HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 3rd Line

Old
06-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Scurr

vCash: 500
The 3rd Line

*disclaimer*

I am not trying to take blame away from the twins. I know they need to play better for this team to win a cup.

Scoring was a story for most of the playoffs. It ended up killing us in the finals. Getting a winger for Kesler will help and so will an improvement from the Sedins. Adding a healthy Samuelsson would be huge as well. I don't think that's enough.

If you compare our top 9 to the Bruins their depth really stands out

Bruins: Krejci .92ppg, Bergeron .87, Horton .81, Marchand .76, Ryder .68, Recchi .56, Kelly .52, Lucic .48, Peverly .48

'Nucks: H.Sedin .88ppg, D.Sedin .80, Kesler .76, Burrows .68, Hansen .36, Raymond.33, Higgins .32, Torres .30, Lapierre .20

The Sharks had 7 guys with .50+ ppg averages. They were getting more from wellwood and Mitchel until they ran into us and those guys flaming out really hurt them.

The 'Ning had 8 guys at .60 ppg. Scoring from Bergenheim and Moore were big contributors to their run playing on the third line.

The top end guys are really similar when you consider our guys were completely shut down in the finals. Adding someone to play with Kesler will move the guys down and Sammy will fit in there somewhere above Hansen hopefully. Malhotra is a .40ppg player in the regular season and much worse in the playoffs.

We do get more scoring from the D than any other team.

I like Hansen on the third line. I think he's still improving offensively. I like Raymond too, but it's going to be tough for him to come into next seasons playoffs a better player with the injury he suffered. Manny is older and coming off of a serious injury.

Is the third line a problem? What should we do about it?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
The third line was by far and away our best line. Lapierre and Hansen were on the ice for a combined 3 even strength goals and 5 goals TOTAL (1n0ppga for lappy, 2n2ppga for hansen) up until the Boston series.

No, it's not a problem.

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
*disclaimer*

I am not trying to take blame away from the twins. I know they need to play better for this team to win a cup.

Scoring was a story for most of the playoffs. It ended up killing us in the finals. Getting a winger for Kesler will help and so will an improvement from the Sedins. Adding a healthy Samuelsson would be huge as well. I don't think that's enough.

If you compare our top 9 to the Bruins their depth really stands out

Bruins: Krejci .92ppg, Bergeron .87, Horton .81, Marchand .76, Ryder .68, Recchi .56, Kelly .52, Lucic .48, Peverly .48

'Nucks: H.Sedin .88ppg, D.Sedin .80, Kesler .76, Burrows .68, Hansen .36, Raymond.33, Higgins .32, Torres .30, Lapierre .20

The Sharks had 7 guys with .50+ ppg averages. They were getting more from wellwood and Mitchel until they ran into us and those guys flaming out really hurt them.

The 'Ning had 8 guys at .60 ppg. Scoring from Bergenheim and Moore were big contributors to their run playing on the third line.

The top end guys are really similar when you consider our guys were completely shut down in the finals. Adding someone to play with Kesler will move the guys down and Sammy will fit in there somewhere above Hansen hopefully. Malhotra is a .40ppg player in the regular season and much worse in the playoffs.

We do get more scoring from the D than any other team.

I like Hansen on the third line. I think he's still improving offensively. I like Raymond too, but it's going to be tough for him to come into next seasons playoffs a better player with the injury he suffered. Manny is older and coming off of a serious injury.

Is the third line a problem? What should we do about it?
Partly a problem and partly not. AV wants that line to play a containment game first and second, points are going to be lower for and against. We rely on the first 2 lines scoring and we never had that for various reasons.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote