HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I would be on board with this assuming the following:

1) We give up very little. I mean VERY little. A very late pick (6 or 7) or a prospect that we think will never see the NHL.

2) This is a sensitive issue, but the word on the street is that Barker has some "issues". The kind that you join an NHL program to work out. IF that is the case, I don't know how serious I would be about him. I would want to know that he would be getting his life in order before committing to him. IF he didn't have his act together, it would be a huge distraction to the club. There has to be a reason why Minnesota is willing to cut this guy loose.

But, if he did have his act together, it might be worth it to see if he can turn it around in his home town.
I don't think Barker meets up to our standards of high character and hardworking. He needs to quit his partying ways and check into a rehab program for his drinking issues.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Prairiehockey

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

2) This is a sensitive issue, but the word on the street is that Barker has some "issues". The kind that you join an NHL program to work out. IF that is the case, I don't know how serious I would be about him. I would want to know that he would be getting his life in order before committing to him. IF he didn't have his act together, it would be a huge distraction to the club. There has to be a reason why Minnesota is willing to cut this guy loose.

But, if he did have his act together, it might be worth it to see if he can turn it around in his home town.
I too have heard the same thing about the "issues" Barker needs to deal with from a reliable source, and they extend beyond the bottle.

I can't see us going after him no matter how cheap the price, considering Chevy would have first hand knowledge of these things from their shared time in Chi.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Ed Tait just commented on Twitter that Andrew Ladd's agent has confirmed that Ladd received his qualifying offer.

It's been a while since I was up to date on how NHL contracts work, I'm more of a CFL guy soooo ... what does this news mean for Ladd / the Jets?

Old
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=2&c=y

Just going to do a bit of speculation here, but as posted on the main board here and from the Minnesota Wild's insider Michael Russo, defenseman and Winnipeg native Cam Barker may be bought out on Friday.

Obviously a 3rd overall pick in 2004 who had fallen out of favor in Chicago and hasn't revived himself at all while in Minnesota. Cam Barker's time in the NHL could come to an end here if he cannot turn things around in the near future. Would it be worth a shot/gamble here if Barker was open to playing at home to try and revive what was once looked upon as a pretty highly regarded defenseman and prospect?

He may work out, he may not. But if the deal were to be right and on the cheap end (which i'm sure it would be given the circumstances of Barker's career to this point), it could be a low risk/high reward type move. Cheveldayoff will be somewhat familiar with Barker from their time in Chicago, even though it wasn't for that long (51 games of the 09-10 season).

Again, perhaps Barker isn't what this team needs given the depth on defense. But, I suppose i'm trying to look at the bigger picture here; a young defenseman who just turned 25 in April, a former 3rd overall pick and very highly regarded prospect, a Winnipeg native, will likely come on a bargain contract, low risk/potential high reward kind of move.

Who knows, he could come to camp and impress if given the opportunity. He could outplay some guys nobody really expects him to outplay, such as a guy like Ron Hainsey, for example. Worth a shot even on just a low cost 1 year deal?

For instance, many say whoever plays with Enstrom looks pretty good and Tobias makes things a lot easier for them, so what if Barker played with Enstrom and we seen how that would go? We could move Byfuglien to forward helping fill the RW void. Barker is still the same guy who just 2 years ago put up 40 points in 68 games with the Hawks. And if he's not paired with Enstrom, perhaps he could be paired with a reliable defender such as Hainsey. But remember, if it doesn't work, fine, move Buff back to defense and let Barker battle it out for the 6-7 defensemans spot. Again, if he's on a 1 year, cheap contract, it won't be a big loss if he ends up not turning out and is nothing more than a 6/7 defender.

I just think at this point, it would give us some interesting options and scenarios to look at. I personally have a hard time turning a blind eye to a former highly touted 3rd overall defenseman who played most of the entire season at just 24 years of age. On a cheap 1 year deal, low risk/potential high reward, 'come prove your worth', I would be open to it.
If Barker is bought out, I do think he's someone the Jets should pursue. As long as he is on a one year deal, around 1MM. Give a local boy one last shot at fulfilling some promise. The good thing about our depth at D is there wouldn't be the pressure on Barker to be a top 4 guy. He can just find his way in the bottom 3 rotating in and out if need be.

Again, giving up on young guys on D is a mistake that is often made. This would be a low risk move with a pretty high ceiling for success.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Rob Schremp, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, Ben Maxwell, Anthony Stewart, Zach Bogosian, Brett Festerling, Spencer Machacek, Riley Holzapfel, Andrew Kozek, Arturs Kulda, and Ian McKenzie all require qualifying offers by today in order to be retained by the organization. Any word on who will be released?

Im thinking that Ladd, Wheeler, Maxwell, Stewart, Bogosian, Machacek, Holzapfel, Kulda all get QOs.

Schremp, Festerling, Kozek, McKenzie are allowed to walk free as they all add nothing.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 06-27-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the info, Holden, I wasn't aware they had to be made by today.

06-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Ed Tait just commented on Twitter that Andrew Ladd's agent has confirmed that Ladd received his qualifying offer.

It's been a while since I was up to date on how NHL contracts work, I'm more of a CFL guy soooo ... what does this news mean for Ladd / the Jets?
This just means that the Jets retain his rights. He will not accept the QO as it is much too low. He will become a RFA, meaning that if any other team were to sign Ladd, the Jets would have 7 days to match the offer and should they choose to not match the offer the team signing Ladd would be giving the Jets a bunch of draft picks (this is based on the amound of money the contract is worth and I do not have the figures off the top of my head). It buys the Jets more time to sign him while still having him protected basically.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

So it's not really an "offer", it's more just a confirmation that the team wishes to see them go to free agency as a RFA instead of a UFA?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you answered my question before I asked it.

Thanks guys.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I don't think Barker meets up to our standards of high character and hardworking. He needs to quit his partying ways and check into a rehab program for his drinking issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiehockey View Post
I too have heard the same thing about the "issues" Barker needs to deal with from a reliable source, and they extend beyond the bottle.

I can't see us going after him no matter how cheap the price, considering Chevy would have first hand knowledge of these things from their shared time in Chi.
So do you just pass on a guy like that or do you try and help him. He was a very promising player and that skill and ability doesn't just disappear. If we had to give up assets for him or take on a large salary, I would agree he's a pass, but perhaps being closer to family, knowing it's a last chance, and having some guidance could get him back on the rails, no?

Old
06-27-2011, 01:15 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
So do you just pass on a guy like that or do you try and help him. He was a very promising player and that skill and ability doesn't just disappear. If we had to give up assets for him or take on a large salary, I would agree he's a pass, but perhaps being closer to family, knowing it's a last chance, and having some guidance could get him back on the rails, no?
I think if we had less depth on defense (now and the future) we should take a chance on him, but since we have so many defensemen, I think it's better to pass.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Cam Barker looks like a serial killer. I challenge anyone to find proof that he has ever smiled.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
I think if we had less depth on defense (now and the future) we should take a chance on him, but since we have so many defensemen, I think it's better to pass.
I don't really see the harm on a one year deal for around a million dollars. We are nowhere near the cap, and you have to admit we get kinda dicey when we start talking about our depth positions defensively.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
I don't really see the harm on a one year deal for around a million dollars. We are nowhere near the cap, and you have to admit we get kinda dicey when we start talking about our depth positions defensively.
That deal is fine. Short enough and cheap enough that we don't get burned if we waive him or he is scratched.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Our depth defensively? Enstrom, Byfuglien, Hainsey, Oduya, Bogosian, Stuart are all proven players and Kulda, Postma are two guys that are ready to make an impact now, not to mention for at least the time being Festerling a decent depth guy is kicking around. It is fine.

The harm in Barker is that he is a problem in the room. He might be a great guy, but you don't want him to drag players down with his lifestyle, which might happen, especially on a young team, and especially when he is at home where he knows the territory. Barker is a big DO NOT WANT AT ANY PRICE for me. There is a reason CHI shipped him away from their young team. Jets should have no interest and based on Chevys mentality thus far I have no doubt the Jets want no part of him.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Rob Schremp, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, Ben Maxwell, Anthony Stewart, Zach Bogosian, Brett Festerling, Spencer Machacek, Riley Holzapfel, Andrew Kozek, Arturs Kulda, and Ian McKenzie all require qualifying offers by today in order to be retained by the organization. Any word on who will be released?

Im thinking that Ladd, Wheeler, Maxwell, Stewart, Bogosian, Machacek, Holzapfel, Kulda all get QOs.

Schremp, Festerling, Kozek, McKenzie are allowed to walk free as they all add nothing.
Paul Friesen speculates that Schremp and Festerling won't be qualified.

Personally, I think they all will be.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Huffer

Quote:

I think you've nailed it.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Of the UFAs available:

The Jets don't need a left winger so I won't hold out hope for Leino or Jokinen, but...

Laich as 3rd line center would be sweet!

A veteran blueliner in Salo or Hannan would be wise.

Jagr on a one-year deal or best fit of all to a multi-year deal:

Adam Hall

Quote:
Adam Hall -- The 30-year-old right wing helped the Lightning improve from No. 22 last season to No. 8 killing penalties. The 6-foot-3, 213-pound right wing led the Lightning in hits and he also won 55 percent of his faceoffs.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Of the UFAs available:

The Jets don't need a left winger so I won't hold out hope for Leino or Jokinen, but...
Agreed!!

Quote:
Laich as 3rd line center would be sweet!
Agreed

Quote:
A veteran blueliner in Salo or Hannan would be wise.
I would love to see Hannan here, but I want nothing do with Salo, unless he comes for under 2.5; too many injury issues.

Quote:
Jagr on a one-year deal or best fit of all to a multi-year deal:

[CENTER]Adam Hall
I would jump at Hall for the right price, but let Jagr go back to Pitts or another contender. The guy has incredible talent, and can be considered one of the all-time greats, but he comes off as a winer to me. He needs be somewhere where he can ride off into the sunset.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Not confirmed yet, but a Winnipeg Jets twitter page has the following

Quote:
Qualifying offers which are due by Monday will be made to restricted free agents Ladd, Bogosian, Wheeler, Maxwell and Stewart. #gojetsgo
22 minutes ago via web
No mention of Schremp, nor a bunch of other RFAs.
This was posted in the "Qualifying Offers" thread on the Trade board yesterday.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Yes to Upshall.

No to either one of Barker or Laich.

Laich's going to get something in the area of 4M and score 40ish points without the offensive power of Washington to back him up. Barker...no words. He's just awful. Basically a bigger version of MAB, but his shot isn't nearly as deadly.

Upshall fills need, and will be relatively cost effective. He can put up 20-20, kill penalties, and is fast as all hell. He's a guy you have on winning teams.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Prairiehockey

vCash: 754
Quote:
I see everything wrong with wasting a million bucks.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yes to Upshall.

No to either one of Barker or Laich.

Laich's going to get something in the area of 4M and score 40ish points without the offensive power of Washington to back him up. Barker...no words. He's just awful. Basically a bigger version of MAB, but his shot isn't nearly as deadly.

Upshall fills need, and will be relatively cost effective. He can put up 20-20, kill penalties, and is fast as all hell. He's a guy you have on winning teams.

I agree with you. Upshall is the guy I want us to target. I wouldn't mind Laich, but his contract demands could put him out of our range.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Our depth defensively? Enstrom, Byfuglien, Hainsey, Oduya, Bogosian, Stuart are all proven players and Kulda, Postma are two guys that are ready to make an impact now, not to mention for at least the time being Festerling a decent depth guy is kicking around. It is fine.

The harm in Barker is that he is a problem in the room. He might be a great guy, but you don't want him to drag players down with his lifestyle, which might happen, especially on a young team, and especially when he is at home where he knows the territory. Barker is a big DO NOT WANT AT ANY PRICE for me. There is a reason CHI shipped him away from their young team. Jets should have no interest and based on Chevys mentality thus far I have no doubt the Jets want no part of him.
I agree, Winnipeg is basing their team off character and work ethic. Barker is lacking both. He could be a cancer to our younger players. Personally I'd rather Bob Barker than Cam Barker

Old
06-27-2011, 03:16 PM
borno87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I agree, Winnipeg is basing their team off character and work ethic. Barker is lacking both. He could be a cancer to our younger players. Personally I'd rather Bob Barker than Cam Barker
On second thought... you may be right about that.

However here is what I propose.

Bring him for 1 year at the league minimum. If he slips up and partakes in the same shenanigans that has gotten him to this point in his career (and he should get the message now that he is about to be bought out after being traded by the team that drafted him) then send him packing.

Either he makes the most of this last chance at home, with his family and friends supporting him and he contributes, or he its more of the same and you cut him at the first sign of the trouble, sending a message to the young team about the kind of player the organization is willing to keep around.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:20 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Honestly, Barker isn't even worth league minimum.

He does nothing to help his team win. The only time he was even a relative positive to his team, was when he racked up points playing on a stacked Chicago powerplay -- this team's powerplay certainly isn't good enough to hide Barker's flaws, and he wouldn't usurp either of Byfuglien or Enstrom on the PP, either. It's a waste of a roster spot, contract, and cap space.

I'd rather try and dump Oduya, then pursue Jan Hejda.

Closed Thread