HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do so many people hate Filppula?

Old
06-22-2011, 10:16 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

vCash: 500
Don't know if I can be trusted because I'm somewhat intoxicated, but here's my take (and I didn't bother to read the thread):

I don't hate Flip -- in fact, I think he's a great asset to the team (along with Hudler... SHUT UP!). However, I don't think he's being utilized properly. If you want him at centre, he needs to be on the third line. If you want him at wing being a backup for a more established, higher-tier centre, then you're okay with him at $3m per year.

Vatteri Filppula is NOT a second-line centre -- at least on the Red Wings. When you have Datsyuk and Zetterberg as your top-two centers, you might as well put Flip on the wing and have someone who knows how to take face-offs in case the true centre gets kicked out.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:30 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Filppula is a strong, dependable defensive center.

People have just gotten frustrated because they have expected a close to 50 point season from the guy for a few years now and he hasn't gotten there yet. That is what makes it seem like the guy is hated around here.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Dangler1340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha190 View Post
Fil's probably one of the best forecheckers in the league. Too bad nobody acknowledges this.

Example: Franzen's goal vs Nashville in OT in the 2008 playoffs. It was all Fil's hard work that led up to it.
What!? One of the best forecheckers in the league? Really?.... Pretty sure he isn't even one of the best on his own team. He is brutal at winning battles in the corner and he never lays the body. Just because you show one clip doesn't prove your point at all. If he is one of the best forecheckers in the league then Helm is the best of all time (neither of which are true)

Dangler1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
He's a solid playoff performer...wish he could do that all season.
Always better at the playoffs...

Season - regular season average - playoff average
2006-07 - 0.274 points per game - 0.278 ppg
2007-08 - 0.461 points per game - 0.500 ppg
2008-09 - 0.500 points per game - 0.696 ppg
2009-10 - 0.636 points per game - 0.750 ppg
2010-11 - 0.549 points per game - 0.727 ppg

As we see, his production has gone better ever season before the last season. But that groin was a real problem for him at last season. At playoffs, he was back again as himself, almost as pruductive than year before.

At last three playoffs, Filppula has produced 0.717 points per game.

That pace would be 58 points in 80 games. If he could output that at regular season, nobody would complain...

I've also been pissed about his regular season play, but always, and I mean ALWAYS, he plays better when it matters the most and then he'll get everything forgiven. The playoff performing is all that really matters IMHO.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
FabricDetails

I wouldn't say that playoff performance is all that really matter but it does mean more than the regular season.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:29 AM
icKx
What now?

Put him on Datsyuk's wing for a season and you'd get those 60 points.

Thing is, this team doesn't have a problem scoring and thus his role as a defensively-responsible center is kinda what the Wings need even if it isn't what fans really want to see from him.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I wouldn't say people hate Filppula. Its more so that we are just disappointed he hasn't become the 60 point player we expected.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
wingnutjeff

I like the guy, would be upset if we lost him.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Eh, people hated on Dats and Z back when Yzerman and Shanahan and Schneider were still on the team. I can remember people questioning Datsyuk's toughness in the series against Edmonton when they went all the way to the SCF. I really do believe if Fil plays the entire year on Datsyuk's wing he will threaten to score 30 goals. Let Z center the second line.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Eh, people hated on Dats and Z back when Yzerman and Shanahan and Schneider were still on the team. I can remember people questioning Datsyuk's toughness in the series against Edmonton when they went all the way to the SCF. I really do believe if Fil plays the entire year on Datsyuk's wing he will threaten to score 30 goals. Let Z center the second line.
I don't think Filppula shoots the puck enough to get 30 goals, he's never even put up 20. I also don't know if we're going to have enough centers next year to put Filppula at wing. If Emmerton does not make the team, or makes it as a 13/14 forward, and Draper is gone, we only have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Helm as centers, so Filppula would have to play center.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Fil-Pavs-Mule
Cleary-Z-Bert
Abby-Helm-Eaves/Miller/UFA
Hudler-Emmerton-Mursak
Homer

Of course there will be injuries but I'd like to see something along these lines when you have a full compliment of players. I also wouldn't mind Tatar getting a crack at playing in the NHL but I doubt that happens beyond a cup of coffee as an injury replacement.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:35 PM
DRWCountryClub

Interesting to bring up...

Setoguchi is now going to be making 3mil a year.

Who would you rather have? Who is a better overall player? Who's worth 3mil?

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Interesting to bring up...

Setoguchi is now going to be making 3mil a year.

Who would you rather have? Who is a better overall player? Who's worth 3mil?
Even after watching Seto stick a knife in us (repeatedly), I think I'd prefer Flip for the simple fact that he's a center. If i thought Seto would become a consistent 30 goal scorer, I'd lean towards him, but I don't think the two will be far apart in points.