HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 10:20 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Hemsky is why I laughed hard at the post that said "semin to Edmonton".
My favorite laughs are on the trade forums. People on that board over value the prospects and think extras should always be in trades. Instead of having a trade of Semin for Hemsky straight up, they want clearly untouchable franchise players like Carlson, Alzner, Holtby added. I only read those forums this time of year (Draft/UFA) and the trade deadline. I can't imagine reading the trade rumor forum every day. That is some absurd stuff I see on it. Thankfully, I have the Washington Caps forum bookmarked.

Go Caps!

Old
06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Come on gmgm and trade laich. One up holmgren

Edit:

Last edited by HSHS: 06-29-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Drinking on company dime
Old
06-29-2011, 11:20 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No rumors that I'm aware of.

I can't imagine his stock has been any lower than it is right now. Wouldn't be prudent to sell low, IMO.

two different places using agents as sources suggest that Green is in play

Old
06-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
two different places using agents as sources suggest that Green is in play
If he was, GMGM would be wise to set the bar high.

Stud top 4 Dman, established 2nd line center, and more.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, I smell negotiating ploy. ****ing ******* agents.

Doesn't me he won't sign in Russia.
from what i read on puckdaddy he considers working out in Hershey part of his pre-season ritual / getting ready for a hockey season.

idk - in the same article his agent said straight out that the doctors in Russia are better and that Varly was hurt, cleared to play by the DC doctors, and subsequently hurt again.

take with as much salt as you can palate.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Imagine Kuznetsov will not come.

Anything changing?

Would you still trade Semin for futures?

Do you think it's impossible that Kuz will stay at KHL? There will be a big play for keeping him next year, I can guarantee that. Big money, big pressure. He will be a national team player till next summer. WC, maybe a medal. They'll say he needs to prepare for Sochi and so on.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:05 AM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
from what i read on puckdaddy he considers working out in Hershey part of his pre-season ritual / getting ready for a hockey season.
It's only a ritual if you do it every year. To my recollection, Varlamov didn't come over from Russia until August in previous years.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:46 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Imagine Kuznetsov will not come.

Anything changing?

Would you still trade Semin for futures?

Do you think it's impossible that Kuz will stay at KHL? There will be a big play for keeping him next year, I can guarantee that. Big money, big pressure. He will be a national team player till next summer. WC, maybe a medal. They'll say he needs to prepare for Sochi and so on.
Yes.

The Caps have learned that they aren't going to win by simply outscoring their opponents and Semin's blatant disregard for basic system/team play and fundamentals is the antithesis of their newfound "No ****, common sense" approach to winning.

I'd much rather spend that 7m on two 3.5m players and field a team.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'd much rather spend that 7m on two 3.5m players and field a team.
Even if McPhee could get two players for 7M I bet it would bet Eric Cole and Tyler Kennedy at best.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Brouwer who is getting 3,5M two years later.

And then what? OV-MJ-Brouwer - the ultimate checking line?

PS: I thought Semin played OK in playoffs. Maybe Laich called out Backis after all?

Old
06-30-2011, 07:56 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ok, am I crazy for thinking Miika Kiprusoff sucks and would be a downgrade for the Caps?

Save percentage the last 4 years: .906, .920, .903, .906.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Even if McPhee could get two players for 7M I bet it would bet Eric Cole and Tyler Kennedy at best.

PS: I thought Semin played OK in playoffs. Maybe Laich called out Backis after all?
I was able to work from home Monday and caught the Troy Brouwer interview with EJ on NHL Live. Good interview btw, but the discussion after is what was of true interest. EJ said that the word around the organization was that Backstrom was out of shape, significantly.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I think Kipper is better than his numbers, but not so much better that he's still a top 5 goalie or whatever. I think he'd look much better with a reasonable workload and a team that isn't awful. I wouldn't want his cap hit though.

EDIT: And, more directly, I think he'd put up better numbers than Neuvirth given a similar workload, I think he'd put up worse numbers than Varlamov but he'd be able to play probably twice as many games at that level. No idea how Holtby would do. I wouldn't be angry if the Caps ended up getting him, but I'm not asking for him at all.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
bonzilla

..and the Finn factor

Old
06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Plus he smokes like a chimney, IINM. I don't understand how a goalie, of all people, can get by doing that (one with such a heavy workload no less). That'd make me wary as he gets older, but I don't know if I'd consider it an issue right now.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:15 AM
bonzilla

But..Ted's marketing minions could go gaga working in the Buffett "fin" theme to pull in more of the > 50 wasp $s..key Jaws theme music..

Ted' version of a "hockey" trade

Old
06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
I was able to work from home Monday and caught the Troy Brouwer interview with EJ on NHL Live. Good interview btw, but the discussion after is what was of true interest. EJ said that the word around the organization was that Backstrom was out of shape, significantly.
That is unfortunate to hear this. Backstrom can't keep being out of shape when training camp arrives. I like the player and his skills, but if he can't discipline himself, he needs to be traded. I would hate to see this happen, but what good is he out of shape, unmotivated, and making that kind of money . This guy could really be a superstar in the NHL.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:24 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Backstrom...At the end of last season? Currently? Both?

Old
06-30-2011, 08:27 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think Kipper is better than his numbers, but not so much better that he's still a top 5 goalie or whatever. I think he'd look much better with a reasonable workload and a team that isn't awful. I wouldn't want his cap hit though.

EDIT: And, more directly, I think he'd put up better numbers than Neuvirth given a similar workload, I think he'd put up worse numbers than Varlamov but he'd be able to play probably twice as many games at that level. No idea how Holtby would do. I wouldn't be angry if the Caps ended up getting him, but I'm not asking for him at all.
Kipper's best days are behind him. Calgary fans are just hoping to get rid of his cap hit and get good young players in return. I see a lot of NW games and he is ok, but nothing like he used to be. As for the Finn factor, I don't understand. I know we haven't had any Finns on this team since Tikkanen, but I don't think it is a personal thing. Finnish players are typically hard working and gritty players. Btw, I don't count Elomo on this team since he played in hardly any games. I would not want Jokkinen around this team at all, but lots of great Finnish players in the league. Personally, some of my favorite all time players have been Finns (Kurri, Tikkanen, Selanne, Sinisalo, Lehtinen, and Numminen). The Jets used to have a guy in Skriko who wasn't bad for them.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:29 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50

Old
06-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Robert Theodorson

One thing you have to know about Calgary fans is that they perpetually live in 2004

Iginla, Kipper, and Regehr (not anymore) are all as good and as 'young' as they were back then and they refuse to accept the fact that the Flames have one of the dimmest futures in hockey.

They overvalue everyone they have too, Kipper is not a good fit in Washington.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
My 2c on ej. If you read brooks' changes quote as an outsider not jaded by phrase, it's easy to jump to "major trade" rumors. Especially when it's backed up by Dash's buddy!
And the owner.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
"He wants to have an opportunity to be with a team that has good younger players coming in to fill, in a market where hockey matters game in and game out."
Do people feel around the league that the DC market is thought of as one 'where hockey matters game in and game out?'

I don't. Yes there are enough fans to fill the building during these 'good' times but as a whole I don't think the market cares much about the Caps.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
Backstrom...At the end of last season? Currently? Both?
If I recall the context was specific to playoff time, considering he had a down year I suppose it could be applied to the regular season as well.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:

I'm 99% sure this is the case.

Also, we lose Semin, we become true 1 line team. Without his Oct-Nov production i doubt we would have home ice advantage, not that it mattered after all.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Do people feel around the league that the DC market is thought of as one 'where hockey matters game in and game out?'

I don't. Yes there are enough fans to fill the building during these 'good' times but as a whole I don't think the market cares much about the Caps.
I think they care about the Caps, but not hockey (kind of the opposite of the Wiz and basketball). I don't know how that plays for potential UFAs though.

Closed Thread