HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With Byron traded does Foligno get a look at center?

Old
06-25-2011, 01:08 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
With Byron traded does Foligno get a look at center?

I know many are projecting him, like Adam, as a LW in the NHL. But with Byron traded and Adam possibly getting a look on the NHL roster. They need a center or two in Rochester next year.

What have Devine and Regier had to say about where they see him?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:11 PM
BloFan4Life

Not a fan of throwing guys into the center role when they haven't played it their whole lives. It is making them do something they are not comfortable with which just hurts their overall development IMO. If the Sabres want centers, go out and get real centers. Don't hurt a kids development by making him learn something he has never done before in a critical stage of his career.

BloFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Not a fan of throwing guys into the center role when they haven't played it their whole lives. It is making them do something they are not comfortable with which just hurts their overall development IMO. If the Sabres want centers, go out and get real centers. Don't hurt a kids development by making him learn something he has never done before in a critical stage of his career.
Foligno is a center and has played center his entire junior career. This isn't an experiment to turn him into one.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Rhett4
Murray's Four Words

Rochester is certainly the place to experiment. I'll be going to many, many games next year, so I'll report

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Foligno is a center and has played center his entire junior career. This isn't an experiment to turn him into one.
Are you sure?

I heard from somewhere (Bakes maybe?) that he struggled in the season after the draft and they put him back on wing so that he could concentrate on playing his game rather than having to focus on too many things.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
OcAirlines

I don't think so. And why are you specifically thinking about Foligno when it comes to moving a player to Center? I don't think he has too many traits that make him a perfect fit for this position, is it just his size and leadership?

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Rammstein816

While we're at it, Kassian took faceoffs for Canada at the Under 20 tournament. We should try him out as a center. I figure it's worth a shot.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

We should just trade one of our prospect defensemen for a prospect center. Something like Nick Crawford for David Ullstrom (Bridgeport).

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:36 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Are you sure?

I heard from somewhere (Bakes maybe?) that he struggled in the season after the draft and they put him back on wing so that he could concentrate on playing his game rather than having to focus on too many things.
I was under the impression it was the knee injury he suffered that caused his struggles. That he was playing great leading up to hi making the Nats. He injured his knee aft6er that time and thats when he struggled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I don't think so. And why are you specifically thinking about Foligno when it comes to moving a player to Center? I don't think he has too many traits that make him a perfect fit for this position, is it just his size and leadership?
I was under the impression he was a center for most of his time in juniors. I know they used him on LW on the Nats playing opposite Kassian. But I will defer to our juniors experts to come in and set me straight.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:41 PM
ct2111

Quote:
I was under the impression it was the knee injury he suffered that caused his struggles. That he was playing great up until that point culmanating with making the Nats.
I'm not speaking about this season, I'm speaking about the season after the draft (2009-10). I'm pretty sure he played wing this season.

Edit:
That's all I could find:
Quote:
Recently turned 19-year old Marcus Foligno will head to Sudbury Wolves training camp on Spetember 2nd to begin his first OHL season without his father Mike behind the Wolves bench. Foligno is likely to again skate alongside center John McFarland (FLA) at some point this season, but with new faces dotting the Wolves roster comes the possibility of Foligno starting as the #2 center. Much of that will shake out beginning September 10th when the Wolves open the pre-season against Barrie.
sabresprospects

Last edited by ct2111: 06-25-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 01:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm not speaking about this season, I'm speaking about the season after the draft (2009-10). I'm pretty sure he played wing this season.
I'll will defer to you that he played LW this year since I consider you one of our junior experts.

I really thought Foligno was a center in juniors. If not this past year at least prior to getting drafted and much of the year after. In other words, while he projects out as a better LW, he has played center and will they try him there in Rochester?

Old
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
ct2111

Quote:
I'll will defer to you that he played LW this year since I consider you one of our junior experts.
Not really, I try to follow the leagues as close as I can, but I don't get to watch many junior games. Most the infos I get are from second hand. Jfb or KB or Chain will clear it up.

I was always under the impression that he was a wing, but now that you brought it up, they have him listed as a center in some places.

Edit: That should clear it up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I agree with Sambo I don't think he really has the ability to be a top 6 player at the next level. But, he should at least be a solid 3/4th liner, he finishes all of his checks and has descent hands but scoring will never be his forte. He gives his all every shift and will be relied more for his physicality and defensive game. He was also playing Center last year which wasn't his natural position and this season appears much more comfortable on left wing. Also he is closer to 6'3-6'4 than he is to 6'1.

Last edited by ct2111: 06-25-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:

I really thought Foligno was a center in juniors. If not this past year at least prior to getting drafted and much of the year after. In other words, while he projects out as a better LW, he has played center and will they try him there in Rochester?
Nick Foligno was a center in juniors.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:12 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Center was already an organizational weakness before the Byron trade, I don't see it having any effect on Foligno; he will stay projected to be on the wing. Like buffaloed said, Nick played some center, Marcus was always a winger afaik.

edit: apparently Marcus did get some time at center but was much more comfortable on the wing

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Not really, I try to follow the leagues as close as I can, but I don't get to watch many junior games. Most the infos I get are from second hand. Jfb or KB or Chain will clear it up.

I was always under the impression that he was a wing, but now that you brought it up, they have him listed as a center in some places.

Edit: That should clear it up:

So he played both positions (LW/C) in juniors but is a better winger.

EDIT: I guess my question still stands though. With the dirth of centers in the organization do they take a look at him there? They've tried Ennis in the past even though he is a better winger. Wouldn't hurt anything to let him have another go at it. He is certainly a more confident and developed player now then he was the first time he tried center.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They may try him there but I'd rather they break him in on LW.

06-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Well, going along with my opinion on Adam, if they think he has a chance to play center at the NHL level then give him a shot for the Amerks. What I would be concerned about is stunting his development. If he's less comfortable as a center, then he may only develop into say, a 4th line center instead of a 3rd line winger and I'm not sure the payoff would be worth it. It all depends, obviously, on their developmental program for Foligno and how he responds to it.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote