HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter traded to Columbus for Voracek, 1st, + 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 04:02 PM
leesmith
Still in.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm sorry, I just can't get excited about this deal. Not right now.

Remember the Tyutin trade at the time it happened? That's the feeling I have right now. Like we went after the wrong thing and created a major hole to do it.

Granted, that time the hole was plugged almost immediately afterwards with the Huselius signing. And in the end it turned out awesome for us. And I suppose we can probably pull in a free agent or two this way. But right now, I'm not in a celebratory mood. Not at all.

Right now, I'm worried. I'm very very worried. And I really, really, really hope this works out.
Wing is not a major hole. Lack of a #1 center, now THAT is a major hole. One that is hopefully filled. There are LOTS of wingers out there.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:02 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
My enthusiasm has been slightly curbed by LA getting a better deal for a better player then we got.

Homer is obviously not mentally fit to be a GM. Howson should have tried to get more out of him.
You have to wonder at least, if Richards would've been a better fit for Columbus, given the chemistry Richards+Nash showed at the Olympics..

Old
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

No worries, our LOFT just got a bump in the right direction.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
JacketsFanWest

Good luck, Jake. And goodbye dream of Gabriel Landeskog or Adam Larsson somehow dropping to Columbus' 8th pick.

I hope the trade works out, but I'm guessing Jake + MZ or Ryan Murphy or some top 5 pick who drops is going to end up having a bigger impact for the Flyers. But not for several years.

I see this trade as being more about Howson instilling confidence that he's going to make the moves to make the team better for the fanbase (and free agents who might be considering signing).

I'm not convinced that Carter is the #1 center that the Jackets need or that he's got the right type of attitude.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
blahblah

Great news to hear while waiting in ny for my plane back to columbus. Like the move and don't care we didn't get Richards. We are finally an NHL team up the middle. I'm happy so far. Let's see what else he can do. I'll post more comments when not on my iPad.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:09 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Wing is not a major hole. Lack of a #1 center, now THAT is a major hole. One that is hopefully filled. There are LOTS of wingers out there.
Thing is that the defense is still horrible and nobody knows about goaltending. 8th overall would have helped, no winger on CBJ can replace Voracek. Getting Carter is great, but CBJ has Johansen which is a much safer bet to pan out than Savard, Moore.

Didnt expect this trade to happen, the question is what does Howson do now.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Top-pairing defense is a major hole. Power-play quarterback is a major hole. A second top-3 wing is a major hole. I recognize I'm probably the only one here who doesn't think putting Brassard and Vermette (who are capable #2Cs) in as wingers is a good idea, but frankly they've kind of proven they're not as good at it.

No #1C was our biggest hole for the first nine years. We had a serviceable forward corps; we desperately needed blueline skill. We now have another star to act as a distraction while Nash boosts his stats, but the blueline is just as god-awful as ever.

No, sorry. I'm still extremely worried.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-23-2011, 04:12 PM
5StringBuzz

I'm happy with this trade. Wouldn't be surprised to see another move with maybe Pahlsson going elsewhere in a package for D help or a winger.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:12 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Now Erhoff gets McConnell's blank checkbook instead of Richards..

Old
06-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I see this trade as being more about Howson instilling confidence that he's going to make the moves to make the team better for the fanbase (and free agents who might be considering signing).

I'm not convinced that Carter is the #1 center that the Jackets need or that he's got the right type of attitude.
This, right here, is precisely why I'm worried. The Scott Howson I know and respect does not make moves based on team marketing. That's MacLean's style.

I'm not panicking quite yet 'cause I've got enough faith in the guy to believe he knows what he's doing. And I'm glad that people are likely to finally ST#U about "omg he can't do anything to improve the team" for the next several months or so; that'll make my summer less stressful. But I'm still worried.

Then again, if we pick up another defenseman within the next two weeks or so, I guess I'll be able to relax. Maybe.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
No worries, our LOFT just got a bump in the right direction.
Don't even go there. "LOFT" is absolutely worthless meaningless garbage that makes Corsi look valuable and useful. It's as much an angsty excuse as "conditioning". It's the final proof that Light The Lamp has gone straight downhill.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Kutter

I really like the move. Finally something gutsy.

This will help a lot next year and hopefully help them get over the playoff hump. Having Brassard on the second line is great and may help his numbers not having to be playing against other #1's. Johansen can be eased into things and doesn't now need to be rushed.

I'm still hoping for some free agent activity and some help on D. Signing Upshall would be still be a solid move too as long as the terms aren't too ridiculous.

Old
LetsGOJackets!!

You & me Hip check

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
There have only been a few times in the history of CBJ that I've been this happy and excited. I'm in disbelief! I know there are a few other big Jeff Carter fans here, but I'd find it hard to believe that any could match my man crush on this guy. I'm at such a high right now I won't say anything bad about Howson ever again. (Ok at least for a long while.)
Jeff Carter is a freaking monster, this trade is beyond anything i could have imagined. In my opinion we go balls out for an offensive dman & land a great one, because the 1st line/ power play/ just made everyone else on the team better, and Nash better by 50% or more. 3rd liners will finally play the 3rd line in Columbus Ohio.

Unbelievable, really unbelievable. Good on ya Scottie!

Old
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Don't even go there. "LOFT" is absolutely worthless meaningless garbage that makes Corsi look valuable and useful. It's as much an angsty excuse as "conditioning". It's the final proof that Light The Lamp has gone straight downhill.
Look at it like this, WE JUST GOT BETTER.

Old
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Well, I had no internet and Todd Richards was hired.

I go to the beach today, and The Big One goes down.

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

In other news, I'm not getting on the computer the rest of my vacation. GMSH will make wholesale changes and we'll get Brent Burns!

Old
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Top-pairing defense is a major hole. Power-play quarterback is a major hole. A second top-3 wing is a major hole. I recognize I'm probably the only one here who doesn't think putting Brassard and Vermette (who are capable #2Cs) in as wingers is a good idea, but frankly they've kind of proven they're not as good at it.

No #1C was our biggest hole for the first nine years. We had a serviceable forward corps; we desperately needed blueline skill. We now have another star to act as a distraction while Nash boosts his stats, but the blueline is just as god-awful as ever.

No, sorry. I'm still extremely worried.
Signing d-men via ufa is arguably easier to do this off season than a #1 center. On top of that with Carter we can afford to lose a Brassard or Vermette now if a trade for a defenseman can be made. Howson has all summer to work out the defense. Its not like its October and we used our last bullet and have no salary left. God what is wrong with this? I'm on the side of Howson and Viqsi needs reassuring??? This isn't right.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Look at it like this, WE JUST GOT BETTER.
I'm not yet convinced we did. Carter's stats for the last two years are comparable to that of Vermette's the year before last.

I'm certain we got a name that will make people think we have a better team. I have some hope that Carter's reputation will help Nash's production I am equally certain, though, that by doing this we have downgraded in other crucial areas and have cut our options short in other areas of absolutely dire need. Barring a trade for someone like Campbell or Bouwmeester (read: an overpaid top-pairing guy), we just became utterly dependent on free agency going very much in our favor, and my boy Howson's historical weakness is free agency contracts.

This move alone does not make us a better team. And I'm worried about what may follow.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:23 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom720 View Post
as a hockey fan in ohio, though not a Jackets fan (but supporter), ill certainly be going to more games this year. great trade!
this is the biggest part of the trade... far bigger than the x's and o's... people are talking about the columbus blue jackets

Old
06-23-2011, 04:35 PM
JacketsFanWest

Anyone know if Carter and Nash have played on a line together before? Maybe for Canadian National teams?

Just wondered if they have any past history.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
this is the biggest part of the trade... far bigger than the x's and o's... people are talking about the columbus blue jackets
...yeah, there's a statement calculated to reassure me.

How much talk around the league did we get when we traded for Sergei Fedorov? Moves made only for marketing are Bad Juju.

This could work out. There ought to be more coming. There should be, according to Howson's history with a trade like this. But I'm still spooked.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:42 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Thing is that the defense is still horrible and nobody knows about goaltending. 8th overall would have helped, no winger on CBJ can replace Voracek. Getting Carter is great, but CBJ has Johansen which is a much safer bet to pan out than Savard, Moore.

8th overall in THIS draft wouldn't have helped at all for at least another two years. Way more opportunities to improve the blueline in free agency than for a #1 center.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:

You know they are allowed more than one move, right?

Old
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 15000
As much as I will miss Voracek, I think this is an awesome deal for the CBJ.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

This post certainly points out potential issues:

Quote:
This, right here, is precisely why I'm worried. The Scott Howson I know and respect does not make moves based on team marketing. That's MacLean's style.

I'm not panicking quite yet 'cause I've got enough faith in the guy to believe he knows what he's doing. And I'm glad that people are likely to finally ST#U about "omg he can't do anything to improve the team" for the next several months or so; that'll make my summer less stressful. But I'm still worried.

Then again, if we pick up another defenseman within the next two weeks or so, I guess I'll be able to relax. Maybe.
I see your concerns Viqsi, but you have to at least acknowledge that a first line of Nash Carter Juice/Filatov/Vermette makes our offensive lineup more potent and puts players on lines where their skill sets work better:

If you agree with the above you have to also acknowledge that Columbus just became a possible home for any of the fa offensive dmen that otherwise would not have even given Columbus a sniff. You are worried that Howson resorted to a desperate act., I was worried that he might not do enough to save our franchise. His trading for Carter makes me more sure that he will be able to shore up the defense.

As to your worry about goaltender, well we can both pray on that.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
no winger on CBJ can replace Voracek.
Geez, you're right. How will we replace 12 goals?

Closed Thread