HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do so many people hate Filppula?

Old
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Zaronji

vCash: 500
Why do so many people hate Filppula?

I usually don't post because I have a very Detroit-centric view of things (I watched all the Detroit playoff games but didn't watch any others except game 7 of the finals) and really can't adequately compare Detroit players to other teams' players, but I really can't understand why so many people seem to want to trade Filppula.

To me, he can properly play wing on any line and center on the second line or below along with being able to be used on the PP, PK, and at even strength. Basically, I feel he can be used in any situation except first-line center (which isn't needed of him at all with Datsyuk and Zetterberg)

I understand he has never surpassed 40 points, but he's good defensively, and who could he be replaced with in a salary-cap world? Detroit can't just throw a lot of money at someone like Richards and have him replace Filppula. If Detroit gets rid of Filppula, they'd have to get a new second-line-capable center or be left in a situation where Datsyuk and Zetterberg can't play on the same line....and also be in a situation where they are without a second-line center if Datsyuk or Zetterberg get injured.

Are there centers out there who are 1) reasonably attainable 2) as responsible defensively as Filppula 3) able to put up more points than Filppula and 4) not significantly more expensive than Filppula's $3 million? Sure, Detroit has a lot of cap space this year, but if they aren't careful with it, they can get themselves into a lot of trouble.

Zaronji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
ComradeChris

Brooks Laich

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Because he is a foreigner and this is AMERICA, damnit!

U-S-A!! U-S-A!!

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
petesrw

I'm a huge supporter of Filppula. I would hate to see him go. I would like to see him play on D or Zs wing more and let Helm have the 3rd line.

If we could get a legit top 2 or 3, non old Dman in exchange for Fil then I wouldn't be too disappointed, but it would probably take quite a bit more than Fil to acquire that.

As for the suggestion that we could get another player more valuable/cost effective, I have a hard time seeing a better all around player than Fil coming in at around the same price.

He earns his money and is good in too many areas to want to let go unless it's for a perfect deal.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Shoalzie

He's a solid playoff performer...wish he could do that all season.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Mandatory

Personally I would love to trade him, hudler, kindl and picks for a upgraded player, but they don't seem to have much value these days

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
tikkanen5rings*

to answer the title I say: They thought he was gonna be a GREAT player but instead he turned out just okay... Now people wan't someone GREAT to replace him

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:57 PM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

Because he was projected as a 60 point guy and now that he hasn't lived up to his max projection, he's a bum in a lot of people's eyes. There's also a myth that a second line center should produce 60-70 points every year even though most teams don't have 4 forwards who produce that much where they can consistently have a guy like that playing on their second line.

pokerandpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Xvash2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerandpucks View Post
Because he was projected as a 60 point guy and now that he hasn't lived up to his max projection, he's a bum in a lot of people's eyes. There's also a myth that a second line center should produce 60-70 points every year even though most teams don't have 4 forwards who produce that much where they can consistently have a guy like that playing on their second line.
This.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
rx7dryver

Because fans will not be happy until Holland replaces him with someone that scores 60+ points, is excellent defensively, has a 1.25MIL maximum cap hit, and is related to either Ted Lindsay, Gordon Howe, Steve Yzerman, or Martin Lapointe.

rx7dryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:30 PM
probertrules24

I think with some of the proposals you see could be the opposite. Some Wings fans understand and value what Filppula brings to this team and feel that he would bring just as much value if not more to another team. Most fan bases of other teams only see his point totals and believe the Wings fans are trying to dump him because he's not living up to his potential.

Or these fans just don't understand what a 2nd line center should be.

I don't think you will see fair value on these boards. Unless your a GM/scout of a real team he won't look as appealing.

probertrules24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
I think with some of the proposals you see could be the opposite. Some Wings fans understand and value what Filppula brings to this team and feel that he would bring just as much value if not more to another team. Most fan bases of other teams only see his point totals and believe the Wings fans are trying to dump him because he's not living up to his potential.

Or these fans just don't understand what a 2nd line center should be.

I don't think you will see fair value on these boards. Unless your a GM/scout of a real team he won't look as appealing.
Yup. 40 points without a ton of PP time (he was 7th among forwards) while playing solid defense and fitting the system is good. Could they get better? Yes, but not as easily as some people seem to think it is. They see Bobby McShootsalot had 60 playing for another team mostly on the second line, he could do that here without taking into account his commitment to defense and his ability to play a puck possession style.

pokerandpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:42 PM
JRB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
Because fans will not be happy until Holland replaces him with someone that scores 60+ points, is excellent defensively, has a 1.25MIL maximum cap hit, and is related to either Ted Lindsay, Gordon Howe, Steve Yzerman, or Martin Lapointe.
Why do you say Lapointe? just curious.

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Defensive forwards who are smart with the puck are worthless.

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
detredWINgs

Nobody "hates" Filppula. People are just disappointed and disenchanted with him.

He'd also be better liked if we didn't already have a ton of soft, skilled, defensively responsible players. If he actually threw a hit, agitated, could score on empty nets, was productive on the PP, or anything else that set him apart from the pack, people would be very happy.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:11 PM
HockeyinHD

'Hate' is a strong word. I think it's safe to say, however, that Fil's not one of the guys on the 'protected list' of fans here.

He hasn't gone all the way to the 'free fire' list like Lilja, Lang, or Osgood did at various times, but one bad season will put him squarely there.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:17 PM
sepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Nobody "hates" Filppula. People are just disappointed and disenchanted with him.

He'd also be better liked if we didn't already have a ton of soft, skilled, defensively responsible players. If he actually threw a hit, agitated, could score on empty nets, was productive on the PP, or anything else that set him apart from the pack, people would be very happy.
This is how I feel. By no means do I hate Flip, not even a little. I just feel that with Datsyuk and Z on the team (who should each be centering their own lines), and to a lesser extent Helm, Flip becomes redundant.

No way would I "get rid of him" just to get him off the team, but, if he could get you a David Backes-type of player (I said "type of" don't go crazy saying I think we could get Backes for Flip), I would do that in a heart-beat.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Alpha190

Fil's probably one of the best forecheckers in the league. Too bad nobody acknowledges this.

Example: Franzen's goal vs Nashville in OT in the 2008 playoffs. It was all Fil's hard work that led up to it.

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
joe89

With the salary cap up once more, his $3M is good value. Sometimes he just fades away offensively though, but then again that's why he's payed as a 2nd liner.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
With the salary cap up once more, his $3M is good value. Sometimes he just fades away offensively though, but then again that's why he's payed as a 2nd liner.
I don't think anyone has a problem with Filp's salary. He's great value for what he brings. I don't really want to see him traded (I like Filp a lot, good fit for Detroit) but he's one of the only expendable pieces we have that are valuable and attractive to other teams. If we can move him in a package deal for a CLEAR upgrade, sure. Otherwise I don't want him traded.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Wingdings

I think Filppula's great... no hate here.

Wingdings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:49 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I don't want to trade Filppula, but the NHL is a business. You have to put the best team you can afford on the ice. Detroit has a certain system and I'm sure Flip fits in well, but he is underachieving, not only in points but with his time on the ice. He has the talent, he has the potential, I really think it's just mental. He needs to be aggressive and take his chances. As a winger he compliments whoever his center is, weather it's Datsyuk or Zetterberg. But as a center himself, he needs to attack the net. Babcock said it himself, he wants to see more from Filppula. He's a great guy, no doubt, but in the NHL, you need to play at your potential or you are expendable.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
99HockeyFan

Probably hate is too harsh of a word here...
Perhaps a few here are disappointed in Filppula..
As Wings fans we've been lucky some great players on great teams (this coming from a Gretzky fan.. lol )...

Filppula shows us glimpses of how great he could be, and sometimes seeing him out there with Dats, sort of gives us hope he could be half a good as Dats... sadly it's not easy to do that, especially when we've grown accustomed to winning and thus expectations are a bit higher on Fil...

If Filppula somehow shows a bit more consistency in the scoring department (or if the Wings can somehow win the cup all the time) I doubt anyone would be complaining..

I think Filppula does a lot for this team that doesn't always show in the scoresheet and he knows and accepts his role here, which to me accounts for more than how others value him...

Go Wings!!!

99HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
GeoSacks

I'm a huge fan of Filppula. He's frustrating because you see a guy with his size, speed and hands and he could be so much more. A few times each year and more often in the playoffs we watch him drive to the net, beat defensemen to the outside and dangle all over the place and then we wonder what the hell he's doing the rest of the time.

That doesn't discount the fact that he's great defensively, very fast, and very good at gaining the offensive zone.

GeoSacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
FabricDetails

The old scouting report.

Remember the good 'ol days when he was a very exciting prospect?

Quote:
#15 Valtteri Filppula
Pos: Center
D.O.B.: 03/20/84
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 202
Shoots: Left
Drafted: 3rd Rnd, 2002 draft by Detroit Red Wings
Acquired: Signed 3 yr contract with Detroit 8/19/05
Graduated to NHL: 11/04/06 With Detroit (NHL)

Plus: Great Skater, Very Agile and Slippery... ... Excellent On-Ice Vision... Plays in Traffic... Capable of Taking Over a Game...
Minus: Inconsistency...
Organizational Comments: "I think he does a lot of the little things, he competes very well away from the puck. He's very responsible defensively. He's a tenacious forechecker." Griffins Head Coach Greg Ireland

What GRC says: 2005-06: Filppula looked like he hit the wall around game 50, but he recovered his game just in time to be a big force in the playoffs. He may have played his way onto the parent Wings' roster, but if not he will put up some big numbers in GR next season.
Role: Playmaking Center
Projection: 1st or 2nd Line NHL Playmaker

http://www.griffinscentral.com/players/vfilppula.html
Now, when Wings fans say that Filppula can be 65-75 point player, I think they're right. In fact, he might even be able to produce a little more than that. However, I feel like he can only achieve that if a team needs him to be their Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Filppula will continue with the mindset of "The important thing is to play good defense and be happy with whatever offense I can get" if he knows that the Wings don't urgently need him to produce 65-75 points.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote