HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov back for 3 years @ 5.75mil/year

Old
06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
His first pass is second to none in this league. He does it more consistently and more accurately than anyone else not named Lidstrom.
I know it's sacrilegious to talk about him, but one guy that this will help immensely is Gomez.

He desperately needs a guy like Markov to jump start the breakout. Looking forward to how this will impact him positively.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I know it's sacrilegious to talk about him, but one guy that this will help immensely is Gomez.

He desperately needs a guy like Markov to jump start the breakout. Looking forward to how this will impact him positively.
So true...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Getting in the offensive zone is never a problem for Gomez... it's growing the balls to drive to the net that is sorely missing.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:36 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:

All that will do is give Gomez more time at the offensive blueline to stop and think about things. Gomez has gotten good breakout passes but doesn't know what to do differently. He stops, looks and passes to Gionta maybe.

But I hope you are right in what you said because it could only the Habs for sure if Gomez can put together a season.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Getting in the offensive zone is never a problem for Gomez... it's growing the balls to drive to the net that is sorely missing.
ding ding ding!

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
TheGoalJudge

Does anyone here really think Markov is going to suffer these crazy injuries 3 years in a row? Really?

Also, after this UFA season, Markov will probably be around the 15th highest paid Dman in the league.

Last edited by TheGoalJudge: 06-24-2011 at 10:55 AM.
TheGoalJudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:52 AM
habitue*

I like the deal.

Glad to have Markov back.

Hopefully, Gauthier sign another D. Hamrlik or Wiz.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:55 AM
neofury*

Perfect now ditch Spacek, tell Wiz you want to win the cup and offer him longer term 7 years 45 million, call up Jagr tell him you have a contender and you'll sign him for 3.25, overpay enough to put Detroit off.

Now that Spacek has been traded for Commodore to fill the defensive void

Sign Laich as well rofl

A pipe dream but that would be bad ass.

Oh and as for Hammer, at the end of these signings you call him up and say "I can only give you league minimum blah blah blah want to win the cup before you retire? 1 year league minimum done deal"

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I like the deal.

Glad to have Markov back.

Hopefully, Gauthier sign another D. Hamrlik or Wiz.
Why?????

Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Weber
Spacek

The D is complete, what is with this sick obsession of signing Roman Hamrlik?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:57 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Why?????

Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Weber
Spacek

Do you remember how many d-men the Habs used last season because of injuries ?

Spacek and Gill are oldish

Weber is still raw

Yemelin has not played a single game in the NHL yet.

You have to pad up for the worst.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Lets see if the same reaction when Brad Richards is signed (with his concussions). Richards will sign a big long contract and all will say its great. But when Markov takes a 3 yr term at the same money, we complain. Double standards I say. Markov is one of the top defensemen in the league and we should be happy to have him.
I don't want Richards(Brad) at that contract,and I'll be surprised if he gets one like that. As for Markovs contract: Chara 7m,Weber will get 7m,Pronger gets 6m. Markov at 5.75 after missing all that time is a GREAT deal for HIM.He made 23m for playing less than 2.5 yrs and missing most of the last 3 playoffs.He's not as good as the above 3,no matter what the fanboys think. It doesn't mean he's not very good,but those guys are great.Oh well it's not my $$

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
JV

Quote:
Why?????

Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Weber
Spacek

Is Emelin a lock to make the team? Seriously, is he going to adjust that quickly that he can play top 4 minutes?

And how much would Wiz cost?

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
I don't want Richards(Brad) at that contract,and I'll be surprised if he gets one like that. As for Markovs contract: Chara 7m,Weber will get 7m,Pronger gets 6m. Markov at 5.75 after missing all that time is a GREAT deal for HIM.He made 23m for playing less than 2.5 yrs and missing most of the last 3 playoffs.He's not as good as the above 3,no matter what the fanboys think. It doesn't mean he's not very good,but those guys are great.Oh well it's not my $$
Contract's length and $ amount don't really matter.

If Markov is njured again for a long period, his salary is off the cap and the insurances kicked in (or the habs who are arich org, just pay him). After all it is you and me by buying tickets, jerseys and so on (cable TV), that are paying for markov's salary.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Markov is a Hab for another 3 years, so I'll just hope we don't see what we have been seeing for the last 2-3 years from Markov (not a whole lot due to his absence).

And, Markov better start performing in playoffs 'cause Subban will put him to shame when it comes to showing who has the most heart/hustle/grit/leadership/determination on the team.

With Subban and Price (and Gorges, and maybe Eller, Pacioretty,etc) I see our Habs being a contender with one or two more pieces...with Markov I see a passenger who might be good for the regular season (standings for playoffs) if he even gets to play more than to 30-40 games.

I'm sure Gauthier is crossing his fingers as well (I know I am, but I'm not gonna hold my breath even though there are many huge Markov fans who want me to!).

If Markov helps our Habs (especially in playoffs) I'll be more than happy to come here and apologize and write that I was wrong about Markov (that is what I want, I just hope Markov will make me do it with great performances and staying healthy).

To Markov: avoid getting hit if you can...nothing wrong with that (take a look at Subban).

For now, I better take a break from posting before I get an ulcer!!

Go Markov Go!???!
I understand what you're saying Mr. Hab. As I mentioned, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some doubts. My only issue with your original post was that I didn't agree with you that Markov didn't give a "hometown discount".

Other than that, I share a lot of the concerns that you do. Though I don't think to the same degree.

06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Gomez never played that wat in his entire career, and he certainly never did in the two years here. I don't know why people expect this of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
All that will do is give Gomez more time at the offensive blueline to stop and think about things. Gomez has gotten good breakout passes but doesn't know what to do differently. He stops, looks and passes to Gionta maybe.

But I hope you are right in what you said because it could only the Habs for sure if Gomez can put together a season.
Gomez always had to come down low for a pass. That long breakout pass was missing in our arsenal so badly that when Spacek did one after returning from injury, I noticed it right away. Our Dmen were not good at it last year.

Markov in our roster improves the whole team. It makes the PP better, it makes us better at ES, and also improves our PK. You also don't have to overplay older guys like Gill or Spacek.
Even if he plays on one leg, he'll still be good enough to contribute.

My guess is he will need a little adaption and that's obvious given the amount of games he's played these past 2 seasons, but hopefully he will be back to form soon and have a healthy season this time around.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Leo Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
His first pass is second to none in this league. He does it more consistently and more accurately than anyone else not named Lidstrom.
So then.. second to Lidstrom?

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Why?????

Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Weber
Spacek

If it helps you deal with it, think of it more like finding "in-house" solutions for improving the #7 spot in your lineup there...

As for Emelin playing 1st line right defense next year... "Hey guys, I'm just gonna adjust to North American hockey, maybe see how I like playing on my opposite side, and oh yeah... put me down for top pairing minutes as well."

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Is Emelin a lock to make the team? Seriously, is he going to adjust that quickly that he can play top 4 minutes?

And how much would Wiz cost?
He's not a lock, but he will get his chance and he fits perfectly along side Markov. I wouldn't be surprised if they used that to lure him here. Having a chance to play along side Markov for a Russian Dman must have its appeal.

Emelin is an aggressive defensive dman, that's perfect to complete Markov. I'm sure he'll play next to him. If he struggles, then things might change, but I'm sure he'll get a chance. Then again, I also thought the Kost broz would finally play together with Plek, but that didn't work out. So, you never know with Martin, but I'm expecting it.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Andy

The Markov signing made me realize that something just doesn't add up on the D.

Markov
Subban
Gill
Emelin
Spacek.

Presumably Gorges will be signed. That gives us 6. Weber looks like he will be signed as well that's 7.

That's 7 D along with the rumor Hamrlik would give us 8.

If we do sign Hamrlik, Gorges and Weber let's say. We'd still have a pretty fair amount of cap room to do something.

I dunno, something just doesn't add up here. I'm a little confused and kind of excited because it just seems like they obviously have something up their sleeve.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:20 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
The Markov signing made me realize that something just doesn't add up on the D.

Markov
Subban
Gill
Emelin
Spacek.

Presumably Gorges will be signed. That gives us 6. Weber looks like he will be signed as well that's 7.

That's 7 D along with the rumor Hamrlik would give us 8.

If we do sign Hamrlik, Gorges and Weber let's say. We'd still have a pretty fair amount of cap room to do something.

I dunno, something just doesn't add up here. I'm a little confused and kind of excited because it just seems like they obviously have something up their sleeve.
They gonna sign a couple of UFAs to play up front. One top-six and one big bottom six.

Pouliot and Halpern and maybe Pyatt are gone. Hopefully they don't trade White.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Honestly I was just thinking about this, Markovs 1st and 2nd injuries were very unfortunate and unlucky. Were all saying he won't be healthy, but clearly the Habs brass is confident he will be and that no other stupid injuries will occur, even though you can't forsee those. I like the signing and have a good feeling he's going to play some very good hockey in the next 3 years and won't get injured. Just my 2 cents.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

A litte late...but Press conference on RIS right now. Probably about to end.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
If it helps you deal with it, think of it more like finding "in-house" solutions for improving the #7 spot in your lineup there...

As for Emelin playing 1st line right defense next year... "Hey guys, I'm just gonna adjust to North American hockey, maybe see how I like playing on my opposite side, and oh yeah... put me down for top pairing minutes as well."
I don't see why Gill and Spacek/Weber will automically get more ice time than him. It all depends on his adaptation. I also don't think he necessarily needs to play top 4 minutes if he's alongside Markov.
O'Byrne was often used along side Hamrlik, yet he never played top 4 minutes.
It'll require some juggling, but just because he's playing with Markov doesn't mean he'll get top minutes.
Komisarek was placed with Markov right after Gainey fired Julien, but he wasn't playing top 4 minutes either from what I recall.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A litte late...but Press conference on RIS right now. Probably about to end.
Markov's? Damn, I wanted to see that!

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

Was Komisarek the 2nd best defensmen of the team when he played with Markov? Emelin is the perfect partner for Markov because he is defensively aware, fast enough to support an attack, physical in his zone and can find chemistry playing a fellow Russian. It's not like he played 12 min a game in the KHL last season. Your attempt to be funny made you more clueless then anything.

Instead of building the future, let's leave him in the stands until he goes back to Russia so that 37 year old Hamrlik can gas out like last season.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote