HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who does Winnipeg select with the 7th pick?

View Poll Results: Who would you like Winnipeg to select at pick #7
Sean Couturier 41 36.94%
Ryan Strome 36 32.43%
Mika Zibanejad 18 16.22%
Dougie Hamilton 15 13.51%
other...please list 1 0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Semin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I think Couturier is gone by the time we pick. If he is there you take him if not take Zibanejad
Havent seen much of Zibanejad but would you take him over Strome? thats if Couturier is taken and at 7 both Zib and Strome are around.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander Byfuglien View Post
Havent seen much of Zibanejad but would you take him over Strome? thats if Couturier is taken and at 7 both Zib and Strome are around.
I think it depends on the direction management decides to take with this team. I personally think Strome is BPA over Zibanejad, but that's just my opinion. I really like Zibanejad, he brings a great package to the table. Size, strength, grit, right hand shot, versatility(wing or center), plays a strong 2-way game, good at face offs. His game has been compared on the high-end to a Forsberg/Holik type. At the same time scouts aren't sure whether his offensive upside is anything more than a 2C or 3C. He's improved his rankings the whole year and is playing in a good league(SEL).He's definitely a player that competes and works hard. I see no reason why he couldn't reach the level of a top 6 forward.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
When he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he absolutely disappears and doesn't contribute in other ways IE. back checking, positioning, team defense, cycling...etc. To me that screams lack of effort. I've also seen him and his 6'3 frame get easily knocked off the puck by smaller players. He's a one trick pony that does that one trick very well, but is missing a lot of valuable intangibles.
And you have seen how much of him?

Quote:
I know he's one of the younger players in the draft and still maturing, but he screams Phil Kessel(with height) to me and that's not the type of player we should be looking at.
A player able to score +30 goals? But yeah if we get lucky we will be getting more with another player.

Quote:
How would you compare him to someone like Mikko Lehtonen?
Well I don't really remember Lehtonen 6 years back, but atm a 24 yo Lehtonen is just about like a 18 yo Armia, only with more experience and muscle and with a better passing.

Quote:
His 2011 WJC effort was completely not there. I'll give you he was good at the U18 championships, against kids.
Again with the complete lack of effort... that was basically the only thing he had there. He was playing in a line that lacked any chemistry in a strange role with the worst luck.

Last edited by Juzmo: 06-22-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Semin

Quote:
I think it depends on the direction management decides to take with this team. I personally think Strome is BPA over Zibanejad, but that's just my opinion. I really like Zibanejad, he brings a great package to the table. Size, strength, grit, right hand shot, versatility(wing or center), plays a strong 2-way game, good at face offs. His game has been compared on the high-end to a Forsberg/Holik type. At the same time scouts aren't sure whether his offensive upside is anything more than a 2C or 3C. He's improved his rankings the whole year and is playing in a good league(SEL).He's definitely a player that competes and works hard. I see no reason why he couldn't reach the level of a top 6 forward.
Thanks for the insight. I hate watching the NHL draft and thinking "whos this guy?". Last year the only player I remember saying "whos this" too was Joey Hishon.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:05 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I hate watching the NHL draft and thinking "whos this guy?". Last year the only player I remember saying "whos this" too was Joey Hishon.
Joey Hishon??? Whos ths?

Did you ever find out?

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
TSN interviewed Cheveldayoff during their mock draft after they selected Hamilton for the team.

I don't think Cheveldayoff sounded thrilled with the pick -- he said nice things of Hamilton, but I don't think it'll be the direction they go in.

I'd look for one of Mika Zibenjad, Joel Armia, or Sean Couturier, if he's there.

Zibenjad would be my personal choice out of those 3.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
And have seen how much of him?
I've only seen him in international tournaments, but it seems scouts and analysts share the same opinion I have about him.

Quote:
A player able to score +30 goals? But yeah if we get lucky we will be getting more with another player.
You're looking at it all wrong, you're only seeing the statistics. I was mostly talking about Kessel being a one trick pony and not committed to play a better overall game. Plus I did mention how I thought Armia was one of the top pure scorers in this draft. I just don't like the other possible risks at the #7 pick.

Quote:
Well I don't really remember Lehtonen 6 years back, but atm a 24 yo Lehtonen is just about like a 18 yo Armia, only with more experience and muscle and with a better passing.
I'm a Bruins fan and know all about Lehtonen and his lack of effort. He didn't want to work on his defensive game in the AHL so he bolted for SM-liiga. I don't think Armia would do that, but I've seen comparisons to Lehtonen's talent level from knowledgeable people.

Quote:
Again with the complete lack of effort... that was basically the only thing he had there. He was playing in a line that lacked any chemistry in a strange role with the worst luck.
I watched him out there and he looked like a rover in a softball game. I'm sure his maturity had something to do with his lack of effort he put on display. I know someone who watched the games live and he mentioned about Armia not wanting to mix it up and looking outclassed. He lost battles and avoided contact and not in a good way. I still don't get how he projects to a power forward just because of his size. He doesn't use it!

Old
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
Joey Hishon??? Whos ths?

Did you ever find out?
Well after this year I know who Joey Hishon is haha.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
I've only seen him in international tournaments, but it seems scouts and analysts share the same opinion I have about him.
Would be suprised if any of those scouts and analyst who have wrote about him have seen more than the international games also. And if they have seen a bunch of SM-liiga games, well then they are just seeing some things in his game more alarming than I am seeing.

Quote:
You're looking at it all wrong, you're only seeing the statistics. I was mostly talking about Kessel being a one trick pony and not committed to play a better overall game. Plus I did mention how I thought Armia was one of the top pure scorers in this draft. I just don't like the other possible risks at the #7 pick.
Still not seeing him being a one trick pony, but whatever.

Quote:
I'm a Bruins fan and know all about Lehtonen and his lack of effort. He didn't want to work on his defensive game in the AHL so he bolted for SM-liiga. I don't think Armia would do that, but I've seen comparisons to Lehtonen's talent level from knowledgeable people.
Yeah, maybe right now the talent level is close while the age difference is 6 years.

Ps. And he went to Sweden, where he could still kick some butt while being as soft as a baby rabbit.

Quote:
I watched him out there and he looked like a rover in a softball game. I'm sure his maturity had something to do with his lack of effort he put on display. I know someone who watched the games live and he mentioned about Armia not wanting to mix it up and looking outclassed. He lost battles and avoided contact and not in a good way. I still don't get how he projects to a power forward just because of his size. He doesn't use it!
I don't know how could anyone think he would project to a power forward... I mean he still lacks the muscle and isn't hitting players just for the sake of hitting, but he totally isn't afraid (of contact) on the ice from what I have seen. And I mean his body still can't handle everything when the idea wasn't that he would be playing a whole season in SM-liiga and two junior tournaments.

But because we have totally different ideas of the player and it seems like they aren't going to change from either one... I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

Last edited by Juzmo: 06-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
But because we have totally different ideas of the player and it seems like they aren't going to change from either one I'll just wait for the draft.
I agree. I just want you to know I'm not saying he's not a good young talent, just that there are some risks associated with him and I wouldn't take him at pick #7. If we were picking 12-20, then I'd be more interested. I just don't think Winnipeg can take any type of risk. IMO They need to hit on their 1st rounder.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
The Saw Is the Law

I bet they 'want' to draft good old canadian kid playing centre position.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:48 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
i just can't see Sean Coutourier falling to us, hopefully Strome does but having Dougie Hamilton as a plan C wouldn't be too bad i guess

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
I think Zib fits in more with the team with Strome. We have Little who is a smaller number 2 center already seems like a good fit would be the bigger robust Zib to center a future number one line like Ladd-Zib-Kane. 3 big guys who could really cause some havoc on teams. Would allow Little's second line easier minutes and more productivity playing against lesser opponents

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
I agree. I just want you to know I'm not saying he's not a good young talent, just that there are some risks associated with him and I wouldn't take him at pick #7. If we were picking 12-20, then I'd be more interested. I just don't think Winnipeg can take any type of risk. IMO They need to hit on their 1st rounder.
Yeah and I can understand why you would think that. It would just be the perfect scenario for me if things would actually work out.

Well the scouts know what they are doing and hopefully the draft ends up going great for us whoever we might draft.

A bit iffy about Zibanejad, I just have a feeling he would just become a solid third line center because he would not have the skills to play in the top-2 lines.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I think Couturier is gone by the time we pick. If he is there you take him if not take Zibanejad
I agree, but I'm holding out hope he's still available.

The top four picks will probably be RNH, Larsson, Landeskog and Huberdeau (not necessarily in that order).

The Isles are rumored to be interested in one of the Ice Dogs (Hamilton or Strome) and Ottawa is supposedly interested in Strome and Zibanejad.

If neither team takes Couturier instead, it's possible he falls to #7.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Hawker14

Please let it be dougie hamilton

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I agree, but I'm holding out hope he's still available.

The top four picks will probably be RNH, Larsson, Landeskog and Huberdeau (not necessarily in that order).

The Isles are rumored to be interested in one of the Ice Dogs (Hamilton or Strome) and Ottawa is supposedly interested in Strome and Zibanejad.

If neither team takes Couturier instead, it's possible he falls to #7.
It's more of a possibility than most think. A few month's ago, I wouldn't even suggest the thought. Today, it seems closer to a possibility. I know other teams would have to pass on him, but maybe they like other players better. Either way, I think we realistically get 1 of the 4 guys in this poll.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I wonder if Cheveldayoff will pull a Darryl Sutter and trade the 7th pick to move up or down?

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Could definitely see the Isles drafting one of Hamilton or Strome. I could also see the Sens having interest in Strome, but I have a feeling they wouldn't pass on Couturier for Zibanejad, just a hunch. I'd love to be wrong, because I'd love Couturier as he's my top pick in our range *if* he were to fall to us.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I wonder if Cheveldayoff will pull a Darryl Sutter and trade the 7th pick to move up or down?
Let's hope no one pulls a Darryl Sutter around here. He ran that teams prospect depth into the ground, signed terrible contracts and made poor quantity for quality trades. He certainly didn't shop his goods around, before selling them off

Old
06-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Could definitely see the Isles drafting one of Hamilton or Strome. I could also see the Sens having interest in Strome, but I have a feeling they wouldn't pass on Couturier for Zibanejad, just a hunch. I'd love to be wrong, because I'd love Couturier as he's my top pick in our range *if* he were to fall to us.
It's a tough call. My hunch tells me Ottawa makes the first surprise pick with Zibanejad. Drafts don't usually go as scripted, especially one like this where the top 9 are so similar in value.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Let's hope no one pulls a Darryl Sutter around here. He ran that teams prospect depth into the ground, signed terrible contracts and made poor quantity for quality trades. He certainly didn't shop his goods around, before selling them off
I agree!

My biggest nightmare was he would be hired as GM by TNSE and bring in Keenan as head coach.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Noeller

Couturier is definitely the guy you want, but I'd be stunned if he's available at 7. Hoping Strome falls to us, but failing that, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Yeah, they need a strong young Centre to develop, but after the Top 5, it's really Best Player Available.

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
Couturier is definitely the guy you want, but I'd be stunned if he's available at 7. Hoping Strome falls to us, but failing that, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Yeah, they need a strong young Centre to develop, but after the Top 5, it's really Best Player Available.
Hold out hope that someone picks a Jade Etienne, dropping Couturier or Strome to us.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Please let it be dougie hamilton
No to Hamilton or any defenseman with the exception of Adam Larsson.
Draft best forward available. My rankings would be:
1.RNH, 2.Huberdeau, 3.Landeskog, 4.Couturier, 5.Strome, 6.Armia, 7.Bartschi
I think we should pass on Zibanejed. Nothing bad against him but his offensive ceiling isn't as good as the other forwards I have listed.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote