for the first half of the season until we sell off more assets for another player like Wizniewski.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
IMO, if it happens it means Spacek is gone. Which is fine by me.

Closed Thread