HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu's cancer.

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2004, 06:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazek
No, it was not a non-hodgkin lymphoma, it was a HOAX. I'm not here to troll, Saku is my favorite CH player. C'mon, he shaved his head before chemo, when we saw pictures of him during chemo he still has his head shaved. Have you ever seen someone on chemo? Your hair fall!! They don't look like shaved. Second, he won his battle against his suppose cancer in just 8 months!! I remember many testimony in the mtl media by people who had the same type of cancer, they all said that it took them at least three years to five years to return to autonomy. Autonomy, not playing in the playoff like Koivu did!! Third, that same year(2001-2002) Peter Forsberg took a sabbatical year. Can't do that in mtl!! Imagine the fans and the media in mtl if a player was to get a sabbatical year, he would be traded and would never come back in mtl. The two years before that Saku compiled just 78 games played, it was time for him to take a break and heal all his little and big injuries. Plus, it makes a great marketing story, our captain battles cancer and comes back!!! That's why i think it was all a hoax and a great one!!
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never researched Non-Hogdkin's lymphoma or any type of cancer for that matter.

Old
07-22-2004, 06:21 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu
Koivu is my favorite player and I was really shocked when I learned that he had cancer.

But this year during an Sports option class, the program for the 3rd session was drugs, steroids and **** like that used by athletes in sports . After a video, our professor had a reflexion about Koivu's cancer. He was finding really weird that someone that young and in this physical shape could have devellop this type of cancer (maybe this type of cancer touches young people...I don't know, but that's not the point). He follows hockey regularly and he had a very good point when he said that when Koivu arrived at Montreal, he was very small and now he's bigger, stronger... I don't mean that he's big but compare to what he looked like when he came in, that's suspecious. Poeple, including my professor thinks he used drugs to get in better shape and that's why he contracted this cancer. I know it's just a theory, but it's worth considering it... because we know that the use of steroid or other drugs of these types can lead to cancers.

What do you think?
Well, my mother passed away from stomach cancer at 39. Cancer especially stomach cancer can affect people at various ages, and you cannot do tests to determine stomach cancer until you basically get sick, which is what happened to Saku. (Throwing up on the plane I believe). Steroids do lead to various illnesses, but Saku wasn't much bigger, if at all, than he was before. If you need to see what steriods do to a body, take a look a Bonds when he was with Pittsburgh, and what he looks like today in SF. Saku has never went through a transformation like that. Cancer doesn't care if your in shape or not, and I find the entire thread kinda silly. The man had cancer, he took Chemo and beat it. Maybe we should get the myth busters to look into this.

Old
07-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
I distinctly remember Captain K sending out personalized E-mail Christmas cards when it was said he enjoyed a night out on the town... I received one, and he was just as The~Franchise put it... completely bald and about 120 lbs...

Also Gillette was hit pretty hard by the whole ordeal. I remember him going on CBC during the playoffs and tears were flowing as he made mention that Koivu was one of the bravest people he ever met. Furthermore, guys like Lance Armstrong came to visit him in the Cancer ward at the hospital. Gillette paid for the best service Koivu could ever wish to receive in regards to his cancer. There was absolutely no fakeness behind it. Captain Koivu was afflicted with the disease, he started feeling the symptoms in training in Finland (which he described as a sharp stabbing pain in his gut when he would draw a heavy breath during his skating excercises). Then he felt horrible on the plane ride to Montreal (word was that he was throwing up the whole way over). That's when he got checked out by the Hab's doctors, and diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma.

I remember this incident so vividly, as I was not exactly the biggest Koivu fan before hand (I remember posting such doozies as saying Koivu is the best second line center in the league... But not a First Line center ). Regardless of all that has/will be said about Captain K, he is the heart and soul of the Montreal Canadiens, his desire to succeed reminds me of the legends that wore this jersey that I only heard about. Watching # 11 give his huge effort (and subsequently giving hell to those that don't) game in, game out is what he's all about. I am glad that God gave him another chance to put things right in his career... Cause I have no doubt now that he's one of the elite... He's just waiting for the ammunition to be brought in, so he can prove it... (C'mon Kovy )

Old
07-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazek
No, it was not a non-hodgkin lymphoma, it was a HOAX. I'm not here to troll,
!!

um..I'd say , yes you are.

as a matter of fact in the years I've been here this may be the most inciteful and profoundly idiotic thing I've read.

say goodnight.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Closed Thread