HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Silly Season Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Unholy

vCash: 500
Not sure if you guys have a Former Caps thread or anything (couldn't find one) but we like to keep tabs on former players a bit and thought I'd share since the Caps drafted him and was in the system for a while. Andrew Gordon has 3 goals in 4 games played in the preseason and is competing hard for a spot and if he gets it will most likely be on the 3rd line.

09-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Langway
Intangibles

He looked good in the Vancouver game. Strong on the PK blocking some shots and a nice 2-on-1 snipe high glove on Schneider. I'd have to think he makes it, at least to start the season. His skating still isn't all that strong but I'm not surprised he's fairing well elsewhere. He definitely has NHL finishing skills, just needed an opportunity.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:37 AM
txpd

as has been the case for a while now, the caps have more nhl level prospects than they have space to use. the excess gets used as backup depth and then they move on. i am glad for agordon if he is able to stick.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Not sure if you guys have a Former Caps thread or anything (couldn't find one) but we like to keep tabs on former players a bit and thought I'd share since the Caps drafted him and was in the system for a while. Andrew Gordon has 3 goals in 4 games played in the preseason and is competing hard for a spot and if he gets it will most likely be on the 3rd line.
Lot's of people believed in this kid. He needed a real opportunity to play. He couldn't get that here because of the depth.

Old
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
I think everybody loved Gordo. Kid was a gamer, just got buried behind all the other wingers we have here. Especially given we had Matt Bradley holding down the 4th RW spot as a veteran. Hope the best for him in Anaheim.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Wisniewski suspended the rest of the pre-season plus eight regular season games. Shanahan not ****ing around.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
I have a very bad feeling about this. I haven't seen that hit yet, but Shanahan is showing signs of being too extreme. I don't really like the idea of having a celebrity disciplinarian in the first place.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
pgreene

ok, shanahan's releasing video explanations of suspensions. that's f'ing awesome.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=124919

I think it's a good suspension!

Old
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
yup. it was a totally stupid needless hit. and the best part about it, in my opinion, is that shanny's not exactly a lady byng winner. he knows dirty. perfect guy for the job.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Stewie G

That's almost a 10% paycut for this season. I'm pretty sure he'll think twice next time if he knows there's a chance it will cost him a half million bucks or more.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:20 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
celebrity disciplinarian.
he's a former hockey player, not heidi klum. he's a widely respected former player that the players respect.

what about this is too extreme? the guy was hit after the horn, having never touched the puck, directly to the head with follow thru?

Old
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Gotta say that I'm enjoying Shanahan's first few weeks. I expect things to settle down in a bit, but the ruffled feathers of particular fanbases (the suspendees) is short-term (and predictable, and predictably misguided, IMHO) pain for a longer-term gain.

We'll see how things are in January.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Over/under on Ovie's first suspension this year? Maybe 5 games?
didn't notice this sooner, but Ovy is no longer a repeat offender as defined by the CBA. Once you are clean for 18 months, you aren't a repeat offender, so any attempts to suspend Ovechkin as a repeat offender would be a violation of the CBA at this point.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
didn't notice this sooner, but Ovy is no longer a repeat offender as defined by the CBA. Once you are clean for 18 months, you aren't a repeat offender, so any attempts to suspend Ovechkin as a repeat offender would be a violation of the CBA at this point.
I know that is the letter of the law, but in the video, Shanahan mentioned that one of the factors he took into consideration was that Wisniewski has been suspended 4 times since March 2008. I know Wisniewski falls into the repeat offender category already, but it sounds like they're going back past the 18 month timeframe when making decisions.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I know that is the letter of the law, but in the video, Shanahan mentioned that one of the factors he took into consideration was that Wisniewski has been suspended 4 times since March 2008. I know Wisniewski falls into the repeat offender category already, but it sounds like they're going back past the 18 month timeframe when making decisions.
That's fine, but Wisniewski had a suspension in the last 18 months, therefore his past is still relevant. Suspending players is a matter clearly defined in the CBA, and is a CBA matter. Therefore, violating the protocol set forth in the CBA for suspensions would be a ****storm for the league.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Gotta say that I'm enjoying Shanahan's first few weeks. I expect things to settle down in a bit, but the ruffled feathers of particular fanbases (the suspendees) is short-term (and predictable, and predictably misguided, IMHO) pain for a longer-term gain.

We'll see how things are in January.
Almost more than the specifics, the transparency and clarity in the published Shanahan videos, the outreach through a medium as simple as Twitter, goes a really long way. It's impressive. He's making a concerted effort to repeat particular CBA language, pointing out which aspects constituted violations, and hammering on those points. Repetitive viewing by players (you know they're all watching them) and it may just start to sink in. If nothing else, it's going to be harder to claim bias, favoritism or targeting if the process is transparent, the explanations codified in consistent language each time, and the factors enumerated clearly and concisely.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
That's fine, but Wisniewski had a suspension in the last 18 months, therefore his past is still relevant. Suspending players is a matter clearly defined in the CBA, and is a CBA matter. Therefore, violating the protocol set forth in the CBA for suspensions would be a ****storm for the league.
Does the CBA state whether falling into the repeat offender category opens up ALL of your past suspensions for consideration, or only those in the last 18 months? I'm not exactly sure how that works. If it is the former, then I understand the decisions. If it is the latter, he might be overstepping his bounds a little. Not that I disagree with it, I'm just not sure of the specifics.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Almost more than the specifics, the transparency and clarity in the published Shanahan videos, the outreach through a medium as simple as Twitter, goes a really long way. It's impressive. He's making a concerted effort to repeat particular CBA language, pointing out which aspects constituted violations, and hammering on those points. Repetitive viewing by players (you know they're all watching them) and it may just start to sink in. If nothing else, it's going to be harder to claim bias, favoritism or targeting if the process is transparent, the explanations codified in consistent language each time, and the factors enumerated clearly and concisely.
I just don't understand how it took this long to be transparent.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
I agree with all of that, but since the rules don't mandate a certain length suspension for the different types of hit, then he needs to be sure he uses the recent suspensions as the measuring stick and sticks by them. I agree that the hits in question deserved lengthy suspensions, but he has put himself in an interesting position with regards to where he goes from here. Granted, I'm not sure we'll see much that would be considered several degrees worse than what Wisniewski did, but we might be in for a record-setting suspension under Shanny's watch if we do.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
he's a former hockey player, not heidi klum. he's a widely respected former player that the players respect.

what about this is too extreme? the guy was hit after the horn, having never touched the puck, directly to the head with follow thru?
I said I hadn't seen that hit. It just seems like he is determined to send a message and may overextend himself because of that, even giving out suspensions when none is warranted (to a player like, say, Ovechkin). Anyway, he is a celebrity. He is to his job what Yzerman is to the position of GM. People are granting his decisions respect because they respect him as a person/player/whatever. That's not alright.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I said I hadn't seen that hit. It just seems like he is determined to send a message and may overextend himself because of that, even giving out suspensions when none is warranted (to a player like, say, Ovechkin). Anyway, he is a celebrity. He is to his job what Yzerman is to the position of GM. People are granting his decisions respect because they respect him as a person/player/whatever. That's not alright.
I'm not quite sure how you can say you haven't seen the hit and then question the job he's doing. That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm granting his decisions respect because I think they are good ones and well-explained, not because of who he is.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I just don't understand how it took this long to be transparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I agree with all of that, but since the rules don't mandate a certain length suspension for the different types of hit, then he needs to be sure he uses the recent suspensions as the measuring stick and sticks by them. I agree that the hits in question deserved lengthy suspensions, but he has put himself in an interesting position with regards to where he goes from here. Granted, I'm not sure we'll see much that would be considered several degrees worse than what Wisniewski did, but we might be in for a record-setting suspension under Shanny's watch if we do.
Right, well I was trying to lay aside the specifics regarding the penalty itself, and the precedent-setting nature of the decisions for the future, and focus more on procedure. In that respect, it seems like a bold new direction for the league, and for that matter, most any major sports league. Deliberation in most major pro leagues have that back-room feeling regarding suspensions, followed by a ruling from on high. There is no recourse or explanation, and that's the end of it. This is a step in the right direction: Provide a video each time, make it accessible, walk the viewer through the decision process, and with repeated decisions, cite the same language gleaned directly from the CBA, explaining that this informed the decision. Multiple decision videos show continuity from the one to the other with regard to factors.

Now we can parse whether the decisions were correct, whether there will be a consistent bar as far as penalty length is concerned, but the transparency is refreshing. Hopefully he has free reign over time to keep doing this, and that the powers that be acknowledge the public relations windfall to be gained via transparency.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Right, well I was trying to lay aside the specifics regarding the penalty itself, and the precedent-setting nature of the decisions for the future, and focus more on procedure. In that respect, it seems like a bold new direction for the league, and for that matter, most any major sports league. Deliberation in most major pro leagues have that back-room feeling regarding suspensions, followed by a ruling from on high. There is no recourse or explanation, and that's the end of it. This is a step in the right direction: Provide a video each time, make it accessible, walk the viewer through the decision process, and with repeated decisions, cite the same language gleaned directly from the CBA, explaining that this informed the decision. Multiple decision videos show continuity from the one to the other with regard to factors.

Now we can parse whether the decisions were correct, whether there will be a consistent bar as far as penalty length is concerned, but the transparency is refreshing. Hopefully he has free reign over time to keep doing this, and that the powers that be acknowledge the public relations windfall to be gained via transparency.
Agreed on all counts. The league needs all the positive PR it can get too. Just about the only times I see NHL stories get a prominent headline are those that cast the league in poor light (banana throwing, homophobic slurs, etc.)

Old
09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
txpd

why did it take so long? seems to me the NHL is on the cutting edge with the use of its website(very likely ted leonsis influenced). putting the person that lays down the punishment on camera with the video and a detailed explaination of what they saw and what lead to their determination is new to professional sports as far as i know.

i would have loved to have seen the presentation of this kind to ovechkin's hit on campbell.

Closed Thread