HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Around the League: Silly Season Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
He's set on testing the market, along with the vast majority of UFAs at this point I'd think.
Agreed. But he has no risk and all to gain. New team is going to give him solid ufa offer.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:20 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It's obvious....2/3 of Eastern Pennsylvania has to buy a new Flyers jersey.

You don't trade two core players signed to career type deals without a lot of fan backlash. Personally I think the Flyers realized they had the wrong core guys and overcommitted to too many huge contracts. They're adjusting the roster accordingly.
There's that, but there's also trading away a great two way center to make cap space for an unknown goalie who they gave massive term to. There's also the whole "Pronger and Timonen and Bryz will be too old before Schenn, Simmonds and Voracek get old enough." Unless the Flyers turn around and trade Schenn for some win-now piece...it looks insane.

Frankly, if I inherited the Flyers tomorrow...I look long and hard at my options for a complete rebuild.

06-23-2011, 05:21 PM
LetsGoBears

Ok, Philly got their goaltender, but now offically have no offense. Schenn is good, but still young. I'm with Warden, as of now this bat**** crazy!

Old
06-23-2011, 05:26 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Ok, Philly got their goaltender, but now offically have no offense. Schenn is good, but still young. I'm with Warden, as of now this bat**** crazy!
No offense? Seems fine to me especially considering it's only late June.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:35 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It's obvious....2/3 of Eastern Pennsylvania has to buy a new Flyers jersey.
Well played! lol

06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Truth is if they knew anything....

God it must be so easy to be gmgm. This line works everywhere!!

I wonder how they control who votes... Is true Philly fans.

You can't compare trading your top two Cs who are both making 5m and are the "C" and "A" respectively to trading Semin or Green.

There's a middle ground---and it's a ****ing enormous one.

Last edited by mrwarden: 06-23-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Irony
Old
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Well played! lol
Fans should be able to purchase a team jersey with velcro nameplates and numbers...like teams do/did at the draft.

06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
LetsGoBears

Ok, no offense is stretching it, but holy hell. That is massive shake ups from a team that has been mostly a deadline builder.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Holy crap in regards to what the Flyers are doing. I hope GMGM and Uncle Teddy are paying attention. With OV and Nicky signed to long term deals, and Semin and Green needing new deals soon I hope the Caps don't find themselves in a similar situation in the not to distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Fans should be able to purchase a team jersey with velcro nameplates and numbers...like teams do/did at the draft.
That, or do what I did and get a jersey with a name of a past great player that way you don't have to worry about the player leaving. Best gift my Wife ever got me was my #66 Jacoby authentic Skins jersey.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
That takes balls. Philly decided Carter and Richards wouldn't bring them the Cup and went in a different direction altogether.
The Flyers were two games away from winning the Cup last season...And they didn't lose because of Carter/Richards, it was their goal-tending that cost them.

Richards and Carter are getting traded because Ed Snider(Owns the Flyers) wanted them gone. Apparently there were some serious off-ice issues regarding the two.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

LOL at Holmgren. Traded his captain and a 40 goal scorer and got futures and a couple of 20 goal guys.

They got less skilled and didn't gain any grit.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

You can't compare trading your top two Cs who are both making 5m and are the "C" and "A" respectively to trading Semin or Green.

There's a middle ground---and it's a ****ing enormous one.
A troubled "C" who apparently feuded with your centerpiece veteran defenseman. I would argue that Carter and Green are similar in their importance to their original teams and in their playoff struggles, but that's about it. The biggest factor in this are the lengths of Carter's and Richards' respective contracts in relation to the Flyers' efforts to sign Bryz. Your top two centers gone, with only a young center prospect coming back (Brayden Schenn). Unless they make another move, Danny Briere is suddenly your top line center (and he moved to the right wing last year). And while there's still offense there, you just removed two major core pieces from it and replaced them with the aforementioned prospect, a guy who's never scored more than 20 goals in his three NHL seasons, a defensive forward who's never averaged more than 15 minutes a game in his three seasons, a top 10 draft pick, and a couple of other picks.

All to sign an overrated goalie to a 9-year contract.

Bleepin' insane.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
LOL at Holmgren. Traded his captain and a 40 goal scorer and got futures and a couple of 20 goal guys.

Yeah this definitely seems like a mini rebuild on the forward ranks..and naturally a shake up of the team..maybe the oft reported 'team culture' issue up in philly. Bold move regardless.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Ok, no offense is stretching it, but holy hell. That is massive shake ups from a team that has been mostly a deadline builder.
Holmgren said it was a change in direction for the org... Master of the Obvious!

Old
06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
The Flyers were two games away from winning the Cup last season...And they didn't lose because of Carter/Richards, it was their goal-tending that cost them.

Richards and Carter are getting traded because Ed Snider(Owns the Flyers) wanted them gone. Apparently there were some serious off-ice issues regarding the two.
Yeah. These moves had to be almost 100% locker room and beyond. Not that they were bad value (ignoring the short term hit, which at this point is probably tremendous) but wow.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

You would have to think that the GM's in LA and Columbus were well aware of any potential off-ice issues. If they are what people are saying they are, no way Schenn goes the other way, no way Richards keeps his "C" last year and no way someone hasn't sent him for help.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:14 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Simmonds.

Voracek is pretty strong on the puck. I think its a slight downgrade in "grit".

But they definitely took a step back in the center dept. Which is going to hurt both O and D. Will Bryz make up for the delta? Who knows.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The Flyers made it to the Cup finals las season without a goalie. That doesn't exactly scream locker room issues to me. This stinks of a personal issue with ownership if rumors about Ed Snider are to be believed.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:15 PM
txpd

the trades aside, i really question bryz. his playoff play has been questionable without anything close to philadelphia pressure. 9 year contracts in philly are dangerous.

the trades? pronger is in control now. he didnt approve of carter and richards and lupul and they are all gone now. i bet he is captain next. i'll be interested to see how this works out.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

i guess holmgren saw the b's win it all without a legit, elite, first line, so he did the obvious thing and traded his legit, elite first-line players away.

wow. i hope the rest of the off-season is this awesome.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Simmonds.

Voracek is pretty strong on the puck. I think its a slight downgrade in "grit".

But they definitely took a step back in the center dept. Which is going to hurt both O and D. Will Bryz make up for the delta? Who knows.
I think Simmonds in and Richards out is pretty much a wash grit-wise and Carter is probably grittier than Voracek. Schenn might make up the difference eventually, but it's definitely a net loss in grit in the short term.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:22 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the trades aside, i really question bryz. his playoff play has been questionable without anything close to philadelphia pressure. 9 year contracts in philly are dangerous.

the trades? pronger is in control now. he didnt approve of carter and richards and lupul and they are all gone now. i bet he is captain next. i'll be interested to see how this works out.
Bryz is a double edged sword. Better D than he's seen in some time, but way more pressure too. Could be fun to watch...

Old
06-23-2011, 06:22 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Lupul was swapped for Pronger.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
pgreene

today puzzles me.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Lupul was swapped for Pronger.
i realize that. lupul was reported to be part of richards and carter's party posse. i should have been clear on that.

brad richards nix of the nmc: often a team requests the waive when a deal is on the table. he may just have rejected the team in question out of hand.

Closed Thread