HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roadrunners moving to Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 08:19 PM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
Great information spaz, thanks for posting! I'm sooo excited about getting the opportunity to catch a few AHL games next year. If I was living in E-town I'd probably pick up season tickets, but I'll make the trek from Calgary to see some games.

I think its going to be rough once the NHL starts up again, but it'll be great to see more players get a shot at a game or two in the bigs. I've always noticed that Philly has been able to sneak a lot of different AHL guys in to their lineup for 1, 2, 3 game stretches and I think it will do wonders for guys like JDD, Lynch, Woywitka, Greene, Pouliot, Schremp, and on and on. Maybe even guys like Winchester and Cullen.

Old
07-23-2004, 08:33 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
An opportunity for cross promotions, 7 double headers scheduled next year, Oilers/Roadrunners on a Saturday. .
I wonder how this is going to work if there is NHL hockey next year. The two rinks are very different, and i'm not sure if you can break down and rebuild a rink halfway through a day to change the line widths and net holes in the ice

Old
07-23-2004, 08:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
I wonder how this is going to work if there is NHL hockey next year. The two rinks are very different, and i'm not sure if you can break down and rebuild a rink halfway through a day to change the line widths and net holes in the ice
I thought of that but I would assume they would give themselves time to get it done. The Oilers ice staff are all very professional and I am sure they can get it done.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon
So does this mean more articles for HF guy? Or does it just mean it will be easier for you to make them?
I don't know about more... I get scolded for writing to much as it is.

It will definitely mean more focus on the roadrunners and it will allow me o interview different players than last year for sure. Platt, Kenny Smith, Deslauriers to name a few.

I'm excited about it.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Zap Brannigan

Any word on how much season tickets will be?

Old
07-23-2004, 10:49 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That's a shame, he did a good job last year. It makes sense that he doesn't want to up-root his family though.
Sounds like Beukeboom wasn't planning on coming back anyways. Too much time away from his family apparently.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Matts

if the city can pull off

attendance figures that can sustain the Runners than maybe there's more to the heartland of hockey deal then just bluster to throw fans off the standings at the end of each season.

I really hope it works because it would be a very cool story

Old
07-23-2004, 10:58 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
attendance figures that can sustain the Runners than maybe there's more to the heartland of hockey deal then just bluster to throw fans off the standings at the end of each season.

I personally suspect EDM is more of a one team town than most think,but i'd be happy to be proven wrong,

Personally I'd probably go to more RR games than Oilers games, on a $$$ and prospect interest basis.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:35 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I personally suspect EDM is more of a one team town than most think,but i'd be happy to be proven wrong,

Personally I'd probably go to more RR games than Oilers games, on a $$$ and prospect interest basis.
I agree speeds. And for the same reasons. I like sitting up high best, but it's cool to see some games from different places in the bottom ten rows too, totally different experience IMO ... and with the Oilers its tough to get those tickets for the good opponents, and when you can manage it its expensive.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix

It's a weird theory he's produced, having an AHL team in the NHL city doesn't work. Unfortunately for him, there's only 1 other organization that shares a city and that's working out very nicely (Philadelphia).
Didn't the Habs have their farm team in Sherbrooke for a while? I thought that tried it and it didn't work for some reason.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Lowetide

This is great for me, especially if they have Saturday and Sunday matinees. I spent over $60 taking my family to Schrek 2 (funny movie) and could easily see going to ten games or so. That's 40 tickets at $20 and I still have almost two thousand to spend on the Oilers.

But I think that's where the Oilers might have trouble. I won't INCREASE the dollars I devote to them, just spend it differently.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding the kids can pay their own damn way through university.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Hemsky4PM

I guess this puts an end to WHL to Edmonton talk...for now. I think the Oilers found it very difficult to entice anyone to sell. And the Roadrunner's situation in Toronto put them in a bind.

On one hand, it's good because I think they may have been able to draw 5000-7000 fans on a regular basis for a WHL team, but will probably get 9000-11000 for the AHL, particularly with the looming NHL lockout.

The Oilers have a lot of faith in the product they can put on the ice. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be willing to pay $15-20 bucks to watch Greene, Pouliot, Niinimaki, Schremp, Delauriers, Dubnyk and Brodziak in the years to come.

The Oilers will have to negotiate broadcast rights with a local station. I think it's a no-brainer that The TEAM will take on that roll for at least this season. I wonder if they will just bring in the play-by-play/colour guys from Toronto (who were actually pretty good) or if they will look to get a new group together. What will happen there?

I personally cannot wait for the AHL to come to Edmonton. I only made it to one Oiler game last year, and that's because Gretzky was playing I plan to get out to at least 5 Roadrunner games this year, and hopefully 10. I'm excited. Hockey is hockey and the AHL is definately the 2nd best hockey product in North America.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:15 AM
GabbyDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
The Oilers will have to negotiate broadcast rights with a local station. I think it's a no-brainer that The TEAM will take on that roll for at least this season. I wonder if they will just bring in the play-by-play/colour guys from Toronto (who were actually pretty good) or if they will look to get a new group together. What will happen there?
with the EIG owning both the Oilers and the Roadrunners, I'll guess that 1260 is shut out of the bidding...just a guess, but I'll pick Cool880AM to be the broadcaster for the Roadrunners - that station has a tie-in into CHED, and gets their overflow programming anyways like the Trapper broadcasts and Dr. Laura in the afternoons...

Old
07-24-2004, 12:41 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
We should all get together and pool our money and get our season tickets in the same row/area, sort of an unofficial HF zone. Although post counts might drop from all the gabbing going on at the game.
I bet there will be a lot of HF posters at the games for sure. Stands to reason anyways ... a lot of prospect watchers and a lot of starving students here too.

Pretty soon the marketting guys should let us know what the deal is. The prices, what kind of mini-paks they have, etc. Hopefully they have their ducks in a row for when the AHL sked comes out in a few days ... because there is a lot of excitement amongst hockey fans about this right now.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:45 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

Matts...you really have to find your pony man. If you won a 5 million dollar lottery you'd complain that it isn't 10.

Don't worry, be happy.

Last edited by Slats432: 04-25-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old
07-24-2004, 05:02 AM
se7en*

What if this is foreshadowing? Someone said on the radio that the AHL in Edmonton is permanent...is it permanent because the owners are selling the Oilers? What if this is their way of gradually letting the idea sink in to the fans?

Or am I being paranoid and should just go to bed?

Old
07-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds

Question: How big is Edmonton in terms of population (city and surrounding areas)?

I am asking because here in Ottawa, people thought it would be the end of the 67's when the Sens came to town but both organizations ended up working together and the 67's usually draw between 8,000 to 10,000 people.

I would think that having the chance to see future Oilers play would be great. Also, AHL hockey is an excellent product. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I always thought the Flyers/Phantoms had a good thing going.

Old
07-24-2004, 07:24 AM
se7en*

990,500 or something like that. I would not be surprised if the metro area had over a million by now, everywhere you look here something new is being built.

Old
07-24-2004, 11:21 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I always thought the Flyers/Phantoms had a good thing going.
One major difference is that the Flyers and Phantoms play in seperate buildings, which alleviates any scheduling issues.

Old
07-24-2004, 11:25 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
One major difference is that the Flyers and Phantoms play in seperate buildings, which alleviates any scheduling issues.
Isn't WEM building an NHL size rink that holds 8000 or so? Or has that been put on hold? Short mentioned it again last night.

That would be ideal IMO.

Old
07-24-2004, 11:37 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Isn't WEM building an NHL size rink that holds 8000 or so? Or has that been put on hold? Short mentioned it again last night.

That would be ideal IMO.
Your right, that would be ideal. They already have an NHL sized rink at WEM, but at present don't have any seating. I don't know if these plans include building another ice surface with seating or just adding the seating to the present ice surface. I also don't have any info on the completion date , but I am sure someone on the boards knows something (maybe Guy F ).

Old
07-24-2004, 11:44 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
Yup, but the ** Centre also is the home to the 76ers and many more concerts and events than Rexall. I can't see scheduling as being that big of an issue.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:07 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Didn't the Habs have their farm team in Sherbrooke for a while? I thought that tried it and it didn't work for some reason.
I'm not sure how close Sherbrooke is to Montreal... I know little about Quebec.

But you can't compare having a hometeam in cities like Edmonton, Toronto, or Philadelphia to Sherbrooke. Though I'm not sure how close it is to Montreal, Sherbrooke has a population of about 75,000.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:13 PM
oilersboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I'm not sure how close Sherbrooke is to Montreal... I know little about Quebec.

But you can't compare having a hometeam in cities like Edmonton, Toronto, or Philadelphia to Sherbrooke. Though I'm not sure how close it is to Montreal, Sherbrooke has a population of about 75,000.
Sherbrooke is 1h and half from Montreal and it has a population of 150,000 but Sherbrooke has never been a big hockey city. The Castors and the Faucons of the Q were always at the bottom of the league in attendance. If every year there is a couple of top prospects going to the RR I'm sure it will be a big success and I think they will stay more than one year in Edmonton.

Closed Thread