HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Disclose The Finacial Terms Damn You All!!!

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Disclose The Finacial Terms Damn You All!!!

God it annoys me to no end to hear "The Finacial Terms were not Disclosed" I wanna know damnit, I have a right to know by doing absolutly nothing but damnit I'm curious and the man with the big yellow hat is into Beastiality so throw Ol George a bone here

Old
07-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman
God it annoys me to no end to hear "The Finacial Terms were not Disclosed" I wanna know damnit, I have a right to know by doing absolutly nothing but damnit I'm curious and the man with the big yellow hat is into Beastiality so throw Ol George a bone here
You can at least get the salary for the first year of any new contract by checking the NHLPA's site, they update pretty quickly upon any new signing.

Old
07-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
It seems so futile since the terms are released within a few days... so why not just tell us up front?

Old
07-26-2004, 12:39 AM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_paxon
It seems so futile since the terms are released within a few days... so why not just tell us up front?
I think a lot of it is company policy. It may look futile from the fans' standpoint looking at the players' salaries but a lot of companies stick to that policy and apply it to GMs, coaches, marketing people, medical people, facilities people, player personnel, scouts, etc... and disclosing salaries always create animosity in the workplace.

Old
07-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
I think a lot of it is company policy. It may look futile from the fans' standpoint looking at the players' salaries but a lot of companies stick to that policy and apply it to GMs, coaches, marketing people, medical people, facilities people, player personnel, scouts, etc... and disclosing salaries always create animosity in the workplace.
Yes, and it is certainly understandable, just frustrating and very silly from the outside looking in. Most company policies are quite silly, though.

Old
07-26-2004, 12:51 AM
sunb

Quote:
Yes, and it is certainly understandable, just frustrating and very silly from the outside looking in. Most company policies are quite silly, though.
Yeah but policy is policy tho. For example my mom's former company used to negotiate individual contracts with each of their workers and try to sign them to as low as an offer as possible. After they sign their contracts they are not supposed to disclose the terms to anybody. But during a conversation, my mom divulged her contract status with a friend/co-worker with the same status and the co-worker was displeased because she was paid significantly less than my mom despite signing the contract at the same time. So the co-worker complained and made a big fuss over the situation and the company was pretty irritated. In the end my mom was fired but it just goes to show you that policies are supposed to be respected .

Old
07-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Yeah but policy is policy tho. For example my mom's former company used to negotiate individual contracts with each of their workers and try to sign them to as low as an offer as possible. After they sign their contracts they are not supposed to disclose the terms to anybody. But during a conversation, my mom divulged her contract status with a friend/co-worker with the same status and the co-worker was displeased because she was paid significantly less than my mom despite signing the contract at the same time. So the co-worker complained and made a big fuss over the situation and the company was pretty irritated. In the end my mom was fired but it just goes to show you that policies are supposed to be respected .
Sure, policies are policies but some are good, some are bad, and some simply don't serve a legitimate purpose; when a policy doesn't serve a legitimate purpose it can certainly be seen as bad. Now, the situation you describe makes a lot of sense. Frankly, if I were the boss I'd tell the lady to suck it up, but I'm not suggesting other bosses do that. When it comes to NHL salaries, though, it just seems like it doesn't serve a purpose. Players all know what the other guys make. If they don't, they could if they were so inclined.

Hell, the salary for the current year is openly available on the NHLPA web site.

The hockey world (strictly the players) does not seem to match the coporate world in this regard. I can't imagine Joe Sakic getting mad at Forsberg because he makes more or vice versa. If he did, he'd be a total *********.

I can understand them not wanting to go up to the podium and say "we're giving Joe Schmoe $5 million dollars this year", but they don't have to do that to make the information available.

That's just how I slice this cake.

Old
07-26-2004, 01:02 AM
sunb

Quote:
Sure, policies are policies but some are good, some are bad, and some simply don't serve a legitimate purpose; when a policy doesn't serve a legitimate purpose it can certainly be seen as bad. Now, the situation you describe makes a lot of sense. Frankly, if I were the boss I'd tell the lady to suck it up, but I'm not suggesting other bosses do that. When it comes to NHL salaries, though, it just seems like it doesn't serve a purpose. Players all know what the other guys make. If they don't, they could if they were so inclined.

Hell, the salary for the current year is openly available on the NHLPA web site.

The hockey world (strictly the players) does not seem to match the coporate world in this regard. I can't imagine Joe Sakic getting mad at Forsberg because he makes more or vice versa. If he did, he'd be a total *********.

I can understand them not wanting to go up to the podium and say "we're giving Joe Schmoe $5 million dollars this year", but they don't have to do that to make the information available.

That's just how I slice this cake.
Yeah but most NHL organizations has many other personnel other than just the 25 or so NHL player they have. I think those policies are upheld so that they can be applied to the other personnel.

Old
07-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Yeah but most NHL organizations has many other personnel other than just the 25 or so NHL player they have. I think those policies are upheld so that they can be applied to the other personnel.
Perhaps, but there certainly is nothing forcing them from having one policy for players and one for non-players. They can claim consistency but they're two far different sectors of the business so it doesn't hold much water. Oh well.

Old
07-26-2004, 02:43 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Sports would be a better place if player's salaries were never disclosed. One can bet that a vast majority of professional athletes would love nothing better than if you and I had our noses out of their business affairs. All it does is breed envy and contempt among jealous fans, and skews expectations of "overpaid" performers.

Management would benefit from not giving ammunition to the media (and fans), who play the salary gossip game incessantly and pairing this player v. that player in public, based on $$$, rather than production on the ice alone.

But, alas, this, of course, is a pipedream. And agents and the colluding NHLPA brass loves the idea that salaries are public for all to debate and compare in broad daylight, thereby escalating PR pressure on management in player contract negotiation$.

Frankly, mostly gossip and sideshow to this fan. These businesses (franchises) are private, thus they have no responsibility whatsoever to disclose numbers to anyone.

Old
07-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Grizzly

I agree with you Trotts,I think it would make it better if we didn't know the salaries of the players.Besides,what business is it of anyone to know what someone else makes ?

Old
07-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

http://www.nhlpa.com/

BOOKMARK THIS PAGE

Old
07-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Chili

I'm surprised we find out as much as we do. It wasn't always that way, especially the players salaries before they formed a union. If you get a chance to see the movie 'Net worth', I recommend it. It tells about Ted Lindsey's battles with management and the attempt to get a union formed.

Old
07-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
no NHLPA.com = evil.

Last edited by GKJ: 07-26-2004 at 01:43 PM. Reason: QDP ;)
Closed Thread