HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov back for 3 years @ 5.75mil/year

Old
06-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Fail.
My bad, they got him though.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Are you saying you want Hammer back ?
You are the king of logical deduction. First that dandy about Markov vs Hamr, and then this. Just priceless. I just can't believe I even have to explain myself. Go look at the friggin Hamr thread, read it, read the people who are explaining WHY the Habs are having contract talks with Hamr. Markov and Hamr have been playing on the same team. It's not because the Habs sign Markov that it should mean that Hamr is gone. That's just a ridiculous and simplistic way of seeing life. Again, if you are then gonna retort by saying 'but we already have 7 Ds', just go look at that Hamr thread, there are a lot of answers to that.

Fact is, your post is wishful thinking, as you don't want Hamr back, you see any small sign or link, no matter how insignificant, as a proof that he is gone. But the truth is, PG is having talks with Hamr's agent, so you laugh all you want, I don't even need to question which one of us sees reality for what it is, while the other one just let's his ego run wild and hope it can paint all of reality to fit his heart's desires.

Now as to whether I want him back or not, if you paid a little attention to everything that's been said about the subject, you'd understand the circumstances in which he might be brought back. It's been lenghtly debated, and like many have said, we need a #3, we don't have any, we have space. Getting Hamr all depends on whether or not the team wants to spend more for that D on the UFA market, or take Hamr, and keep the rest of the free space to sign a top 6 forward at a higher amount than if you'd sign a D at 4-5 mil.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:45 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I love the player, I just don't like the length.

I hope the injuries are behind him.
I agree

3 years, fingers crossed

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Pleky Roks

Resigning Markov is great and all....but only if he can come back and play 80 games a season....especially for that money!!

Don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled that he's back, but $5.75 is a lot of money if he continues to miss games due to injury. We need him to be completely healthy and playing his best hockey.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Resigning Markov is great and all....but only if he can come back and play 80 games a season....especially for that money!!

Don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled that he's back, but $5.75 is a lot of money if he continues to miss games due to injury. We need him to be completely healthy and playing his best hockey.
If he gets injured again he'll go on the LTIR and his cap hit will be added as a cushion. No cap issue. FWIW a Habs player has hit the 80+ game mark nine times in the past three seasons.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
bipolarhabfan

Good to see he is back and he took a pay cut considering the cap is going up this season. Hope he stays healthy this year!

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Miller Time

a bit surprised that we didn't get him for a bit cheaper given that he got 3 years, but I am more than happy we have him locked up.

so as of today:

Markov- Subban
Gill- Spacek
Weber- Emelin
Diaz

with Gorges as a RFA that we are most likely going to re-sign, and UFA's Wiz/Hamrlik we can still possibly retain.

interesting to see how the next 10 days play themselves out.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:05 AM
KareyPrice

YES IM SO happy Markov is back if he stays healthy and pk subban and carey price were gonna have some fun years ahead!!

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Gorges is going to be resigned.
He was already told so by the organization.
As for Emelin, he is third behind Markov and PK.

I don't see Markov and PK on the same duo unless PK and PP...
As a frequent lurker here I have to say that your unwavering and constant over-valuation of underdog prospects (particularly Russian ones) never fails to make me smile.
Please don't ever change.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:38 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
a bit surprised that we didn't get him for a bit cheaper given that he got 3 years, but I am more than happy we have him locked up.

so as of today:

Markov- Subban
Gill- Spacek
Weber- Emelin
Diaz

with Gorges as a RFA that we are most likely going to re-sign, and UFA's Wiz/Hamrlik we can still possibly retain.

What shocks me about the cheaper responses is that maybe people have never had knee injuries. I HAVE. TWICE. IT'S BETTER THAN EVER. Wiz did and he came back stronger. If the surgery is successful, that's it. You have a stronger knee. Markov was unlucky twice, but luckily they were "good" injuries. Don't you see, we have a FULLY healthy Andrei Markov once he's cleared.

And we got him CHEAP. He gave us a hometown discount. Because the man has heart and he's a MONTREAL CANADIEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE. I also suspect that he knows that his type of game will give him Lidstrom longevity (or KHL after his current contract - here's hoping he stays... his professionalism has defined this team long before Savard(s), Gainey, Timmins, the scouts, Gauthier, Martin, Julien, Carbo and anyone else was here... he's the quiet heart and soul of this team...that's his role it seems... those of us who played hockey at our fun little levels know these types of guys and how they win championships and set the tone... he's that guy. And we have a few of those guys now, so he's not alone.).

Do you not understand what this man can do? Montreal fans took a LONG time to understand his value, just like they booed Breezy and Hammer for carrying the #1 load when they were #4 guys. Markov was carrying #1 when he was a kid. Now he is probably the best visionary defender out there, or at least as good as Lidstrom has been. Put Markov on Detroit all those years and we'd be talking a different story. He'd be giving as many speeches in Russian than Listrom did in Swedish. He's actually a charming guy if you saw his Your Canadiens episode. There's la foul and there's HOCKEY FANS. In that way he's traded trophies for legend. Because in Montreal, hockey is legendary, and 25 years from now Detroit might not even have a team.

Look at how Tomas Kaberle almost derailed Boston.

We are also lucky in that we already have Subban to replace Markov. But to have Markov AND Subban, and both of them are YOUNG men?????

Markov has not played a lot of hockey in a couple years, AND he has hunger. And he's an intelligent hockey player with vision. It might take him a couple months or even more, but by midseason, he is going to be a machine. He's going to be fresh for a Long Cup Run. Whatever American that watches the next finals on NBC or whatever is going to know the name Markov. Two people mispronounced Lidstrom's name at the awards ceremony this year. Markov will be remembered forever in Montreal.

This is a Stanley Cup BLUELINE. (If we sign Hammer cheap, and get Wiz... we win the CUP)

I think this core can win more than one Stanley Cup. I've been watching hockey since 1978. This is a dynamic group of young men.

I make no apologies. I'm happy.

To Andrei: Don't come back early. Listen to your body. Your injury is capable of healing fully. Let it do that. We are deep.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 06-24-2011 at 02:10 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:41 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Gorges is going to be resigned.
He was already told so by the organization.
As for Emelin, he is third behind Markov and PK.

I don't see Markov and PK on the same duo unless PK and PP...
Emelin have yet to play a single NHL game...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:56 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

he'll either be awesome, or blow his knee and LTIR himself off the cap. so, nice.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:14 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Emelin have yet to play a single NHL game...
If he's caught up ice and makes Gill look bad...

But we should expect to be good enough to spank a "rookie" to the next level. He's loaded with tools.

problem i have is his penalties are soft and frequent. hurt someone or don't go to the box

Markov will probably put a lot of off-practice time in with him. And off-ice too.

The skills are there.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:28 AM
DumFries

Amazing player. Here's to hoping he stays healthy and retires a Hab. I'm pretty sure the organization must have seen him skate and examined before signing him to this deal. At 5.75$ and three years, it's a big risk but not a big cap hit. If he's not injured, this is a great deal for the Habs. If he gets injured, the organization will get rid of picks/players to replace him which will cost the team. Although, the Wiz was not such a bad replacement. Either way, the Habs are doing really well in controlling the cap.

I would say, the Gomez cap hit is what really hurts this team right now. He's useless and untrable. He forces the Habs to keep him on the lineup and not go after better players.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
As a frequent lurker here I have to say that your unwavering and constant over-valuation of underdog prospects (particularly Russian ones) never fails to make me smile.
Please don't ever change.
Its not that much of a stretch. There are reputable guys (not just Craig Button) who see Yemelin as a top-4 NHL caliber defenseman right now.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Finally ready to unveil my new avatar. Hope you people like!

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:16 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
If he's caught up ice and makes Gill look bad...

But we should expect to be good enough to spank a "rookie" to the next level. He's loaded with tools.

problem i have is his penalties are soft and frequent. hurt someone or don't go to the box

Markov will probably put a lot of off-practice time in with him. And off-ice too.

The skills are there.
Not saying he cant do the job... but saying is already 3rd on our team ? come on... lets wait for training camp and see how he does before freaking out!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:19 AM
SB164

Here's some food for thought:

In May 2007, Markov signed a four year contract, at a cap hit of $5.75 million. In June of that year, the NHL salary cap was announced to be going up to $50.3 million for the following season (2007-2008).

Today, shortly before the General signed a three-year contract, at the same cap hit of $5.75 million, the NHL had announced that the salary cap for the 2011-2012 season would go up to $64.3 mil.

If he stays healthy, it's definitely a hell of a bargain.

Last edited by SB164: 06-24-2011 at 03:27 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Here's some food for thought:

In May 2007, Markov signed a four year contract, at a cap hit of $5.75 million. In June of that year, the NHL salary cap was announced to be going up to $50.3 million for the following season (2007-2008).

Today, shortly before the General signed a three-year contract, at the same cap hit of $5.75 million, the NHL had announced that the salary cap for the 2011-2012 season would go up to $64.3 mil.

If he stays healthy, it's definitely a hell of a bargain.
By that, Markov's previous cap hit when signed would be equivalent to 7.35 Million today. Incidently, that's about what I think some teams would offer him in free-agency.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Really glad to have him back. Hopefully, he'll prove the doubters wrong. If he can stay healthy and get back to his former self, it's almost a bargain deal.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:06 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Its not that much of a stretch. There are reputable guys (not just Craig Button) who see Yemelin as a top-4 NHL caliber defenseman right now.
I'd like to be optimistic and say he'd be a top4 on our team before the year ends but I just can't put him ahead of Gorges or even Gill before him having played a single minute for this team. Spacek, for all the hate he gets, is probably ahead of Emelin atm just because of experience (of course this should change pretty quickly).

Emelin is not an 18 year old recruit but this is still his first stint in NA, lets not forget that!

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 06-24-2011 at 04:11 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:14 AM
SB164

High risk, high reward
By Arpon Basu

Ultimately, it appears as though Don Meehan got exactly what his client wanted.

When Pierre Gauthier gave Andrei Markov a three-year contract Thursday at $5.75 million per season, it was very difficult to see it as anything other than an unmitigated victory for Markov and his agent Meehan.

They got the term they wanted and didn't have to give anything back in terms of salary.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'd like to be optimistic and say he'd be a top4 on our team before the year ends but I just can't put him ahead of Gorges or even Gill before him having played a single minute for this team. Spacek, for all the hate he gets, is probably ahead of Emelin atm just because of experience (of course this should change pretty quickly).

Emelin is not an 18 year old recruit but this is still his first stint in NA, lets not forget that!
Oh I agree. I expect he'd start out on the third pairing and work his way up. Much like Subban last season really, but probably not as meteoric of a rise. I'm just saying its not out to lunch to speculate that he could be the 3rd best defenseman signed right now. Gorges is probably higher impact right now though, he's fantastic as a shutdown guy, I think he and Subban will be the go to matchup pairing for a long time, comporable to Markov-Komisarek before injury diminished Komisarek.

What I'd like to see the team build for is next season

Markov-Wisniewski
Gorges-Subban
Yemelin-Weber/Diaz

As an offensively strong defense that can also play shutdown and is beastly on both special teams. Even better with a cheap vet that can play shutdown and sit in the pressbox when not needed (Gill at ~1 million maybe)

Wisniewski is a bit redundant in that scheme, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if he leaves and is adequately replaced.

Old
06-24-2011, 04:39 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

so as of today:

Markov- Subban
Gill- Spacek
Weber- Emelin
Diaz

I strongly think Emelin will play on Markov's right wing.
Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Gorges
Weber

That's my feeling.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:53 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I strongly think Emelin will play on Markov's right wing.
Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Gorges
Weber

That's my feeling.
Emelin will be our 6th or 7th dman, I doubt he'll play with Markov.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote