HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Around the League: Silly Season Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
I really can't wait for Ovie to freight train his ass.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Boom. Headshot.
  • AnthonySan37 | Anthony SanFilippo | Ok #Flyers fans, I'm told that if the Flyers decide to give Stamkos an offer sheet it's for $115 mil over 12 years with a full no-trade.
The Lightning would match, I think, and Stamkos would owe the Flyers a favor, but that $9.533M cap hit would certainly make Yzerman's cap calculations more difficult for the next while, assuming the Flyers do this.

I'll say this much: Stamkos would be nuts not to wait a couple of days just to see what the teams offer up. For that kind of security, you play anywhere.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:05 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Boom. Headshot.
  • AnthonySan37 | Anthony SanFilippo | Ok #Flyers fans, I'm told that if the Flyers decide to give Stamkos an offer sheet it's for $115 mil over 12 years with a full no-trade.
The Lightning would match, I think, and Stamkos would owe the Flyers a favor, but that $9.533M cap hit would certainly make Yzerman's cap calculations more difficult for the next while, assuming the Flyers do this.

I'll say this much: Stamkos would be nuts not to wait a couple of days just to see what the teams offer up. For that kind of security, you play anywhere.
He doesn't have to wait, or rather, wait blindly. RFAs are allowed to negotiate offer sheets already, they just can't sign anything until July 1st.

He should at least have an idea of what's out there right now, although I'm sure there are other offers that would materialize as free agency moves on. Based on that I'd think he already has a number in mind for which he'll ignore the offer sheet(s).

Old
06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Boom. Headshot.

and it makes Sid's contract even more defined above that area... if not more, depending on health. I'm sure he was already targeting Ovi's 10M salary by that time. But adding Stamkos just supports that top level floor.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:08 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Also wonder how much of that money would be insanely up front in order to put financial cash flow stress on TB?

Old
06-29-2011, 02:10 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Boom. Headshot.

rofl..anything that puts a squeeze on Tampa is a positive.

06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

OT: It must be great to be so secure in your position of selling information to tell the general public "this is who I am and **** off it you don't like it".

God bless BMac.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Noob question, assuming TB doesn't match, they'll receive 4 1sts?

Old
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Robert Theodorson

I seriously hope that rumor is true and Philly throws as much money as they possibly can at Stamkos. Seeing our rivals having to pay their top 2 centers 30 percent of the entire cap would be sweet.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Yes, and Philly won't be bottom feeders anytime soon. So it's not that great a deal.

Now if Florida or Edmonton offered it, it could work out for both teams.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Yup. But they'll match.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Exactly. The rest of the Eastern Conference and especially the Southeast (or South, if realignment rumors are to be believed) Division benefit, and only Philly earns the enmity of the Lightning. Win-Win. Unless you are Tampa Bay, of course.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Beyond the positive hockey ramifications for the Caps, I want to see it happen for entertainment purposes. It's potentially going to be the most uneventful Canada day in a while with the weak free agent crop.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
I seriously hope that rumor is true and Philly throws as much money as they possibly can at Stamkos. Seeing our rivals having to pay their top 2 centers 30 percent of the entire cap would be sweet.
X10.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Apparently Roloson back to Tampa for 1 year, $3M.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Apparently Roloson back to Tampa for 1 year, $3M.
Not surprised...with both Colorado and Phoenix needing goaltenders and only really Vokoun out there as a true starting option, it was in Tampa Bay's best interests to bring him back.

Oh, and Erik Cole is testing free agency. The same article mentions that Jussi Jokinen would be as well, but Chip Alexander tweeted this afternoon that Jokinen's agent still hopes to sign a deal by Friday.

Wanna know how weak this UFA class is? Craig Custance has his top 25 free agents list, and Tomas Fleischmann comes in at No. 4.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, as bad as it is, Custance is delusional. There are about 15 other guys I'd put ahead of Flash.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Not surprised...with both Colorado and Phoenix needing goaltenders and only really Vokoun out there as a true starting option, it was in Tampa Bay's best interests to bring him back.

Oh, and Erik Cole is testing free agency. The same article mentions that Jussi Jokinen would be as well, but Chip Alexander tweeted this afternoon that Jokinen's agent still hopes to sign a deal by Friday.

Wanna know how weak this UFA class is? Craig Custance has his top 25 free agents list, and Tomas Fleischmann comes in at No. 4.
I think that says more about how little Mr. Custance knows about these players than it does the FA class. Flash at 4 is ridiculous.

There are 5-10 players I'd be very happy with the Caps signing outside of Richards.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:

The only player he sees as a fit here is Hamrlik (aside from Arnott resigning). What do you guys think of him coming here?

Old
06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
yeah. i think this list was written for fantasy hockey players not real GMs. i do wonder where poor-man's-gaborik will end up and for how much though.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:18 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I think that says more about how little Mr. Custance knows about these players than it does the FA class. Flash at 4 is ridiculous.

There are 5-10 players I'd be very happy with the Caps signing outside of Richards.
See Erik Cole. But I'm pretty sure the Caps are gonna spend my Erik Cole money somewhere else. I'd also like Jovanovski, but his money'll go to Hannan. Not that that's a bad thing.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was hilarious.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Good stuff, much of it common sense, but from a player's perspective, via Twitter regarding player considerations on the eve of Free Agency.

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Here's my take. Bad teams and bad organizations have to over pay by a lot to get guys. Simple. Wiz is a good player but 5 mill?? No

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Ehrhoff -only way he signs with islanders is if they are at 6 million a year bc someone will give him 5. After taxes not that big a deal.

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Guys want the most money but want great teams if they r good players. Middle range guys between 1 and 3 million will chase cash . I did!!

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | As for jagr - still can play and loved pitt. Different guy- good guy and I believe motivated. Great addition to pitt if he signs .

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | As for paul kariya. Great guy -great player. Congrats on a great career. And wow to steve dryden. Saw him on last night and great job!

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | I'm going to give u 1 team and a few names- redden- holik- gomez- drury- kasparitis- july 1st is a dangerous day for bad teams. #desperation

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | I'm not saying the rangers r a bad org. Opposite . They were a team trying to put bandaids. Good teams get teams cheaper.

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | There are 7 or 8 teams that players dread getting traded 2. They get consoled! So when july 1st those teams need 2 pay more! Fact!!

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | High priced players r attracted 2 good teams- great cities- and money. Middle players and lower players to more money!! #truthhurts

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Absolutely ! I was really only a UFA once and signed with hawksRT @MMA_Elite: So I guess you were attracted to more money?

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Here's a question. Would u rather 4 million in the bank and a stanley cup ring- or 10 million No ring! Try and be truthful . #hard

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Point of it is its a hard question. Everyone wants a ring but everyone wants money.I did that exercise for 15 yrs in nhl and I think 50 -50

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | Yes 4 million is a lot and people don't comprehend but 10 is a lot more!! #showmethemoney!

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | So july 1 I say richards goes 2 best team if money is close or best city. A team like buffalo will have to overpay a lot to get him

MattBarnabyESPN | Matthew Barnaby | I live in buffalo and love it. People that play there love it and stay. But it isn't a destination point. They would have 2 overpay.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Unless it turns Philly into a monster. I laughed when they gave up Richards and Carter but adding Stamkos to go with Ilya makes the Flyers scarier then Tampa last year with Stamkos.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Jagr signing with Pitt could be the best thing to happen to us. The guy is a loser. Locker room cancer. Distraction.
Loser? Cancer? Distraction? Brilliant stuff from the guy who's spent the last 2 years defending Semin.

I'll take Jagr at 1.5m and his multiple Cups, Art Rosses and Hart Trophy over Alex "arguably the most immature player in the league" Semin at 6.7m.

Jagr is a great addition to the Penguins and Semin is an albatross.

Closed Thread