HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Huge Realignment for 2012/2013 Season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2011, 04:03 PM
  #26
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,410
vCash: 500
what if one division sucks? they still get 4 teams? maybe im just missing something but it seems a very poor proposal.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
  #27
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak
 
Polakdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
He is upset that Canadian teams will be in divisions of 8, while the divisions of 7 will be full of southern American teams. It is a good point - this proposal would seriously hurt Ottawa's chances at the playoffs.
Well, if our main competition will be Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Montreal, I don't think it'll be that difficult to make the playoffs

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:13 PM
  #28
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak
 
Polakdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
what if one division sucks? they still get 4 teams? maybe im just missing something but it seems a very poor proposal.
Same thing like everyone saying "East Sucks" and they win the cup, or the SE sucks, and the Canes win it?

As long as they keep a few strong hockey markets in each division, even if it's Detroit which is it's only good team, there should always be a competitor.

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:47 AM
  #29
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
Wow, that would screw people in the east over, time wise.. I don't want to stay up until 1am that often to watch a hockey game.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
  #30
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoncharKarlsson View Post
Wow, that would screw people in the east over, time wise.. I don't want to stay up until 1am that often to watch a hockey game.
My guess is that they would try to do most of the west vs east games on Fri-Sat, and have an 8-9 start or be afternoon games on Sat-Sun, cause it would equally suck to be in Vancouver and have a bunch of games start before you get off work.

I don't like how they are suggesting the top 4 from each division qualify for the playoffs when the divisions are not balanced. It would need some sort of cross-over system like in the AHL.

I think with some tweaks it could be a better system then what we currently have.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:17 AM
  #31
MikeyMagic
Registered User
 
MikeyMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/06/28/...-for-jets-fans

From reading this article, I don't want the new format. Look at the division were in and only top 4 would make the playoffs. yikes!

EAST
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs

MikeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:20 AM
  #32
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoncharKarlsson View Post
Wow, that would screw people in the east over, time wise.. I don't want to stay up until 1am that often to watch a hockey game.
Being the visiting team isn't meant to appease the fans of the visiting team.

If pissing my girlfriend off for waking her up at 1am when I crawl into bed after a hockey game is the price paid for getting every team into every building once a year, then I'm all for it.

...and I'll never get sick of that pic of Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMagic View Post
EAST
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs
I'm hoping the Wings, Pens, and Flyers get swapped out for the three NYC teams

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:36 AM
  #33
Do Make Say Think
Registered User
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,359
vCash: 144
That would be awesome!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM
  #34
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
I'm hoping the Wings, Pens, and Flyers get swapped out for the three NYC teams
Where would the Wings play? In the Midwest Division? Nashville then is moved to th SE Division?

If I recall correctly, didn't the NHL promise to move the Wings back to the Eastern Conference at some point? If so, the next realignment likely sees Detroit out east.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:09 AM
  #35
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Where would the Wings play? In the Midwest Division? Nashville then is moved to th SE Division?

If I recall correctly, didn't the NHL promise to move the Wings back to the Eastern Conference at some point? If so, the next realignment likely sees Detroit out east.
Since I suggested that they (and Pittsburgh and Philidelphia) be swapped with the three NYC teams, they'd end up in the South Division, which would probably have to be renamed

I find the South division, the way it is being proposed, is rather historically deficient, having only the Rangers, and to a lesser extent the Islanders and Caps, "anchoring" the division. This move would give the South division three strong anchor franchises which would help "legitimize" the division in the eyes of people who still see the Tampas and Floridas of the league as being "out of place".


Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
  #36
JoeSakic
Registered User
 
JoeSakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 500
Agreed, the East would have to be:
NYR, NYI, NJD, Buf, Bos, Mon, Tor, Ott

The kicker is what happens when Phoenix moves to Quebec (hopefully it's Florida but...).

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
  #37
Slippy
Registered User
 
Slippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
If they did, the division names would probably be, Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, Southwest.. But I am also with them to bring back the actual names of divisions
If they're going to a four division league, they should be named:

Adams
Smythe
Patrick
Norris

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
  #38
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMagic View Post
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/06/28/...-for-jets-fans

From reading this article, I don't want the new format. Look at the division were in and only top 4 would make the playoffs. yikes!

EAST
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs

Don't think you can break up Detroit and Columbus, to be honest. I'm not sure if their rivalry extends beyond the grid iron (Ann Arbor and Columbus) but geographically, they're fairly close to each other as well.

Not that I have a better solution, mind you... Looking forward with the proposed realignment.

Also, I'd love it if they went back to the Adams, Norris, Smythe and Patrick divisions but clearly they won't.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
  #39
Slippy
Registered User
 
Slippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Don't think you can break up Detroit and Columbus, to be honest. I'm not sure if their rivalry extends beyond the grid iron (Ann Arbor and Columbus) but geographically, they're fairly close to each other as well.

Not that I have a better solution, mind you... Looking forward with the proposed realignment.

Also, I'd love it if they went back to the Adams, Norris, Smythe and Patrick divisions but clearly they won't.
Sadly agree,, but do we really need geograpical cues as to who is in whcih division.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:36 PM
  #40
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
Adams
Smythe
Patrick
Norris
I bet eight out of ten people who cry over these division names can't correctly guess the first names of the people they're named after.

(and before you try to knock me off my high horse, I got one wrong too )

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:56 PM
  #41
Slippy
Registered User
 
Slippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
I bet eight out of ten people who cry over these division names can't correctly guess the first names of the people they're named after.

(and before you try to knock me off my high horse, I got one wrong too )
You probably didn't realize Norris was named for Chuck.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:59 PM
  #42
TheOneFootedSauce25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: puck
Country: United States
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NHL Rulebook View Post
That picture of Bettman is flattering.
he looks like a ****ing pirate

TheOneFootedSauce25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
  #43
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
You probably didn't realize Norris was named for Chuck.
Honest mistake, I guess

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
  #44
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
Since I suggested that they (and Pittsburgh and Philidelphia) be swapped with the three NYC teams, they'd end up in the South Division, which would probably have to be renamed

I find the South division, the way it is being proposed, is rather historically deficient, having only the Rangers, and to a lesser extent the Islanders and Caps, "anchoring" the division. This move would give the South division three strong anchor franchises which would help "legitimize" the division in the eyes of people who still see the Tampas and Floridas of the league as being "out of place".

I like the re-alignment idea, but it's definitely going to be difficult to place all the teams in four divisions. Then there's the possibility that Phoenix moves, which could create additional problems for re-alignment.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, as most options have their merits. I think for your proposal to work (i.e., the NYC-area teams move to the East Division), Detroit would have to be sent to the MW Division with Chicago, Columbus, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, and Winnipeg. The MW Division would, therefore, ensure some rivalries continue (e.g., Chicago-Detroit-St. Louis) while possibly re-igniting older rivalries (e.g., Detroit and Colorado).

The South would then be Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida, and Nashville. A Pittsburgh-Washington rivalry would be awesome for hockey.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:09 PM
  #45
Lexicon Devil
Registered User
 
Lexicon Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,343
vCash: 500
So basically we would be perpetually in the group of death. Awesome.

I should also point out that the term 'midwest' has no place in hockey.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:10 PM
  #46
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,685
vCash: 500
Jack Adams
Conn Smythe
Lester Patrick..
and is it sad I didn't know it was Jim Norris? lol

__________________
Marty Straka
Twitter: @JT_YosH
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
  #47
trobby
Registered User
 
trobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
I hated the old playoff seeding.
It was great for the 1st round, because of the instant rivalry, but too many bad team (ie: Leafs) would make it based on the weak division.

If they want to make it two divisions per conference, take the top from team from each division, then seed 3-8 based on record (Regulation wins 1st).

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:33 PM
  #48
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Jack Adams
Conn Smythe
Lester Patrick..
and is it sad I didn't know it was Jim Norris? lol
That's the one I got wrong; I thought it was Jack Adams too - it's Charles Adams.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
  #49
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
I hated the old playoff seeding.
It was great for the 1st round, because of the instant rivalry, but too many bad team (ie: Leafs) would make it based on the weak division.
That was because four of five teams (six in the Patrick) were making the playoffs. All Toronto had to do was be slightly less ****** than Minnesota. That won't be the case with four out of seven (or eight) making it.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:44 PM
  #50
Drama
Registered User
 
Drama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ukraine
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Jack Adams
Conn Smythe
Lester Patrick..
and is it sad I didn't know it was Jim Norris? lol
That would be Chuck Norris actually. Nice try though.

Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.