HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter traded to Columbus for Voracek, 1st, + 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 04:47 PM
wahsnairb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
...yeah, there's a statement calculated to reassure me.

How much talk around the league did we get when we traded for Sergei Fedorov? Moves made only for marketing are Bad Juju.

This could work out. There ought to be more coming. There should be, according to Howson's history with a trade like this. But I'm still spooked.
i am with you that this move didn't do enough to fix our problems, but i think that it puts us in a position to make plenty of other offers and attack free agents we may not have had a chance at with a need at center (had it not been addressed with this trade). center wasn't our biggest need, but it was a need, and now that our center depth looks like it does now, we can focus on improving elsewhere for the remainder of the off-season instead of needing upgrades at every position.

the move may not have been a perfect hockey fit, but it was the right move to make if solely for the fact that, like i said, people are talking about the jackets.. oh, and we got jeff carter.

you also may not be considering that players (like an upshall or a winger who wants to potentially play with nash/carter or even a d who sees an organization trying to win now) might enjoy playing columbus a little bit more now.. never a bad thing.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
Signing d-men via ufa is arguably easier to do this off season than a #1 center.
That misses the point. We had two #1 fill-in guys (one of whom could end up stepping up and taking the role on a permanent basis) AND the best #1C prospect in hockey already in the system. And we just sent our most valuable trade assets off for a player who is at best a modest upgrade on what we've presently got.

And our THREE best winger prospects - Filatov, Kubalik, and Atkinson - are all finishers. No playmakers. None at all. Calvert is the closest we have to a playmaking wing, followed modestly by Filatov. Our only such prospect who's actually good at it is Johansen. The only top-6 playmaking wings on our roster are Huselius - who had an injury-filled season of misery last year - and Nash's underrated passing.

We're now in a situation where we badly need folks who can create space and pass the puck. That's something a decent blueline can provide. But we don't have a decent blueline, and we just sent our best trade assets away.

If we can fix the blueline after this - and/or if someone like Savard or Moore, or perhaps even Russell or Clitsome, can step up earlier than planned - we're freaking immortal. If we pick up someone like Campbell, you'll see one heck of a celebration from me. But that's a big if, especially since we are far from the only team that needs blueline skill.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

The board is crashing.

Viqsi, we all know that the D needs upgraded, also that for this team to be competitive next season, Howson must by trade or FA signing do just that on the defensiveside of things.

A journey of a thousand miles beginds with the first step. Howson is batting .1000 right now, lets see if he can keep it going before the puck drops October 7, against Nashville. I know that Howson will try to sign an Ehrhoff or trade for a Bouwmeester. If for some reason he can't get guys that can step in and contribute, then I will get antsy and bent out of shape. Till then, I'm still grinning ear to ear, and will continue for a few days.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:56 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Don't even go there. "LOFT" is absolutely worthless meaningless garbage that makes Corsi look valuable and useful. It's as much an angsty excuse as "conditioning". It's the final proof that Light The Lamp has gone straight downhill.
Calm down.

Step away from the computer.

Breathe deeply.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
8th overall in THIS draft wouldn't have helped at all for at least another two years. Way more opportunities to improve the blueline in free agency than for a #1 center.
How do you know Ryan Murphy wouldnt help. Its likely he wouldnt but there are examples of top 10 picks making an impact first year, especially with his skillset. Cam Fowler anyone....

I was going to write and mention that getting Carter could possibly help getting d-men in free agency but... that is not a certainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
You know they are allowed more than one move, right?
a) CBJ doesnt have a history in raking in top defensive Free Agents, then again I dont imagine snagging Carter is a common occurance. Howson took advantage of an insane GM although he didnt exactly underpay either. Its going to take a few solid moves to solidify this defence. Now the room for error is basically nil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
Geez, you're right. How will we replace 12 goals?
If you see Voracek as 12 goals, then I really dont know what to say. I dont think I could get away with this one on HF.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
cbj21

Voracek will be missed but this is a great move. Very exciting for next season )

Good luck in Philly Voracek !!

Old
06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

So will d-man who are free agents wanna come to Columbus without much overpayment

Old
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Calm down.

Step away from the computer.

Breathe deeply.
I could walk away from the computer for two weeks, come back to see we've picked up Ryan Suter and Nick Lidstrom and successfully offersheeted Jake back, and my opinion on that garbage hack idea would remain exactly the same and my response exactly the same to anybody who ever mentions it.

"LOFT" is still garbage. It was garbage when he introduced it, it continues to be garbage now, and it will still be garbage when he discards it for his next dumbass gimmick. I'm frankly worried about the state of DBJ as a blog because he's also picked it up, and I've winced every time it's even obliquely referred to for the last month and a half.

The only thing my current state of mind affects is how outspoken I'm willing to be about it. That's the first time someone actually brought it up here that I've seen. It's crap, and anyone making any argument based on it in any form is making a crap argument.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Viqsi negative and me positive?? never would've guessed that'd happen

Old
06-23-2011, 05:03 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
If you see Voracek as 12 goals, then I really dont know what to say. I dont think I could get away with this one on HF.
Oh, my Bad! I just double checked. 14 goals. Whoops! Yeah, we'll definitely miss every one of those. Kinda like his shots missed every single net he aimed at. Yeah, he had some assists, but, so would you if you were on a line with Nash. Players who (regularly!) go missing for 5 weeks at a time don't need to have a home here.

Now, maybe he turns it around, and maybe he puts it all together in Philly. But in his time in Columbus , Jake Voracek will go down as one of the most over-rated (by fans) players to ever play here.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:03 PM
CBJCougar

I see Viqsi's concerns and agree but you have to seriously consider the opportunity at hand. Carter is one of those players that you have to go after when they are available and I think the deal is pretty solid, perhaps a career move by Howson. I don't think he's done yet...and that's saying a lot because I'm not a big fan of his, but I will give credit where it's due. I think it was a step in the right direction.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Good deal! All good for Kubo in Philly.

IMO Brassard will be traded for a d-man.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
jacketsinDC

i think this was a good move- having brassard, pahlsson, johansen, vermette, and mackenzie to fill 3 center spots means we can trade to fix some of the other deficiencies. obviously when your team performs like cbj did last year you can't fix all your problems with one player, so its easy to point out all the remaining holes, but its a huge step.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
JacketsFanWest

Brassard tweeted on 6/21 that he was having lunch with Jake who was in town training (I believe Brass is in Canada).

He posted a picture, and Jake's has a normal haircut. http://yfrog.com/klcighj

Training over the summer, haircut that my dad would approve of. Jake's growing up.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm a big fan of this deal, and this gives the Jackets some options to make another move for a d-man.

The Pens fan in me is happy that I won't have to see Carter (or Richards, lol) suit up for Philly anymore. It'll be weird rooting for Carter. But I'm happy for the Jackets, and you guys.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
FANonymous

What is this feeling? My optimism was rewarded instead of crushed into a dark paste and forced down my throat while others looked on and laughed?

I don't know what to do...

Old
06-23-2011, 05:09 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
That misses the point. We had two #1 fill-in guys (one of whom could end up stepping up and taking the role on a permanent basis) AND the best #1C prospect in hockey already in the system. And we just sent our most valuable trade assets off for a player who is at best a modest upgrade on what we've presently got.

And our THREE best winger prospects - Filatov, Kubalik, and Atkinson - are all finishers. No playmakers. None at all. Calvert is the closest we have to a playmaking wing, followed modestly by Filatov. Our only such prospect who's actually good at it is Johansen. The only top-6 playmaking wings on our roster are Huselius - who had an injury-filled season of misery last year - and Nash's underrated passing.

We're now in a situation where we badly need folks who can create space and pass the puck. That's something a decent blueline can provide. But we don't have a decent blueline, and we just sent our best trade assets away.

If we can fix the blueline after this - and/or if someone like Savard or Moore, or perhaps even Russell or Clitsome, can step up earlier than planned - we're freaking immortal. If we pick up someone like Campbell, you'll see one heck of a celebration from me. But that's a big if, especially since we are far from the only team that needs blueline skill.
Mistake. Filatov can be playmaker he has better passes and ice-vision than Kubo. i would put him to them why not? Both, Carter and Nash are great players we cannot destroy anything. A fire-hydrant could play with them

Old
06-23-2011, 05:09 PM
alphafox

Wow faith restored

I love this trade, never thought it would happen. One of the major holes plugged for years to come and a big plus for the organization.

This slots everyone into their proper spots for the forwards and lets Johan develop either on the fourth line or in the minors. Additionally for the future this if Johan becomes the legit #1 playmaker he appears poised to become we have maybe the best 1,2,3 lines in the league this side of pittsburgh. Also though many loved Jake he seemed to have regressed and likely wasn't going to get better here. Additionally, the loss of the picks is not that big of a deal IMO because look at all the misses we have had over our history plus the fact that we have no scouting.

Also this carter trade gives us a legit shot at D-men in the UFA because THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY WANT TO COME HERE with team that has some offense and looks like they are only going to get better (i.e. Johan, Moore, Savard, Atkinson). Also we can still trade talent and and pieces to trade in a package (i.e. phallson + prospect) for a Dman.

This is a great trade not just for the talent increase now, but also for the future of the organization as a contender. I have been afraid that Howson was to cautious to make a move like this, however he pulled the trigger on a deal that will allow us to become a contender in the next years while not becoming a team that relies on trades and Free Agent overpayment. Congratulations Scott Howson and Welcome Jeff Carter!!!!!!!

Old
06-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Geez, you're right. How will we replace 12 goals?
Remember how Nash will, when his linemates are off, try to take on three defensemen at once just to try to score a goal?

Now, would you like to have an offense that consists of everybody doing that all the damned time? That's what happens when you don't have anyone who can pass and/or make plays. You can't just stock up on finishers and think you've got a complete offense. Hockey doesn't work that way.

Jake's skillset was a necessary one, despite his maddening tendency to miss open nets last year. It needs to be replaced. And we don't have anyone in the system or on the roster - except Johansen - who can.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:11 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
I could walk away from the computer for two weeks, come back to see we've picked up Ryan Suter and Nick Lidstrom and successfully offersheeted Jake back, and my opinion on that garbage hack idea would remain exactly the same and my response exactly the same to anybody who ever mentions it.

"LOFT" is still garbage. It was garbage when he introduced it, it continues to be garbage now, and it will still be garbage when he discards it for his next dumbass gimmick. I'm frankly worried about the state of DBJ as a blog because he's also picked it up, and I've winced every time it's even obliquely referred to for the last month and a half.

The only thing my current state of mind affects is how outspoken I'm willing to be about it. That's the first time someone actually brought it up here that I've seen. It's crap, and anyone making any argument based on it in any form is making a crap argument.
I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just commenting on the seeming lather you've worked yourself into the last 2 hours, where every post is a potential heart attack LOL

I'm just watchin out fer my gal

Old
06-23-2011, 05:12 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Not a fan of the trade for you guys, but I am if Carter returns to being a point per game player. Hope he is awesome with Nash

Old
06-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just commenting on the seeming lather you've worked yourself into the last 2 hours, where every post is a potential heart attack LOL

I'm just watchin out fer my gal
Does it help if I tell you I'm trying to get it out of my system before I get into the car and drive for half an hour to get back home?

Old
06-23-2011, 05:20 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Does it help if I tell you I'm trying to get it out of my system before I get into the car and drive for half an hour to get back home?
Yeah, I guess internet rage is less apt to end in gunshots/broken bones vs road rage.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:21 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Right on FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
What is this feeling? My optimism was rewarded instead of crushed into a dark paste and forced down my throat while others looked on and laughed?

I don't know what to do...
I honestly can't remember being this happy about a CBJ move. Getting Carter to play with Nash adds so much more to the untapped potential. Brass or Vermette can play 2 or 3, Johanson can play with the big club and not be hung out to dry. Paulson if kept will drive people crazy as a 4th line centre.

We didn't find a potential 1st line Centre like when we drafted Vermette and Sen fans said he can't play 1st line, we got arguably one of top 10 centremen in the game.. and finally acquired the complement that Nash has been waiting for.

do you remember seeing Sanderson and Cassels play for Hartford (the sum was far better than the individual parts)

Old
06-23-2011, 05:21 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

FILL IN THE BLANK ANNOUNCEMENT SCANDAL or FREUDIAN SLIP?

Quote:
Portzline Puck Rakers: The Blue Jackets have acquired center Jeff Carter from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for right winger Jake Voracek, a first-round pick and a third-round pick, The Dispatch has learned.

Carter is the type of proven center the Jackets have longed for since they joined the NHL in 2000-01. An Eastern Conference All-Star in 2009, Richards has scored 115 goals the last three seasons and will likely pair with Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash.
Sure they change it when they realize their cover is blown.

I knew this trade was going to happen because I bought a Voracek jersey this past year.

Closed Thread