HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ottawa interested in Gaborik

Old
06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Alvvays
Marle **3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzy8 View Post
We can battle back and forth about heart but this coming from the team has has one of the biggest knobs in hockey (Avery)
Yes, and Pittsburgh won a cup with Matt Cooke playing major minutes.

What's your point?

06-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Playing the nicest city card isn't fair. We have middle class living and a really big skating rink, so there.

Gaborik would be a great pickup for Ottawa but we don't want to trade what it'd take to get him.
I can't comment on the city because I haven't been there, but I'm going to Ontario next week.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Ugh, want no piece of Gaborik anywhere near the Sens. He's injury prone, and had a terrible year last year. No effort at all..

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Ugh, want no piece of Gaborik anywhere near the Sens. He's injury prone, and had a terrible year last year. No effort at all..
Agreed.

Although I like the guy and hope he does well with NYR.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
SteelCitySenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
And Rundblad and Cowen are unproven prospects who couldn't even make a piss poor defensive team. Gaborik would be 1st on your team in scoring anyways.

Tell me if Gaborik is injury prone, what does that make Spezza, who's missed more games than Gaborik the past two seasons.
Its comments like this that make me think some people on here dont really follow how hockey works. Its called DEVELOPMENT. They didnt even have Rundblad try to make the team.

Calling your prospects up as early as possible just to get them in an NHL jersey will slowly turn your team into that perennial 6-10 place team that never seems to move...

...like the Rangers now that I think about it.

SteelCitySenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
x2. If Gaborik ended up on this team, I'd be crushed.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
x2. If Gaborik ended up on this team, I'd be crushed.
lets say Gaborik returns to form next year with a good center. Scored 42 goals again (not out of the question, he did that with mediocre centers two years ago for the rangers), you would be crushed? Or HAVE A CRUSH on the guy.

Come on now. Sometimes these things get out of hand and silly. Ottawa is an up and comer. That make you happy? The rangers.. well.. leave my rangers alone! Lol

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
gotmonte

anyways, we will know within the next two hours

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
lets say Gaborik returns to form next year with a good center. Scored 42 goals again (not out of the question, he did that with mediocre centers two years ago for the rangers), you would be crushed? Or HAVE A CRUSH on the guy.

Come on now. Sometimes these things get out of hand and silly. Ottawa is an up and comer. That make you happy? The rangers.. well.. leave my rangers alone! Lol
I'm not saying Gaborik is not a talented guy. But at the price we'd have to pay and the HUGE risk involved, it's really a deal that could set us back even further.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
He had a terrible year but I've never seen him backcheck and play the body as much as he did last year. He knew he wasn't able to put up the numbers (injuries, no chemistry with the Rangers "first" line players, etc) so he tried to to make up for it any way he could. The big scoring went AWOL, but the guy was playing hard for the team.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNightmareLong View Post
Its comments like this that make me think some people on here dont really follow how hockey works. Its called DEVELOPMENT. They didnt even have Rundblad try to make the team.

Calling your prospects up as early as possible just to get them in an NHL jersey will slowly turn your team into that perennial 6-10 place team that never seems to move...

...like the Rangers now that I think about it.
Ottawa blew there chances with Heatley, Alfie, Havlat, Hossa, Redden, Spezza, Chara, etc in their primes, no cups at all. I doubt Ottawa will get anywhere fast in their division as the Leafs, Sabres and Bruins have much better assets going forward.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Ottawa blew there chances with Heatley, Alfie, Havlat, Hossa, Redden, Spezza, Chara, etc in their primes, no cups at all. I doubt Ottawa will get anywhere fast in their division as the Leafs, Sabres and Bruins have much better assets going forward.
Spezza is just now entering his prime. He's ****ing awesome.

We got to the Finals in '07 and the EC finals in '03 and had one of the most stacked teams assembled post-lock-out in '06 but unfortunately Hasek went down in the Olympics. Obviously no Cups is disappointing but I'm pretty happy with what we accomplished.

As far as the team moving forward, we have Spezza surrounded by a few "older" young forwards with upside like Michalek, Foligno, Regin (bad year for him but he was awesome against Pittsburgh the year before), Da Costa, and Butler. This past first-round was huge as we just added Zibanejad, Noesen, and Puempel to a prospect forward group that didn't have much beyond Silfverberg, Petersson, and (maybe) Mark Stone. I think these guys will profit from being around Spezza and Alfredsson.

On D we have Karlsson who had 45 points in 75 games on an abysmal offensive team as a 20-year-old D-man, and who led the team in scoring for a good portion of the year. Apart from him we have David Rundblad who just put up 50 points in 55 games as a 20-year-old defenceman in one of the best men's leagues in the world, who won the SEL Norris, and who subsequently played on Sweden's World Championship team. Then we have Jared Cowen who had 18 goals, 48 points and was +44 in 58 games in the WHL and who then was an instrumental part of the Binghamton Senators' Calder Cup run. Behind them depth-wise is Brian Lee who started to come into his own this season, Patrick Wiercioch who put up a PPG as a college freshman but struggled a bit in his transition to the pros, Eric Gryba, and Mark Borowieki. These guys have potential mentors in veterans Chris Phillips and Sergei Gonchar.

In goal, we have a reasonably young Craig Anderson who looked fantastic in his brief time here (albeit with no pressure). More importantly, he takes pressure off and reduces the need to rush 19-year-old goalie prospect Robin Lehner, who posted a .940 SV% and won the AHL Conn Smythe backstopping Bingo to the Calder Cup. A feat done by Carey Price and Patrick Roy. His father was Lundqvist's goalie coach. Anyway the future looks pretty bright for him.

We could stand to draft another goalie but even after trading 2 seconds to move up to get Puempel we have 8 more picks in this draft including at 61 and 65. Murray has also been quite good at nabbing prospects from college - we'll see how they pan out but it's never a bad thing to add to your prospect pool.

The team itself is not very good - although we have quite a bit of cap-space should we decide to pursue free agents - and we're probably looking at a lean year next year and perhaps the year beyond. Hopefully leading to a guy like Galchenyuk to add to our forward group. But I think we don't really have any holes in our prospect corps at this point and that's something to be excited about. Not saying we're better than x team as far as the future; just looking at the team as it is.

Actually I like the young talent the Rangers have amassed but I'm still concerned that there's an onus on building through free agency and not all of those big acquisitions have really worked out. Drury, Gomez, and Redden for sure. Gaborik was awesome in '09-'10 but you knew he had injury problems when you signed him and it kinda came back to bite you this past year.

Anyway we're both looking towards the future and obviously Ottawa doesn't have/isn't willing to part with the assets needed to acquire Gaborik at this point. I don't think that means we need to have any animosity towards each-other.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:06 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Pffffttt.

A Minnesota fan spreading dirty rumours

I see what you did there

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:25 AM
tony d
Giant Doctor

If he was healthy then yes I'd want Ottawa to get him but as talented as he is his injury history is not flattering.

06-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Synthetek

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
This will never happen, can we close this thread?

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote