HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heard on the radio on my way to work (Press conference tonight)

Old
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Wiz resigns 4 years, 20 million. Markov resigns, 2 years 11.5.

I know, I know. Wishful thinking on the former.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Hossa
Sundin
Jagr
Juha Lind

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
PrOuLx

Pre-draft press conference...

PrOuLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:30 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL at people looking for any excuse to take a jab at Gauthier.

His past aside, he hasn't done anything as a hab GM to merit that type of bashing. It's really laughable how around here people will look for any reason to bash JM, PG, when in reality they and even Gainey have been a big part of this teams success.

Sure mistakes were made, most GM's make a mistake here or there. Wake up, it isn't always going to be win/win or even just win.
Gainey was a very good GMs, and despite his mistakes, made anything in his power to actually make this team better. And he succeeded. Did he turn us into a contender? No. But he left the team in way better shape than the one he took on. I've always liked Gainey, even if in some situations I didn't agree with his view of things.

Gauthier now? I've hated this pick ever since day one. To me, we needed to look elsewhere. Gainey brought what he could bring to this franchise. It was time to look elsewhere, so another guy could come in and bring a whole bunch of different things to our franchise. Instead, we decided to pick a guy who hadn't been approached by any team to be a GM in 7 years, who was absolutely miserable for Anaheim (Bryan Murray did all the drafting for Anaheim, not Gauthier), and that Ottawa fans pleased themselves to call the "ghost". He doesn't look like he's got that emergency to build a contender. He wants to go there, but isn't willing to take the tougher decision it implies.

I don't like him. In fact, there aren't a whole lot of things he did so far that impressed me. Halak WAS worth at least Eller and Schultz. I don't think anybody expected anything less than this if we dealt him. Wiz was a good pickup, for one. The hirings of Auld and Boyd right on July 1st were pathetic. His decision to give roster spots to guys like Gill and Darche a whole month before free agency opens is questionnable. And I certainly think he messed up last summer. He decided to NOT be creative, keep the same lineup, instead of being creative and improving GLARING weaknesses, like the fact our offense was already abysmal back there. It still is, in fact. We've been in the bottom-5 of the league offensively for 2 years now, and here he is, signing most of the players he could have let gone to replace them by more reliable and productive players. Last summer, while he was finding excuses, teams like Boston were finding ways to improve their team. Guys we needed badly such as Andrew Ladd and Raffi Torres slipped through our fingers, for the sole reason we didn't have enough cap space, when in fact we only needed to be creative to make room for a couple of those players.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Wiz resigns 4 years, 20 million. Markov resigns, 2 years 11.5.

I know, I know. Wishful thinking on the former.
Wishful? Not so much. Not at that pricetag. Which money will you take to improve one of the 5 worst offense of the league after signing those two? And don't come and tell me "Markov will be healthy". we don't even know what's going to happen with him when he's back. For all we know, he has little chance of being back to what he was in 2008-2009 after the injuries he had.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:33 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I can't say.

But I might really just miss jags6868's enthusiasm and want him to come back posting like a mad man.
youre not the only one...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowsingForACup View Post
Gainey was a very good GMs, and despite his mistakes, made anything in his power to actually make this team better. And he succeeded. Did he turn us into a contender? No. But he left the team in way better shape than the one he took on. I've always liked Gainey, even if in some situations I didn't agree with his view of things.Gauthier now? I've hated this pick ever since day one. To me, we needed to look elsewhere. Gainey brought what he could bring to this franchise. It was time to look elsewhere, so another guy could come in and bring a whole bunch of different things to our franchise. Instead, we decided to pick a guy who hadn't been approached by any team to be a GM in 7 years, who was absolutely miserable for Anaheim (Bryan Murray did all the drafting for Anaheim, not Gauthier), and that Ottawa fans pleased themselves to call the "ghost". He doesn't look like he's got that emergency to build a contender. He wants to go there, but isn't willing to take the tougher decision it implies.

I don't like him. In fact, there aren't a whole lot of things he did so far that impressed me. Halak WAS worth at least Eller and Schultz. I don't think anybody expected anything less than this if we dealt him. Wiz was a good pickup, for one. The hirings of Auld and Boyd right on July 1st were pathetic. His decision to give roster spots to guys like Gill and Darche a whole month before free agency opens is questionnable. And I certainly think he messed up last summer. He decided to NOT be creative, keep the same lineup, instead of being creative and improving GLARING weaknesses, like the fact our offense was already abysmal back there. It still is, in fact. We've been in the bottom-5 of the league offensively for 2 years now, and here he is, signing most of the players he could have let gone to replace them by more reliable and productive players. Last summer, while he was finding excuses, teams like Boston were finding ways to improve their team. Guys we needed badly such as Andrew Ladd and Raffi Torres slipped through our fingers, for the sole reason we didn't have enough cap space, when in fact we only needed to be creative to make room for a couple of those players.
I don't want to talk against Bob Gainey, the man or the player, but as a GM I think he could not have done worst. He will be remembered for the Ribeiro trade and the Gomez trade. Two horrible trades that put us a few steps backward. All the trades here :

http://www.habswatch.com/p/trade-history.html

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
ScottFC

Lecavalier Ahhhhhhh

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I don't want to talk against Bob Gainey, the man or the player, but as a GM I think he could not have done worst. He will be remembered for the Ribeiro trade and the Gomez trade. Two horrible trades that put us a few steps backward. All the trades here :

http://www.habswatch.com/p/trade-history.html
The Gomez trade did NOT make us take a step backwards. We had to pick a center, and in the last 2 summers, none were available that could offer as much as Gomez, really.

You want to talk about Brad Richards this summer? Well we'd have had to wait for two seasons to have a sniff at him. Was it worth it? No it wasn't.

As for Ribeiro, it's well known Gauthier is the one who is behind this trade. It was widely reported back then.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Bieber fever

Richards imo

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
The Gomez trade did NOT make us take a step backwards. We had to pick a center, and in the last 2 summers, none were available that could offer as much as Gomez, really.

You want to talk about Brad Richards this summer? Well we'd have had to wait for two seasons to have a sniff at him. Was it worth it? No it wasn't.

As for Ribeiro, it's well known Gauthier is the one who is behind this trade. It was widely reported back then.
Imo, the Gomez trade was the worst trade ever right after the Roy trade. We were looking at Briere and Lecavalier and ended up with Gomez. Gomez himself in not the problem here, it's his never ending and out of proportion contract. His contract makes it very difficult to signifantly improve the team. Anyway, it's been discussed enough.

As for the Ribeiro trade, I had no clue it was Gauthier who was behind this trade. First time I hear this.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Cricket21

What time is the press conference?

Cricket21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Mag1328

It's just a standard pre-draft presser.
He might announce the signing of Markov at the same time, who knows, but this annual media availability was already scheduled.

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

Gomez - bad contract, even better waste of TOI

We gave up an up-and-coming top 4 Dman on an ELC. Suh-weet.

I just don't get how the team didn't go backwards, especially since he's replacing a far better player in Koivu who costs a lot less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Imo, the Gomez trade was the worst trade ever right after the Roy trade. We were looking at Briere and Lecavalier and ended up with Gomez. Gomez himself in not the problem here, it's his never ending and out of proportion contract. His contract makes it very difficult to signifantly improve the team. Anyway, it's been discussed enough.

As for the Ribeiro trade, I had no clue it was Gauthier who was behind this trade. First time I hear this.
Gauthier was only the one that gave a good report on Niinimaa. I'd hardly call it his mistake, though he had his role to play in it.

As for the Gomez contract, it's actually not that big a deal. The bigger problem is having a player that is completely useless for the TOI he's given, yet can't be moved because of his contract. And can't be cast aside because he's here for a while. The contract is only a part of the problem. His cap hit could be used elsewhere, but it's not like we don't have any.

Next year is when his cap hit is going to suck with our 2 best players needing big new deals.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
ThaDevilGirl

So... are the Habs trading up? Trading down? Will they pick a tall, american defensemant or a 5'8", 150 lbs center? So many questions to be answered...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post

As for the Gomez contract, it's actually not that big a deal. The bigger problem is having a player that is completely useless for the TOI he's given, yet can't be moved because of his contract. And can't be cast aside because he's here for a while. The contract is only a part of the problem. His cap hit could be used elsewhere, but it's not like we don't have any.

Next year is when his cap hit is going to suck with our 2 best players needing big new deals.
That can easily be solved.

Bury him in the minors and give Eller the 2nd line duties. I am sure Leblanc might be ready to step in for the 3rd/4th line centre role in another year.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
That can easily be solved.

Bury him in the minors and give Eller the 2nd line duties. I am sure Leblanc might be ready to step in for the 3rd/4th line centre role in another year.
Don't think the Habs would do that.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
cap10bfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
So... are the Habs trading up? Trading down? Will they pick a tall, american defensemant or a 5'8", 150 lbs center? So many questions to be answered...
i can almost guarantee that they will draft a player from minnesota!

Old
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Talent Analyst

I saw on the newspaper two or three days ago that Pierre Gauthier will hold a press conference tonight. I don't think it will be big deal.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
It's just going to their pre draft conference.
Talks with Markov are going good.
We like our team.
We have a lot of good prospects.
We are considering many young quebecois with our picks.
blah blah blah.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
wooot JAGR is coming
lol Mckenzie just tweeted that we are the mystery team that is negotiation with Jagr ..

were you his source?

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Fozz

Gauthier managed to hypnotize Snow and traded him Pouliot for the 5th overall pick?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
cap10bfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Gauthier managed to hypnotize Snow and traded him Pouliot for the 5th overall pick?
4th overall>5th overall no?

Old
06-23-2011, 11:53 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Hossa
Sundin
Jagr