HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 500
I don't understand why this team seems to associate past success and age with talent. Gomez had previous success but he's not longer a good player. Hamrlik, though a hard worker, is way beyond his prime, and Spacek is even worse off than Hamrlik.

It's time that the team starts putting some faith in its younger players. They're never going to develop at 6 minutes of ice time per game. They need to develop at 18 minutes a night. I'm talking about Weber and Yemelin (Emelin?). Why keep them on the team if we don't include them in the plans?

Some decisions this team makes completely baffle me. I know they have other reasons for signing players, but it seems that they never take the leap, they're never willing to do something a little bit risky and because of that we're a middle-of-the-pack team. We don't need to be like Toronto, making drastic changes at every opportunity, but we need some balls.

Old
Ginu

I understand that this means Spacek has to be dealt because we have 8 defensemen competing for top 6 minutes.

What doesn't make sense to me is that we were over-loaded with left-sided D men to the point that Spacek was shifted to the right side.

Markov, Gill, Hamrlik and Emelin all play left side. Subban, Weber and Gorges play right. Emelin won't be forced to shift to the right side in his first year will he?

Something doesn't add up here.

Old
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
If the rumour is true and Hammer is re signed, then this team is completely regressing. Gauthier is a safe GM who does not take chances. Very vanilla. The Hammer signing willl mean that Emelin will be back in the KHL by October. Terrible vision from this management team
If Emelin is gone due to lack of ice time because we resigned and old man, then PG will have to answer for that. That would absolutely be brutal.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Zorba

Spacek is going no where. Gauthier an Gainey love these over the hill slow D men types. Weber and Emelin will be spares and I cant see Emelin no going to the KHL if he is not getting playing time. What makes even less sence is that if you combine Gills money and what they are offering hammer, Id say at least 3 million, that could have gotten us WIZ.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
If the rumour is true and Hammer is re signed, then this team is completely regressing. Gauthier is a safe GM who does not take chances. Very vanilla. The Hammer signing willl mean that Emelin will be back in the KHL by October. Terrible vision from this management team
This has to mean Spacek is gone. There's no way they brought Yemelin all the way over here to be an 7th-8th D. It just doesn't make any sense. After all these years of trying to get him over, they wouldn't waste it on making him a depth guy.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:28 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I read that as more PG saying he wants to get younger guys in there as depth, not necessarily have them in prominent roles. And despite that, we already have a 20 year old Subban in a prominent role, and a 27 year old top 4 defender UFA still in the locker room that would make us younger and deeper as well, if signed. PG has done exactly as he said, securing young depth in Diaz to add to potential young contributors in Weber and Emelin.
Maybe i wrote that wrong but that was the point i was trying to show the guy i was responding to. So many of our players just ran out of gas. it's not just the fans that want a younger d core.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Roulin

Quote:
The Hammer signing willl mean that Emelin will be back in the KHL by October.
There's plenty of room for Yemelin on the team. It's really not unusual for a team to carry 8 defensemen.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So peole blame Gauthier for playing it safe and not wanting to improve and that's a proof that he's old and washed up and yet, a young GM with a vision like Steve Yzerman just gave M-A Bergeron a 2-year contract....I'm rarely in sync with what this management is doing but people have the shortest of memory and not a whole lot of analysing skills. Hamrlik struggled towards the end of a season AFTER he had played a role he was not supposed to play. Now, the organisation believes that Markov will be healthy, that Subban will again see his responsabilities be upgraded that Gorges will be back and all...The chances that Hamrlike is again stuck with the same WAY TOO BIG responsabilities this year is very slim. And when he plays his role, he's VERY effective.

But no....Hamrlik sucks 'cause Paillé scored a goal and Hamrlik looked weak. I personnally think that there are other UFA that could be more interesting...and I listed a few...but Hamrlik is not THAT far behind like it or not. 2 years? That would be stupid and crazy. 1 year. No problem. If it means settling our defense and CONCENTRATING on the offense on July 1st, I have no problem with that.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Spacek is going no where. Gauthier an Gainey love these over the hill slow D men types. Weber and Emelin will be spares and I cant see Emelin no going to the KHL if he is not getting playing time. What makes even less sence is that if you combine Gills money and what they are offering hammer, Id say at least 3 million, that could have gotten us WIZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
This has to mean Spacek is gone. There's no way they brought Yemelin all the way over here to be an 7th-8th D. It just doesn't make any sense. After all these years of trying to get him over, they wouldn't waste it on making him a depth guy.
Yemelin has been playing 50 games per year in the KHL. As a 7D with the Habs, he'll get at least that many. If he's actually as good as his reputation, he'll steal one of the top 6's jobs.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So peole blame Gauthier for playing it safe and not wanting to improve and that's a proof that he's old and washed up and yet, a young GM with a vision like Steve Yzerman just gave M-A Bergeron a 2-year contract....I'm rarely in sync with what this management is doing but people have the shortest of memory and not a whole lot of analysing skills. Hamrlik struggled towards the end of a season AFTER he had played a role he was not supposed to play. Now, the organisation believes that Markov will be healthy, that Subban will again see his responsabilities be upgraded that Gorges will be back and all...The chances that Hamrlike is again stuck with the same WAY TOO BIG responsabilities this year is very slim. And when he plays his role, he's VERY effective.

But no....Hamrlik sucks 'cause Paillé scored a goal and Hamrlik looked weak. I personnally think that there are other UFA that could be more interesting...and I listed a few...but Hamrlik is not THAT far behind like it or not. 2 years? That would be stupid and crazy. 1 year. No problem. If it means settling our defense and CONCENTRATING on the offense on July 1st, I have no problem with that.
Great post WS...as usual!

Old
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Exactly my thought about it.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Hey, I'll join the circle jerk, because I think this post is bang on as well; especially the bold part.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:

Except we can all expect to be disappointed on July 1st as players like Gagne, Konopka, Cole, Stewart and Eager will all likely land places other than Montreal.

Where people are getting upset is that signing Hamrlik and retaining Spacek is killing minutes for players like Weber and Emelin. They are our future, not Hamrlik and Spacek.

At some point they have to give the keys to these young guys (i.e. Subban) and let them play. Of course they will make mistakes, but I would MUCH rather have Emelin and Weber making mistakes knowing they will improve then seeing Spacek and Hamrlik make mistakes. Subban had major growing pains this year, but it made him better in the long-run. We need to begin that process with Emelin and Weber. We already lost Hainsey because of a similar situation.

Instead, Weber will be forced to the press-box and Emelin back to the KHL by November if Martin has his way.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
If Emelin is gone due to lack of ice time because we resigned and old man, then PG will have to answer for that. That would absolutely be brutal.
If Emelin is gone it's because it won't have worked out for him here. For some reason, people think he'll just jump in without any problems.
He's likely to be on/off with Weber to begin the year.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
DJ Breadman

So who sits? We all know JM loves his vets so hammer and spacek are not going to sit, doesn't matter how bad they play. If weber sits that'll be a step back in his development, if Emelin plays well then he will have a top 6 roll. so who sits? This is just an idiotic move, hammer is over the hill we all saw that at the end of last year

Old
06-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
So who sits? We all know JM loves his vets so hammer and spacek are not going to sit, doesn't matter how bad they play. If weber sits that'll be a step back in his development, if Emelin plays well then he will have a top 6 roll. so who sits? This is just an idiotic move, hammer is over the hill we all saw that at the end of last year
Emelin and Weber sit.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Captain Saku

if they're not planning on trading Spacek then I don't understand this move at all.

Markov
Gorges
Hamrlik
Subban
Gill
Spacek
Yemelin
Webber

Does Gauthier really think we can win with this defense? We don't even know if Markov can be the same before his injuries.

Re-sign Hamrlik, trade Spacek and sign a top 4 UFA (Hamhuis/Pitkanen/Wiz/Kaberle) to have something that looks like this

Markov - UFA
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Old
06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Emelin and Weber sit.
Emelin won't sit after coming over from Russia, hence why Spacek has to be gone.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Emelin is gone it's because it won't have worked out for him here. For some reason, people think he'll just jump in without any problems.
He's likely to be on/off with Weber to begin the year.
Exactly.

Yemelin has a huge learning curve to take regarding NHL syle of play, rink size, language, new culture and environment. He is already 25. The older you are, the tougher it is.

Great to have Markov (and A.K. ?) aboard to facilitate the transition, somewhat.

Old
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Weber started last season as our 9D and still played 41 NHL games. As 8D, he'll get plenty of games, as well as practicing with the team. I'm not worried about his development.

Old
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:

Good post, BTW and pretty much how I view it.

Hamrlik was forced to gamble in the playoffs I'm sure more than he wanted to but Wiz was playing one armed and Gill offered no offense. It was left to Subban and Hamrlik to take the chances and play two way hockey. The D corps has been depleted 3 years now in the playoffs and Hamrlik's been taking the brunt of all criticism even when he plays good hockey which he has. Why he wants to come back for more I have no clue. LOL

Old
06-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Except we can all expect to be disappointed on July 1st as players like Gagne, Konopka, Cole, Stewart and Eager will all likely land places other than Montreal.

Where people are getting upset is that signing Hamrlik and retaining Spacek is killing minutes for players like Weber and Emelin. They are our future, not Hamrlik and Spacek.

At some point they have to give the keys to these young guys (i.e. Subban) and let them play. Of course they will make mistakes, but I would MUCH rather have Emelin and Weber making mistakes knowing they will improve then seeing Spacek and Hamrlik make mistakes. Subban had major growing pains this year, but it made him better in the long-run. We need to begin that process with Emelin and Weber. We already lost Hainsey because of a similar situation.

Instead, Weber will be forced to the press-box and Emelin back to the KHL by November if Martin has his way.
Or by the time the trade deadline rolls around, maybe Emelin and Weber have proven themselves more effective, and as long as these vets are signed to reasonable prices, they could be moved to a playoff team looking for cheap veteran depth before the playoffs. I believe even Spacek, with his 3.8M, would cost a team less than $1M to employ for the rest of the season + playoffs if traded at the deadline. If Hammer is signed for less than 3.8, then obviously he'd be an even cheaper option. Even if you only get a 7th rounder in return, it's better than letting them walk for nothing and going into the new season without any insurance.

There are just too many possibilities to be making doom and gloom "book it" predictions, as this offer to Hamrlik proves, in the wake of the Gill signing. Having said that, I believe the writing is on the wall that Spacek will be let go, and possibly before the season starts (but maybe well after July 1st hoopla dies down).

Old
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Emelin won't sit after coming over from Russia, hence why Spacek has to be gone.
Spacek is untrade-able, at least at this point.

He might be of some value to a team near the trade deadline, but that doesn't do anything for us right now.

I kept telling myself that Gauthier would trade Spacek if he could even get a 7th round draft pick for him, but the more I think about it, I actually believe he wants him in our top 6 to start the year. How else can you explain it if he is bringing his buddy Hamrlik back?

Old
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Weber and Emelin are not Subban. He was a superstar in the making and it was obvious to most. When you can jump in the POs and be that good on top of having a great rookie AHL year, there's no reason to doubt.

With Weber however, he needs to be brought in slower, and we're doing that.

Emelin is a complete project. He's never played in NA, so there's no way of knowing how he'll adapt to it right away. There are many cases of KHL players coming over (or SEL, etc..) to play right away in the NHL and fail massively. Why people forget this and think Emelin is pretty much a shoe in is a mystery to me.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Plus the big difference between Hamrlik and the UFA d-men that would be better is that not only will they have a bigger cap hit, they'll require a long term(4-5 years) commitment. The biggest problem with us re-signing Wisniewski isn't his cap hit for 2011-2012, it's that he'll require a 4-5 year deal...after next year not only will we have some of our young guys needing big raises but some of them will need bigger roles. I think within 2 years Weber will be at or close where Wiz is right now and cost 1/3 to 1/4 of the cap hit. Yemelin should also be pushing for a pretty big role as soon as next year.

Closed Thread