Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Winnipeg AAA Bantam 1 2009-2010 Season

Old
07-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Hockey Stud

vCash: 500
Winnipeg AAA Bantam 1 2009-2010 Season

Thought I'd create a new thread for the coming season instead of using the Winnipeg prospects. Previous standing projections:

From Hockey Stud:
1. Monarchs
2. Hawks
3. Sharks
4. Warriors
5. Interlake
6. Brandon

From Berrcave:
1. Monarchs
2. Warriors
3. Interlake
4. Sharks
5. Hawks
6. Brandon

From smartmbscout:
1. Monarchs
2. Warriors
3. Hawks
4. Interlake
5. Sharks
6. Brandon

Hockey Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Will Goodwin

kudos to Hockey Stud for starting this new thread. my rankings were based on hearing that the Hawks will be losing some players. i think there will be a real battle between the INterlake, Hawks and Sharks for the third spot. I am not sure why some are thinking the Warriors are going to fall back this season. I think they know where they need to improve and are going to pick up a couple of dmen. they will challenge the Monarchs this year.

Will Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Winnipeg Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrcave View Post
kudos to Hockey Stud for starting this new thread. my rankings were based on hearing that the Hawks will be losing some players. i think there will be a real battle between the INterlake, Hawks and Sharks for the third spot. I am not sure why some are thinking the Warriors are going to fall back this season. I think they know where they need to improve and are going to pick up a couple of dmen. they will challenge the Monarchs this year.
Other thread said that the Hawks were just waiting to see that their old coach wasn't coming back and that all players will be returning to tryouts now that he isn't.

I don't know what to expect from Interlake. I know they have Braydon MacDonald. Other than that do they have much depth?

Winnipeg Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Will Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmbscout View Post
Other thread said that the Hawks were just waiting to see that their old coach wasn't coming back and that all players will be returning to tryouts now that he isn't.

I don't know what to expect from Interlake. I know they have Braydon MacDonald. Other than that do they have much depth?
they have some very good players... Derek Mulvena is very good, Garrett Bruce, Scott Miskewicz, Drake Lindsay are top players. they also have some gritty forwards like Lyle Ogilvie, Waylon Neault, Matthew Smith and Spencer Kilbrei. depth will be an issue - esp. on defence - and goaltending but all of these kids are used to playing against bigger older players (rural double age group in bantam) and will be a physical team.

Old
07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Will Goodwin

AA Players Making the Jump

I was wondering what people thought of who the top AA players are who may be making the jump to AAA this year in Winnipeg. the Twins and Rangers were dominant teams last year and have some very good kids. Here is my guess at about 25 kids who could make a AAA team this season. My guess is that there will 2-3 spots available on the Monarchs, 3-4 on the Warriors, 3-4 on the Hawks and 5-6 on the Sharks. Not all of these kids below will want to play outside of their AA catchment but could potentially play somewhere.

RANGERS
Dylan Allary (F)
Tyson Bannatyne (D)
Cole Krisko (F) (will not play AAA)
Carson Krisko (F) (will not play AAA)
Kayden Jarvis (F)
Mitch Hansen (D) (played at the Pursuit Academy in Kelowna last year)
Grady Woodward (D)

TWINS
Jordan Lacombe (D) (will not play AAA)
Nick Stewner (D)
Adam Vander Linden (G)
Brent Berrington (D)
Zach Heisinger (F)
Adam Edwards (F)
Nolan Jackson (F)

CANADIANS
Nick Pappainnou (F)
Zach Chivers (F)
Nick Stire (F)

STARS
Zach Kapusta (F)
Kameron Nault (F)
Mike Marchuk (G)

VICS
Tanner Joseph (F)
Nathan Dumont (F)
Erik Pion (G)
Brett Lernout (D)

RAILCATS
Dustin Fran (D)
Patrick McIvor (D)

MARAUDERS
Riley Hillis (F)

FISHERMEN
?

Old
07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Winnipeg Hockey

In Response to Berrcave
RANGERS
Dylan Allary (F) - Could make the jump. Maybe take away 11th forward.[/B]
Tyson Bannatyne (D) - Will not make Monarchs. Could go elsewhere.
Cole Krisko (F) (will not play AAA)
Carson Krisko (F) (will not play AAA)
Kayden Jarvis (F) - Will compete with Allary for spot.
Mitch Hansen (D) (played at the Pursuit Academy in Kelowna last year) - Will not make Monarchs. Could go elsewhere.
Grady Woodward (D) - Won`t go anywhere. AA.

TWINS
Jordan Lacombe (D) (will not play AAA)
Nick Stewner (D) Will have to shop around out of area.
Adam Vander Linden (G) Could go to Hawks
Brent Berrington (D) Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Zach Heisinger (F) Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Adam Edwards (F) Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Nolan Jackson (F) Won`t go anywhere. AA.

CANADIANS
Nick Pappainnou (F)Will make the hawks
Zach Chivers (F)Will make the hawks
Nick Stire (F)Won`t go anywhere. AA.

STARS
Zach Kapusta (F)Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Kameron Nault (F)Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Mike Marchuk (G)Will be Hawks 2nd goalie if they don`t shop around.

VICS
Tanner Joseph (F)Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Nathan Dumont (F)Won`t go anywhere. AA.
Erik Pion (G)Could be hawks or monarchs 2nd goalie.
Brett Lernout (D) Won`t go anywhere. AA.

RAILCATS
Dustin Fran (D) Could makes sharks.
Patrick McIvor (D)Could make sharks..

MARAUDERS
Riley Hillis (F)Won`t go anywhere. AA.

FISHERMEN
There is noone.

Old
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Canadian10

I believe that Adam Vander linden will have a chance at making monarchs. He is a very talented goalie that can keep his team in games. Otherwise i would agree with everything else Smartmbscout said.

Canadian10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Will Goodwin

Marchak was very solid at AA last year and had a great playoff run. if he doesn't try out that will open a door for Pion, Vander Linden or Dodd to move to the Hawks. i think that Zrobek really struggled at times for the Hawks and they are looking to upgrade there.

also, i think the Hawks will look to pick up a couple of dmen and a couple of forwards - and not sure there are many of these guys available from the Stars, Canadians or Fishermen. it appears Chivers should make it but after that the Hawks may have to pick off some late cuts from the Monarchs.

Look for Bannatyne and Hansen to consider moving there.

Old
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Winnipeg Hockey

I think we can all agree that the hawks will be looking to pick up monarchs & warriors cuts, and the sharks from the monarchs, warriors and hawks.

What factors go into a player making the jump to another team?
Also any predictions where players may go?

Old
07-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Will Goodwin

Quote:
I think we can all agree that the hawks will be looking to pick up monarchs & warriors cuts, and the sharks from the monarchs, warriors and hawks.

What factors go into a player making the jump to another team?
Also any predictions where players may go?
Here are my thoughts - starting with the Monarchs.

Factors are:

1. travel distance to practices etc. Pollock and Plouffe did not like the travel to the Sharks area last year. Ranger kids might be more willing to play with the Hawks and Twins with the Warriors.
2. quality of team - some Rangers and Twins may prefer to play AA over AAA b/c they know they will have a good team.
3. friends - friendships play a huge factor - i can see the Sharks making an offer to several kids from the Rangers or Twins area so that they can car pool and play with some kids they know well.
4. cost - some families will find it tough to pay AAA fees and therefore will not even try out.
5. commitment - some kids play other sports (football, school sports etc) and AAA requires pretty much singular focus. could mean some AAA calibre kids play AA so they can play school sports or even just focus more on school. Jordan Lacombe from the Twins is an example of a a great player who goes to SJR and has a demanding school load and who will likely not even tryout.

Here are some potential players who may not be on the Monarchs team this year that were last year...

Jon Martin (moving to Notre Dame)
Quinn Castelane (10th F on the team last year - hasn't played summer hockey this year - is very small, didn't have much fun last year)
Tyler Dodd (he is in tough making this team)
D-Man - my thinking is that they will make at least 1 change here. Crowley, Johnson & Giesbrecht (rumour has it Giesbrecht wants to play forward this year) will be battling some new kids for the last 3 spots. The other 4 D-men are secure and the other 8 forwards are virtual locks as well.

The AA guys trying out from the Rangers and Twins are as follows (plus/minus a few guys)

RANGERS
Dylan Allary F
Kayden Jarvis F
Beau Zelenewich F
Grayson Schmidt F
Derek Ramage F
Tyson Bannatyne D
Carter Liebzeit G
Marc Tallman G

TWINS
Nolan Jackson F
Zach Heisinger F
Adam Edwards F
Kieren Cairney F
Mack Wills F
Alex Cyrenne F
Nick Stewner D
Brent Berrington D
Adam Vander Linden G
Anthony Melito G

OTHER
Tosh Plouffe F (moving to F from D and over from the Sharks)
Jayden Pollock D (from the Sharks)
Mitch Hansen D (coming over from the Pursuit Academy in Kelowna)

As far as I know the rest of the guys from both AA teams will not be trying out.

So, 17 returning from last year (Miner has to start at Warriors camp, no Martin), 18 AA kids giving it a shot and 3 others - i am guessing at about 35-40 kids to start tryouts.

I think the only kids with a decent chance of making the Monarchs are Pollock, Bannatyne, Allary, Edwards and Vander Linden. I am assuming Miner will be back from the Warriors catchment. Pion could also be in the mix for the Monarchs for the other goalie spot.

in addition to the above I can see several of the others getting invites from the other AAA teams.. Hansen, Jarvis, Zelenewich, Stewner and Berrington. Maybe Plouffe and Castelane as well as any player that played last year that doesn't make it this year.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Will Goodwin

re: Miner and Dodd.

Miner has the reputation as the better goalie and the confidence of the coaches. Dodd is on the other end of the scale - coaches liked Miner better and last year's memory will be pretty strong during try outs.

i can't see Cyrenne having a chance. he has not skated all summer and was already struggling with the pace of the AA game. His advantage was his huge size and good hands but those will not be enough to get him very far in the AAA tryouts.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Will Goodwin

Warriors

here are my thoughts on the Warriors.

the goaltending will remain the same - best in the province leaving Miner and Pion to look for other AAA teams. They will both get picked up.

The forwards are fantastic. Led by Stockl, Laurencelle, Maguire, Goderis, Garrioch, Giesbrecht. Justin Tremblay has moved into the city from the Seine River Snipers team and has a very good chance of making the team. Erik Miller will also be coming back from the Sharks and I think he will make the team as well. This leaves two forwards from last year on the outside looking in. I am doubtful that any of the Vics or the couple of Railcats from Southdale/St.Boniface will crack this lineup at forward.

The defence is what needs some help with the Warriors. Parrington and Pochuk are locks. DePape wants to play forward. Fisher may play with his own age group this year. Crellin is on the slow side and Couvier's first sport is baseball. I think the Warriors are in the market for 2-3 dmen. Dustin Fran has a chance to make this team from the AA Railcats but I see them looking at inviting 2-3 Monarchs area kids to come over and play with them.

Old
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Winnipeg Hockey

With all the potential player moves/pickups that can be made, just have to ask the questions:

What teams will be the most active?
With the Monarchs having the only returning coach, will the other coaches even know
to go out of their areas?

Just looking for some opinion.

Old
07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Winnipeg Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeystick5 View Post
Also it is my understanding that players are not allowed to age advance at the 14yr old level? So Fisher would have to play at his age group. so that leaves a spot there
They can if they played age advanced at b2.

Old
07-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Winnipeg Hockey

Quote:
Hmm thanks for clarifying that. I was under the impression this was not the case due to the fact that it is considered the"draft year", so no age advancing was allowed. Again thanks for the clarification
No problem. Only reason I know is because derlago & mcpherson played up last year. Was a little controversial with the 94s last year.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Will Goodwin

Quote:
No problem. Only reason I know is because derlago & mcpherson played up last year. Was a little controversial with the 94s last year.
i think part of the issue was the both guys had older brothers playing on the B1 team. i think the league would want Fisher to play B2 again this year. Fisher gone, Couvier and Crellin will be challenged. could be 3 new dmen in Warrior land.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Will Goodwin

Sharks

the Sharks should be really improved this year. They gain MacPherson and Derlago up front and will be more agressive at picking up other players from the other areas. They will lose Pollock, Plouffe and likely Miller and also 96 Lindgren. so, there will be at least 2 dmen spots open.

I think the goaltending is secure and for sure Kubas, Keena, Wisniewski will be back.

the defence was

Kubas
Pollock
Plouffe
Edwards
Sabourin
Sigurdson
Minarz

i think there will be at least 3 changes here. Not much on the Monarchs or Railcats. The Marauders best dman was kathryn Moss and i am pretty sure she will not play AAA this year. the railcats have Patrick McIvor. the sharks will be looking to other areas.

the forwards were

Wisniewski
Kraus
Keena
Marsh
Riffel
Stefynyshyn
Benoit
Lindgren
Miller
Templeton

adding MacPherson and Derlago and losing Lindgren and Miller will not be the only changes here. i can see 2 more forwards being invited from AA or other areas. I think Riley Hillis from the Marauders has a very good shot of making this team. i am really looking forward to seeing the Derlago - MacPherson - Wisniewski line

Main and Mayer will be the goalies again this year if they want to be.

so, in summary. the Sharks, in my opinion, will have 3 new dmen and 4 new forwards (at least) this year.

Old
07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Winnipeg Hockey

I agree on most of these comments. It's great in theory,
However the coach must make the moves. Will he?

I think some railcats could crack the lineup

Old
07-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Will Goodwin

Quote:
If there is going to be goalie changes on the Monarchs as you say, and w such amazing goalies at the Warrior camps (you listed 4)...then I can see Dakota Mayer losing his spot with the Sharks goaltender wise.
could be, i do think that Main is #1 with the sharks. so, outside of the Warriors who have 2 #1 goalies, each of the other teams may be looking to upgrade 1 of their netminders. IMO, Zrobek, Dodd and Mayer will have to be very good at camp and Pion, Vander Linden and Marchak have the best shot at playing AAA.

Old
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Will Goodwin

Hawks

i am not sure how many changes will be made with the Hawks... pretty solid team. and some good AA kids from the Stars and Canadians looking to move up.

i can see Chivers and Pappaiannou having a shot from the Canadians and Nault and Kapusta from the Stars. these are all forwards so the Hawks may look to the Monarchs area for a dman or two.

it seems to me that there is a lack of depth at defense except in the Monarchs area.

Old
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Winnipeg Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Goodwin View Post
i am not sure how many changes will be made with the Hawks... pretty solid team. and some good AA kids from the Stars and Canadians looking to move up.

i can see Chivers and Pappaiannou having a shot from the Canadians and Nault and Kapusta from the Stars. these are all forwards so the Hawks may look to the Monarchs area for a dman or two.

it seems to me that there is a lack of depth at defense except in the Monarchs area.
Hawks will make a lot of changes you are right.

Also, look for the Warriors to get in the mix for defensemen acquisitions.

All teams do have weak defense. I wonder which forwards may be offered a spot if they are willing to play D?

Old
07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Will Goodwin

Quote:

All teams do have weak defense. I wonder which forwards may be offered a spot if they are willing to play D?
I agree with this comment. Tyler Garrioch and Cole DePape (Warriors) both played defense last year and both would prefer to play forward. if the Warriors need to upgrade their defense - both of these guys could be asked to play defense full time. I think Dustin Fran (railcats) has a very good shot here. after that maybe Brett Lernout from the Vics. the Monarchs could make it difficult for the other teams by not cutting many dmen until late in the tryouts.

Old
07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Will Goodwin

Brandon

does anybody know who the 95 birth year players with Brandon were last year? i know they had a bunch of 94s but not sure who was who.

Old
07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Hockey Stud

Brandon '95's in AAA last season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Goodwin View Post
does anybody know who the 95 birth year players with Brandon were last year? i know they had a bunch of 94s but not sure who was who.

Here's the ones I know.

Goalies:
Justin Holder
Tyrel heap

D:
Jake Cullen
Logan Bickerton

F:
Jordan Kaspick
Cody Cherepuschak
Jackson Wallis
Jaxon Elmes

'95's called up:
Ryker Batson
Jordan Larocque
Layton Dornn

They're going to have a tough year. The Winnipeg teams destroyed them in the Director's Cup. Hopefully they'll get some decent coaching this year (but don't we all hope for the same?). Any '96's projected to make B1?

Old
07-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Hockey Stud

D-men

Quote:

Maybe Wisniewski should switch to D. Sharks do not have a quarterback and need help back there. Fisette for the Warriors to D?

AA D-men to challenge for spots:

Tyson Bannatyne
Brett Lernout
Frank Daniels
Dustin Fran
Grady Woodard
Shelby Hurlin
David Friesen