HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who does Winnipeg select with the 7th pick?

View Poll Results: Who would you like Winnipeg to select at pick #7
Sean Couturier 41 36.94%
Ryan Strome 36 32.43%
Mika Zibanejad 18 16.22%
Dougie Hamilton 15 13.51%
other...please list 1 0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Well said.

I think people need to be open minded to other possibilities. None of us know what type of style Winnipeg management will have towards the draft.

The draft is for the future. Most years, top prospects aren't coming right into the NHL. I think the last few years Atlanta management pushed their young prospects to the NHL early. With that NFL mentality that fans could understand. I hope TNSE handles their prospect pool with better understanding around developing their young players. Atlanta management handled their prospects and draft picks very poorly over the years. Now it's up to TNSE to rebuild that pool, starting at the draft and continuing into the future

Let's put Atlanta's past management issues behind us!
I guess it's a pointless argument what has happened in the past. TNSE have cleaned house and made their decision regardless of what Atlanta well in the past.
Any decision made from now can't be blamed on the prior administration.
I personally think Dudley did do a good job and didnt deserved to replaced in favored of AHL GM.
Likewise Craig Ramsay wasn't given much of a chance to coach this team.

If the new management want to draft another dman, which is a rare position of strength for this organization and ignore the team needs of scoring then it's their prerogative.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:32 AM
SaskaToba

If available I hope Couturier is the 1st franchise pick.... He's big, good in the corners and looks like he could complement Burmistrov in the future

But if he's gone I like Strome for a Forward or Murphy as a D (this guy could be a future offensive stud on the backend

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:52 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Couturier!!!!

A line of Kane-Couturier-Wheeler in a year from now BEAST

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow67 View Post
If available I hope Couturier is the 1st franchise pick.... He's big, good in the corners and looks like he could complement Burmistrov in the future

But if he's gone I like Strome for a Forward or Murphy as a D (this guy could be a future offensive stud on the backend
I like Murphy as well but 7 seems a bit high. He has great offensive skills.

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
If the new management want to draft another dman, which is a rare position of strength for this organization and ignore the team needs of scoring then it's their prerogative.
It's not about the desire to draft a Dman. We are about taking the best player available and that might just be a forward. Either way, I think that True North and fans recognize that lack of quality & quantity in the system. You can expect that talented forwards will be added in the later rounds and in future drafts.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post
You also need to learn something about the team. True North didn't just get rid of most ATL management, coaching and scouting staff just to install their guys. Some were fired because of bad or mediocre results. It's obvious that a NFL draft mentality isn't gonna work for those guys.

Hamilton projects as a first pairing Dman in the NHL. What about Postma and Kulda? Both are IMO 2nd pairing blueliners at best.

What if Enstrom isn't around when Hamilton is ready for NHL action? Do you trade for a similar Dman "Thrashers-style"?
So true north fired Atlanta's staff for bad performance even though those people they fired never worked for true north for one day. Do you know how dumb that sounds. Of course they fired everyone to put in their own guys, there is no other logical explanation.

Why are you stead fast in your views that 1. An NFL draft mentality is a bad thing - what ever that means, I'm guessing drafting for team needs; 2. That this is mentality that Atlanta always adopt. Are you basing your view on that one draft where they took Kari Lehtonen over j-Bo? If you read any draft article written about that draft they will tell that Lehtonen was always going to go top 2 and thn had him as the no 1 prospect in the NHL for the following 2 seasons. He was not a reach he was bpa that fill a major team need - what is so bad about that.

As for this draft. If you want to draft Hamilton because you are not sure if Enstrom is not going to re-sign in 2 years then fine. But who is going to score goals for you.
I followed this team since inception for 11 years and I think I can safely say I know more about the current roster than any Winnipegger that has followed the team for one month. I have witnessed 4 star forwards leave, Kovy being the last one. They don't grow on trees and we shouldnt be relying on Dustin Byfuglien to be the teams best offensive theat from the blue line while the team could get a great forward prospect like Couturier, Strome or Armia that can step in straight away and help the team make the playoffs. I would rather that than waiting 2 years for Hamilton.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Huffer

vCash: 958
Quote:
So true north fired Atlanta's staff for bad performance even though those people they fired never worked for true north for one day. Do you know how dumb that sounds. Of course they fired everyone to put in their own guys, there is no other logical explanation.

Why are you stead fast in your views that 1. An NFL draft mentality is a bad thing - what ever that means, I'm guessing drafting for team needs; 2. That this is mentality that Atlanta always adopt. Are you basing your view on that one draft where they took Kari Lehtonen over j-Bo? If you read any draft article written about that draft they will tell that Lehtonen was always going to go top 2 and thn had him as the no 1 prospect in the NHL for the following 2 seasons. He was not a reach he was bpa that fill a major team need - what is so bad about that.

As for this draft. If you want to draft Hamilton because you are not sure if Enstrom is not going to re-sign in 2 years then fine. But who is going to score goals for you.
I followed this team since inception for 11 years and I think I can safely say I know more about the current roster than any Winnipegger that has followed the team for one month. I have witnessed 4 star forwards leave, Kovy being the last one. They don't grow on trees and we shouldnt be relying on Dustin Byfuglien to be the teams best offensive theat from the blue line while the team could get a great forward prospect like Couturier, Strome or Armia that can step in straight away and help the team make the playoffs. I would rather that than waiting 2 years for Hamilton.
This is what people mean by NFL drafting strategy. In the NFL draft the guys are older and have played college ball for years. Players in the first 2 or 3 rounds usually make the team in the first year, and many players from later rounds as well. Heck, players in the first two rounds end up as starters most of the time.

Contrast that to the NHL draft. These guys getting drafted are kids for the most part. 18 years old with maybe 1 year of junior where they were "the guy". Apart from a few Crosbys, Ovechkins, and Stamkoses, these guys should NOT be on the NHL rosters in their first year. Yes it happens. Kane, Bogo, and Burmistrov are examples. But you shouldn't expect it to happen. Nor, IMO should you WANT it to happen. Can we say with certainty that bringing up Kane, Bogo, and Burmistrov early helped them?

Long term, continued success should be attained by having your draft picks develop in junior, and then preferabily a few years in the AHL so that they can play against men and learn to become pros.

There is a reason why teams like Detroit are successful. Theirs is the model I hope Winnipeg adopts.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I followed this team since inception for 11 years and I think I can safely say I know more about the current roster than any Winnipegger that has followed the team for one month.
Let's not make it about this.

Winnipeg didn't just come to the realization that the NHL exists now that we have a team. I'm sure there are plenty of intelligent fans here.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
This is what people mean by NFL drafting strategy. In the NFL draft the guys are older and have played college ball for years. Players in the first 2 or 3 rounds usually make the team in the first year, and many players from later rounds as well. Heck, players in the first two rounds end up as starters most of the time.

Contrast that to the NHL draft. These guys getting drafted are kids for the most part. 18 years old with maybe 1 year of junior where they were "the guy". Apart from a few Crosbys, Ovechkins, and Stamkoses, these guys should NOT be on the NHL rosters in their first year. Yes it happens. Kane, Bogo, and Burmistrov are examples. But you shouldn't expect it to happen. Nor, IMO should you WANT it to happen. Can we say with certainty that bringing up Kane, Bogo, and Burmistrov early helped them?

Long term, continued success should be attained by having your draft picks develop in junior, and then preferabily a few years in the AHL so that they can play against men and learn to become pros.

There is a reason why teams like Detroit are successful. Theirs is the model I hope Winnipeg adopts.
Well said!

Drafting is about the future, not only about today. Drafting for need is what is expected at the NFL level, not the NHL level. You fill those needs through FA and trades. You build your core through the draft. If you have too many prospects or players at a position of strength, then you trade from that to acquire those needs. Drafting BPA is the best philosophy for this team. It's been said that Winnipeg could experience difficulties attracting big time FA's, we need to plan for that possibility. That plan will be about developing strong relationships with our young roster players and prospects. They way you do that is draft them at a young age and provide them proper support and development. The reality is we need to draft our stars, not buy them. It will help in future negotiations and possibly save money towards the CAP (hometown discount). Letting those prospects struggle at the NHL level just for the sake of them being drafted in the upper 1st is not a solid base I want the team modeled after. We draft BPA early in the draft and use our late rounders to take a flier on a need. Detroit is a good model. Vancouver has followed that model and look how they've built a good team for now and the future. Us Winnipeg fans got to see their prospects develop and succeed in a strong AHL environment. That's the type of plan that is built for long term success, not short term gains.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
SCP Guy

Are any of these centers ready to step onto an NHL 3rd line next year? Or are they all playing on the rock next year?

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Are any of these centers ready to step onto an NHL 3rd line next year? Or are they all playing on the rock next year?
Couturier/Zibenjad are both NHL-ready in a 3rd line role, especially Couturier.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
They cannot play in the AHL, it's either NHL or back to junior, or, in Zibanejads case, overseas.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Couturier/Zibenjad are both NHL-ready in a 3rd line role, especially Couturier.
I think he's going to stay in the SEL next year to develop. He'll get more ice time there than in Winnipeg. Couturier is more NHL ready, he doesn't have as many options available (CHL or NHL) as Zibanejad (SEL, AHL, NHL) does.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
They cannot play in the AHL, it's either NHL or back to junior, or, in Zibanejads case, overseas.
Zibanejad can play in the AHL this season. He's not effected by the NHL/AHL agreement due to playing in Europe. Keeping him in the SEL is still a better place for him to develop than the AHL this year.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM
SCP Guy

Thanks for the info on the centers guys

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
I think he's going to stay in the SEL next year to develop. He'll get more ice time there than in Winnipeg. Couturier is more NHL ready, he doesn't have as many options available as Zibanejad does.
I agree with that -- I just think, if he wanted to, he could play in a 3rd line role. I do think he should go back to the SEL, though.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Zibanejads case, overseas.
He could play in the AHL since he's drafted out of Europe.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I agree with that -- I just think, if he wanted to, he could play in a 3rd line role. I do think he should go back to the SEL, though.
I agree, he's gritty enough and has a good sized frame. The SEL is definitely the best option for whoever drafts him.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post
He could play in the AHL since he's drafted out of Europe.
Wow, I was not aware of that. Thank you.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree, he's gritty enough and has a good sized frame. The SEL is definitely the best option for whoever drafts him.
I'm not so sure, to be honest. He's playing in a mens league, which is a huge bonus, but with that being said, I believe it would be better to let him play in a mens league that is a step away from the NHL and also in an environment in which the organization can work with him and monitor him very, very closely.

Perhaps the SEL would be better for him, I suppose i'm just thinking, if my prospect is going to play in a mens league, I'd like him in the AHL, where he can learn the North American style of game at a level just under the NHL. And, by all means he could still play in the WJC tournament, which would be great. He could also get a call-up or two when the organization feels the time is right, just to get his feet wet, give him an idea of the NHL game, the speed, the physicality, etc.. sometimes just letting a player experience that can really bring into form what he has to work on to play at that level. A cup of coffee (when the right is right and IF the time is right, of course --- do not rush him) can be a good thing.

I watched an interview where Ziganejad stated he does not play like a European, much more like a North American, so, if it were up to him, he may jump at the opportunity to play the North American style game in the 2nd best North American league.

That's just my line of thinking.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-23-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old
06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

For reference, Zibenjad, since he has been playing in a European league, could play in the AHL.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Wow, I was not aware of that. Thank you.
It applies to all non North American countries (Russia, Sweeden, Czech..etc). It only applies to leagues outside N.A, not to the players Nationality IE. Landeskog, Jurco,...etc

Last edited by Paradise: 06-23-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I'm not so sure, to be honest. He's playing in a mens league, which is a huge bonus, but with that being said, I believe it would be better to let him play in a mens league that is a step away from the NHL and also in an environment in which the organization can work with him and monitor him very, very closely.

Perhaps the SEL would be better for him, I suppose i'm just thinking, if my prospect is going to play in a mens league, I'd like him in the AHL, where he can learn the North American style of game at a level just under the NHL. And, by all means he could still play in the WJC tournament, which would be great. He could also get a call-up or two when the organization feels the time is right, just to get his feet wet, give him an idea of the NHL game, the speed, the physicality, etc.. sometimes just letting a player experience that can really bring into form what he has to work on to play at that level. A cup of coffee (when the right is right and IF the time is right, of course --- do not rush him) can be a good thing.

I watched an interview where Ziganejad stated he does not play like a European, much more like a North American, so, if it were up to him, he may jump at the opportunity to play the North American style game in the 2nd best North American league.

That's just my line of thinking.
He'll still play in the WJC this December. Some people would suggest that the SEL is as good or a better league than the AHL. I agree that playing in N.A could help him get use to playing in the NHL, but at the same time he already plays a N.A style game. It's in his DNA, so I think the transition would be more of a cultural one.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He'll still play in the WJC this December. Some people would suggest that the SEL is as good or a better league than the AHL. I agree that playing in N.A could help him get use to playing in the NHL, but at the same time he already plays a N.A style game. It's in his DNA, so I think the transition would be more of a cultural one.
Oh, I know that, regardless of where he plays. While I agree that some say the talent in the SEL is better, the "lay of the land" of the two leagues (SEL to AHL) in terms of it's comparisons to the NHL, is quite different. The AHL game and style of play is very similar to that of the NHL. If he already plays a NA style game, it may be better for his development to play in a league that possesses a NA style game, as a whole.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Chronos1337

I think Cotourier won't be there at 7, I don't think Ottawa will pass on him. So saying that I say Zibenijad is a better pick. Though we are in the east this year we are going to need his size and toughness in the West when we move over.

Chronos1337 is offline   Reply With Quote