HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Reports Flyers Trade Carter to CBJ, Richards to LAK; Sign Bryzgalov for 9 years

Old
06-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Gatorade*

vCash: 500
I actually like these deals for Philly. They now have an upper echelon goalie and still lots of skill up front. Maybe not the pure goal scoring that Carter had but he was injured a lot as well. Richard's intangibles will be what they miss the most.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I wonder what Sather would have given up for Richards or Carter?

Over pay within the division... but the return the Flyers got...

?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:41 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

philly without carter and richards is weaker next season imo. with or without bryz.

im really glad we dont have to play the kings though. that team is filthy. they were already pretty solid, but adding a guy like richards is money.

im sensing a legit cup run for la this year.

im jealous of that team right now. dustin brown, kopitar and now richards. opens up a spot for loktionov too. hes gonna be a good one.

richards is only 26 and already a stud in his prime.

the kings doin it right. using prospects- who have legit value and picks to acquire a huge difference maker in his prime- with a decent contract too boot, to make a cup run.

slats needs to have dinner with lombardi and ask him for some tips.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:42 PM
TreeSapLlama

As far as value goes, i think these would be close

Carter for Voracek + 8th overall would be roughly equivalent to Dubinsky/Cally + Mcilrath + our 1st this year.

Richards for Schenn, Simmonds, 2nd would probably be Kreider + Dubinsky/Cally + 1st

I don't know if i would do either. *edit* these are obviously not balanced for divisional overpayment, just for general value

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:43 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Philly wouldn't have traded either of them to us unless we crazy overpaid.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Philly wouldn't have traded either of them to us unless we crazy overpaid.
I agree, neither of them would be traded within the division.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
As far as value goes, i think these would be close

Carter for Voracek + 8th overall would be roughly equivalent to Dubinsky/Cally + Mcilrath + our 1st this year.

Richards for Schenn, Simmonds, 2nd would probably be Kreider + Dubinsky/Cally + 1st

I don't know if i would do either. *edit* these are obviously not balanced for divisional overpayment, just for general value

Dubi + Cally + 1st for Mike Richards ?

ouch

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

ouch
One or the other, not both. Probably both if we ACTUALLY wanted to get them.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

ouch
Considering they're trying to cut salary, they'd make us take on another contract to do that deal.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:25 PM
bouds

Richards is overrated as ****, I'd dump his ass too.

bouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:57 PM
JimmyStart*

By the time those picks and prospects are ready the older D corps they have now will be retired and deteriorating. Brzy in 2 or 3 years may also be on the decline and be a burden of a contract. I think they took a giant leap backwards with these trades but I guess they felt the burden of Carter's heavy contract and felt he wouldn't perform up to it most years and to get a top prospect and a good third liner for Richards was a very good deal for them. Can't really imagine they free'd up space from Mike only to go take a bigger risk in brad. They'll have to make many more moves imo to get back to where they were.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I actually like these deals for Philly. They now have an upper echelon goalie and still lots of skill up front. Maybe not the pure goal scoring that Carter had but he was injured a lot as well. Richard's intangibles will be what they miss the most.
Lots of inexperience up front with these young guys. No matter how much potential these young players they acquired may have, that is no replacement for experience. Any team going up against the Flyers in the coming years needs to play physical and rough these guys up. Get in their heads and make it really difficult for them to find their way around the ice... I could see the Bruins having a big advantage over the Flyer's roster with the way they approach the game, particularly in the post-season. Also a question mark is how these players will mesh.

Hopefully, by the time these younger players find their footing, Pronger has declined into a geriatric and Timonen is long gone (2 years left on his deal).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:54 PM
satrabyk

Im willing to bet Philly will be very good next season, the way JVR looked in the playoffs, Giroux devl, Pronger healthy and getting his way, Schenn potentiall breaking through, not to mention a goalie now keeping them in every game, they are going to be good lets worry about our own team.

Plus i hear about Richard intangibles well he was rumored to have problems with coaching, attitude etc, does not sound like an great intangibles to me.

Last edited by satrabyk: 06-23-2011 at 10:59 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Philly will be good, but they are not a better team today then they were yesterday. And it's a noticeable drop-off.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Simmonds and Schenn are both very pysical players. Simmonds is pretty much Chris Neil with offensive skills.

And Parise is physical. Don't know why you'd even mention Gionta in the same stratosphere as Zach.
A few big hits on 18 year old Austrians during the WJC doesn't make Schenn physical. He plays with an edge, that's far from very physical. He won't be banging bodies like Simmonds in the NHL.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
RangersChamps2417

Love the Carter trade. Hate the Richards trade (just from a hockey standpoint). Though I despise the Flyers and am glad to see them both go, I just don't understand why the Flyers would trade the face of their franchise for two unproven players. It's mind boggling. I've always respected Richards, and am really taken aback by the news. However, Carter is garbage IMO

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Brayden Schenn will outscore Richards in 2 years. Book it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:58 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Brayden Schenn will outscore Richards in 2 years. Book it.
Id easily take that bet. I will go on the record as saying I don't think Schenn will ever be better then Mike Richards for the next 10 years (overall game). This is not a scathing report of Schenn, but some people are making Richards out to be a turd.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
3Four3

Right now, I feel like this guy:

If only now Pittsburgh trades Malkin for scraps from Edmonton....

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
If anything Wayne Simmonds is the one that's overrated. He had one or two scoring streaks awhile back and everyone all of a sudden were certain he's a top 6 guy or at least potentially one. He fell to the 4th line in LA last season.

Even if Simmonds is a potential top 6er, though, this solidifies that Schenn is thought highly of by at least the Flyers...It's Mike Richards, not some bum.
Simmonds put up 40 points as a sophomore in the NHL. Is it that outlandish that he can be a physical, 55 points player that is great at killing penalties? It's very likely as a matter of fact.

Brayden Schenn, who is widely considered the top prospect in hockey, was considered to be a lesser version of Mike Richards, who scored 66 points on an absolutely loaded Philadelphia team. It's a player anyone would want, but as the #1 prospect in hockey, what is so exciting about a player like that? How is this Philadelphia that thinks highly of him, they likely were offered Schenn and a 2nd, or Schenn and Simmonds, and wanted more. The only other option was that Schenn was the throw in at the end, meaning neither team valued him that highly, but this is the most unlikely scenario. It shows me that teams don't see high potential in Brayden Schenn.

And Mike Richards isn't some amazing star. He's a good leader, a good seconday offensive player, and a physical penalty killer. A less version of him isn't that appealing to me.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Id easily take that bet. I will go on the record as saying I don't think Schenn will ever be better then Mike Richards for the next 10 years (overall game). This is not a scathing report of Schenn, but some people are making Richards out to be a turd.
Richards game will decline with age like Drury. He's sacrificed his body too much during the Flyers playoff runs, he's a warrior but injuries will start kicking in like it was for this years playoffs.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:04 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Who on Boston's roster would you call "elite" offesnively? Krejci lead the team with 62 points. Boston did just fine I'd say.
Well, when you have a top 3 defenseman and a top 3 goaltender and excellent depth, you can get past that hurdle. Most teams don't have that luxury. It's also a lot easier to make it to the Finals when the best team in the conference is without their top two players during the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And i'll enjoy not having to deal with Mike Richards, who's a two-way force. Or Jeff Carter, who can score 46 and 36 goals in a season, while the number 8th pick may never do that.

They may want to be retooling their team but I don't see how it makes ANY sense when that team is in win now mode.
I don't think they are in win now mode anymore. I think that, in two seasons, when the contracts of Timmonen and Hartnell are up, when Schenn is starting to find his game, when Giroux will be entering his prime. They'll have a ton of cap space and they're hoping someone will be available for them to throw money at.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:06 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't think they are in win now mode anymore. I think that, in two seasons, when the contracts of Timmonen and Hartnell are up, when Schenn is starting to find his game, when Giroux will be entering his prime. They'll have a ton of cap space and they're hoping someone will be available for them to throw money at.
They'll probably be in the hunt for a replacement for Pronger. How many surgeries has he had this season, 4?

I expect things to go even further downhill for him.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Well, when you have a top 3 defenseman and a top 3 goaltender and excellent depth, you can get past that hurdle. Most teams don't have that luxury. It's also a lot easier to make it to the Finals when the best team in the conference is without their top two players during the playoffs.

Crosby/Malkin/Staal/Suter sweepstakes.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Well I don't think they're in Win Now mode anymore, but it's just such a drastic change.

Many figured a good goaltender would make that team able to contend for the Cup. The acquisition of Bryz seemed like a win now move. But then they trade 2 of their 3 best forwards. Yeah, it's for locker room reasons probably but it just seems like a sudden and drastic shift in ideology.

Now they have Bryz locked up until he's 40. Will he be good enough to lead a team to the Cup when Giroux, JVR, Schenn, etc, are ready to foray into the finals?

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote