HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

NHL hints at HUGE realignment in 2012-2013 [With Link]

Old
07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
As I said in another post, there are 9 teams strung out NEAR (but not necessarily on) the US east coast...
  1. Boston
  2. New Jersey
  3. NY Islanders
  4. NY Rangers
  5. Philadelphia
  6. Washington
  7. Carolina
  8. Tampa
  9. Miami
Pittsburgh wants in to whatever division Philadelphia is in, and Philadelphia wants them, so you're looking at a natural cluster of 10 teams. Since 4 divisions implies 7 or 8 team divisions, something has got to give, somewhere. This is why people are looking at moving 2 of Boston/Pittsburgh/NewJersey into the NE division (which I prefer to call the Great Lakes division), in order to get down to 8 teams.

Here's something I've though abought, but haven't seriously posted yet. With the departure of Atlanta, the 2 Florida teams are out in the middle of nowhere as far as other teams are concerned. Howsabout moving them to the Midwest (aka Central division)? They'd be only one hour out from Central time, and get Dallas as a rival. Actually, the western part of the Florida Panhandle is Central Time already, so it's not that radical. Here's how things would work out.
  • WEST
    • Anaheim
    • Calgary
    • Colorado
    • Edmonton
    • Los Angeles
    • Phoenix (maybe)
    • San Jose
    • Vancouver
  • CENTRAL
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Miami
    • Minnesota
    • St Louis
    • Tampa
    • Winnnipeg
  • GREAT LAKES
    • Buffalo
    • Columbus
    • Detroit
    • Montreal
    • Nashville
    • Ottawa
    • Toronto
  • ATLANTIC
    • Boston
    • New Jersey
    • NY Islanders
    • NY Rangers
    • Philadelphia
    • Pittsburgh
    • Washington
    • Carolina
I don't see Phoenix hanging around after this coming season. If there were any serious feelers from Houston or KC or Portland, there is no way Winnipeg would've gotten the Thrashers (call me paranoid if you will). So I'll assume there wasn't any ownership interest there.

At best, they may not have been on standby, and ready to take a team on short notice. If Gary Bettman works the phone, he might have an outside chance at talking Les Alexander or Paul Allen prepared into taking the Coyotes. But I think the chances of either one wanting an NHL franchise RIGHT NOW are slim. The best hope is if the NBA totally implodes, and Portland and Houston realize they have a permanent 45-date hole in their winter schedules. The NHL might sneak in almost via the back door as "the only game in town".

Failing that, the only option I see is folding Phoenix, and awarding an expansion franchise for 2015-2016 once the new Quebec City arena is ready. Interestingly, the Nordiques new logo, had they stayed 1 season longer, would've been http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rdiquesNew.png. How does this look?
Attached Images
File Type: png lesnordiques.png‎ (30.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png QuebecNordiquesNew.png‎ (50.5 KB, 3 views)

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Apparently the Minnesota GM, may have revealed that Winnipeg would be in a division with Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Columbus, and Minnesota.

Source.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Yellow Dog

vCash: 500
^-- happy to see Columbus and Nashville staying in the West. i mean really... who wants to play against those guys more than twice

Yellow Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

That's a pretty relaxed division at the moment.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Looks like were heading to the Central Division folks.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
That's a pretty relaxed division at the moment.
Maybe we can get a 2012-13 division champions banner.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=3715...ce=twitterfeed

tsn's report
same as the rest I am guessing

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I have several posts here and at BoH about realignment and I am not surprised that the league went with 4 divisions.

I would like a return to the Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick division names as well.

I am also not surprised that we won't be in the Pacific/Smythe. We were only there last time because once Colorado moved to New Jersey they had to shift one Central time zone team and it was us.

Still unresolved (officially) is what to do about Phoenix, which team moves from west to east (which is a given if Phoenix moves to Quebec), and which of the current 3 divisions in the east gets split up.

This is what I think:

WITH PHOENIX
Code:
Smythe        Norris      Adams       Patrick
Vancouver     Winnipeg    Montreal    Philadelphia
Edmonton      Minnesota   Boston      Pittsburgh
Calgary       St. Louis   Buffalo     Washington 
Los Angeles   Chicago     Toronto     NY Rangers
Anaheim       Dallas      Ottawa      NY Islanders
San Jose      Detroit     Carolina    New Jersey
Colorado      Columbus    Nashville   Tampa Bay
Phoenix                               Florida
I do not expect Phoenix to stay. But if they do then the league has to pick which of Detroit, Columbus, and Nashville moves.

The only other decision is which current eastern division to split. I picked the southeast and returned Carolina to their ancestral homeland in the Adams Division.

WITH QUEBEC
Code:
Smythe        Norris      Adams       Patrick
Vancouver     Winnipeg    Montreal    Philadelphia
Edmonton      Minnesota   Boston      Pittsburgh
Calgary       St. Louis   Buffalo     Washington 
Los Angeles   Chicago     Toronto     NY Rangers
Anaheim       Dallas      Ottawa      NY Islanders
San Jose      Detroit     Carolina    New Jersey
Colorado      Columbus    Quebec      Tampa Bay
              Nashville               Florida
In the event the league wants to keep the southern teams together then probably it would be necessary to move Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to the Adams and Carolina to the Patrick.

IMO, since there is a chance that Florida will also move it makes sense to split the southern squads. If Florida goes to Hamilton then they just slide over to the Adams, and Carolina would have an option to slide into the Patrick.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
I like this division. It just makes more sense, geographically and time zone wise than the NW. Plus, I think we can get a real divisional rivalry going with Minnesota.

Also, still being in the same division as Nashville will most certainly please most if not all of our Atlanta fans

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Huffer

I am a fan of being in the Central division as I think it will be better for travel (less time zones), and better for us fans with less late games.

I also like the fact that the schedule will have each team playing each other twice (home and home) so fans get to see every team each year.

The only thing I am uneasy about is the change to the playoffs. I'm not too excited about going to a playoff format based on divisions. Ranking the teams 1-8 I think is more fair. I don't want to see situations where the 5 place team in a division misses the playoffs while having more points that the 4th place team in another division. Same goes for match-ups. Continually running into a great franchise (like we did with the Oilers in the 80's), is unfair as well.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Jetsfan79

Am I the only one not liking the 4 division Idea? It may be great for the regular season but it's terrible for the playoffs. You will always have the same four teams play each other all the time. A team's success usually goes in cycles, so you’ll get that same 4-6 team spread and even if the 1st round matchup switches in a given year, the 2nd round would certainly be within that same 2-3 team spread. How is that exciting? I remember when the 8 team conference first came out and I thought was so cool. It was nice to see the jets play the wings back in 96 (except for the result ofcourse) instead of them constantly playing the flames oilers or canucks. I know they will likely be in the central but I see the same thing happening
For example let’s say these are the standings year after next in the "new" central:

1. Chicago
2. Nashville
3. Minnesota
4 Winnipeg
(wishful thinking I know)
5 St. Louis
6. Dallas Stars
7. Columbus

Let’s also assume the same 4-6 teams remain the top teams for the next few seasons. Instead of getting 8 teams spread across an entire half league, we will perpetually see the same 7 teams in the early rounds play each other for years to come over and over and over. Potential playoff matchups can be calculated before each given regular season begins. That would greatly reduce anticapation IMHO.

I understand the rivalry/travel arguments but I think if you keep the 5 team division format, you will still see rivalries spark up due to the shear amount of games division teams play each other durring the year.

And finally, how is fair that one division (with 7 teams) gets a higher chance of making the playoffs than the 8 team division? The 7 team division will always have an advantage because of 1 less team to compete with to reach the top 4 positions. (unless they have some bizarre crossover or the nhl expands [oh please no more dillusion of talent])

My solution:

Either keep the old format and just move Winnipeg to the NW, Minnesota to the Central, and then Nashville or Columbus to the southeast. Please people why should WPG be the ONLY canadian team stranded in their divison? We can have our cake and eat it too if they go to the NW. We get our rivalries back with vancouver/alberta teams without neccesarly always facing them ad nasim in the early playoff rounds.

or

Do the 4 division as planned, have the balanced schedule as planned. But still seed the best 8 teams out of 15 (not the best 4 out of 7/8) and have seeded conferences like it is now. Remember eliminating 1 division would make winning your division even more worthy as you will need to be the best of 7/8 teams instead of 5 and would now guarantee you either 1st or 2nd in the entire conference.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 07-12-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Jetsfan79

Sorry Huffer I see that you just posted basically the same concern I have. Glad I'm not the only one that is thinking the divison format is not a good idea for the playoffs.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 07-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 05:32 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
IMO, not having the Western Canadian teams in the same division is a major faux pas. I see it as taking us for granted, we'll buy the tickets, the merch and watch on TV regardless, so who cares?

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:42 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
I would like to be in the Central division that the Minny GM talked about, I think in terms of time zones it makes alot more sense than throwing us out with teams on the west coast. Also I think that we'll get to see plenty of the Flames, Oil and 'Nucks on tv so I'd rather play team that I would otherwise see less of.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Jetsfan79

^^^BigZ65 your are right I would tune in no matter who they are playing. However, I thinks channels like TSN, sportsnet and HNIC would be in a better position to promote the jets games if they played more often against a team like vancouver as apposed to columbus. As for HNIC, I know they can and will regionalise some games but it would be nice if all of canada got to see the jets as often as the oilers or flames. It would suck if most of canada see the leafs, winnipeggers see the jets and ALL of canada see the canucks/oilers/falmes in the late games. WPG would be the ugly child of Canada tv executives. Thats why I think its's better to have them join the western teams> more exposure to non-manitobans.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 07-12-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Well, it sounds like Winnipeg and Minny will be joining Chicago, St. Louis and possibly Detroit, among others, in a new division the following season, as discussed in this link I found on the Wild website:

http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/podcas...11%2520HR3.mp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I must be old, but I remember distinctly that the Winnipeg Free Press was constantly ranting about how we got the bum deal being in the Smythe, with all our travel. And L.A. was a big deal with Gretzky, so the NHL wanted to ease their travel burdens hence the expansion to San Jose, and expansion to Anaheim. I personally would rather see Jonny Toews 3 times a year than any of Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver, and I want Mark Chipman to make money, the new divisional alignment will reduce travel expenses, and make more games accessible to viewers (not everyone can stay up the extra two hours to watch Pacific coast games). [/FONT]
It is good to see the Jets being put in the proper division. Voyaguer, you're not old. It has been said on sportstalk shows many times that the Jets were happy when they were in the Norris div. and then unhappy when they put in the Smythe. Wikipedia supports this. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...t=Search&ns0=1

In 1981, the NHL, hoping to reduce travel costs in the face of a struggling economy and high energy prices, re-aligned its divisions along geographical lines, although the non-geographical names were retained until 1993.The regular season and playoffs were also altered to emphasize divisional match-ups. The Jets successfully lobbied to be placed in the more central Norris Division as opposed to the Smythe. However, the relocation of the Colorado Rockies to New Jersey the following year compelled the Jets to return to the Smythe, where they remained for over a decade.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
^^^BigZ65 your are right I would tune in no matter who they are playing. However, I thinks channels like TSN, sportsnet and HNIC would be in a better position to promote the jets games if they played more often against a team like vancouver as apposed to columbus. As for HNIC, I know they can and will regionalise some games but it would be nice if all of canada got to see the jets as often as the oilers or flames. It would suck if most of canada see the leafs, winnipeggers see the jets and ALL of canada see the canucks/oilers/falmes in the late games. WPG would be the ugly child of Canada tv executives. Thats why I think its's better to have them join the western teams> more exposure to non-manitobans.
For this season only, the amount of Jets games on HNIC will be higher than the other western teams because the Jets playing in the eastern conference. They play on 18 Sat. and all of them should be on HNIC. For 2012-13 when the Jets are in the western conference, it will change. The other western teams are on HNIC 14 times each and the Jets may get that same amount or more. This depends on what they do with their regional package and the amount of TSN games. The western teams are on TSN 10 times each.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
IMO, not having the Western Canadian teams in the same division is a major faux pas. I see it as taking us for granted, we'll buy the tickets, the merch and watch on TV regardless, so who cares?
It is not a faux pas. Check my post that is 2 above this one. The Jets were happy being not being in the Smythe.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:37 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i personally would like to be in a conference with the other western canadian teams....not much rivalry with the likes of columbus, st. louis and dallas.....i would prefer to compete with cities where the people at least have a vague idea where winnipeg is.

i suppose if they go to a home and home for every team though that would mean only 24 games left for conference rivals anyways....

so would they do 2 games with the other conference, 3 games with the other division within your conference and 4 games within your division?

Last edited by peter sullivan: 07-12-2011 at 10:43 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Superdowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
Please, no divisional playoffs!!!
This a million times this.

Superdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:17 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Part of me likes the idea of divisional playoffs. Better chance of Canadian teams meeting each other in the playoffs which for me personally I would love to see. But at the same time I get a headache just thinking about having to see the exact same series every year.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:29 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
cant we stay in the southeast for a few years? i want to see crosby play

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
If the Jets joined the Pacific/West division, it would be difficult for a lot of fans to watch a lot of 10:00 PM road games, and come in for work/school the following morning. Lower ratings mean lower TV revenues.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:10 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
If the Jets joined the Pacific/West division, it would be difficult for a lot of fans to watch a lot of 10:00 PM road games, and come in for work/school the following morning. Lower ratings mean lower TV revenues.
This is it, and I'm surprised it's not mentioned more.

TV is the fastest growing revenue stream for the NHL. If they want that to continue, I expect the re-alignment to be as "TV friendly" as possible, which probably means 2 things:

1. Teams playing against teams in the same time zone as much as possible. This has the side benefit of cutting down on jet lag/fatigue

2. Teams playing their "traditional rivals" as much as possible. I'm defining "traditional rivals" here as "games between teams that draw a lot of casual fans who only know 10 teams in the NHL" This means a lot of Canadian-vs-Canadian match-ups for us, and a lot of Rangers/Philly/Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh match-ups in the US.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:17 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
It's 9pm, not 10pm for west games here. Most games are over by 11:15 and there's this thing called PVR

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote