HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
As far as I know the intent is to re-sign him and keep him. Also, Darren Dreger was asked Friday afternoon leading up to the draft if Bogosian may be dealt, and his response was a quick 'not very likely'.

I really think Bogosian is going to get a fair shake here.

I think he will also. Let's just hope he embraces it and improves his development.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:48 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Brooks Laich would be a nice addition

Old
06-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
Brooks Laich would be a nice addition
I'd say he definitely has many qualities in which management stands for. Now, I see he's LW/C and as it stands he wouldn't play LW here with Ladd and Kane occupying the top 2 spots, but, if we roll Laich, Little and Burmistrov down the middle, that could work. I really am unsure that management will go into the year counting and putting the pressure on Burmistrov to be the teams no. 2 center, with very little depth behind him. We'll see.

I'm really interested to see what Chevy and management do here in free agency. They seem like quite an aggressive group, but i'm not totally sure of their intentions. We know they want to build through the draft, but what do they want to do in the meantime? This team is ready to be built upon now, not sit around pissing up a tree for 2,3 or 5 years while we build our own system through the draft. It's pretty clear that this team has a real solid young core in place but need some pieces added, and generally speaking those pieces come in the form of free agency and trade. So I am really looking forward to seeing which route we go here in the next week.

Also, I believe it is almost critical that management shows they have intentions of making this team a winner today, tomorrow and in the future. Both for the guys we have here today and the market we'd like to build as an attractive, winning organization. There is no reason you cannot add helpful pieces along the way to help your team compete while also building through the draft and developing your own talent. In my opinion, guys like Ladd, Little, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, etc.. will want to see progress going towards winning now, as well as the future, of course. Some of these guys have been through some down years in Atlanta, and want to win, want to be competitive. No need to sit around and piss away the next 2-4 years while we've got guys like Ladd, Byfuglien, Enstrom, etc, etc, ready and wanting to win today.

My personal opinion is this team can become a legitimate playoff team today, and in time become a legitimate contender, while in the meantime have a top notch developmental system in place that see's us scout well, draft well and develop well. I believe this organization wants to run a model franchise such as Detroit.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
I'd say he definitely has many qualities in which management stands for. Now, I see he's LW/C and as it stands he wouldn't play LW here with Ladd and Kane occupying the top 2 spots, but, if we roll Laich, Little and Burmistrov down the middle, that could work. I really am unsure that management will go into the year counting and putting the pressure on Burmistrov to be the teams no. 2 center, with very little depth behind him. We'll see.

I'm really interested to see what Chevy and management do here in free agency. They seem like quite an aggressive group, but i'm not totally sure of their intentions. We know they want to build through the draft, but what do they want to do in the meantime? This team is ready to be built upon now, not sit around pissing up a tree for 2,3 or 5 years while we build our own system through the draft. It's pretty clear that this team has a real solid young core in place but need some pieces added, and generally speaking those pieces come in the form of free agency and trade. So I am really looking forward to seeing which route we go here in the next week.

Also, I believe it is almost critical that management shows they have intentions of making this team a winner today, tomorrow and in the future. Both for the guys we have here today and the market we'd like to build as an attractive, winning organization. There is no reason you cannot add helpful pieces along the way to help your team compete while also building through the draft and developing your own talent. In my opinion, guys like Ladd, Little, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, etc.. will want to see progress going towards winning now, as well as the future, of course. Some of these guys have been through some down years in Atlanta, and want to win, want to be competitive. No need to sit around and piss away the next 2-4 years while we've got guys like Ladd, Byfuglien, Enstrom, etc, etc, ready and wanting to win today.

My personal opinion is this team can become a legitimate playoff team today, and in time become a legitimate contender, while in the meantime have a top notch developmental system in place that see's us scout well, draft well and develop well. I believe this organization wants to run a model franchise such as Detroit.
And this is why you're a mod. Great post!

Old
06-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
It should be noted that Friday, Fletcher mentioned every defensemen in the organization -- even Tyler Cuma, who is coming off major knee surgery -- except Barker. The Wild has tried hard to trade him and appears to be leaning toward buying him out by Thursday if it can't.

Fletcher met Saturday with Barker's agent. Fletcher also still is looking at trade options for character forwards.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=2&c=y

Just going to do a bit of speculation here, but as posted on the main board here and from the Minnesota Wild's insider Michael Russo, defenseman and Winnipeg native Cam Barker may be bought out on Friday.

Obviously a 3rd overall pick in 2004 who had fallen out of favor in Chicago and hasn't revived himself at all while in Minnesota. Cam Barker's time in the NHL could come to an end here if he cannot turn things around in the near future. Would it be worth a shot/gamble here if Barker was open to playing at home to try and revive what was once looked upon as a pretty highly regarded defenseman and prospect?

He may work out, he may not. But if the deal were to be right and on the cheap end (which i'm sure it would be given the circumstances of Barker's career to this point), it could be a low risk/high reward type move. Cheveldayoff will be somewhat familiar with Barker from their time in Chicago, even though it wasn't for that long (51 games of the 09-10 season).

Again, perhaps Barker isn't what this team needs given the depth on defense. But, I suppose i'm trying to look at the bigger picture here; a young defenseman who just turned 25 in April, a former 3rd overall pick and very highly regarded prospect, a Winnipeg native, will likely come on a bargain contract, low risk/potential high reward kind of move.

Who knows, he could come to camp and impress if given the opportunity. He could outplay some guys nobody really expects him to outplay, such as a guy like Ron Hainsey, for example. Worth a shot even on just a low cost 1 year deal?

For instance, many say whoever plays with Enstrom looks pretty good and Tobias makes things a lot easier for them, so what if Barker played with Enstrom and we seen how that would go? We could move Byfuglien to forward helping fill the RW void. Barker is still the same guy who just 2 years ago put up 40 points in 68 games with the Hawks. And if he's not paired with Enstrom, perhaps he could be paired with a reliable defender such as Hainsey. But remember, if it doesn't work, fine, move Buff back to defense and let Barker battle it out for the 6-7 defensemans spot. Again, if he's on a 1 year, cheap contract, it won't be a big loss if he ends up not turning out and is nothing more than a 6/7 defender.

I just think at this point, it would give us some interesting options and scenarios to look at. I personally have a hard time turning a blind eye to a former highly touted 3rd overall defenseman who played most of the entire season at just 24 years of age. On a cheap 1 year deal, low risk/potential high reward, 'come prove your worth', I would be open to it.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old
06-27-2011, 10:08 AM
King Woodballs
**** This Place

vCash: 375
On a one year under a million deal yeah give Barker a shot
If it doesnt work out then let him go and be done with it

Old
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Lux Aurumque*

We should go after Scotty Upshall. He's a UFA, right?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
LT

Quote:

The one thing about the salary cap is that it almost forces Chevy into going after some real talent. I don't know how else you reach that floor without doing that or you have to trade away and upgrade but that's going to be difficult. I don't know how many teams are out there that have to spend up to the cap floor, Florida comes to mind, the Jets and I would assume the Coyotes unless the NHL bends the rules there. Then you still have the top of the cap going up where the high end teams can now spend more. It's going to be competitive to get the UFA's. Now there are rumblings that Philly and others may go after Stamkos...it's gonna be a mess.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
You're correct. He's a guy many, including myself, have an eye on.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
The one thing about the salary cap is that it almost forces Chevy into going after some real talent. I don't know how else you reach that floor without doing that or you have to trade away and upgrade but that's going to be difficult. I don't know how many teams are out there that have to spend up to the cap floor, Florida comes to mind, the Jets and I would assume the Coyotes unless the NHL bends the rules there. Then you still have the top of the cap going up where the high end teams can now spend more. It's going to be competitive to get the UFA's. Now there are rumblings that Philly and others may go after Stamkos...it's gonna be a mess.
Not necessarily. We currently sit at $35,941,666 with a cap floor of 48 million. Ladd will get minimum 4 million, Bogosian 2.5, Wheeler 2.5... these are all minimum expected salaries on my part. So that's 9 million, thus bringing us to $44,941,666. If we re-sign guys such as Stewart, Schremp, Boulton ,etc.. or replacements for them, we'll in all likelihood reach the cap floor with relative ease.

There doesn't need to be a big signing for this team to reach the cap floor.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
borno87

Quote:
[url]

Just going to do a bit of speculation here, but as posted on the main board here and from the Minnesota Wild's insider Michael Russo, defenseman and Winnipeg native Cam Barker may be bought out on Friday.

Obviously a 3rd overall pick in 2004 who had fallen out of favor in Chicago and hasn't revived himself at all while in Minnesota. Cam Barker's time in the NHL could come to an end here if he cannot turn things around in the near future. Would it be worth a shot/gamble here if Barker was open to playing at home to try and revive what was once looked upon as a pretty highly regarded defenseman and prospect?

For instance, many say whoever plays with Enstrom looks pretty good and Tobias makes things a lot easier for them, so what if Barker played with Enstrom and we seen how that would go? We could move Byfuglien to forward helping fill the RW void. Barker is still the same guy who just 2 years ago put up 40 points in 68 games with the Hawks. And if he's not paired with Enstrom, perhaps he could be paired with a reliable defender such as Hainsey. But remember, if it doesn't work, fine, move Buff back to defense and let Barker battle it out for the 6-7 defensemans spot. Again, if he's on a 1 year, cheap contract, it won't be a big loss if he ends up not turning out and is nothing more than a 6/7 defender.

I just think at this point, it would give us some interesting options and scenarios to look at. I personally have a hard time turning a blind eye to a former 3rd overall defenseman who played most of the entire season at just 24 years of age. On a cheap 1 year deal, low risk/potential high reward, 'come prove your worth', I would be open to it.
I like this idea.

The team is deep at defense, however there is way too much money tied up in underachieving plays like Oduya (1 year left at $3.5MM) and Hainsey (2 years at $4.5MM). It's likely that Oduya won't be resigned after this season, and I can't see Hainsey sticking around at the end of his deal.

There are some solid prospects who could move up in the next 2,3 years (Postma/Kulda) and if Bogosian matures and bounces back this season, he could command a $5MM+ cap number for a long term extension.

Signing Barker to that kind of low-risk deal could pay dividends. Let's say Chevy goes for it and Barker proves to be a reliable 3rd pairing kind of guy. In 2-3 years we could be looking at these pairings:

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Bogosian - Stuart
Barker - Postma/Kulda

I would say thats solid, not great defensive depth and gives flexibility to add a veteran presence via UFA or trade should the team be considered a contender.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Huffer

Quote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=2&c=y

He may work out, he may not. But if the deal were to be right and on the cheap end (which i'm sure it would be given the circumstances of Barker's career to this point), it could be a low risk/high reward type move. Cheveldayoff will be somewhat familiar with Barker from their time in Chicago, even though it wasn't for that long (51 games of the 09-10 season).

Again, perhaps Barker isn't what this team needs given the depth on defense. But, I suppose i'm trying to look at the bigger picture here; a young defenseman who just turned 25 in April, a former 3rd overall pick and very highly regarded prospect, a Winnipeg native, will likely come on a bargain contract, low risk/potential high reward kind of move.

Who knows, he could come to camp and impress if given the opportunity. He could outplay some guys nobody really expects him to outplay, such as a guy like Ron Hainsey, for example. Worth a shot even on just a low cost 1 year deal?

I just think at this point, it would give us some interesting options and scenarios to look at. I personally have a hard time turning a blind eye to a former highly touted 3rd overall defenseman who played most of the entire season at just 24 years of age. On a cheap 1 year deal, low risk/potential high reward, 'come prove your worth', I would be open to it.
I would be on board with this assuming the following:

1) We give up very little. I mean VERY little. A very late pick (6 or 7) or a prospect that we think will never see the NHL.

2) This is a sensitive issue, but the word on the street is that Barker has some "issues". The kind that you join an NHL program to work out. IF that is the case, I don't know how serious I would be about him. I would want to know that he would be getting his life in order before committing to him. IF he didn't have his act together, it would be a huge distraction to the club. There has to be a reason why Minnesota is willing to cut this guy loose.

But, if he did have his act together, it might be worth it to see if he can turn it around in his home town.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

1) We give up very little. I mean VERY little. A very late pick (6 or 7) or a prospect that we think will never see the NHL.

The positive is, if he is bought out by Minnesota, which at this point seems to be a likely option, it won't cost us any assets. The plus here is, he'll already be getting paid a bit from the buyout by Minnesota, and with the circumstances of his career, he won't demand much money in my opinion. Anyone who signs him will likely spend very little towards a contract for his services.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Flyers wanted Kane, Burmistrov and 7th overall for Richards

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

Quote:
However, Cheveldayoff would neither confirm nor deny a report that the Jets were among the teams that kicked the tires on Kenora product Mike Richards before the Los Angeles Kings acquired the former Philadelphia Flyers captain in a package deal that included former Brandon Wheat Kings centre Brayden Schenn.

One published report said the Flyers were looking for a package that included Evander Kane, Winnipeg’s first round pick (seventh overall on Friday) and possibly second-year centre and 2010 first-rounder Alexander Burmistrov.

We’re guessing that conversation was a brief one, but Cheveldayoff wasn’t willing to shed any light on it.

“You know what, I’m not going to discuss anything we may or may not have been in,” said Cheveldayoff.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/27...-their-options

Old
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Le Golie

Haha. Why not Enstrom and Buff too?

Click.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure they did.

And I want Stamkos for Thorburn.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84

Old
06-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Pendar

I like Richards but I wouldn't even consider trading Kane for him 1 for 1... let alone as part of a package.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

2) This is a sensitive issue, but the word on the street is that Barker has some "issues". The kind that you join an NHL program to work out. IF that is the case, I don't know how serious I would be about him. I would want to know that he would be getting his life in order before committing to him. IF he didn't have his act together, it would be a huge distraction to the club. There has to be a reason why Minnesota is willing to cut this guy loose.

But, if he did have his act together, it might be worth it to see if he can turn it around in his home town.
Personally, I wouldn't want Barker on our roster. I really hope he turns around what was supposed to be a promising career, but I could see him having Joffrey Lupul syndrom. When Joffrey came to play in Edmonton, he said that it was a huge distraction; so many "friends" came out of the woods acting like his best friend just looking to mooch.

Barker knows too many guys like that around the Peg.

I hope he can pull it together.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
This

Old
06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiehockey View Post
The two UFA's that really interest me are Brooks Laich and Jussi Jokinen.

I think Laich would be a great 2nd C. I really like Jokinen as a player, not sure if he can play RW tho.

Thoughts?
Laich for sure, but Jokinen is a one trick pony, or maybe I just haven't seen him play in a while.

Last edited by DinoNeils: 06-27-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old
06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
Laich for sure, but Jokinen is a one trick pony, or maybe I just haven't seen him play in a while.
Yup, haven't seen him play in a while it seems. I didn't realize he was over 50 points the last two year.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
You're correct. He's a guy many, including myself, have an eye on.
I think he'd be a great fit for your team. They could certainly use a guy like him to fill out the wing.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Hank Chinaski

*Warning: this post will be a rambling yarn about team-building, may bore you to tears. Reader discretion is advised*

When thinking about how I would build and structure an NHL team, I always look at the philosophy of the New England Patriots, my favourite sports franchise (okay, now my second favourite). I firmly believe that how Bill Belichick runs his team has broad applications to just about any sports franchise. To expand further, here are the 7 key tenets of the 'Patriot way' as I see it:

1. Building a foundation through solid scouting and drafting (pretty obvious one)
2. Scouting players and ranking them based on how well they fit your organizational philosophy, rather than simply ranking based on production and raw skill
3. Stockpiling draft picks, thereby increasing your chances that you'll strike big on a pick or uncover a late-round steal
4. Not being afraid to offload dead-weight or expendible players, even if it means your team may be worse off initially
5. Acquiring veteran players that may lack great physical skill, but possess great intangible qualities (hockey IQ, leadership, etc.)
6. All players on the roster valued equally for the role they serve
7. Having every player not just willing but actively wanting to outwork and be more prepared than their opponent

Now, running a successful franchise is obviously not a "cookbook" kind of thing. There are always going to be various influencing factors that may force you outside your general philosphy. There will be good periods and bad periods. But by keeping an organizational philosophy and sticking to it, you create a culture that players will want to be a part of. Of course, the key is proving that the philosophy works.

Whatever philosophy Cheveldayoff and Heisinger decide to employ, and whether it looks anything like this, I hope they quickly identify who "their guys" are on this roster, and make the necessary moves to augment them. I'd also hope that Jets fans can be patient, and not go off the handle when they make a move that might not make sense at first glance. Kind of like how I screamed bloody murder when the Pats cut Lawyer Milloy in 2003 haha.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
*Warning: this post will be a rambling yarn about team-building, may bore you to tears. Reader discretion is advised*

When thinking about how I would build and structure an NHL team, I always look at the philosophy of the New England Patriots, my favourite sports franchise (okay, now my second favourite). I firmly believe that how Bill Belichick runs his team has broad applications to just about any sports franchise. To expand further, here are the 7 key tenets of the 'Patriot way' as I see it:

1. Building a foundation through solid scouting and drafting (pretty obvious one)
2. Scouting players and ranking them based on how well they fit your organizational philosophy, rather than simply ranking based on production and raw skill
3. Stockpiling draft picks, thereby increasing your chances that you'll strike big on a pick or uncover a late-round steal
4. Not being afraid to offload dead-weight or expendible players, even if it means your team may be worse off initially
5. Acquiring veteran players that may lack great physical skill, but possess great intangible qualities (hockey IQ, leadership, etc.)
6. All players on the roster valued equally for the role they serve
7. Having every player not just willing but actively wanting to outwork and be more prepared than their opponent

Now, running a successful franchise is obviously not a "cookbook" kind of thing. There are always going to be various influencing factors that may force you outside your general philosphy. There will be good periods and bad periods. But by keeping an organizational philosophy and sticking to it, you create a culture that players will want to be a part of. Of course, the key is proving that the philosophy works.

Whatever philosophy Cheveldayoff and Heisinger decide to employ, and whether it looks anything like this, I hope they quickly identify who "their guys" are on this roster, and make the necessary moves to augment them. I'd also hope that Jets fans can be patient, and not go off the handle when they make a move that might not make sense at first glance. Kind of like how I screamed bloody murder when the Pats cut Lawyer Milloy in 2003 haha.
I am in support of this philosophy as well. New England Patriots and the Detroit Red Wings are the two franchises I would model after if I could.

Closed Thread