HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards refused to waive NMC today

Old
06-24-2011, 12:17 AM
ComrieFanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because he clearly wants to see every single offer available to him.

He doesn't want to feel obligated to sign with a team that acquires his rights.

He seems to be dead set on waiting for July 1st, seeing every single offer, and then making a decision.

From his POV, it's about himself now, not how he can help DAL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
because ruling out the team that acquired his rights would be plain stupid.
He's already made it quite clear he doesn't want to sign before July 1st yet at least one team still wants to trade for his rights. He should just let Dallas get something in return for him and then stand his ground and not negotiate. I'm quite sure the team that trades for his rights will still make an offer on July 1, even if he ignores that team like he has said he would do.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:28 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

it was Dallas' choice to not sign him (for whatever their reason is) I think its nice he doesn't want to be traded to a team he might not sign with, thus pissing that fan base off.

I think this is a bit blown out of proportion.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Aussie Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
Quite true. I highly doubt that B. Richards cares about a mid-round pick. I'm pissed that he did it but I will say that he had every right to say 'no'. To try to justify it in the way some people have in this thread is ludicrous. It's simple: Richards has the right to look out for his best interests. If he or his agent feel it's better this way then so be it. It just sucks for Dallas.

Not that simple really. 1) He was suffering from an injury. 2) He could've turned down any deal that the Stars presented to him. Once again, Richards may not be a 'dick' but he definitely didn't do anything to help Dallas out (nor does he have to). Let's leave it at that.
Best post on this thread

Aussie Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:13 AM
2min4lookingsogood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
I find no possible reason as to why he'd hamper Dallas like that.

He knows this much that Dallas is not re-signing him. He won't be bound to the team acquiring his rights, and can still explore the market on July 1st.

Strange.
I agree with this. Makes me think he didn't like being in Dallas and doesn't want to thank them for his time there but not allowing them to get a 3rd or 4th.

2min4lookingsogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:16 AM
gambitlebo

I don't see where either side is wrong.

I don't blame Dallas for asking. Richards has made it clear that he is waiting for FA. If I'm Dallas and a team calls, why not ask? Best case, he says yes and you get something for nothing and call it a day. Worse case, he say no. No harm, no foul and you call it a day.

I don't blame Richards. Why help the team your leaving? Why act in bad faith by allowing a team to trade for you if your not sure where you'll sign? Lets say the team in question is a team he DOES want to play for, why make that team weaker when they can sign him later?

We don't even know if he was made aware of the team asking or what that team would give up. Normally players are just asked if they would be willing. The players are the the noes that say "no or yes, but only to certain teams".

There is a reason GM's rarely talk about deals that fell through.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, Dallas is losing Richards for nothing.
They're losing him for a ton of cap space. That ain't "nothing"...

Old
06-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
They're losing him for a ton of cap space. That ain't "nothing"...
Still nothing when your losing that calibre of player.

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
People are still on this?

He was never going to waive, people. He wants to get the most money possible, and I believe it was reported that he would feel pressured to sign with the team that acquired his rights, and thus, he would probably end up with less money.
This.

If he waves his NMC and then doesn't sign for the team he is traded to, he then has an entire new fan base hating him.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

A team may have wanted to trade for his rights so they could either sign him or just check him off the list for the sole purpose of not even having to contact him on July 1st to get a jump on the next UFA.

Pretty much like Shero did with Hamhuis's rights for a 3rd from the Flyers and they crossed him off the list and landed Michalek & Martin on July 1st.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Sabretip

The whole "classless" rant is silly:

- If he waives the NTC so Dallas gets something in return, and indirectly says to the team he waives it for that he'd consider signing with them but doesn't, he'd be branded "classless" for teasing that team with the premise he'd agree to sign with them.

- If he doesn't waive the NTC, he'd be branded "classless" for not helping out his current team.

Neither makes sense. It's a business and he and his agent are making a business decision.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
it was Dallas' choice to not sign him (for whatever their reason is)
...not exactly. All they did was publicly acknowledge that Brad's insistence of having stable ownership (reasonable enough) was not going to be met prior to July 1st. The decision to not remain in Dallas, or at least as a possibility, was made by Richards. It's not that management thought they'd rather not have the player on their team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
Still nothing when your losing that calibre of player.
I'd rather use that money elsewhere. If you're paying one player what he was making (and probably will make) they need to be a truly special player; Richards is a very good but not special player.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I think all these haters are missing something very important.

THE GUY HAS A DAMN NMC. He has NO OBLIGATION to waive it.

The team could've stipulated that the NMC expires at the end of his last season (and thus the team has the right to trade his negotiation rights). They didn't.

The guy clearly wants to talk to more then 1 team and it puts him in an awkward situation if he has to talk to only 1 team for a period of time, so he chooses not to talk to anybody until July 1. Get off his damn case about it

It's unreal how many people here act like he's obligated to help his team out before leaving. Simply put.. If you don't understand the reason why there's nothing wrong with him refusing to waive the NMC, then you're an idiot.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:10 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
...not exactly. All they did was publicly acknowledge that Brad's insistence of having stable ownership (reasonable enough) was not going to be met prior to July 1st. The decision to not remain in Dallas, or at least as a possibility, was made by Richards. It's not that management thought they'd rather not have the player on their team.
I am not seperating management and ownership in the equation and they shouldn't be.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:36 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

here's a tip to everyone crying about Brad - don't give a guy an NMC if you want to trade him

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:25 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
Last year the rights of Dan Hamhuis were traded to the Flyers, then when he wouldn't sign there they were then traded to the Penguins. I realize he didn't have a NMC, however no one called him selfish because the Flyers and Penguins wanted draft picks on him and he didn't sign with either team. It was talked about him wanting to play in Western Canada which he did signing with the Canucks, the same way Richards wants to become a UFA.
I remember a few fans of those teams complaining and taking shots at Hamhuis when he didn't seem very interested in negotiating with their team before he wa able to talk with Vancouver. They were mad at giving up any assets for a guy who wanted to wait and talk with Vancouver. Philly felt better when they 're-traded' with Pitt, but then their fans complained. I can see why Richards wouldn't want to deal with that.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Falconator

He's very much within his rights to say no. Possible scenarios.

1. He doesn't want to play for the team who wanted his rights.
2. He doesn't want to feel obligated to negotiate with a team.
3. He wants to enter FA'cy with an open book.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Clock

Richards wants to win a cup.

Why, then would he want to hurt whichever team he will eventually be going to by making them give up assets to Dallas for him?

I feel for Dallas to an extent, but I think his allegiance to them ended when it was published that a contract wouldn't be offered.

As most of you believe, I think he has a very short list of teams he's willing to sign up with already. It'll just be a matter of hearing their offers on the first.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The lesson here is if you give a NMC, don't give one that will be in effect during the lame duck period.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

I agree with everyone saying that Richards is not classless in this situation, and even-more so agree that he is following his moral compass + agent.

C-c-c-c-combo breaker: even if it was the team that he wants to sign with, Richards wouldn't have of waived his NMC in fear that they would be parting with significant pieces, therefore risking their success next season.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:25 AM
pld459666

Not going to bother reading through 7 pages, but I get the feeling that there are more than a handfull of posters who thisnk that Richards owes Dallas something.

Calling him all sorts of names and questioning his charachter because he's refused to waive his NTC JUST so the Dallas Stars benefit?

Richards said that there would be some sense of obligation to any team that he agrees to waive his NTC to acquire his rights.

I understand his point 100%. You agree to waive your NTC for a specific team, allow that team to give up assets for you and then have no intention of signing there?

He'd be more of a dick in my eyes if he allowed a team to waste an asset on him when they will have as much a shot at signing him 7 days.

Dallas has done nothing for Richards for anyone to feel he should have some sense of duty to ensure that they get something from this.

The time and place for any Brad Richards trade was before the deadline. The Stars made a choice then and now they have to live with that choice.

Personally, I think that a traveling NTC is absurd. I would hope that the GM's in the next CBA do something about that where as if a player signs a deal with a NTC and agrees to waive it once, then the NTC is no longer valid for the remaining term of the contract.

If you agreed to waive the NTC, it should render the clause in the contract null and void for the remainder of the contract term.

This would avoid situations like this altogether.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:26 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
The lesson here is if you give a NMC, don't give one that will be in effect during the lame duck period.
generally speaking I agree.

That said, Dallas didn't give him the NTC

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
generally speaking I agree.

That said, Dallas didn't give him the NTC
Forgot about that, but still the point remains.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:34 AM
txpd

most times a player with a nmc/ntc is asked to waive when a specific deal is on the table, not just in general. its very likely that dallas presented a trade of his rights to a team that richards would not sign with regardless of the offer.

it could be that he is set on signing with tampa bay and a trade to anyone else would be unfair.

cant blame dallas for trying and cant blame richards for saying no.

and...players of richards level on the open market get nmc.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I am not seperating management and ownership in the equation and they shouldn't be.
Is that what I did? My point is pretty simple. Richards' demands that explicitly needed to be met (stable ownership) were not going to be in place in order for them to make anything other than a token offer. Technically they could offer similar deals to what he will garner on the open market, but Dallas' decision was made by Richards.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote