HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
DeadPuck

vCash: 500
Pre-game'd at Foley's which is a few blocks from MSG. Food was good and it's not as crowded as the bars closer to the garden.

I would go back.

http://foleysny.com/

Old
03-23-2012, 11:44 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG View Post
Absolutely love it here so far. Saw Seminar with Alan Rickman last night, very good show.

This is the first American city I've been to that I would love to live in
Can't have a better endorsement than that.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

My New York streak continues..(From Norway to New York at least one time yearly since the year 2000 - and proud of it)

This june I'm staying at the Affinia Manhattan near MSG, anyone stayed there and can give some pointers?

Old
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Hey guys, I'm going to go to NYC in July. One my destinations I wanna visit is Seaside Heights (Jersey Shore).

I was wonderin how much the cover is at Karma Nightclub (I believe that's where the JS cast party at), its hours of operation, etc etc.

And how is that club?

Old
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to go to NYC in July. One my destinations I wanna visit is Seaside Heights (Jersey Shore).

I was wonderin how much the cover is at Karma Nightclub (I believe that's where the JS cast party at), its hours of operation, etc etc.

And how is that club?
I'm pretty sure it's around $20 to get in, that's the maximum I would pay to go in that place. I was working in the area a few summers ago and me and a few colleagues went to go check it out on a Wednesday night, turns out it was teen night. That was the first and only time I've been denied entrance because of my age

Old
03-26-2012, 06:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

And how is that club?

NYC is not exactly close the Seaside Heights.

03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
metallicat

Who's the best to follow on twitter for Yankees news/insider stuff...etc?

Old
03-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
NYC is not exactly close the Seaside Heights.
Isn't it like an hour away though?

Old
03-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Just wanna hear your opinion. Don't know if any of you are a hardcore club goers but as someone who works at a high end nightclub in Toronto, i'm just curious to know some of the most high-end nightclubs in NYC.

And when is last call for alcohol in NYC?

Old
03-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Just wanna hear your opinion. Don't know if any of you are a hardcore club goers but as someone who works at a high end nightclub in Toronto, i'm just curious to know some of the most high-end nightclubs in NYC.

And when is last call for alcohol in NYC?
4am.

I don't know what your definition of high end is, but some places you might want to check out are 230 Fifth, Empire Hotel Rooftop, Tenjune, Gansevoort, Bar Basque and Hudson Terrace.

If you're going with a group of guys it's going to be hard to get in unless you go early or purchase bottle service, which will run about $300-400 for a bottle of Goose.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Isn't it like an hour away though?
At least 90 minutes. Without traffic.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
RUSF18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
4am.

I don't know what your definition of high end is, but some places you might want to check out are 230 Fifth, Empire Hotel Rooftop, Tenjune, Gansevoort, Bar Basque and Hudson Terrace.

If you're going with a group of guys it's going to be hard to get in unless you go early or purchase bottle service, which will run about $300-400 for a bottle of Goose.
I went to Empire fairly regularly for about two years, but haven't in about 6 months, so unless it has changed since then, it's been no problem getting in without buying bottles. If you're in a group you might have to be patient, but you'll get in. Definitely more of a lounge than club (actually most of those would fit that description).

Old
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
4am.

That won't a problem...

I have a ton of girls coming with me

Old
03-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Random question, this looks like a good thread for it. My wife and I are visiting NYC in June. We found a good deal on airfare with Porter Airlines but we'd be flying into Newark. Is it difficult to get to NY from Newark? If so, what's the best way (bus, train, cab, camel?) and how long does it take?

Old
03-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
Random question, this looks like a good thread for it. My wife and I are visiting NYC in June. We found a good deal on airfare with Porter Airlines but we'd be flying into Newark. Is it difficult to get to NY from Newark? If so, what's the best way (bus, train, cab, camel?) and how long does it take?
By car it's like 45 minutes. You can take the PATH train, but I'm not sure how long it takes.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

03-31-2012, 05:42 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post

It's actually very easy. You can take the NJ transit from Newark Airport into New York Penn Station. The ride is anywhere from 25-31 minutes depending if you get a local train or not. If it's cheaper to fly into Newark, I would definitely do that.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...nSchedulesFrom

Old
03-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
It's actually very easy. You can take the NJ transit from Newark Airport into New York Penn Station. The ride is anywhere from 25-31 minutes depending if you get a local train or not. If it's cheaper to fly into Newark, I would definitely do that.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...nSchedulesFrom
Fabulous, thanks so much!

Old
04-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:
That won't a problem...

I have a ton of girls coming with me
Cool. In that case, the sky, as well as your wallet, is the limit.

You might also want to check out Greenhouse, it seems like the players from the Orlando Magic had a great time there.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Hey - I'm coming to NYC with one of my girlfriends at the end of April. She has her design on seeing theatre - which I don't want to see. For me? My dream in life for so long has been to see a Yankees game...she refuses to come. I'm at the point where I'm content to go and watch a game without anyone coming.

What do people thing about that? Am I okay going to a Yankees game alone (assume I won't be bored by myself and I won't show up in a Blue Jays jersey)?...is there anything I should be worried about if I go to the game alone?

Also...will I be okay getting to/from Yankee stadium? Our hotel is on W. 47th between 7th Ave. and 6th Ave. I'm from Toronto...which obviously isn't as big as NYC...but I've been there before and am not from a one stoplight town or anything like that.

My main this is I really, really want to go to a Yankees game (have loved the team for a long time)...and this trip to NYC I finally have the time (while they're in the city)...and am wondering whether it's cool if I buck up and just go on my own?....

Old
04-06-2012, 01:27 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Hey - I'm coming to NYC with one of my girlfriends at the end of April. She has her design on seeing theatre - which I don't want to see. For me? My dream in life for so long has been to see a Yankees game...she refuses to come. I'm at the point where I'm content to go and watch a game without anyone coming.

What do people thing about that? Am I okay going to a Yankees game alone (assume I won't be bored by myself and I won't show up in a Blue Jays jersey)?...is there anything I should be worried about if I go to the game alone?

Also...will I be okay getting to/from Yankee stadium? Our hotel is on W. 47th between 7th Ave. and 6th Ave. I'm from Toronto...which obviously isn't as big as NYC...but I've been there before and am not from a one stoplight town or anything like that.

My main this is I really, really want to go to a Yankees game (have loved the team for a long time)...and this trip to NYC I finally have the time (while they're in the city)...and am wondering whether it's cool if I buck up and just go on my own?....
The area around Yankee Stadium isn't too great but you'll be fine as there are tons of cops in the area with the amount of people showing up. You could take the train there and back and you'll be fine. The B and D trains are the closest to where you're staying that go to Yankee Stadium. You could get the train between 47th and 50th streets on 6th avenue so you're right there. Also, going by yourself may be boring but that's just me. I feel like you could get away with it for hockey but baseball is so slow that you have to be with someone just to keep you entertained at points.

EDIT - If you're worried about anything happening on the train at night by yourself, you shouldn't be either. There will be tons of people leaving the game as well on the train and the NYC subway is always packed it seems. It's nowhere near as dangerous or as bad as it was 30 years ago.

04-07-2012, 05:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Nothing wrong with going to the game on your own. I've certainly seen it done before. If you aren't antagonistic, you shouldn't catch much flak, either.

As far as safety, NYRFAN218 is pretty spot-on with everything. You'll be perfectly fine, as there will be a mass of other people going at the same time. Just follow the crowd.

RANGERS =
Old
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Who's the best to follow on twitter for Yankees news/insider stuff...etc?
Buster Olney or any yankee beat writer

Old
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
cdooer

Coming in from out of town, need advice on seats

I was hoping someone could help me. My wife and I are going to NYC to watch the game on Saturday night. We're habs fans who live in Ottawa, so I guess we're going to cheer for the Sens? My wife has never been to NYC before, so the hockey game is the last thing she cares about. Anyway, I've only been to MSG once but I can't remember exactly what seat we sat in. It was either the very first row in the 200 or 300 section, and it was a great seat. There was a large corridor right in front of us. Anyway, if I had to chose between the first row in the 200 or 300 section, which should I chose?

Old
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
McDunna with Fries

You can watch it at a bar. Seats at MSG are reserved for Ranger fans only

Old
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
cdooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
You can watch it at a bar. Seats at MSG are reserved for Ranger fans only

Good point, but I really won't be cheering for the Sens though. Last year I watched the Rangers play Boston near the end of the year at MSG...the atmosphere was awesome. Fantastic fans. C'mon, help a fellow hockey fan out.

Closed Thread