HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Pick #15 (J.T. Miller, F)

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the NYR 1st Round Pick? (do NOT vote until player is drafted)
Very Happy 57 20.80%
Somewhat Satisfied 91 33.21%
Neutral 34 12.41%
A little unhappy, but I can live with it 22 8.03%
I'm furious at Slats and Gordie 8 2.92%
I don't know enough to have an opinion 62 22.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I want to hear more about his defensive game... I think that's one element that people tend to neglect when evaluating our selection against their expectations as far as offensive production is concerned. I like well rounded forwards who play both ends of the ice. In my book, strong defensive play certainly compensates nicely for any offensive shortcomings.
yeah, he seems like hes more well rounded than some of the other players available, or even some of the ones taken ahead of him.

If we were going to draft someone, this is the kinda player im ok with since no real home run type players were on the board (for example, Cam Fowler, or Alexei Cherepanov)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Id put the following players on the table...

MDZ, AA, McIlrath, Wolski (if there is any interest, or possibly to make salaries work), that pick, next years pick, and other, better players depending on who we are talking about coming back.

Id look to add a guy like Jarome Iginla, or Shane Doan, or something like that. Impact player, but shouldnt cost near what a guy like Stastny will.

Though frankly, i wouldnt be opposed to going after Stastny AND Richards.
Inferno, I agree 100%.

Some moves are pretty rare, and if you look at the deadline and the last handful of days, you wonder if it really was impossible for Slats to be in on the action. Brent Burns, Eric Johnson and co are names that come to mind.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
So who's this JT Miller?

I usually know alot more but I wasn't really into this draft cause of the weak pool. At least I'm not pissed like I was last year cause I hated the McIlrath pick...well not pissed yet anyway [I'll leave it at that cause I don't wanna start McIlrath fight # 12,568,903,487]

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
yeah, he seems like hes more well rounded than some of the other players available, or even some of the ones taken ahead of him.

If we were going to draft someone, this is the kinda player im ok with since no real home run type players were on the board (for example, Cam Fowler, or Alexei Cherepanov)
Agreed, and given the circumstances I'd much rather select a player with a strong probability of being some degree of a contributor at the NHL player than take a risk on a more riskier player with a higher upside, but less probability to pan out. Rangers have some uncertainty with the McIlrath selection and their perceived time frame for his development, so I think this is the safe pick for the organization, and one that meshes well with the type of team/identity they are trying to construct here. Physical, can skate, competes and works hard, and defensively responsible. It's a good fit this player pans out.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:00 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree with your line of thinking Inferno, and you know I would've rather packaged the pick for a proven asset, but if Miller does become another Dubinsky i'm fine with the pick.

The only real problem I have with it is if we DO sign BR, will Miller be ready to play in the NHL in a 3rd line role while Richards is still a top 1st line center?
Miller should be on the 2012-13 team. He only wants to play one year at North Dakota.

The US Developmental Team does a great job getting forwards to be NHL-ready.

I too would be fine with another Dubinsky. And to answer your question, yes Miller should be in the NHL while Richards is still an elite center. I look at the 2012-13 or 2013-14 team like this:

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Thomas
Miller-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Boyle?-Zucc/Grachev/Weise?

And I'm fine with that.

Quote:
I want to hear more about his defensive game... I think that's one element that people tend to neglect when evaluating our selection against their expectations as far as offensive production is concerned. I like well rounded forwards who play both ends of the ice. In my book, strong defensive play certainly compensates nicely for any offensive shortcomings.
Well as we know this team needs more offense-first forwards. Miller is being compared to Mike Richards and Brandon Dubinsky already, two excellent defensive forwards. Now I doubt he's Selke-worthy like Richards but his offensive production would be a major steal at 15 in a weak draft.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Inferno, I agree 100%.

Some moves are pretty rare, and if you look at the deadline and the last handful of days, you wonder if it really was impossible for Slats to be in on the action. Brent Burns, Eric Johnson and co are names that come to mind.
eh im not really interested in defenseman. i know ppl love Burns and stuff, but to me the Rangers need help up front. Their D is just fine to me. Go Get me Stastny. Go get me Rick Nash. Go get me Iginla. Go get me someone like that. an IMPACT player. if hes young and in his prime, we gotta give up more, if hes older and aging, a-la Iginla, then we give up less.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:04 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
I'd imagine he'll be like Callahan. Some guys think the game incredibly well, which allows them to be smart defensive players (anisimov), while the majority of them are successful defensively because they bust their ass and do whatever it takes. That seems to be Miller's description, so I have no doubt he'll be a solid defensive player.

Forwards that can play the PK are very nice to have, but it's an incredibly overrated commodity, and most forwards are capable of doing it. If a forward really cannot play on the PK, it says a lot about their character and effort level.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:04 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
eh im not really interested in defenseman. i know ppl love Burns and stuff, but to me the Rangers need help up front.
Same... Despite whatever offensive shortcomings we have on our blueline, I like those guys back there and that they play a strong defensive game and are physical. If we are trading away any assets, it better be for a forward only please and nobody who's on the wrong side of 30.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:12 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
We should ice two forwards and three d-men. ****, just have a rover at all times.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Same... Despite whatever offensive shortcomings we have on our blueline, I like those guys back there and that they play a strong defensive game and are physical. If we are trading away any assets, it better be for a forward only please and nobody who's on the wrong side of 30.
except for iginla

Old
06-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We should ice two forwards and three d-men. ****, just have a rover at all times.
reinvent the game. i say go with a 4-1. 4 men in on the attack at all times, with Marc Staal playing 60 minutes a night.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Ola

I like the pick, the kid can skate well, he seems to be good at getting involved etc.

Hopefully we get a player, if we get a 3rd lineer it's a good pick.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I am late to the party (was out at a concert) but all I can say is:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This kid is the total package.

1. He is a warrior. An absolute fierce competitor who approaches they game with a sense of tenacity that is unmatched in this draft class.

2. He is defensively proficient and plays an all-around game. It is cliche, but he will definitely play in the NHL, even if he is a 3rd line center.

3. Buuuuuuuuut his offensive upside is ridiculously underrated. He has the speed, he has the shot, and he has the brain. He absolutely has Kesler-like offensive upside.

I have been touting this kid for weeks and am STOKED that he will wear blue. Congrats JT, and HF get on board because he will be a fan favorite in no time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Miller sounds like a good pick. Have to wonder about his offensive upside having scored only 15 goals last season. Seems quite low, considering guys like McNeil were still on the board who scored twice as many. Does that have more to do with the league they played in?
Different leagues, yes. Stats always have to be considered in the context of the league in which a player plays. But beyond that, Miller's Under-18 US Developmental Team is a different beast altogether.

It's essentially an all-star team that "barnstorms" playing against amateur teams, including USHL junior, college & international teams, preparing for world championships. The USHL they mostly play against is the top junior league in the US, but it's a cut below the major junior Canadian Hockey Leagues. However, whereas a typical Canadian junior team may have a small number of good players on its roster who receive the bulk of ice time, the USD Team must dole out ice time relatively equally to its collection of all-stars. It's rare, if ever, that you'd ever see a Developmental player score as much as the top Canadian juniors.

A junior team's objective is to win as many games as possible to finish atop of its standings. A pro prospect like McNeil playing in the WHL thus would get much more ice time than the majority of his teammates. Miller, on the other hand, will share ice time with his teammates relatively equally as his coaches try to prepare the team for the World Championships.

I don't know who will become the better scorer in the NHL, but simply comparing their stats from this past season won't give me the answer.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:56 AM
pavelich

i didn't know much about miller before tonight but have a feeling like i had about stepan, not on draft night, but after the u.s. wjc win. i thought to myself this guy just captained the wjc winners and we got him in the 2d round!
tonight the tsn guys kept talking about this or that canadian draftee that played well in the recent u18 world championship. miller led the u.s. team in scoring and they won the tournament!

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:04 AM
gravey9

This kid has "it." Natural leader. He may not become an elite offensive player, but he's very assertive and aggressive. He skating, he's shot. Everything this kid does, he does hard. And he interviews pretty similar to Derek Stepan. Again he may only score 20-20 in this league. But this EXACTLY the kind of player that you need to build a winner. He's got Cally, Dubi, Stepan, McDonagh, Kreider written all over him.

When I'm ready to have a kid I want Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton picking out which of my swimmers gets to the egg.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
So how would you guys rate the pick?

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
So how do you guys rate the pick?

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:32 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
So how do you guys rate the pick?
Solid B.

With a mid-round pick in a so-so draft we got a guy who should be able contribute to the Rangers. Whether as it's a 2nd or 3rd liner remains to be seen, but I find it very hard to believe he wont play for the big club.

Possibly could have swung for the rafters with a higher reward pick. but there's obviously more risk involved and without the 2x2nds it probably wasn't a good idea.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:37 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Our team is going to be made of pure winners in due time.
This is something that is rarely mentioned when talking about our system, but IMO it is huge. You can't teach or develop that type of personality.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Solid B.

With a mid-round pick in a so-so draft we got a guy who should be able contribute to the Rangers. Whether as it's a 2nd or 3rd liner remains to be seen, but I find it very hard to believe he wont play for the big club.

Possibly could have swung for the rafters with a higher reward pick. but there's obviously more risk involved and without the 2x2nds it probably wasn't a good idea.
agreed, at first I wanted Armia but I am starting to really like this pick. I just wish he would play Juniors instead of NCAA

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:03 AM
eco's bones

Very solid pick. I was thinking McNeill but also wondering if it would be Armia or Biggs. Those guys all went soon afterwards. Miller deserved to be in the mix with all of them. Hopefully he turns out to be a Kesler type. Rangers will probably have him back to New York for a few days of practice and p.r.

Rangers 1st round--Tim Erixon and J. T. Miller. North Dakota has been an excellent program for a long time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:11 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Different leagues, yes. Stats always have to be considered in the context of the league in which a player plays. But beyond that, Miller's Under-18 US Developmental Team is a different beast altogether.

It's essentially an all-star team that "barnstorms" playing against amateur teams, including USHL junior, college & international teams, preparing for world championships. The USHL they mostly play against is the top junior league in the US, but it's a cut below the major junior Canadian Hockey Leagues. However, whereas a typical Canadian junior team may have a small number of good players on its roster who receive the bulk of ice time, the USD Team must dole out ice time relatively equally to its collection of all-stars. It's rare, if ever, that you'd ever see a Developmental player score as much as the top Canadian juniors.

A junior team's objective is to win as many games as possible to finish atop of its standings. A pro prospect like McNeil playing in the WHL thus would get much more ice time than the majority of his teammates. Miller, on the other hand, will share ice time with his teammates relatively equally as his coaches try to prepare the team for the World Championships.

I don't know who will become the better scorer in the NHL, but simply comparing their stats from this past season won't give me the answer.
Thanks for the informative post.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
agreed, at first I wanted Armia but I am starting to really like this pick. I just wish he would play Juniors instead of NCAA
North Dakota is a good program for a young player to go to. He'll get a chance to earn some real ice time and play against older competitors. Juniors could help him develop his offensive game a little more but I think he'll be fine with either route, considering the school. Either way, I kind of get the vibe that he'll go whatever route the Rangers prefer, he's a hockey player before anything else.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:34 AM
eco's bones

He is afraid of goats at the petting zoo.

http://rangers.nhl.com/draftprospect....htm?dpid=9480

Last edited by eco's bones: 06-25-2011 at 03:39 AM.
eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote