HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lindros to Oils?

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Mxpunk

vCash: 500
Lindros to Oils?

Not much background, but Stan Fischler of Fox Sports & MSG Network says in one sentence that the Oilers are interested in Lindros...

Here's the link:
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/2593248

Old
07-23-2004, 11:08 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
If he could be had at an affordable salary, I'd be interested too. He and York have played well together and a Smyth-Lindros-York line could do some damage. I'd probably prefer Lindros over Allison.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Bohologo

This reinforces my impression that Stan Fischler continues to hate the Oilers.

Old
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
how about this line

York Lindros Izzy
York does all the work and is the glue and Lindros and Izzy spend half the season on the IR

Old
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
There's always the "he won't want to play here" clause.

Honestly, why would an elite player not want to play here? They would be afforded the respect they deserved and treated as a King.

Unless they become an Arnott or Comrie.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:20 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
There's always the "he won't want to play here" clause.

Honestly, why would an elite player not want to play here? They would be afforded the respect they deserved and treated as a King.
Unless they become an Arnott or Comrie.
That's exactly why. They're treated like they're God's gift to hockey and it goes strait to their head. Eventually they start to think they're too good for the team and go elsewhere, where they play worse for much more money (Poti, Comrie, Carter, Guerin, etc.).

Old
07-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Bob Mooseknuckle

It really bothers me to hear players say, 'I want to play for a contender'. In the last three years we have seen 3 surprise teams go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Two of them lost in 7 games. Also, Minnesota had quite a run two years ago. Wouldn't this say that almost every team is a condtender? I think of Edmonton as a contender too. We don't look it on paper, but hockey isn't played on paper.

There are alot of "ifs" for Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup this year, but Tampa Bay had alot of "ifs" before they won as well. Every team does. I really do believe we can be a contender in 2005. Maybe Lindros is the right person to be our first line centre. I question his commitment to a team game though.

Quote of the Day: Ten strong field horses could not pull an empty baby carriage if they worked independently of each other.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Stanley
It really bothers me to hear players say, 'I want to play for a contender'. In the last three years we have seen 3 surprise teams go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Two of them lost in 7 games. Also, Minnesota had quite a run two years ago. Wouldn't this say that almost every team is a condtender? I think of Edmonton as a contender too. We don't look it on paper, but hockey isn't played on paper.

There are alot of "ifs" for Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup this year, but Tampa Bay had alot of "ifs" before they won as well. Every team does. I really do believe we can be a contender in 2005. Maybe Lindros is the right person to be our first line centre. I question his commitment to a team game though.

Quote of the Day: Ten strong field horses could not pull an empty baby carriage if they worked independently of each other.
I look at things the exact same way you do, especially with the shift of power starting to switch over in the West lately.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:11 PM
theoil

I would hate to have Lindros here. Old news and somebody elses baggage. Build with youth and patience. If we can't wait for our own trade for somebody in the 22-24 year range.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Bob Mooseknuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
I look at things the exact same way you do, especially with the shift of power starting to switch over in the West lately.
This is why just making the playoffs (1st to 8th anywhere) is all that matters. There are contenders for the President's Trophy for sure. I don't think we have a chance in hell of winning that this year, but in a 7 game series we can beat anyone - and anyone can beat us.

I think the Oilers need a boost to their PP. Everything else looks to be in place based on last year. I'd love to see them pick up a legitimate first line centre who will help the PP, but not if this guy thinks he is bigger than the team.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't get where this "bigger then the team" is coming from! He was carrying that Ranger team on his back and keeping them half close nearly by himself before he got hurt. If you want to worry about Lindros, worry about the soft head, don't worry about him not being able to be a team guy.

07-23-2004, 12:34 PM
LawnDemon

the only idea worse than Lindros in Oiler silks is/was Tucker in Oiler silks... and it's a narrow margin.

Old
07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
copperandblue

Since I don't seem to have any of my own opinions today, I figure I will pass on what I recall from yet another interview I heard. This one was about a month ago with Lowe.

They were talking primarily about Nedved but when the topic contingency plans came up Lowe was asked about Lindros and the fact that Lowe had inquired a few years ago.

Lowe said that a few years ago when he inquired it was simply a case of due diligence on his part and that he feels an obligation to inquire on almost any opportunity out there. Irregardless of how serious he can get about it.

When he was asked about Lindros as a contingency for Nedved, he actually didn't sound to flattering of the guy. Obviously I'm paraphrasing and going off memory but as I recall, some of the comments were along the lines of;

Before the Oilers were to consider getting serious with talking to lindros, Eric was going to have to decide what kind of player he wanted to be, what kind of commitment he was going to make to a team, what his goals were as a hockey player....

That was basically the mood of the reply (if not the exact content). I definately got the impression that - at this moment - Lowe is not convinced that Lindros is the player he was nor that he can be that player again.

He didn't dismiss it altogether but he sure didn't sound convinced that he would consider him as an option.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Strapping Jocks

I much more prefer the other player suggested in the second Edmonton-based rumour in the article:

"Newlywed beauty Veronica Varekova may be the one who talks hubby, Petr Nedved, out of returning to Edmonton.
Accustomed to Manhattan nightlife, Veronica will view Alberta like the North Pole. Los Angeles is more like it. If Nedved goes, Kevin Lowe may aim for free agent Mike Nylander."

Nylander also performed very well with the Bruins after the trade deadline, and was a machine in the playoffs.

Stumpel was my other suggestion a week or so ago before the Nedved to LA rumours heated up.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:20 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
the only idea worse than Lindros in Oiler silks is/was Tucker in Oiler silks... and it's a narrow margin.
I agree!

Allison and Lindros are both injury prone, but I'd rather have someone recovering from whiplash than a concussion as far as injuries go. I also think Allison has been the better player and is a better fir for our team, despite his footspeed.

Ideally I'd like someone homegrown though, and if a lockout lasts for a full year, maybe a Pouliot, Schremp or Niinimaki will be ready by then.

Please - no Lindros and no Nylander.

Old
07-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I would hate to have Lindros here. Old news and somebody elses baggage. Build with youth and patience. If we can't wait for our own trade for somebody in the 22-24 year range.
Before Schremp was drafted, I would definitely agree. But now... I think the Oilers should look for a top line centre aged 29-33 to keep the Oilers competitive and in the hunt for the next several years. About time before the kids come in: we have three Oiler prospects all slated to be 1st/2nd line centres: Niinimaki, MA Pouliot and Robbie Schremp. I hope that at least one of the three will reach the NHL and achieve that potential, its just a matter of waiting until they develop in several years.

Old
07-23-2004, 02:18 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
we have three Oiler prospects all slated to be 1st/2nd line centres: Niinimaki, MA Pouliot and Robbie Schremp.
This raises a question for me.

When talking about 1st or 2nd line players, as we all have about the three mentioned, it is done so believing that they qualify as such because of superior talent to rest of the prospects.

Now if you hope that they are solid 1st or 2nd liners (meaning not a Horcoff who can fill in at #2 but is better suited as a 3 or even 4) you want them not only to fill the role but put significant enough of points to make him a go to guy. That suggests to me that they simply have to be a cut above the rest.

So how long should it take for them to grab a spot realistically?

Every once in a while guys will say maybe they can grab a spot this year. Then to be cautious most people step back and say 2 or 3 years. However when you look at a guy like Rita who was slated as a solid number 2 he has managed to lose the faith of most people because he has taken too much time.

If these guys are truly #1's or 2's then is it that unrealistic to see Pouliout really challenge this year for a spot and Schremp by next training camp? And if they can't challenge for a spot in that time frame then does it mean that once again we may be overvaluing these guys?

I can't, off the top of my head think of too many guys that became solid #1 or 2 centers that didn't show something in short time from being drafted.

Old
07-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Allison and Lindros are both injury prone, but I'd rather have someone recovering from whiplash than a concussion as far as injuries go. I also think Allison has been the better player and is a better fir for our team, despite his footspeed.
Please - no Lindros and no Nylander.
Just as a side note. Here in LA, Allison was first diagnosed as suffering from a concussion because of the whiplash. He was experiencing headaches and fatigue. Now, his agent is just calling it whiplash (probably to attract more teams). I still think Allison has post-concussion syndrome. When he tried to return, he ran into Stumpel in practice and was sidelined again....

I think Allison is a GREAT player...when healthy. I agree with Mackey that the Oils should continue with the youth and not spend money on old questionable guys (i.e. Dopita, Oates).

Old
07-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I agree with Mackey that the Oils should continue with the youth and not spend money on old questionable guys (i.e. Dopita, Oates).
You just think that because you want the Kings to make the playoffs ahead of the Oilers!

Old
07-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
This raises a question for me.

When talking about 1st or 2nd line players, as we all have about the three mentioned, it is done so believing that they qualify as such because of superior talent to rest of the prospects.

Now if you hope that they are solid 1st or 2nd liners (meaning not a Horcoff who can fill in at #2 but is better suited as a 3 or even 4) you want them not only to fill the role but put significant enough of points to make him a go to guy. That suggests to me that they simply have to be a cut above the rest.

So how long should it take for them to grab a spot realistically?

Every once in a while guys will say maybe they can grab a spot this year. Then to be cautious most people step back and say 2 or 3 years. However when you look at a guy like Rita who was slated as a solid number 2 he has managed to lose the faith of most people because he has taken too much time.

If these guys are truly #1's or 2's then is it that unrealistic to see Pouliout really challenge this year for a spot and Schremp by next training camp? And if they can't challenge for a spot in that time frame then does it mean that once again we may be overvaluing these guys?

I can't, off the top of my head think of too many guys that became solid #1 or 2 centers that didn't show something in short time from being drafted.

I don't know the answer but I would look at comparables like Doug Weight, Jason Allison, Mike Ribiero and even Mike Comrie to see how they fared after drafting. None of the three are outright allstars but are solid 1/2 centremen.

Old
07-23-2004, 04:25 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I don't know the answer but I would look at comparables like Doug Weight, Jason Allison, Mike Ribiero and even Mike Comrie to see how they fared after drafting. None of the three are outright allstars but are solid 1/2 centremen.

See and with each of those guys, they all saw NHL action (albeit some quite limited) within the first two years of being drafted. As best as I can tell anyhow.(although Weight and Comrie came via the NCAA route which prolonged things a bit)

I wouldn't expect the guys to step in a rack off a 50 point season but there is part of me that thinks they should at least show enough in limited opportunities (or even up with the club but not necessarily producing) in the next year or so.

Old
07-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
See and with each of those guys, they all saw NHL action (albeit some quite limited) within the first two years of being drafted. As best as I can tell anyhow.(although Weight and Comrie came via the NCAA route which prolonged things a bit)

I wouldn't expect the guys to step in a rack off a 50 point season but there is part of me that thinks they should at least show enough in limited opportunities (or even up with the club but not necessarily producing) in the next year or so.

While reading this thread I was actually starting to think of the exact same thing. If Kevin Lowe cannot sign a legitimate scorer to play centre for the Oilers on the first line, why not give someone like Pouliot or another youngster a chance to show what he can do? I mean, if we are left with settling for someone like Nylander or Stumpel or Damphousse, are we really that much farther ahead? If Lowe can't get a big name UFA then what have we got to lose? I'm not saying that Pouliot or any other Oilers prospect can put up the kind of numbers that Arnott did as a teenage rookie, but how do we know? If we can't get Nedved, Allison or Zhamnov, I wouldn't mind seeing what the Oilers youngsters can do.

Old
07-23-2004, 08:28 PM
jlockhart89

i would much rather have Allison then Lindros, Lindros' head is jello after all his injuries and i think he is more prown to injuries now then allison, he's a cancer in the locker room , and everywhere he has ever played his father has been an idiot thinking he runs the show.

Old
07-24-2004, 11:51 AM
SerbianEagle

Why not Zhamnov? Everyone is talking Lindros, Allison, Stumpel, Nylander... as backups if Nedved doesn't sign. Zhamnov is the most talented of the group and still isn't signed. If he could be had for 3-4M per year I'd be all for signing him.

Hemsky - Zhamnov - Dvorak

That IMO would be one exciting line to watch.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
Not much background, but Stan Fischler of Fox Sports & MSG Network says in one sentence that the Oilers are interested in Lindros...

Here's the link:
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/2593248</FONT>
The oilers and every other team are interested--right up till the time comes to ask

'Gee--how long before he gets concusion number 9'?

Closed Thread