HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Pick #15 (J.T. Miller, F)

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the NYR 1st Round Pick? (do NOT vote until player is drafted)
Very Happy 57 20.80%
Somewhat Satisfied 91 33.21%
Neutral 34 12.41%
A little unhappy, but I can live with it 22 8.03%
I'm furious at Slats and Gordie 8 2.92%
I don't know enough to have an opinion 62 22.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
I know that Kreider is rotting away there playing 12 minutes a game. Barely developed from last season to this season.

OHL would have been 10x better for Miller.
You know that Kreider is rotting away at BC. Not every NCAA program deploys their youth/underclassmen the same way, so please don't generalize unless you can provide some legitimate information comparing the tendencies of Hakstol to Jerry York.

This is the kid I wanted so I am happy. He didn't look too happy to be picked by the Rangers right away, but he has been saying all the right things so far so I'm not going to dwell on that. Really glad to have JT and his motor in the stable, and I'm really just happy with the direction this team seems to be heading period. Hard nosed Canadian D, feisty/gritty/competitive American forwards, and Swedes Swedes Swedes filling the gaps. I like it.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Miller just isn’t sure which position he’ll eventually play. He’s been used at all three forward spots, though mainly as a right wing later last season and Miller, a left-handed shot, said he prefers playing right wing to left because he wants to play on his off-side.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

From Andrew Gross' blog

He can play any of the forward spots, thats a great talent to have. He likes to play the off wing, RWer. Great!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I definitely prefer the WHL or OHL for development over the NCAA in general, but I think Kreider's ice time at BC is coloring some opinions about NCAA hockey.
I think a player with his frame/size and who plays his type of game, would be better served learning to play alongside men in the NCAA as opposed to playing against 16-19 year olds where his size would give him an added advantage over the younger and less developed players. NCAA will enable him to develop a more well-rounded game IMHO.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Anyone think he has Lucic capability? I don't see him as much of the aggressive player Lucic is (that is more Biggs, correct?) but his frame and work ethic are great. Versus had his player comparable as Mason Raymond. I'll take that

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:59 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I think a player with his frame/size and who plays his type of game, would be better served learning to play alongside men in the NCAA as opposed to playing against 16-19 year olds where his size would give him an added advantage over the younger and less developed players. NCAA will enable him to develop a more well-rounded game IMHO.
That's definitely a valid point, but the significant increase in the number of games played in the CHL is also an advantage.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
OK, **** it. I'm just going to call him a forward.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Anyone think he has Lucic capability? I don't see him as much of the aggressive player Lucic is (that is more Biggs, correct?) but his frame and work ethic are great. Versus had his player comparable as Mason Raymond. I'll take that
Doesnt have the fists. Dubinsky/Mike Richards/Chris Kunitz

Old
06-24-2011, 10:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Sorry

Old
06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
I know that Kreider is rotting away there playing 12 minutes a game. Barely developed from last season to this season.

OHL would have been 10x better for Miller.

Look at the NHL forwards NoDak has developed in the last 10 years and look at the NHL forwards BC has developed in the last 20 years.

Night and day.

Miller will probably press Kreider if he plays LW. Hopefully Kreider is done celebrating the Bruins Cup victory and grows up a bit to realize he might get passed over very shortly. Kesler left the NCAA after one season. NoDak guys with NHL upside dont stay more than two years.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
That's pretty much what he is. He very well could be a center if the Rangers want him to, but it would take more development to get him there.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's pretty much what he is. He very well could be a center if the Rangers want him to, but it would take more development to get him there.
I'd be happy if he stayed at RW.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

To me, the Rangers took the safe route in this draft. Having no other high picks, they took the kid they think had the best chance at that spot of being a quality NHL player in the future, regardless of role.

Good to know we're continuing to go American and NCAA. Progress of Stepan and McDonagh undoubtedly has been a pro-factor in that.

06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
If this kid can play the puck strong and STAND IN FRONT OF THE NET, I will be more than happy. This team has lacked a Thomas Holmstrom type player.

Note the emphasis on controlling the crease.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
To me, the Rangers took the safe route in this draft. Having no other high picks, they took the kid they think had the best chance at that spot of being a quality NHL player in the future, regardless of role.
Which is a refreshing deviation from the high risk - high reward picks that we've been making in years past. They should be pretty confident that they have a NHL Player on their hands.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:12 PM
chosen

Quote:
To me, "grinder" isn't always necessarily what line you play on, it's how you play the game and what you're capable of. And Dubinsky & Callahan have proven they can be impact players who do a little bit of everything - score important goals, set up plays, forecheck hard and bang, make defensive plays, sacrifice their bodies to block shots, drop the gloves to stick up for a teammate, etc.... The phrase "3rd line grinder" always has a negative connotation to me because it implies a limited game on the player's part... I think a lot of teams, evne the ones with much better depth up front, would skate a player like Callahan or Dubinsky in their Top 6 regardless, because they bring a certain presence out on the ice and might compliment more skilled maybe more finesse players quite nicely.
I am not knocking Dubi or Cally. Like both, but Dubi is doubtful to ever up his offense. Callahan still might, but in a lot of organizations, I don't think they would have risen this far on the depth chart and if the Rangers improve soon, I suspect Dubi will be on the third line. Cally would have a chance at second line, though.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:13 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
If this kid can play the puck strong and STAND IN FRONT OF THE NET, I will be more than happy. This team has lacked a Thomas Holmstrom type player.

Note the emphasis on controlling the crease.
He's has a pretty good net presence.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Which is a refreshing deviation from the high risk - high reward picks that we've been making in years past. They should be pretty confident that they have a NHL Player on their hands.
Exactly. A team full of solid two-players will win us cups and our depth is great. We just need scoring.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
“One year, that’s been a goal for me for a while now,” Miller said. “That would be outstanding.”

In regards to playing at North Dakota.

That's what I like to hear. The kid will be in the pros very soon. He and Kreider may enter at the same time.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Edge

I do have to chuckle. For years people want us to draft and develop a power forward. Now that we draft one, we're not happy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
He's has a pretty good net presence.
Good. This is something Dubi should be doing but he doesn't. I have been wanting this for quite some time now.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I am not knocking Dubi or Cally. Like both, but Dubi is doubtful to ever up his offense. Callahan still might, but in a lot of organizations, I don't think they would have risen this far on the depth chart and if the Rangers improve soon, I suspect Dubi will be on the third line. Cally would have a chance at second line, though.
Under the right circumstances, I could see both Callahan and Dubinsky flirting with the 55-60 point plateau, which I think would be remarkable.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:17 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I do have to chuckle. For years people want us to draft and develop a power forward. Now that we draft one, we're not happy.
It's like the Knicks' fans who booed their draft pick last night.

Just complaining for the sake of complaining sometimes...

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:20 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Ehhh, I think the majority is happy which is a rarity for HF.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Just reading back on the old draft threads, about 95% of you had Miller nowhere near your top players you wanted drafted, now of all a sudden we draft him and everyone wanted him from the start and this was the best pick ever

Those homer glasses came on mighty fast for a few of you..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Its better.

The NCAA means he won't have to linger in the oppressive CHL too long. He can play in the AHL, if that is where he belongs development wise in a year at age 19.

People bashing the NCAA as a development league have likely never watched a single game or know a single coach from any of the universities.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote