HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Pick #15 (J.T. Miller, F)

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the NYR 1st Round Pick? (do NOT vote until player is drafted)
Very Happy 57 20.80%
Somewhat Satisfied 91 33.21%
Neutral 34 12.41%
A little unhappy, but I can live with it 22 8.03%
I'm furious at Slats and Gordie 8 2.92%
I don't know enough to have an opinion 62 22.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Id put the following players on the table...

MDZ, AA, McIlrath, Wolski (if there is any interest, or possibly to make salaries work), that pick, next years pick, and other, better players depending on who we are talking about coming back.

Id look to add a guy like Jarome Iginla, or Shane Doan, or something like that. Impact player, but shouldnt cost near what a guy like Stastny will.

Though frankly, i wouldnt be opposed to going after Stastny AND Richards.
If these Regehr/Kotalik to Buffalo rumors are true, Calgary would seem to be in legitimate rebuild mode and Iggy would likely be on the table. I'd like to believe that Slats is in on that conversation if it is happening.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What about Stepan? You'd skate him on 3rd line or tell one of these guys to play wing???
id skate Stepan on a 3rd line for the next year or 2. let him develop behind those guys, and in ~2 years, id move Richards to wing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2023
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here ever watched him play enough times to have an educated guess on when he will be ready for the NHL and what line you project him to be on?

06-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Iginla? Great player, but how the heck are we going to fit his 7M hit (for 2 years) in by dealing a draft pick and a prospect or a 1.5M player?
hypothetically...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Jarome Iginla ($7.000m) / Brad Richards ($6.000m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)
Steve Eminger ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,004,166; BONUSES: $2,287,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,995,834

assuming yorue talking about something like, MDZ, our first next year, assorted other prospects, picks, etc for Iginla again im not sure what the asking price would be. The 6 mil cap hit is a cap circumventing type deal, you know like 10 years, 60 mil type thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
If these Regehr/Kotalik to Buffalo rumors are true, Calgary would seem to be in legitimate rebuild mode and Iggy would likely be on the table. I'd like to believe that Slats is in on that conversation if it is happening.
i sure hope so. honestly a PP with Gabby, Richards, and Iginla on it really could be special.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I highly doubt that. With the anticipated signing of Richards, Sather would have to send sizable cap hits Calgary's way in any trade. Highly doubt he's going to trade a Callahan or Dubinsky to acquire a veteran forward with declining NHL viability at this stage in the game. That would be a risky and unnecessary move and would not mesh at all with what the organization has been preaching. I'm not saying they won't explore the trade front, because they have stated that they will, but I would bet anything they refuse to deal away young assets for an aging veteran player with maybe a small handful ofyears left on his career. Talk about an excellent way to set yourself up for a set back to your organization, and I know they're fully aware of that possibility.

You guys are killing me here!

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-24-2011 at 11:34 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Miller sounds like a good pick. Have to wonder about his offensive upside having scored only 15 goals last season. Seems quite low, considering guys like McNeil were still on the board who scored twice as many. Does that have more to do with the league they played in?
Can anyone comment on this?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I highly doubt that. With the anticipated signing of Richards, Sather would have to sent sizable cap space Calgary's way in any trade. Highly doubt he's going to trade a Callahan or Dubinsky to acquire a veteran forward with declining NHL viability at this stage in the game. That would be a risky and unnecessary move and would not mesh at all with what the organization has been preaching. I'm not saying they won't explore the traded front, because they have stated that they will, but I would bet anything they refuse to deal away young assets for an aging veteran player with maybe a small handful ofyears left on his career.
2010-11 Calgary NHL 82 43 43 86 0 14 16 0 0 6 40 289 14.88 103
2009-10 Calgary NHL 82 32 37 69 -2 10 11 0 0 5 58 257 12.45 86
2009-10 Canada Olympic 7 5 2 7 5 2 - 0 - 2 0 19 26.32 -
2008-09 Calgary NHL 82 35 54 89 -2 10 22 0 0 4 37 289 12.11 82
2007-08 Calgary NHL 82 50 48 98 27 15 18 0 0 9 83 338 14.79 -
2006-07 Calgary NHL 70 39 55 94 12 13 20 1 0 7 40 264 14.77 -

i dont see a decline in his game whatsoever bro. Iggy still has that ridiculous wrist shot and can play in the trenches with anyone. His contract also isn't long term.

I think ppl need to realize the Rangers have a ridiculous amount of redundant parts, both on the roster, and in the pipeline. Time to start moving some of these pieces for help today.

How to get it to work in the Salary Cap? That's why they pay those guys the big bucks, but im sure you can make it work. Trade Drury to Florida for his cap hit, they basically dont take on much if any real money (Assuming hes willing to waive his NMC) and then your concerns over the summer cap are gone.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
I highly doubt that. With the anticipated signing of Richards, Sather would have to sent sizable cap space Calgary's way in any trade. Highly doubt he's going to trade a Callahan or Dubinsky to acquire a veteran forward with declining NHL viability at this stage in the game. That would be a risky and unnecessary move and would not mesh at all with what the organization has been preaching. I'm not saying they won't explore the traded front, because they have stated that they will, but I would bet anything they refuse to deal away young assets for an aging veteran player with maybe a small handful ofyears left on his career. Talk about an excellent way to set yourself up for a set back to your organization, and I know they're fully aware of that possibility.
Fair enough, but until we see exactly how this whole Drury situation settles out, I'd like to believe that Sather is at least exploring the opportunity. I don't think the Cap Geek scenario Inferno built above is viable over the summer, but if things break the right way I do think it's realistic to acquire both Iginla and Richards and still be under the cap.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

i dont see a decline in his game whatsoever bro. Iggy still has that ridiculous wrist shot and can play in the trenches with anyone. His contract also isn't long term.
He's 34 years old next week. What are you going to get out of him for over 2-3 more years? Enough to warrant losing good young players and/or prospects for a couple years of his services? Think the Rangers need to set themselves up for a limited window to get this done? Why Iginla of all people to make a trade for? Can't we target somebody who's not finishing out the tail end of their prime?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Can anyone comment on this?
Different leagues right? Playing with different caliber of players. I mean, a guy who scores 100 points in the QMJHL is going to be looked at VERY differently than a guy who scored 100 points in the OHL, despite them both being CHL leagues.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
He's 34 years old next week. What are you going to get out of him for over 3 more years? Enough to warrant losing good young players and/or prospects for 3 years of his services? Think the Rangers need to set themselves up for a limited window to get this done?
Can't see them bringing both Iginla and Richads in. Iginla is a stud, but as you point out he's getting up there. I guess you could argue that with both of those guys we could make a run right now...but I just don't see them deviating from the plan right now.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:35 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Are we really discussing Iginla in a thread about JT Miller? Oh, the offseason.

The more I let it sink in, the more I adore this pick. I'm very excited.

06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
He's 34 years old next week. What are you going to get out of him for over 3 more years? Enough to warrant losing good young players and/or prospects for 3 years of his services? Think the Rangers need to set themselves up for a limited window to get this done? Why Iginla of all people to make a trade for? Can't we target somebody who's not finishing out the tail end of their prime?
well, ask yourself this. are you one of those guys who were pissed at the trades that got us the cup in 94 because it may have stopped a potential dynasty? or do you revere that cup the way i do?

i think this team is only 2 pieces away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender. I think Henrik Lundqvists age is starting to, at the very least, become noticeable. I also think drafting at 10-15 every year means we arent going to be getting impact players anywhere else.

Now, if you think we should go after a guy like Stastny, or someone of his ilk and age, i whole heartedly agree. I just think the cost for a guy like Iginla would be WAAAAYYYYY less than a guy like Stastny. Neither option bothers me, but i want them to do something. Im tired of just barely making the playoffs and being run out of it like we have been. to me, the coach is there. the defense is there. the goalie is there. the role players are there. we just dont have the stars to get us there.

Before anyone says the words Boston Bruins, all I will say is, they are the only team in...hell i cant even remember when, without any offensive juggernauts in their lineup. They are the exception, not the rule.

Go get me Richards, and then go get me someone else. ITS MOTHER EFFING TIME SATHER!!!!

Old
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Different leagues right? Playing with different caliber of players. I mean, a guy who scores 100 points in the QMJHL is going to be looked at VERY differently than a guy who scored 100 points in the OHL, despite them both being CHL leagues.
That's what I figured.

Not sure who Nielson is, but doing some research I just came across this:

Scout's Take: "He works extremely hard and moves very well but I think he has a limited upsize. I'm not saying he won't play at the next level but I think he is better suited to be a 3rd liner, not a top six guy. He isn't going to put up big numbers because he just doesn't have the natural finish but he can become a thorn in the sides of opposing teams "

Nielson's Take: I understand what the scouts are saying about JT Miller. If you need a guy who will bring energy, work hard, crash and bang then he is your guy. I just have a hard time believing that you really want to use a first round pick on a guy who's upside is a 3rd liner. If these were simply my individual rankings I don't think Miller would be in the top thirty but the way I put them together he ends up at #18. I could see him sliding into the second round.

Stat Zone: 48gp - 11g - 26a - 37pts - 80 pim

Projection: Third Line Forward

Interesting Note: He is afraid of goats. Not ghosts...goats.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:39 PM
NYRSchrute217

I wanted Bartschi or Puempel, but I like this kid too.

Good player...hard working and has pretty good hands. If he's more consistent I see him developing as a poor man's Kesler. Thinking around 30-35 potential, and at 15 that's all you can ask for.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Are we really discussing Iginla in a thread about JT Miller? Oh, the offseason.

The more I let it sink in, the more I adore this pick. I'm very excited.
yeah, thats my bad, im really more talking about my displeasure with the pick in general (not the player), and what i would rather the team have done...it just sorta spiraled off from there. woops!

Old
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
well, ask yourself this. are you one of those guys who were pissed at the trades that got us the cup in 94 because it may have stopped a potential dynasty? or do you revere that cup the way i do?

i think this team is only 2 pieces away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender. I think Henrik Lundqvists age is starting to, at the very least, become noticeable. I also think drafting at 10-15 every year means we arent going to be getting impact players anywhere else.

Now, if you think we should go after a guy like Stastny, or someone of his ilk and age, i whole heartedly agree. I just think the cost for a guy like Iginla would be WAAAAYYYYY less than a guy like Stastny. Neither option bothers me, but i want them to do something. Im tired of just barely making the playoffs and being run out of it like we have been. to me, the coach is there. the defense is there. the goalie is there. the role players are there. we just dont have the stars to get us there.
Before anyone says the words Boston Bruins, all I will say is, they are the only team in...hell i cant even remember when, without any offensive juggernauts in their lineup. They are the exception, not the rule.

Go get me Richards, and then go get me someone else. ITS MOTHER EFFING TIME SATHER!!!!
Definitely the wrong thread...but what do you mean by that? The guy is still under 30 and just set his career record in shutouts. Hank is in his prime and will be for quite a few years to come.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree with your line of thinking Inferno, and you know I would've rather packaged the pick for a proven asset, but if Miller does become another Dubinsky i'm fine with the pick.

The only real problem I have with it is if we DO sign BR, will Miller be ready to play in the NHL in a 3rd line role while Richards is still a top 1st line center?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
yeah, thats my bad, im really more talking about my displeasure with the pick in general (not the player), and what i would rather the team have done...it just sorta spiraled off from there. woops!
Yeah, I read your last reply but we can shift back to J.T. Miller... I think you will be singing a different tune and liking this selection, 2-3 years out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree with your line of thinking Inferno, and you know I would've rather packaged the pick for a proven asset, but if Miller does become another Dubinsky i'm fine with the pick.

The only real problem I have with it is if we DO sign BR, will Miller be ready to play in the NHL in a 3rd line role while Richards is still a top 1st line center?
Head over to Andrew Gross' blog. He's got info on that. Miller has been playing all 3 forward positions and most recently RW. If they say he's really "come on" lately, and he's been at RW and feels comfortable there, let him stay there. I'm sure Rangers would prefer that as well.

Old
Synergy27

Quote:
He's 34 years old next week. What are you going to get out of him for over 2-3 more years? Enough to warrant losing good young players and/or prospects for a couple years of his services? Think the Rangers need to set themselves up for a limited window to get this done? Why Iginla of all people to make a trade for? Can't we target somebody who's not finishing out the tail end of their prime?
I think you're convincing me, but it's a tough concession to make. I haven't really thought about what the price (assets) for Iggy would be, and if I'm being realistic I'm sure it would be something that would be hard to swallow.

Bottom line for me, and also an attempt to get back on topic, is that I really like this Miller pick and it got me excited about the Rangers future. I should probably calm down a little, eh?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Same name as the guy in Saving Private Ryan - this will be a win.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:47 PM
ColonialsHockey10

1. I like the pick a lot. I would have preferred McNeill, but I have been a fan of Miller.

2. Please do not compare to North Dakota to BC. Hell, just look at the players that have come from the perspective leagues. BC in 2010 was led by Atkinson, Whitney's, Cary, etc while Wisconsin was led by Stepan, McDonagh, Smith, Goloubef. Now please look at where these guys were drafted. And don't give me the whole "well look which team's more successful" talk, because we all know you're not a fan of any of these NCAA teams. The WHCA develops way more NHL players then Hockey East, and Miller is going to be receiving a lot of ice time.

3. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this guy, but let's wait a little before we label him a 3rd liner, or at best 2nd liner. 2 ppg during the U18 is great, and they said he played his best hockey during the 2nd half. Regardless, he's going to fit perfectly with this group of players. Our team is going to be made of pure winners in due time.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 06-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.
ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Yeah, like i said, the kid himself, Miller, seems like a good fit for this team, this coach, and the direction we are going. I just dont think he's what this team needs today, right now. I think we needed to move this pick. but, what can you do.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post

Good player...hard working and has pretty good hands. If he's more consistent I see him developing as a poor man's Kesler. Thinking around 30-35 potential, and at 15 that's all you can ask for.
I want to hear more about his defensive game... I think that's one element that people tend to neglect when evaluating our selection against their expectations as far as offensive production is concerned. I like well rounded forwards who play both ends of the ice. In my book, strong defensive play certainly compensates nicely for any offensive shortcomings.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Definitely the wrong thread...but what do you mean by that? The guy is still under 30 and just set his career record in shutouts. Hank is in his prime and will be for quite a few years to come.
what i mean is, at 24, you dont really think to yourself, "how many Vezina caliber years does this guy have left in his tank?"

At ~30...you do. He may have 8 or 9 more years, in which case it doesnt matter. He may also only have 3 or 4 years left, in which case, it DOES matter.

I mean, we are the Rangers.. with our luck we'll finally have an elite defense, an elite offense, but our goalies knees will be shot and he wont be able to stop a beach ball. i really hate being a Ranger fan, it makes me so effing pessimistic lol