HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov back for 3 years @ 5.75mil/year

Old
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Habs 1909

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You've got it wrong.
They won the Carter Deal.
They lost the Richards deal.
Throw in the fact that they also acquired Bryzgalov and it looks like a win for Philly.

Might take a few years to re-attain their previous level but they'll reach it and become a force in the East for many years.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
he would have got AT LEAST 6.5 on the market, maybe more. We all know someone who have taken a gamble on him.

Under 6 is a very good price. I don't remember his old salary. I think it's the same but I'm not sure.
The price is great if and only IF he stays on the ice this time around. I'm glad he's signed but I will cringe every single time he goes down.

He's not played a full playoff run since I don't know when. Wish I could be excited as many. I could be more excited it another Wiz(ard) is signed.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
A1
Everything is awful

So glad this is done, great price and term. Everyone needs to forget about Wiz, there's absolutely no way he gets re-signed.

I'm wondering if the Habs have the cap room to take the last year of Smyth or Penner's contracts.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Markov clearly isn't the type of guy that likes change. This was pretty much a no brainer for everyone involved.

The amount seems pretty standard considering he likes it here and has had health problems.

The length is a little "surprising" though. I'd have expected 1-2 years but not 3 years. I like it. Fact of the matter is that the habs hopes rest on Markov's shoulders. If he can't stay healthy we're down a star player on D and they don't grow on trees so we need him to be all he can be to be a legit contender. So in the end, 3 years, I like it.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I don't know how much he would make but .. I'll say it again

Konopka.

We sucked taking faceoffs last year .. Konopka took the 2nd most faceoffs on the Islanders last year and had a 57.7% on faceoffs ... he had 25 fights, his faceoff% in his own zone is ridicolous, he had 100+ hits while playing 10mins, etc..

Edit: More stats -- he was 4th in the NHL in defensive 5 vs 5 faceoff wins, 10th in the NHL in defensive zone PK faceoff wins, 300 PIM

In the meantime let Desharnais be 3rd line C
YES! I want him too. And guess what? He's already stated he would love to play for the Habs. He would be the perfect 4th line centre for us. Moen-Konopka-White is one nasty mother 4th line.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
YES! I want him too. And guess what? He's already stated he would love to play for the Habs. He would be the perfect 4th line centre for us. Moen-Konopka-White is one nasty mother 4th line.
And apparently he is a great locker room guy .. Seriously this one is a no brainer for me.

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:00 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Konopka broke the 300 PIM barrier last season (307)!

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Konopka broke the 300 PIM barrier!
He was also top 5 in faceoffs and a hitting machine.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Konopka broke the 300 PIM barrier!
Does that mean you want him or not

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
So glad this is done, great price and term. Everyone needs to forget about Wiz, there's absolutely no way he gets re-signed.

I'm wondering if the Habs have the cap room to take the last year of Smyth or Penner's contracts.
What's the obsession people here have with Penner? He's basically the Big Puff Marshmallow guy from Ghostbusters, on skates

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I largely agree.

In any event, trading one for space made sense some sense. Trading both cripples their forward group. Schenn can't play a serious role right out of junior and Voracek is a compliment not a driver of results like Richards or Carter. Philadelphia's ability to compete in the present has been severely downgraded. And in the future they need to deal with the inevitable decline of their top 2 defenseman.

Schenn's potential is to be Mike Richards. Mike Richards is already Mike Richards and signed long term for very reasonable cap.
I don't see things the way you do. The most significant move Holmgren made was signing Bryzgalov. The second was picking up the draft choices (they'll have 3 in the first round).The third was acquiring the prospects. The fourth was getting rid of Carter's ridiculously long and expensive contract, and that was a real crippler.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't see things the way you do. The most significant move Holmgren made was signing Bryzgalov. The second was picking up the draft choices (they'll have 3 in the first round).The third was acquiring the prospects. The fourth was getting rid of Carter's ridiculously long and expensive contract, and that was a real crippler.
Hum? They only have one pick in the first round...

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
That's the point, if at best your getting Mike Richards, why would you trade Mike Richards for him?
Age, salary, number of years until Schenn reaches UFA status.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I doubt Schenn ever becomes that good, I may be wrong though.

He's not a ****** bag like Richards though.
I know it's only projections, but at the same stage in their career... schenn is a much better player than Richards.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Konopka is a great faceoff guy too.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Schenn's potential is to be Mike Richards.
Says who?? Schenn is an incredible prospect and has a higher offensive ceiling than Mike Richards. He shredded the WHL(a defensive league), compared to Richards, doing slightly worse, in the OHL (offensive league).

Did I forget to mention Wayne Simmonds? He is a monster and a perfect player for philly.... don't forget that 2nd round pick as well

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
.....do you know Carter is only 26 ? Do you know NOBODY other than Crosby/Ovi/Stamkos has scored more than goals in the last 3 years ? Do you know his cap hit is only 5,253M$ ?

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:12 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
That's the point, if at best your getting Mike Richards, why would you trade Mike Richards for him?
There have been rumours about dressing room issues surrounding the Flyers for the last couple of years. Richards sounds like an arrogant ****** - albeit a talented ******. They've split the Carter-Richards party partnership.

It sounds a lot what the Habs did at the end of the 2008-2009 season. That actually worked out well for us. We've made the play-offs 2 years in a row, and went to the final four the first year after that change over.

Schenn is ready for the NHL, at least as a 3rd line centre which is what he will be. Voracek is under-rated. Flyers absolutely won the Carter deal. Pronger will be named team captain, and everyone on that team will finally be on the same page. They now have an NHL goalie. The Flyers will be fine.

So will the Habs now that we have Markov back. Just need to sign Gorges now and our D is starting to take shape.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Throw in the fact that they also acquired Bryzgalov and it looks like a win for Philly.

Might take a few years to re-attain their previous level but they'll reach it and become a force in the East for many years.
By the time the players they acquired reach the level of production the ones they sent out had (and I have doubts that they ever will) they'll be looking for two elite defensemen.

Seems to me they sacrificed a shot at the Cup now for years of above-averageness.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Shadyone33

Decent deal for both sides. Montreal takes most of the risk, they gave up decent term and good money to get Markov who is an ELITE d-man if he is healthy. If he's not, this deal will be BAD for us.

I don't think Markov gave us a hometown discount because considering his injury I would say getting the same money would be excellent. Some might say that he gave a discount by not asking for a raise, but to me...2 years in a row injured with the amount of time missed does not give the player a lot of strength.

Glad he's back, hopefully he stays healthy and hasn't lost a ton of speed due to the knee injuries.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

This should mean no Hammer.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Markov, you got the contract that you were looking for, now you better stay healthy. Please.
or else what? You'll break his legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
This should mean no Hammer.
This post should mean nothing.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:25 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
Decent deal for both sides. Montreal takes most of the risk, they gave up decent term and good money to get Markov who is an ELITE d-man if he is healthy. If he's not, this deal will be BAD for us.

I don't think Markov gave us a hometown discount because considering his injury I would say getting the same money would be excellent. Some might say that he gave a discount by not asking for a raise, but to me...2 years in a row injured with the amount of time missed does not give the player a lot of strength.

Glad he's back, hopefully he stays healthy and hasn't lost a ton of speed due to the knee injuries.
Insurances take care of it if he's not healthy and we can sign another defenceman. But I'm confident Markov will be back to his old awesome self !

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
.....do you know Carter is only 26 ? Do you know NOBODY other than Crosby/Ovi/Stamkos has scored more than goals in the last 3 years ? Do you know his cap hit is only 5,253M$ ?
You read/heard/saw that Carter and Richards didn't prevent the Flyers from being swept by the Bruins. Give Holmgren the benefit of the doubt in thinking that the prospects and draft choices will pay off in the long run. Voracheck, Simmonds, and Schenn look pretty good to me. Besides, signing Bryzgalov required cutting payroll. Now they don't have to get rid of Carle and Versteeg. I think Holmgren acted rationally and looked toward the future.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:27 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
By the time the players they acquired reach the level of production the ones they sent out had (and I have doubts that they ever will) they'll be looking for two elite defensemen.

Seems to me they sacrificed a shot at the Cup now for years of above-averageness.
Timonen is not elite, and they will draft an excellent defensemam with their 8th overall pick this year. They may actually draft another 1 or 2 with the extra 2nd and 3rd round picks they acquired as well. Philly did good today, and so did CLB and LA. They all get closer to where they want to be.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote