HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Open-Hockey in NYC area

Old
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Open-Hockey in NYC area

Hey guys,

So im 22 yr old and I just moved into the city. I got an internship but it's not enough for me to spend $36 at Chelsea piers every week (or at least I don't want too )

Anyone know any good rinks in the area that have pick-up hockey for <=$25

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:00 PM
PuckHogs29

Where are you willing to go to it? There's some open hockey in Rockland County, NY, Westchester and in NJ. Not sure if you have a car or not though and if the gas or tolls would balance out.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Hey guys,

So im 22 yr old and I just moved into the city. I got an internship but it's not enough for me to spend $36 at Chelsea piers every week (or at least I don't want too )

I'm just starting out playing ice (so don't really know if its decent or not) but if you are willing to go out to the boroughs they have open ice at the ice rink at Flushing Meadow (http://www.worldice.com/schedules/open-hockey-schedule/) or Aviator out in Brooklyn for 20 bucks, but it seems they have open ice only once a week or so during the summer http://www.aviatorsports.com/adult-open-hockey/.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Staten Island Skating Pavilion is where I used to go a lot. Now I dont have a ride, but its about 20$ and they have a few different time slots. I used to do the midnight one, which had a decent amount of people.

Aviator was mentioned, and you know about Chelsea. If you just want to play pick up hockey and dont mind outdoor inline hockey(free), PM me and Ill give you more info.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Staten Island Skating Pavilion is where I used to go a lot. Now I dont have a ride, but its about 20$ and they have a few different time slots. I used to do the midnight one, which had a decent amount of people.

Aviator was mentioned, and you know about Chelsea. If you just want to play pick up hockey and dont mind outdoor inline hockey(free), PM me and Ill give you more info.
He would have to pay like 14 bucks for the Verrazano or take a 2 hour public transportation run because the skating pavilion is almost out by the Outerbridge.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
He would have to pay like 14 bucks for the Verrazano or take a 2 hour public transportation run because the skating pavilion is almost out by the Outerbridge.
I dont drive, so this is something I didnt know. I usually just hang out in whoever Im going with's car and dont pay attention to things like tolls.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Islander102

Chelsea's prices are ridiculous. City Ice Pavilion is close enough to the city that you can take the train, or drive over the queensboro bridge, which is free. Open hockey there is $20 or $25 depending on the time. Flushing is the nicest facility in the area, although their schedule is a bit more limited. Aviator is a nice facility, in the middle of nowhere, especially for a manhattanite, and their opens arent all that great IMO.

There are an abundance of rinks in the outer counties, Nassau, Westchester, all over NJ, but the best bang for the buck in the city is probably City Ice or World Ice

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:53 AM
night-timer

Ya, I asked this same Q a year ago RE pick-up in NYC.

Chelsea Piers is expensive and their social league season seemed to be very steep, with lots of rules.

What about Central Park? I'm sure one of the two rinks in the park does a social league, but I don't know if you have to sign up for an entire year or play at casual drop-in rates. (And, of course, the rink isn't there all year round.)

I think you'll have to pay extra to play locally, or travel just to save dollars -- weigh up the pros and cons.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:52 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
Ya, I asked this same Q a year ago RE pick-up in NYC.

Chelsea Piers is expensive and their social league season seemed to be very steep, with lots of rules.

What about Central Park? I'm sure one of the two rinks in the park does a social league, but I don't know if you have to sign up for an entire year or play at casual drop-in rates. (And, of course, the rink isn't there all year round.)

I think you'll have to pay extra to play locally, or travel just to save dollars -- weigh up the pros and cons.
the rinks in central park are only seasonal, november to march...for obvious reasons.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:43 PM
robmneilson

Go to City Ice Pavillion in LIC. They have open hockey at noon each weekday for $20.

Usually that's not very full, so often its stick and puck time or small 3x3 games.

They also have open hockey Friday and Saturday nights for $25 and there is always a good turnout.

In the winter go to lasker rink in Central Park on Saturday nights for $15 open hockey.

There's also World Ice Arena in Flushing (owned by the same guy at City Ice) and it's $25 and has a good turn out.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
$36?! Holy ****. I live in Taiwan, and I play every week for $15usd for a bit over 2 hours.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Hey guys,

Chelsea Piers has always been rediculously priced and it's not even a 90 minute session.

Do you have access to a car? Or will you rely on public transportation? That's important.

Floyd Hall Arena in NJ is the best bargain in the NYC metropolitan area.

It's like less than 10 miles west of Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel and open hockey is only $10 and has been that price since they opened in 1997. The ice is almost always excellent and the place is immaculate.

You can take a train to the rink (which is located on a college campus) from Manhattan and make the walk from the train station to the rink. But remember, if you drive, you have to pay an $8 Lincoln Tunnel toll. So train fare and/or tolls might make it more expensive defeating the purpose. I don't know your transportation situation.

They have plenty of open hockey scheduled, just check the web site.

http://www.floydhallarena.com/

Last edited by Muttley*: 06-21-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Noonansgoal

old bridge ice arena is 10 bucks for 2 hours. The rink is open from october through May.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Chelsea Piers has always been rediculously priced and it's not even a 90 minute session.

Do you have access to a car? Or will you rely on public transportation? That's important.

Floyd Hall Arena in NJ is the best bargain in the NYC metropolitan area.

It's like less than 10 miles west of Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel and open hockey is only $10 and has been that price since they opened in 1997. The ice is almost always excellent and the place is immaculate.

You can take a train to the rink (which is located on a college campus) from Manhattan and make the walk from the train station to the rink. But remember, if you drive, you have to pay an $8 Lincoln Tunnel toll. So train fare and/or tolls might make it more expensive defeating the purpose. I don't know your transportation situation.

They have plenty of open hockey scheduled, just check the web site.

http://www.floydhallarena.com/

This. My sister played on a team out of there and told me of the prices, so I plan on going a few times within the next few weeks. Also, I think she said they don't allow private lessons during open hockey. The one closest to my house...2/3s of the ice is covered by people having lessons. **** that ****.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
This. My sister played on a team out of there and told me of the prices, so I plan on going a few times within the next few weeks. Also, I think she said they don't allow private lessons during open hockey. The one closest to my house...2/3s of the ice is covered by people having lessons. **** that ****.
WHAT???

They allow people to give lessons during open hockey? Are you sure you're not talking about stick time or public skating? That's where I usually see hockey and figure skating coaching/lessons going on in the middle of everything.

Before they built City Ice in Queens & Aviator in Brooklyn, Floyd Hall Arena (and Ice House in Hackensack) would be filled with many people coming to play from the city. I used to meet up and befriend many people from Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn, but now it's much closer for them and not that much more expensive to stay in the city and play. They have more choices than 10 years ago. It was for the most part only Chelsea Piers or you had to drive out of the city or wait for outdoor rinks in the winter.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
WHAT???

They allow people to give lessons during open hockey? Are you sure you're not talking about stick time or public skating? That's where I usually see hockey and figure skating coaching/lessons going on in the middle of everything.

Before they built City Ice in Queens & Aviator in Brooklyn, Floyd Hall Arena (and Ice House in Hackensack) would be filled with many people coming to play from the city. I used to meet up and befriend many people from Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn, but now it's much closer for them and not that much more expensive to stay in the city and play. They have more choices than 10 years ago. It was for the most part only Chelsea Piers or you had to drive out of the city or wait for outdoor rinks in the winter.
You know now that you mention it, it may have been stick time.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
vivianmb

long beach arena still around?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote