HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
kcarrera Katie Carrera
J.P. Barry said the #Caps made a qualifying offer to Karl Alzner and that he expects to discuss a new deal more this week.
So they decided to qualify Alzner eh? Surprising considering his oh so disappointing season...

Old
06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
EroCaps

So, according to Darren Dreger, Regehr actually is in play which makes that rumor of the Regehr to Caps very interesting.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:16 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
So, according to Darren Dreger, Regehr actually is in play which makes that rumor of the Regehr to Caps very interesting.
For his 4M cap hit, someone very interesting would have to go back. Maybe they want to grow with Schultzy

In all seriousness it would probably mean letting Hannan go. Which I'm ok with. Hannan wasn't quite the leader I was hoping for. Regehr probably would have worn a C were it not for Iginla.

Speaking of Iginla... come on McPhee... am I allowed to dream of a Regehr + Iginla trade? At 11M combined, probably not

Old
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
For his 4M cap hit, someone very interesting would have to go back. Maybe they want to grow with Schultzy

In all seriousness it would probably mean letting Hannan go. Which I'm ok with. Hannan wasn't quite the leader I was hoping for. Regehr probably would have worn a C were it not for Iginla.

Speaking of Iginla... come on McPhee... am I allowed to dream of a Regehr + Iginla trade? At 11M combined, probably not
I think everyone knows the deal I'd want. I really like what Hannan brought. If there was a way to keep him and add Regehr, that'd be fantastic. They'd just need to let Poti/Schultz go to do it.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd prefer to re-sign Hannan than trade assets for Regehr. But IF Poti is toast and they can trade Sarge and dump TFS.... having a left side of Hannan, Regehr, and Alzner is a nice compliment of experience and playing style to Wideman, Green, and Carlson.

By my read Regehr has 2 yrs remaining at 4M?

Old
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
For the right price, hell yes. He is one of my favorite NHL players and been coveting him on the Caps for over a decade.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

That price would be astronomical.

For Regehr I'd guess: 1st, Schultz, and Fehr

Old
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
IafrateOvie34

Hannan, Regehr, Carlson, Green, Alzner, Wideman looks like a great defense to me, plus the veteran leadership. I'm not saying trade Semin for Regehr or extra, but lets say they do. That would free up money to get a Cole/Larose/Upshall winger and possibly resign Laich. All just talk material, but I will believe it when I see it regarding Regehr and the Capitals. As for assets, I don't mind trading some because we are in our window and need to tweak this team. Trade Schultz at the draft for a pick of some sort.

Go Caps!

Old
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

For a good hockey tip call the George McPhee trade hotline. $4.99/second to listen in on the undertakers and fishmans dealings. Who knew it wasnt a scam?

Damn so whats up with Regehr. Assume no one he drafted is headed out. Is George realizing or thinking that Sarge Green isnt top pair worthy? Their stock fell last year no matter how you cut it.

Regehr Wideman
Sarge Green
Alzner Carlson
Erskine

Old
06-23-2011, 01:43 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Hannan, Regehr, Carlson, Green, Alzner, Wideman looks like a great defense to me, plus the veteran leadership. I'm not saying trade Semin for Regehr or extra, but lets say they do. That would free up money to get a Cole/Larose/Upshall winger and possibly resign Laich. All just talk material, but I will believe it when I see it regarding Regehr and the Capitals. As for assets, I don't mind trading some because we are in our window and need to tweak this team. Trade Schultz at the draft for a pick of some sort.

Go Caps!
If the Caps moved Semin for Regehr they'd have over 15m in space for Laich and others. If they sign Laich and Hannan they'd still have around 7-8m to play with. Without Poti or Schultz it's back over 10.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Hannan, Regehr, Carlson, Green, Alzner, Wideman looks like a great defense to me, plus the veteran leadership.
Go Caps!
Well... we'd still have a vacuum at the top but sometimes solid NCO's can compensate for Foxhole Norman Dike.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:04 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
That price would be astronomical.

For Regehr I'd guess: 1st, Schultz, and Fehr
Indeed it would. Even if Iginla secretly wants out to try to win a Cup (remember how he got so close in '04?).

For Regehr, Flames fans are saying they need forwards/prospects... what about a package involving Fehr and/or Perrault?

Going absolutely hog-wild here...
Semin, Fehr, Perrault + prospects/picks go to CGY for Regehr and Iginla

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Erik Cole ($4.000m)
Jay Beagle ($0.512m) / Mattias Sjogren ($0.900m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.250m) / Chad Larose ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($3.000m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Jeff Schultz ($2.750m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,454,295; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,545,705

Just need to sign a couple depth forwards and d, and I've overpaid Gordon and LaRose. Hmm? Hmm?

Edit: Damn, way too slow Never mind.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Something I keep coming back to when I try and build rosters in my mind is my desire to have a true shutdown line and have a checking/energy line. Given the pieces already on this roster, neither of our top two lines is going to fill either of those roles (unless we really re-haul the 2nd line into a shutdown/scoring line, similar to #2 in Vancouver, by moving Semin up to #1 and building the line around Laich). Meaning, the bottom 6 need to become lines to fill those roles.

In previous years, the 4th line sort of held those responsibilities, but wasn't truly all the way towards either one. For instance, Boyd Gordon and Dave Steckel could fit in a shutdown line, but weren't really good for energy purposes. Hendricks and Bradley were good checking/energy guys, but not great shutdown guys.

I want the checking line to be relatively mobile, hard working, physical grinding players who can help shift momentum, are good on the fore check, and are hard to play against. An old-school, dump-and-chase type of line that's willing to hit you. Generate offense by forcing the opponent to make mistakes.

The shutdown line should be good at winning faceoffs, keeping the opponent out of high-scoring areas, and moving the puck up ice. Any offensive production would be a bonus.

Depending on who is brought it and how people are used, either line could fill the "#3" and "#4" roles. Or they could be varied ice-time based on opponent. Perhaps something like:
Chimera - Handzus/Johansson - Upshall
Sjogren - Fiddler - Gordon

Or with the "shutdown" line as #3:
Sturm - Handzus/Gordon/Johansson - Kopecky
Sjogren - Hendricks - Chimera

Desiring this creates an interesting scenario about what to do with Fehr and Johansson, especially if you don't believe they're ready for top 6 duty or don't have a top 6 spot for them. The presence of one of them is fine on either type of line, just not both. Johansson could be effective on a shutdown line, but his FO% is awfully low to play center on it. He could be moved to wing for the season (or until lines are shuffled/someone gets hurt), and could even be given a shot at top 6 wing if Arnott is brought back. Fehr is pretty much Brooks' spot or bust, in my mind.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:24 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I hate to rain on the parade, but having a shutdown line requires a coach to actually proactively pit it against another teams top line, otherwise its kind of random that your shutdown line ends up against the big guns. And rest assured, if the checking line is effective, the oppostion coach will be easily avoiding it.

Bruce prefers to go with shutdown D pairs. Only, its not necessarily his top defensive guys.

Otherwise Saint Life you have good ideas there. I think Boyd is best used on a shutdown or checking line. He brings good energy, but i want more banger for the buck at 4C. Hopefully Sjogren can be a C that can help us bring a little beef. You have him at wing, I think we want him at center.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
all signs continue to point to #Capitals not making an offer to Brooks Laich before July 1
-Will DePaoli
He's the one who interviewed Laich's Agent last week.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I hate to rain on the parade, but having a shutdown line requires a coach to actually proactively pit it against another teams top line, otherwise its kind of random that your shutdown line ends up against the big guns. And rest assured, if the checking line is effective, the oppostion coach will be easily avoiding it.

Bruce prefers to go with shutdown D pairs. Only, its not necessarily his top defensive guys.

Otherwise Saint Life you have good ideas there. I think Boyd is best used on a shutdown or checking line. He brings good energy, but i want more banger for the buck at 4C. Hopefully Sjogren can be a C that can help us bring a little beef. You have him at wing, I think we want him at center.
Bruce did a much better job at using a shutdown line this past year. Especially before Steckel got traded away. I'm curious about BB's faith in Gordon compared to Steckel. We saw a lot more of Hendricks-Steckel-Beagle being pitted against guys like Crosby and St. Louis than we did Hendricks-Gordon-Bradley.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Vabeachblue

I would like to see the caps involved in some sort of trade talk.....

Old
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gr8 Eight View Post
Like Mike Richards, perhaps?

Old
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Any chance Brassard is actually available? Cbus is looking great down the middle right now.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gr8 Eight View Post
Expect GMGM to sit idle.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
#Capitals have yet to establish any talks with Laich's agent Roland Thompson. Laich will be sought after on open market.
-Will DePaoli

Old
06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Any chance Brassard is actually available? Cbus is looking great down the middle right now.
Doubt it until Johansen shows what he can do on the NHL level (and even then probably not, center depth is important and Carter can be moved to wing). Columbus is trying to push for a playoff spot.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:01 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'd rather have Vermette.

GMillerTSN: Mike Richards to LA for a package including Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds? Hearing from good sources that it could happen.
Wow.

I'm all for making impact moves, but that'd be a bit much if I was a Flyer's fan.

If it's true the Caps have no plans to re-sign Laich they've got to be after (Brad) Richards. What other explanation?

Old
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Wow.

I'm all for making impact moves, but that'd be a bit much if I was a Flyer's fan.

If it's true the Caps have no plans to re-sign Laich they've got to be after (Brad) Richards. What other explanation?
Well considering GMGM likes to stay the course. Maybe he wants to incorporate more young players.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:04 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
That he wants too much money, and they don't want to mortgage their future. You don't have to have a specific player in mind to decide to not overpay.

Closed Thread