HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How I overcame my prejudice against buffalo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
  #1
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,966
vCash: 500
How I overcame my prejudice against buffalo

http://adrianbrijbassi.com/2011/06/2...ainst-buffalo/

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:05 PM
  #2
FoSotC
Registered User
 
FoSotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
If only we could improve our nightlife, do something interesting with our waterfront, and lower our unacceptable crime rate and increasing gang activity, we'd stop people from bad-mouthing the city and turn around our steady population loss. The weather we can't do anything about, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Speaking of which, what's with Canadians apparently laughing at us for getting snowed on and/or having cold weather? Because that totally never happens in most of Canada or the rest of the Northern states. Are Toronto winters really that much different than ours, anyway?

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:18 PM
  #3
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedus View Post
Are Toronto winters really that much different than ours, anyway?
I don't think they get lake effect quite as bad being on the NW side of lake Ontario.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
  #4
missingmika
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedus View Post
If only we could improve our nightlife, do something interesting with our waterfront, and lower our unacceptable crime rate and increasing gang activity, we'd stop people from bad-mouthing the city and turn around our steady population loss. The weather we can't do anything about, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Speaking of which, what's with Canadians apparently laughing at us for getting snowed on and/or having cold weather? Because that totally never happens in most of Canada or the rest of the Northern states. Are Toronto winters really that much different than ours, anyway?
Can't stop the weather? Think the Golf Dome but bigger! Like Mr. Burns bigger.

All in all decent article. Buffalo isn't bad. It's not great.

missingmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:20 AM
  #5
Megaera
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
I don't think they get lake effect quite as bad being on the NW side of lake Ontario.
Yeah, if I'm remembering right, the average annual snowfall in Toronto is somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 that of Buffalo.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:28 AM
  #6
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,559
vCash: 500
I don't know, I love Buffalo and liked growing up there but there are very VERY few things that are unique to Buffalo, that you couldn't find in almost any other midsize-to-major city or right close by to them. And don't say "wings!" or something like that because... that's really sad when you think about it

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:48 AM
  #7
Megaera
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I don't know, I love Buffalo and liked growing up there but there are very VERY few things that are unique to Buffalo, that you couldn't find in almost any other midsize-to-major city or right close by to them. And don't say "wings!" or something like that because... that's really sad when you think about it
I disagree with that. Certainly most cities the size of Buffalo don't have an art gallery of equal quality to the Albright-Knox, for example. And precious few US cities have the wealth of historically significant American architecture that Buffalo has. Certainly none of comparable size do. That's not just something Buffalonians say to make themselves feel better but is widely acknowledged. And it's no small thing.

The fact that Buffalo was once one of the richest and largest cities in the country has resulted in a far richer history than many other cities of its current size.

And if only Buffalo would take better advantage of it, the area is quite beautiful...moreso than the locales in which many other cities are situated.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:46 AM
  #8
gaf
Occupied Territory
 
gaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... on the warpath
Posts: 3,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
I disagree with that. Certainly most cities the size of Buffalo don't have an art gallery of equal quality to the Albright-Knox, for example. And precious few US cities have the wealth of historically significant American architecture that Buffalo has. Certainly none of comparable size do. That's not just something Buffalonians say to make themselves feel better but is widely acknowledged. And it's no small thing.

The fact that Buffalo was once one of the richest and largest cities in the country has resulted in a far richer history than many other cities of its current size.

And if only Buffalo would take better advantage of it, the area is quite beautiful...moreso than the locales in which many other cities are situated.
I just saw this thread and was going to post something similar. Living most of my life in CT, and spending plenty of time in NYC and Boston- I think I have a good perspective on life in Buffalo. Seriously- how many places in the country could you actually have a family and live on a modest income- that provided the level of quality of life Buffalo does.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.