HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Schremp Article

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
Good Schremp Article

"Numbers 99 and 11 are not available. Neither is captain Jason Smith's dressing-room stall. So, when the day comes that Sparky Kulchisky hands you a jersey and tells you where to sit, make a point of saying you've long dreamed of being draped in No. 73 and you had an eye on the folding chair by the dryer all along. "

Here's the link.

Who was the last draftee to crack the lineup immediately? Arnott? Hemsky had a shot, but I can't think of anyone else who stepped in right after getting drafted.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
"Numbers 99 and 11 are not available. Neither is captain Jason Smith's dressing-room stall. So, when the day comes that Sparky Kulchisky hands you a jersey and tells you where to sit, make a point of saying you've long dreamed of being draped in No. 73 and you had an eye on the folding chair by the dryer all along. "

Here's the link.

Who was the last draftee to crack the lineup immediately? Arnott? Hemsky had a shot, but I can't think of anyone else who stepped in right after getting drafted.
I'm getting more and more excited about this guy. Pretty bold statement they make about him being the best offensive talent in this year's draft after Ovechkin and Malkin. If that's the case, the Oilers have the steal of the draft.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I liked Schremp's quip to the reporters. That was good. I respect somebody who is clever when they are cocky.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:19 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
lets see when he plays a game--

in 5 years we will have a nice long discussion about the boy. If I am wrong--I know I will be eating crow--however--if he falls on his face(like I think he will) those who are giving themselves pats on the the oilers backs--I will be posting the comments and shot that have been taken at me. If I am wrong--I will eat crow--and if I am right--I fully expect you all to chow down as well

Old
07-23-2004, 11:27 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark

in 5 years we will have a nice long discussion about the boy. If I am wrong--I know I will be eating crow--however--if he falls on his face(like I think he will) those who are giving themselves pats on the the oilers backs--I will be posting the comments and shot that have been taken at me. If I am wrong--I will eat crow--and if I am right--I fully expect you all to chow down as well
Do you really think we will remember what you said 5 year from now? I don't think people will remember what I said five years from now either.

I for one don't think he is a saviour of the franchise but I do believe his "attitude" problems have been overplayed.

He has a lot of talent and all the scouts agree on that and loves to play. I think he really wants to stick it to his critics and prove them wrong.

I hope he does, whether he does or not will be up to him.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:34 AM
LawnDemon

what kind of sociopath takes notes on what he (and others) have to say on a hockey news group with a plan to reference it in 5 years? you have some issues to work out buddy...

Old
07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
... I do believe his "attitude" problems have been overplayed...
I love that he has an "attitude".
I think our coaches will have fun pushing his "buttons".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
:lol I've missed your drive-bys, LD. :lol

Old
07-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Elvis Lives

Schremp

I want to see Schremp dangling at the rookie camp against guys who are already pros like Woywitka and Lynch. That should be a pretty good indication of where he's at in terms of competing for a job with the Oilers this season.
He's got an attitude. If he's got game, that's not a problem.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark

You go right ahead and have that conversation...if we're not here, start without us.

5 years? I'm lucky to remember what I said 5 DAYS ago. I'll put my wife on the line, she'll back that up.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
theoil

You have to think that the possibility of Schremp making the team out of camp and the likely possibility that there will be no season is causing KLowe to pause and consider before spending a whole bunch of money on a big name centre. One of the possibilities that I haven't seen mentioned so far is that one of Niinniimaki or Pouliot might be available as part of a package for a prospect that is closer. I am thinking of the oft discussed Isbister + to Florida for Weiss idea. Florida gets their prospect back a couple of years younger and a player I understand that they covet. We get a young centre who is ready to play in the nhl at some level and keep the core young and growing together.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
You have to think that the possibility of Schremp making the team out of camp and the likely possibility that there will be no season is causing KLowe to pause and consider before spending a whole bunch of money on a big name centre. One of the possibilities that I haven't seen mentioned so far is that one of Niinniimaki or Pouliot might be available as part of a package for a prospect that is closer.
Or maybe if Lowe thinks Pouliot could make the team out of camp? (Jesse likely needs to recover fully from his injury.) It might be a little scary to have a rookie out of Jrs. as your 2nd line center, but it didn't kill the Bruins last year when Bergeron stepped up, so stranger things have happened.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Wow, that article seemed a bit harsh, doesn't it?
It almost feels like Brownlee is trying to take a jab at Schremp already...

Like he said, you only get one chance to make an impression, do we want Schremp to get a bad first impression of Edmonton and its media?

Old
07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans

Like he said, you only get one chance to make an impression, do we want Schremp to get a bad first impression of Edmonton and its media?
I didn't really think it was harsh... I got the impression Brownlee kind of liked him.

As for not signing a top line center, I feel that even if Schremp and Pouliot were NHL ready (which I doubt personally), it still leaves us without a first line center IMO.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Or maybe if Lowe thinks Pouliot could make the team out of camp? (Jesse likely needs to recover fully from his injury.) It might be a little scary to have a rookie out of Jrs. as your 2nd line center, but it didn't kill the Bruins last year when Bergeron stepped up, so stranger things have happened.
And, of course, all of this has to be figured out in terms of whether or not there will even be a season. Suppose you do sign a Nedved (example) for three years and there is no season. When do those three years start? When they resume or right away? And how does that affect the timing of getting our young guys up here as they progress? I can see why Lowe is not crazy about short term solutions if he believes there is no short term to worry about.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans

You gotta love the way the media feeds stereotypes. Its like they set out to create the rumours they hear. And there is a lot of comparisons to some of the cocky guys that didn't work out but what about Fuhr? Messier? They weren't exactly humble but because they could back it up on the ice the team took the time and trouble to instruct.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Strapping Jocks

Quote:
You gotta love the way the media feeds stereotypes. Its like they set out to create the rumours they hear. And there is a lot of comparisons to some of the cocky guys that didn't work out but what about Fuhr? Messier? They weren't exactly humble but because they could back it up on the ice the team took the time and trouble to instruct.
Actually, the more I read about Schremp and Double D in the media, the more I like both of them. I think the Oilers got a couple of high-potential prospects in this year's draft....

Old
07-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
I agree
You have got to love draft picks like that, vs the tired old safe pick. They are really important steps forward. They do not all work out but the 1/5 that do surly make up the difference.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Digger12

I love this kid.

Star or flop, I honestly care little...it's just gonna be so damn hilarious to see him interact with this team. What a loon.

I'll predict this though...he's gonna be one of those guys that we'll love when he's an Oiler, but we'll love to hate him when he eventually leaves.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
I agree, leave the perceived notions alone and form you own opinion on him as his Oiler career unravels. Its this lack of original thought from the sports media in this town that has led so many fans to excellent sites like Hockeys Future.

Old
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Slats432

This is the pick that everyone said they needed. They need the offensive guy, the scorer, the skill. He could have been picked anywhere from 3-33, and the Oilers took the Best Player Available.

I am with Game 8 and Digger....the pick was astute, and as much as I personally besmurched Pouliot over Parise, I will applaud the Oilers picking Robbie Schremp.

I personally didn't grow up until about 24 years old. At 18, I am sure that Schremp still has maturing to do. With the guidance of the Oilers players and brass, I am certain that Schremp will be a player.

And in 5 years if jumptheshark wants to throw it in my face if I am wrong, hopefully I will be on a beach in Jamaica, too rich to care.

Old
07-23-2004, 02:17 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I love this kid.

Star or flop, I honestly care little...it's just gonna be so damn hilarious to see him interact with this team. What a loon.

I'll predict this though...he's gonna be one of those guys that we'll love when he's an Oiler, but we'll love to hate him when he eventually leaves.
Ya, the media are gonna love this guy even more if he ever makes it to the NHL. :lol This kid is just a Brett-Hull-type quote waiting to happen.

Old
07-23-2004, 03:07 PM
get yer Aivazoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
what kind of sociopath takes notes on what he (and others) have to say on a hockey news group with a plan to reference it in 5 years? you have some issues to work out buddy...
I like the fact that jumptheshark is so confident -- he wants to prove everyone else wrong and our board could use a little more of that cockiness. Er, wait...

Old
07-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by get yer Aivazoff
I like the fact that jumptheshark is so confident -- he wants to prove everyone else wrong and our board could use a little more of that cockiness. Er, wait...

:lol

Old
07-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Oi'll say!

I think this is good advice for Robbie and I don't think it should be taken in a negative way, but at the same time he's probably smart enough to figure that stuff out on his own. He's already gone out of his way to show respect and admiration for the franchise so I doubt he'll be flippin' the bird at Duke or giving Joey Moss noogies.

I like the kid and his huge attitude, I wish we had a bit more confidence when Weight was here. Our coaches were deathly afraid of putting him on the ice against Modano and I think that just drilled an inferiority complex into the whole team.

Old
07-24-2004, 11:33 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Our coaches were deathly afraid of putting him on the ice against Modano and I think that just drilled an inferiority complex into the whole team.
I believe there was good reason for keeping dougie away from Modano. I agree with your overall sentiment though. This team has spent too many years looking grateful for ties. We really need somebody who thinks they are going to score when it needs to be done, not hope they can bang one in on the fourth rebound.

Closed Thread