HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2011, 08:46 AM
  #76
ymorin007*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Maarten
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Wow, a lot of you seem to have thoughts about Hamrlik that just seem totally disconnected from my own subjective reality.

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to give Hamrlik an offer. Any team in the league can use him, and he has been a rock for us, so an offer should be automatic. It would be great to have him back.

There's zero conflict with the number of other players signed, or hoped-to-be-signed, because frankly Hamrlik is better than most of them. And depth on defense is very important.

The only caveats in the whole Hamrlik case are the $$$ and term. You make him an offer, no-brainer. But it's an offer that factors in his age and projection of a decreased role. If he's on board with that, great.
Cool we are in the same parallel universe.

ymorin007* is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:46 AM
  #77
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Wow, a lot of you seem to have thoughts about Hamrlik that just seem totally disconnected from my own subjective reality.

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to give Hamrlik an offer. Any team in the league can use him, and he has been a rock for us, so an offer should be automatic. It would be great to have him back.

There's zero conflict with the number of other players signed, or hoped-to-be-signed, because frankly Hamrlik is better than most of them. And depth on defense is very important.

The only caveats in the whole Hamrlik case are the $$$ and term. You make him an offer, no-brainer. But it's an offer that factors in his age and projection of a decreased role. If he's on board with that, great.
Same here. I never ever understood the hate he gets. I just don't understand. The only time he ever struggles is when he is put in a position he can't fill(#1 d-man shutdown type role). As a secondary shutdown pairing playing secondary minutes Hamrlik is as you said a total rock on the defensive side of the game.

I'd prefer not to sign Hamrlik only because I feel like there are some really good d-men on the market that I would like us to explore that are a little younger and can benefit us for a longer period of time(though they probably will be overpaid), but I won't be pissed if hamrlik re-signs. I'd pretty much be indifferent.

Andy is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:47 AM
  #78
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Boston is one of the deeper teams in the NHL, that's how they won the cup.
When did this happen? They're average at forward and quite shallow at D. They won because they have really good goaltending and their opponents didn't.

MathMan is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
  #79
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Wow, a lot of you seem to have thoughts about Hamrlik that just seem totally disconnected from my own subjective reality.

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to give Hamrlik an offer. Any team in the league can use him, and he has been a rock for us, so an offer should be automatic. It would be great to have him back.

There's zero conflict with the number of other players signed, or hoped-to-be-signed, because frankly Hamrlik is better than most of them. And depth on defense is very important.

The only caveats in the whole Hamrlik case are the $$$ and term. You make him an offer, no-brainer. But it's an offer that factors in his age and projection of a decreased role. If he's on board with that, great.
You're right. You never have enough NHL quality d-men. Last year, the Habs have to trade for Wiz, Mara and Sopel to save their lives + they had Picard as #6-7 most of the season (+ Festerling) . They gave up some pretty good assets to get them: draft picks + Lapierre + Maxwell + Festerling...

Hamrlik was the best d-man (steadiest) throughout the season. He was called to play too much, but that is another story.

habitue* is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
  #80
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,028
vCash: 500
If it's a 1-year offer for $2.5M or less, I'm estatic. Hamrlik has been incredible for us. If Markov can manage to stay healthy and we can keep Hamrlik's minutes down, he's going to be an absolute beast all season. Also, he's always been good with helping the kids dating back to Calgary. I would definitely be okay with Hamrlik chewing up bottom pairing minutes with Emelin or Weber. Gorges becomes a top pairing guy with Markov, which I'm more than fine with. Gill and Subban can stay together as well and build on their late season chemistry.

We haven't missed the playoffs since Hamrlik has joined our team. It's not a coincidence either. He was our most consistent defenseman last year until late in the season (again). The guy is overworked with the Markov injuries.

I'm super happy to have Hamrlik back. Would I love Wiz back? Yeah, definitely. But the chances were slim. I'd rather go into the free agency period looking for just one player rather than two. It's a lot easier for PG to focus on a top-6 forward if the defense is under wraps.

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Emelin/Weber

We do have to find a way to get rid of Spacek but I'm more than sure there will be a way to unload him to a bottom tier team or even a team like San Jose.

Hawkguy is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
  #81
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Weber and Yemelin won't even have a spot in our lineup because of these old dinosaurs!!!!

I can't believe people supporting this move...
I doubt these "old dinosaurs" will be here past 2011-2012. I think once Yemelin has his feet wet in the NHL they won't be able to not dress him...I think Weber is also approaching that point.

The only way I support the move is if Spacek get traded or put on LITR all year and his cap hit doesn't apply.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:49 AM
  #82
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
IMO, if it happens it means Spacek is gone. Which is fine by me.
It would be fine with me also but signing Hamrlik doesn't mean **** all regarding Spacek. It would only mean (for now) :

Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges-Emelin/Weber

WooooooooW!!!

If Spacek stays, he will play.

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:49 AM
  #83
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
What happened to getting younger and more mobile!!???
Did you say that when Gill was signed?

HCH is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:49 AM
  #84
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Same here. I never ever understood the hate he gets. I just don't understand. The only time he ever struggles is when he is put in a position he can't fill(#1 d-man shutdown type role). As a secondary shutdown pairing playing secondary minutes Hamrlik is as you said a total rock on the defensive side of the game.

I'd prefer not to sign Hamrlik only because I feel like there are some really good d-men on the market that I would like us to explore that are a little younger and can benefit us for a longer period of time(though they probably will be overpaid), but I won't be pissed if hamrlik re-signs. I'd pretty much be indifferent.
What makes you beleive that the Habs can sign any of them ? There is 29 other teams they can sign for.

better keep what you know and someone who really wants to play in Montreal than chasing some illusions.

habitue* is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:50 AM
  #85
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Hamrlik is still a top-4 D-man in this league. And it seems likely to me that if they make him an offer, they're going to move someone else (likely Spacek), either as a salary dump, perhaps in a trade for a forward?

I'd rather pay Hamrlik than either of Gill and Spacek.

MathMan is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:50 AM
  #86
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
It would be fine with me also but signing Hamrlik doesn't mean **** all regarding Spacek. It would only mean (for now) :

Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges-Emelin/Weber

WooooooooW!!!

If Spacek stays, he will play.
No Spacek on the right side...PLEASE !

let Gorges there.

habitue* is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
  #87
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
It would be fine with me also but signing Hamrlik doesn't mean **** all regarding Spacek. It would only mean (for now) :

Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges-Emelin/Weber

WooooooooW!!!

If Spacek stays, he will play.
If we sign Hamrlik and Markov, there is no way Spacek stays. Hamrlik will likely be brought back in a 3rd pairing role with 2nd PP duties. Think similar to a Brisebois role a few years back. He'll be playing with the kids (Emelin & Weber).

Hawkguy is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
  #88
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
When did this happen? They're average at forward and quite shallow at D. They won because they have really good goaltending and their opponents didn't.
What?? Averaging 3.7 goals per game during the playoffs is average? Shallow D?

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
  #89
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
The article says nothing about Gauthier offering Hamrlik a contract. It says that Petr Svoboda (Hamrlik's agent) is expecting an offer from Gauthier.

IMO, that doesn't mean anything. The offer might be 1.5 per for all we know.

bcv is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
  #90
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
If they're able to trade Spacek I'd like to see Hammer back. He's a rock, rarely injured, reliable and solid. He's saved our ***** twice now due to heavy injury on the back-end. I'd like to see him back personally.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:57 AM
  #91
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Snippin' Yank
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,265
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
It would be fine with me also but signing Hamrlik doesn't mean **** all regarding Spacek.
Of course it means **** all about Spacek (or the unsigned Weber). PG is clearly thinking of moving 1 of those guys, no way he'd be offering Hamrlik a contract just to be kind to him since he likes the city.

Unless their plan is to flat out go with 8 D's...which wouldn't be horrible considering how badly the injury bug has hit us the last 2 seasons.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
  #92
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 8,515
vCash: 500
I thought GMs always make offers to UFAs...

ThaDevilGirl is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
  #93
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If we sign Hamrlik and Markov, there is no way Spacek stays. Hamrlik will likely be brought back in a 3rd pairing role with 2nd PP duties. Think similar to a Brisebois role a few years back. He'll be playing with the kids (Emelin & Weber).
You don't get rid of Spacek like a used condom!

You can't bury him in the AHL, you can't trade him and at 3.8M you have no choice but to make him play. Mara was playing way better than Spacek but when Spacek returned from injury, he took his place back on the line up, avereging near 20 min per game, even if he was playing like ****...

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
  #94
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Wow, a lot of you seem to have thoughts about Hamrlik that just seem totally disconnected from my own subjective reality.

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to give Hamrlik an offer. Any team in the league can use him, and he has been a rock for us, so an offer should be automatic. It would be great to have him back.

There's zero conflict with the number of other players signed, or hoped-to-be-signed, because frankly Hamrlik is better than most of them. And depth on defense is very important.

The only caveats in the whole Hamrlik case are the $$$ and term. You make him an offer, no-brainer. But it's an offer that factors in his age and projection of a decreased role. If he's on board with that, great.
Voice of reason!

I'm not even that worried about the cap hit - anything up the 4mil would be digestible, as long as it's for only 1 year.

I think many folks maybe don't realize how much of a skill defensive decision making is? Gap control, covering the right forward/passing lane, making the right pass out of danger... Hamrlik has some valuable attributes.

I also many forget how many injuries teams regularly incur on defense... 8 deep is not a bad thing. I'm actually willing to bet #9 D, whether it be Diaz or Nash, gets a good amount of NHL games this year.

Roulin is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:00 AM
  #95
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
When did this happen? They're average at forward and quite shallow at D. They won because they have really good goaltending and their opponents didn't.
Must be why Kaberle was playing 10-12 minutes a night in the final and Marchand Recchi and Bergeron were scoring all the goals.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
  #96
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
People assume so much in life. They hear one little thing, and a whole series of fictive events unfold in their minds, based on their limited knowledge (everyone is) of that situation, and then they overeact tremedously to those very premature conclusions.

We need someone for the #3 spot. With the cap at 64 mil, and Markov (5,750), Gorges (2,5), Weber (1.1), White (0,7), Pouliot (1,35) and Auld (1) signed to these tentative amounts, we would have a 21 man roster with a little over 8 million to spare.

Signing Hamr might just mean they are keeping more money for a top 6 winger. It might mean a lot of things. But one thing is for sure, we will still have a very versatile defense, and people's view of that defense has been skewed by the fact that its best player was not part of the equation. We'll have about everything in that D, youth, experience, mobility, shot blocking, good PKing, good puck movement, good first pass, and a whole lot of depth in case of injuries.

Then there's the fact that the Habs will probably move. Pouliot and Spacek are almost sure to be on the block, and a few others who's future with the habs for the next season is not garanteed (AK, Gorges, Weber).

We should all remember that Gauthier might be conservative like BG, yet he still is a lot more active.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
  #97
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
What?? Averaging 3.7 goals per game during the playoffs is average? Shallow D?
Their goal-scoring was mostly due to the incompetence of three of the goaltenders they faced. After they went through Price, the best goaltending they faced was .903. .903! You expect better from an AHL call-up.

Their forward unit is okay, but it's not especially deep. Their D, on the other hand... Chara, then a drop to Seidenberg (a #4 D-man), then a drop to a bunch of bottom-pairing guys. It's shallow. And it showed: second-most shots allowed in the league.

Boston is getting way overrated. Especially their D. Wish people would set the hype aside and look at their roster a bit more closely.

MathMan is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
  #98
Habsland35
Registered User
 
Habsland35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
i am extremely happy about this if it does happen

i believe that theyre signing hammer to replace spacek...if they cant get rid of his salary i really feel theyll put him in the minors and just deal with the salary

hammer is miles better than spacek so if the habs have the space why not make that replacement

hammer as the habs number 5 would make the defense extremely solid

markov gorges
gill subban
hammer yemelin
weber

and with price in nets...its pretty solid

all they need to do now is sign a top 6 forward

Habsland35 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:04 AM
  #99
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Must be why Kaberle was playing 10-12 minutes a night in the final and Marchand Recchi and Bergeron were scoring all the goals.
Kaberle was playing 10-12 minutes a night because he was playing poorly, not because the Bruins are so deep they could afford to put a top-pairing D-man on the third pairing. If you get outplayed by Johnny Boychuk, you're in trouble.

Spare me the goal-scoring in the final. Luongo blew it. Recchi was a freaking boat anchor for Bergeron, who was used with Marchand and Recchi in an approximation of a second line because the Bs didn't have enough top-6 forwards to fill their top-6.

MathMan is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:08 AM
  #100
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Same here. I never ever understood the hate he gets. I just don't understand. The only time he ever struggles is when he is put in a position he can't fill(#1 d-man shutdown type role). As a secondary shutdown pairing playing secondary minutes Hamrlik is as you said a total rock on the defensive side of the game.

I'd prefer not to sign Hamrlik only because I feel like there are some really good d-men on the market that I would like us to explore that are a little younger and can benefit us for a longer period of time(though they probably will be overpaid), but I won't be pissed if hamrlik re-signs. I'd pretty much be indifferent.
I like Hamrlik, don't get me wrong. He seems like a nice guy, and he played well for us over the 4 years.

But it is time to move on and get younger. Having a defense of Subban, Gill, Gorges, Hamrlik, Spacek, Weber, Yemelin is downright ugly.

We had ample opportunity to drastically improve our D-core, get younger/tougher and more mobile.

Outside of Yemelin, this has not been addressed.

Gainey#1* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.