HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades and Signings Around the League (Buffalo signs Ehrhoff - 10 yrs/$40 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 08:39 AM
dubplatepressure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Typical Leafs Fan:

Hey, we need a top center but only if we don't have to give up ANYTHING. Everyone is untouchable.
And what - you're better because you've jumped on the mock-leaf-fans bandwagon thinking you're sly comic relief is both riveting and symbolic?

Grow up.

Most leaf fans, contrary to what anyone says on here, do not post on these boards. And most leaf fans know what fair market value is in the NHL.

Makes sense, doesn't it? Both Carter and Richards brought 1st rounder and either young player or prospect, or some variant/cross of the two. So we have to give that too. Does that mean Kadri, Kulemin, our 1st, (++?!).

Like hell it does. Neither Richards nor Carter got that. /done

We have to give to get and people know that. Don't start tossing insults around just because people are uncomfortable giving up Kulemin AND Kadri on top of our picks in a deal. Save us the sanctimonious speeches, we've heard it all before. Just visit the main Trade board.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:51 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

could we potentially get stasny for kulemin. 1 for 1?

Old
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
I very much doubt it. But we may be able to get Stastny for Kulemin + 1st, or something similar.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

vCash: 50
Quote:
I doubt it. He's not fully proven yet IMO.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:04 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 440
Quote:
Nah, we'd have to add

Old
06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Andrew Mack

Please God, just make the picks and continue to build rationally.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
The only person I'd trade schenn for in package is Zachary Parise
I was thinking yesterday when all the trade talk involving the leafs in a big trade that a Schenn, Kadri and MacArthur for Parise and Zajak deal could be the one being mulled over by Burke and may in fact involve their #4 draft pick, this is just something that solves two things Burke was wanting. a #1 center and a Lottery draft pick, of course there would be other pieces involved but it would be big.

Please note- This is not a rumour just something I thought up.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:16 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I was thinking yesterday when all the trade talk involving the leafs in a big trade that a Schenn, Kadri and MacArthur for Parise and Zajak deal could be the one being mulled over by Burke and may in fact involve their #4 draft pick, this is just something that solves two things Burke was wanting. a #1 center and a Lottery draft pick, of course there would be other pieces involved but it would be big.

Please note- This is not a rumour just something I thought up.
Is Zajac really a #1 C? He just seems like a really good 2nd line center, like Stephan Weiss, to me.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Leaf Army

Including Schenn in a deal for Stastny would be absolute lunacy. Schenn is a much, much more unique and valuable player than Stastny.

Stastny scored 57 points last year (which would have put him 5th on the Leafs) and makes $6.6 million bucks. Plus his playoff track record is suspect.

You don't trade special talents like Luke Schenn for that.

I'm not against trading for Stastny but it would have to be a much lower price than what Philly got for Carter or Richards. If anything, at $6.6 million, he should be a bit of a salary dump for Colorado.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
Including Schenn in a deal for Stastny would be absolute lunacy. Schenn is a much, much more unique and valuable player than Stastny.

Stastny scored 57 points last year (which would have put him 5th on the Leafs) and makes $6.6 million bucks. Plus his playoff track record is suspect.

I'm not against trading for Stastny but it would have to be a much lower price than what Philly got for Carter or Richards. If anything, at $6.6 million, he should be a bit of a salary dump for Colorado.
Agreed. If we are looking at taking on that Stastny contract, would not want to give up a ton of assets, also. He'd be the highest paid player on the team. I would rather be patient and wait to see what we have with Kadri and Colborne, than give up a ton for PS.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Is Zajac really a #1 C? He just seems like a really good 2nd line center, like Stephan Weiss, to me.
Yes he is similar to Weiss but with the addition of Parise and the 4th overall pick, that would be a pretty good trade but even if we also went after Richards, Zajak could play 3rd line center, his stats are lower than people may like but playing on a team like the Devils, you never know what his potential really is.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post

Flyers deal yesterday wasn't about equal player for equal player.

Really, it came down to one team getting a top end player (LA) and the other team getting lessor players with some upside. There was a good reason, Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. went in one direction and 1 player went in the other.

Haven't heard enough about Stastny's intangibles, but we have heard about Richards.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Typical Leafs Fan:

Hey, we need a top center but only if we don't have to give up ANYTHING. Everyone is untouchable.
You move to the head of the class! Nailed it.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You move to the head of the class! Nailed it.
Yes, it makes it difficult to make a trade with only one side willing to negotiate.

However, you can still identify untouchables and like the Kings scenario, send multiple pieces of lessor assets to get the best player in the deal.

Richards >>> Schenn
Richards >>> Simmonds
Richards >>>>>>> 2nd. round pick

Schenn+Simmonds+2nd. = Richards

If Leafs offered Kadri+MacArthur+2nd. for Stastny would every say Leafs garbage for another team's best player?

Old
06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Burke needs me

Sens - Leafs

Kadri + 30th overall to SENS

#6 and #21 overall to Leafs

(word is Burke likes Strome with the #6)

Old
06-24-2011, 10:04 AM
TrueBlue86

sens wouldn't do this

Old
06-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Darcy Tucker

Old
06-24-2011, 10:06 AM
topched

Burke needs you to ****.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

We already have a trade thread stickied above, but I'll give this a few minutes here.

Now as for the trade.

Kadri was 7th. overall in a good draft, so perhaps the Kadri for 6th. is close and we know the Sens wanted Kadri.

However, 21st. overall is much better than the 30th. overall.

So although I doubt it would fly at all.

Kadri+30th.+39th.
for
6th.+21st.

I just don't see it happening.

I suppose we also must consider that the Leafs have both eaten up a year of his ELS contract, but also invested a year of time and money into his development. So double edged sword here, is the invested year of greater value than having 1 less year on his ELS contract for the Sens? Anyone have the formula for return on investment of a ELS contract?

Old
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Burke does not need you

Old
06-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yes, it makes it difficult to make a trade with only one side willing to negotiate.

However, you can still identify untouchables and like the Kings scenario, send multiple pieces of lessor assets to get the best player in the deal.

Richards >>> Schenn
Richards >>> Simmonds
Richards >>>>>>> 2nd. round pick

Schenn+Simmonds+2nd. = Richards

If Leafs offered Kadri+MacArthur+2nd. for Stastny would every say Leafs garbage for another team's best player?
We are all Leafs fans here, I think we have to ask ourselves how do we upgrade without tearing apart what Burke has done well which after the Phaneuf trade has been all good.

Schenn is the only viable card we have to play to get a #1 Center. Draft picks are sweeteners, but if the Leafs are to improve we need to make a decision keep Schenn or trade him.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
You're right, but on the flip side, everyone had to see two legitimate top line centers being traded in a span of minutes yesterday. When we've been sitting here for quite some time wondering how exactly that position was going to get filled on this team, I'm sure it was hard for some to witness that, and not run wild with speculation about what might happen here.

Blockbuster fever?
I'm guessing MLSE BOG is hoping their GM is able to pull off deals like these to propel the Leafs up the standings and into the playoffs.

We'll have to wait to see what Burke has up his sleeve, but regardless 2 big #1 centres are off the market and that means the price of others remaining will rise as a numbers of available elite centres deceases. Simple laws of supply and demand rules apply here.

Personally I think Philly messed up because I would have waited until I saw where Brad Richards ended up, and once the free option was off the table, teams desperate for a #1 centre would have upped the anti to acquire Mike Richards.

Last edited by Mess: 06-24-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'm guessing MLSE BOG is hoping their GM is able to pull off deals like these to propel the Leafs up the standings and into the playoffs.

We'll have to wait to see what Burke has up his sleeve, but regardless 2 big #1 centres are off the market and that means the price of others remaining will rise as a numbers of available elite centres deceases. Simple laws of supply and demand rules apply here.
I dont think supply and demand changes here at all.

It's not the FA market.

Who knew that Carter AND Richards were on the block... virtually noone.

There are equal pieces moving back and forth in a trade, people trade their surplus of one asset for what they lack in another area. You just have to find the right match. This doesn't increase or decrease the "supply" of #1 C's. Trades happen when the supply and demands of individual teams match up, not the market as a whole.

The way it seems right now is that Philly is not a "rebuilding" team. They moved their best C's for NHL ready prospects, and young players that have already been successful in the NHL.

The Leafs simply dont match up with Philly as a trade partner. A team they match up more with would be the Avalanche. They're trying to make their core younger, and acquire cap space longterm. Trading them some of the prospects and picks we have for them makes much more sense.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
We are all Leafs fans here, I think we have to ask ourselves how do we upgrade without tearing apart what Burke has done well which after the Phaneuf trade has been all good.

Schenn is the only viable card we have to play to get a #1 Center. Draft picks are sweeteners, but if the Leafs are to improve we need to make a decision keep Schenn or trade him.
Agreed, but did the Kings send Jack Johnson or Drew Doughty for Richards? No, they sent multiple pieces of expendable assets to get Richards.

Schenn not even a NHL player.
Simmonds being replaced by Clifford. Simmonds is also a bottom 6 player with upside.
2nd. rounder.

Point I'm making is in today's environment, money and cap are part of many trades.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I dont think supply and demand changes here at all.

It's not the FA market.

Who knew that Carter AND Richards were on the block... virtually noone.
Actually, quite a few people knew.

Closed Thread