HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Silly Season Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Things are looking really grim for the Islanders' referendum at this point.

Old
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Things are looking really grim for the Islanders' referendum at this point.
It's dead. Time for a new plan!

Old
08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
It's dead. Time for a new plan!
Gmgm just tweeted "********, throw the same referendum back at them next year!"

Last edited by Langway: 08-02-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

It's worth noting that it's actually a non-binding referendum. Legislators could theoretically ignore it and approve of funding for the new arena anyway, and cite the low voter turnout as a reason for illegitimacy of the referendum. Highly unlikely, though.

Better get all the cheap Caps @ Islanders glass tickets I can get my hands on in the next few years.

Old
08-01-2011, 11:51 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Turnout is looking to be almost 20% by the time they finish counting. That's actually quite a bit considering the transportation difficulties and the fact that it's a random Monday in the middle of the summer with nothing else on the ballot. I think it'll have to be some other proposal, probably with a lot more private funding. Personally I don't care what it is as long as it keeps the Islanders on the Island.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Turnout is looking to be almost 20% by the time they finish counting. That's actually quite a bit considering the transportation difficulties and the fact that it's a random Monday in the middle of the summer with nothing else on the ballot. I think it'll have to be some other proposal, probably with a lot more private funding. Personally I don't care what it is as long as it keeps the Islanders on the Island.
The Islanders should move to the new Nets arena in Brooklyn -which is on Long Island.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:06 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The Islanders should move to the new Nets arena in Brooklyn -which is on Long Island.
This.

Not sure why this story is even getting that much attention.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Barclays is not big enough for hockey. It's built to be a basketball arena and just a basketball arena. Revised plans for the ability to put a rink on it reduced seating to around 14,000 with tons of terrible sight lines.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Wang makes some bizarre hockey decisions, but he saved that club and he's been given a raw deal by the local authorities since 2000.

I don't know what he is going to decide to do, but he'll have my support if he adopts the nuclear option.

For what it's worth, forcing a referendum on this right now was not the wisest idea. There could not be a worse economic climate in which to ask if people would like to pony up another $15 a year on their taxes.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Especially considering Nassau county is the richest county in New York state and the 11th richest in the US, $14/year (or just over $1/moth) is a pittance. I'm still mildly surprised that those voters weren't willing to give up one double cheeseburger a month to generate a whole lot of business in their county and save jobs.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:47 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Barclays is not big enough for hockey. It's built to be a basketball arena and just a basketball arena. Revised plans for the ability to put a rink on it reduced seating to around 14,000 with tons of terrible sight lines.
Well that's idiotic. Seriously, why wouldn't you elect to build a multi purpose arena?

Old
08-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Same reason they made the design decisions they made in the Pacific Northwest. The basketball folks did not want the potential competition another Winter sport could pose in a few years' time, so they built a building purposely designed to suck for hockey.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Same reason they made the design decisions they made in the Pacific Northwest. The basketball folks did not want the potential competition another Winter sport could pose in a few years' time, so they built a building purposely designed to suck for hockey.
But that competition already exists...it takes all of 15 minutes and $2.25 to get from Atlantic Terminal (Barclays arena) to MSG!

It must have been the bean counters.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
werash39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post

That just seems silly, it's not a threat as much as a tenant for a guaranteed 41 nights a year. I just think Wang would want more control than just being a tenant in someone else's building. The stupid thing about the Brooklyn arena is if Prokhorov decided he wanted in to the NHL he would have to potentially build another arena.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Still trying to wrap my head around Hunter getting waived. Just signed a longish deal. I would take him in a bottom 6 role in a second...

Wondering if the team suspected he would be a regular on the IR from here on out....

Old
08-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Devil Dancer

That's all I can think of. He was productive when healthy, but was rarely healthy.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Devil Dancer

Wow, Perron won't be read for the start of the season after his concussion on November 4, 2010. That's terrible for the Blues, the player, and my fantasy hockey team.

Old
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

7.5 arb awarded to Shea Webber... that is one hefty price tag. Does that make him the highest paid Dman in the league?

think hes worth it?

Old
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yes (at least in terms of cap hit) and yes.

It's not the MLB arb process but I wonder if Nashville's reported lowball figure still didn't end up backfiring on them.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

That's a ton of money for an RFA year.

Where does the arbiter go from there if they come back next summer? Can they even go to arbitration again?

Also, Mike Green is going to be expensive... Jesus.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
txpd

colin white to the sharks. 1 year $1m. this should be a red flag to anyone thinking there is money available on a decent team for scott hannan.

Old
08-03-2011, 06:14 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Also, Mike Green is going to be expensive... Jesus.
Given the way Green's past couple of season have gone with injuries and what not, I don't think he'll surpass Weber's deal, but yeah...he ain't going to be cheap. Especially when you consider how his last contract negotiation went.

Some tough decisions next off-season.

Quote:
colin white to the sharks. 1 year $1m. this should be a red flag to anyone thinking there is money available on a decent team for scott hannan.
I'm really wondering what's up with Hannan. Despite his underwhelming playoff series, he still had a good regular season with the Capitals and he's healthy.

He's gotta be either asking for far too much money or he's limited his search to specific teams. Hannan's got no offensive or transition game upside to his play, and he really didn't start contributing with the Caps until they switched to a defensive system.

White was bought out because he made too much money for the level of player he is now, and the Devils needed the cap space more. My guess is that if Hannan's looking for something around $3 million, he can get it in Russia and no where else

Old
08-03-2011, 06:29 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

at least on paper, the sharks solved a lot of their problems this offseason. their D corp is much more balanced and they shed some one-way players.

the whole nashville/weber thing is weird. it really seems like weber has no desire to stay there long term.

Old
08-03-2011, 07:15 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
the whole nashville/weber thing is weird. it really seems like weber has no desire to stay there long term.
Word is that Weber's really ticked that Nashville took him to arbitration. By doing that, the Predators prevented an offer sheet and a longer term deal.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out next year.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Word is that Weber's really ticked that Nashville took him to arbitration. By doing that, the Predators prevented an offer sheet and a longer term deal.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out next year.
plus suter and rinne's UFA contracts. fun times.

Closed Thread