HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter traded to Columbus for Voracek, 1st, + 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 09:27 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
this makes our deal look a lot worse than it did twenty minutes ago
I disagree. Carter and Richards are very different players.

Carter has unworldly skill and is big and fast. He's sound defensively, but not a Selke candidate. Carter can be a consistent 80-90 point guy.

Richards is all heart, has good offensive skills and is a great defensive center. Richards is more like a 65-80 point guy who can also be a shut down, Selke candidate. He is also actually small, like 5'11" 195 lbs. He just plays big.

There's a reason the Flyers picked Carter about 10 slots ahead of Richards- more talent.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan93 View Post
This is from Lori Schmidt: "Philadelphia Inquirer: "(Jeff) Carter said he would need at least the weekend to gather his thoughts before addressing the trade publicly"

http://twitter.com/#!/LoriSchmidt
Not. Good.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
True about Carter (not sure I agree about Vermette, but np). Just laying out some stuff I was thinking about moving forward.
Just layin' out some thoughts inspired by your thoughts, m'moderator

I've thought that about Vermette since his Ottawa days. I still hold he's better at wing than center. He could still take faceoffs on the wing, which is really the strongest part of his role as center.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Anybody else watch the Arniel and Howson interviews on the Jackets website? Arniel was grinning while discussing the trade. (I'm going to watch the Howson one whenever it loads - don't know why but their videos are always hard to watch on the home computer.)

Old
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Not. Good.
Gives our guys more time to get in touch with him and woo him, at least, and he's now less likely to say something that would hurt our fanbase's feelings. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes his thoughts known about Philly, after his weekend.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
punk_o_holic

I don't blame Carter for being upset. I don't think he's upset because he is went from Philly to Columbus but more of just being traded in general. The guys on TSN made some good points. They said the trade of Richards/Carter is a slap in the face for both of them. Last year they lead them to the Cup finals and now are telling them, we don't need you two anymore. Both signed long term to stay in Philly. Carter just signed a 11 year contract this season thinking that he was going to be with them for life(got the NTC but doesn't come into effect until July 1,2012). Like the guys said, if you don't have a NTC, even if you think your important to the team, if the team thinks otherwise, they will trade you. If Howson wants to go after a UFA defensemen, a NTC must be included imo.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:36 PM
TSA0402

Of course Carter is disappointed. He signed a lifetime contract intending to play with the Flyers. You expected him to take it well?

Vermette wasn't exactly happy about being shipped over and look what happened there.

He'll get over it eventually and most likely be quite motivated.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post

I've thought that about Vermette since his Ottawa days. I still hold he's better at wing than center. He could still take faceoffs on the wing, which is really the strongest part of his role as center.
I don't know if I'd say he is a better winger now because of layoff, but he is a more than capable winger. He was 3rd line wing for Chris Kelly for as long as I can remember in Ottawa.

Old
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Of course Carter is disappointed. He signed a lifetime contract intending to play with the Flyers. You expected him to take it well?

Vermette wasn't exactly happy about being shipped over and look what happened there.

Neither was RJ. He was also, as I recall, quite upset about being traded. As you said, look how that turned out. I'm not worried. If Carter suddenly starts talking to Nabokov 24/7, then I'll start to be concerned.

Old
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

I was unaware Vermette was unhappy. I remember Leclaire seemed pretty happy at the time.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:42 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Gives our guys more time to get in touch with him and woo him, at least, and he's now less likely to say something that would hurt our fanbase's feelings. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes his thoughts known about Philly, after his weekend.
....Or it gives him a few days to either Eat himself out of shape or have an "accident" so he will fail a physical, voiding the trade....

In all seriousness, yeah, this is a shock, but this guy is a professional athlete, I can understand the emotions of the moment, but I'm a bit leery about a guy that says he a few days before he can address a trade, yes, he is a great player, but he is not a "superstar". I know the two don't have much in common, but Guy Boucher did take a weekend to mull Howson's offer to coach here.

Color me Jaded, but this worries me for no other reason than the history of our franchise isn't only colored with high marks and success.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Not. Good.
Don't hit the panic button yet. These guys are professionals first, Carter will be here for camp. He's no Eric Lindros.

He's also human - this is a shock to him. Imagine your work telling you that you were getting transferred to Corpus Christi or something... you would be in shock for a few days, but you still have bills to pay.

Give him time, watch him shine.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:44 PM
EDM

Geesh, some people say I am negative..... But seriously, Howson has just pulled off the greatest trade in CBJ history and there are people sad about losing Voracek's "potential" and predicting doom for our defense a week before the UFA signing period even starts. I guess some people are able to find a cloud in front of every silver lining. But, for me, this is the greatest moment we have had since drafting Nash. It signals that finally, the front office is serious about building a winner. Hallelujah, Hallelujah.

I think another move or two tradewise are still coming. One of our other centers is probably on the move I think the easiest trade partner could be Chicago if we will take Campbell's contract. Then we would need only one D-man from the UFA pool.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Cujorulesdtown9
More #BluePants

Incredibly happy with this trade, Carter might not be a "set up man" but him and Nash should have no trouble finding each other on the ice, not bad having two huge scoring threats on the first line!

Old
06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I was unaware Vermette was unhappy. I remember Leclaire seemed pretty happy at the time.
Yea I remember the TSN interview quite well. Vermette was quite sad about leaving Ottawa and his friends. I don't imagine Carter is taking it much worse.

Pascal was like a kid in a candy store it was quite funny actually. Was hoping it would work out. He played quite well last year not counting the injuries. Some team is going to get a bargain.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Yea I remember the TSN interview quite well. Vermette was quite sad about leaving Ottawa and his friends. I don't imagine Carter is taking it much worse.

Pascal was like a kid in a candy store it was quite funny actually. Was hoping it would work out. He played quite well last year not counting the injuries. Some team is going to get a bargain.
LOL Pascal Leclaire

Old
06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Potentially Jay Bouwmeester..
If you want him you can have him. Maybe throw in a 2nd and Commodore, we'll be happy to take him off your hands.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
LOL Pascal Leclaire
Is there a more uglier son of a ***** than Pascal LeClaire??

Old
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Alberta Oilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
In exchange for what?
Nothing that would probably interest you, I mean if you guys trade one of umberger or vermette for D I'm sure you will need to keep Pahlsson. But if Howson needs a salary dump type move for pahlsson tell him to give us a call

Old
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

And in my foolishness, I failed to consider Juice as a top 6 winger. Perhaps I was already trading him for Kuba...

Nash, Umberger, Huselius = 3 top 6 wings

In your scenario where Carter or Vermette (still not in favor) playes wing it just might work!

Old
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Neither was RJ. He was also, as I recall, quite upset about being traded. As you said, look how that turned out. I'm not worried. If Carter suddenly starts talking to Nabokov 24/7, then I'll start to be concerned.
There is a miniscule possibility of that happening and Scott Howson should realize that, but it shouldn't come to that. Carter will get over it.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
And in my foolishness, I failed to consider Juice as a top 6 winger. Perhaps I was already trading him for Kuba...
Huh. You aren't the only one. It's like when I kept forgetting Modin was on--or ever on--the team. The nemesis of my Sporcle quizzes.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

Quote:
As a SoCal resident, I'm definitely glad you guys got Richards, if it wasn't going to be us.

Actually, I'm wounded. Send Doughty to make me feel better. And Heidi.
Seconded.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I posted some of this in the Umberger thread, but as I think about it, I want to put this forward to those who are disappointed the Jackets didn't get Mike Richards instead.

The Dispatch ran a story this past season quoting Umberger saying Howson had consulted him about several trades. I have to imagine that since the Jackets and Flyers have been talking about Carter since January, that was one of the areas they discussed. Considering there were also rumors there were discussions between the Jackets and Flyers about Mike Richards, and then Richie was traded almost simultaneously, did Howson have his choice and Umberger gave his opinion?

Considering the amount of time these teams have been talking about this deal, and the fact that the Carter to CBJ deal was done BEFORE the Richards to Kings deal, I'd almost bet Homer gave Howson his choice.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I posted some of this in the Umberger thread, but as I think about it, I want to put this forward to those who are disappointed the Jackets didn't get Mike Richards instead.

The Dispatch ran a story this past season quoting Umberger saying Howson had consulted him about several trades. I have to imagine that since the Jackets and Flyers have been talking about Carter since January, that was one of the areas they discussed. Considering there were also rumors there were discussions between the Jackets and Flyers about Mike Richards, and then Richie was traded almost simultaneously, did Howson have his choice and Umberger gave his opinion?

Considering the amount of time these teams have been talking about this deal, and the fact that the Carter to CBJ deal was done BEFORE the Richards to Kings deal, I'd almost bet Homer gave Howson his choice.
And to get Richards, GMSH probably had to give up Johansen instead of Voracek. I'm glad he kept The Johan.

Closed Thread