HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 12:00 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Ok, to all the people saying trade Brassard. Why? They WANT Vermette at wing. You think Johansen can play the 2nd line in the NHL in his FIRST YEAR? Come on, I mean by my username you can tell Brass is my guy. But unless we get fricken Luke Schenn (Just name that was off the top of my head, don't kill me Toronto lurkers.) for him why move him? Center has finally become a strength of this team at the NHL level, and trading Brassard would make it go from 'great' to 'pretty good'

Id be more open to trading Pahlsson.. Although he won't net as much, and having a guy like him once you get in the postseason is a big bonus.

I'd like to take our shots at UFA D first before exploring trades for Dman. Sure, we would have to overpay. But we have $$ and management finally seems to have loosened the chain off Howson.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:30 AM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
Swtichin' it up

DEFENSE TIME!

SO... ideally we need TWO more defensemen.

IDEAL SITUATION - we get a top pair, (A) elite two way defensemen who can work the powerplay and play top minutes ES/SH as well... (B) and we need a top four as well, but if we get that 1-2 guy, that is not AS imperative

Possibilities (A): Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Pitkanen, Wiz, Jovanovski, Salo
B: White, Preissing, Vandermeer, Eminger, Alberts, Ericsson, Hale, Kronwall

i think we can get at least one of these A or B and possibly both... So, while my IDEAL would be Ehrhof or Pitkanen and White, Ericsson, Kronwall or Eminger... I'd say it's a crapshoot as to who we sign, so I'll refer to them as UFA A and UFA B

D Under Contract : Tyutin, Methot, Clitsome, Russell
Possible Rookies: Moore, Savard, Holden
UFA: Hejda, Stralman, Lepisto - Only hejda may return
Possible D In Majors: Tyutin, Methot, Clitsome, Hejda, Russell Moore/Savard/Holden, 2 UFA

Tyutin/UFA A (Ehrhoff/Pitkanen)
Methot/(UFA B/Hejda)
Clitsome/Russell

OR

UFA A/UFA B
Tyutin/Clitsome
Methot/Russ
Savard or Moore or Holden

Now THIS is fantasy land.. not much room to go on here!

Old
06-26-2011, 12:40 AM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Ok, to all the people saying trade Brassard. Why? They WANT Vermette at wing. You think Johansen can play the 2nd line in the NHL in his FIRST YEAR? Come on, I mean by my username you can tell Brass is my guy. But unless we get fricken Luke Schenn (Just name that was off the top of my head, don't kill me Toronto lurkers.) for him why move him? Center has finally become a strength of this team at the NHL level, and trading Brassard would make it go from 'great' to 'pretty good'

Id be more open to trading Pahlsson.. Although he won't net as much, and having a guy like him once you get in the postseason is a big bonus.

I'd like to take our shots at UFA D first before exploring trades for Dman. Sure, we would have to overpay. But we have $$ and management finally seems to have loosened the chain off Howson.
AMEN BROTHER!

EXACTLY ! spot on! etc etc...
Carter, Brassard, Vermette, Johansen, MacKenzie, Pahlsson... we have a GREAT group of centers! And yes we WANT vermette on wing! Vermette and Brassard can play Line 2 with Vermette taking draws and Brass playing Center otherwise... Brassard is ALREADY at his age a legitimate 2nd line center! When Johansen develops in these coming years, we will have centers comprable to the center depth Philly had before Global Mind **** Day for Philadelphia.

Seriously... in 3 years time, imagine our center pipeline dynamtic trio of Carter, Brassard and Johansen! We'll have the wings to fill out three scoring lines a la the Flyer Eastern Championship team of last year. Also, this is similar to the Pittsburgh Cup Winning mold of three strong centers...

edit - and we'd have the wings to fill it out too... AV, RJU, Calvert, Kubalik, Atkinson, Nash

Last edited by MephistoIV: 06-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old
06-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Think outside that box.... I don't care if you put XXXX in that slot. If you are going to play hypothetical, list the plus/minus, changes you would make. You don't have to have the replacement player, unless you want to appease Viqsi...
I want to make it totally clear that each and every one of you has only one task of true importance when participating on this message board, and that is to appease me.

Since pretty much every possible D trade has gone kablooie, I'm just holding off on rosters for the time being and hoping we get some skill - ANY skill - on the blueline in July.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-26-2011, 01:11 AM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I want to make it totally clear that each and every one of you has only one task of true importance when participating on this message board, and that is to appease me.

Since pretty much every possible D trade has gone kablooie, I'm just holding off on rosters for the time being and hoping we get some skill - ANY skill - on the blueline in July.
Hey I'd realllly appreciate it if you read my long post on the previous page where I list my two favorite options from my original five + elaborations, +/-, possible changes and other thoughts . I did it with you and blah in mind! As well as other things in mind, but nonetheless!

the final outcome for me was deciding that I think our forward corp is solid. I'd like to get Upshall back, but I havent included him as he is not back yet... and here was this outcome. But PLEASE read the entire post. It has two line options + lots of commentary and a couple edits with BONUS INFO!

Without further ado - I refer you to the previous page of the post I just described and present Mephisto's final (pending further feedback edits) hypothetilines!

(Scoring 1) Juice/Savior/Nash (18 minutes w/ adjustments for special teams)
(S 2) Vermette/Brassard/RJU (16) - w/ Vermette taking some FO's
(Checking) Dorsett/SP/Kubalik (13)
(S4) MacKenzie/Johansen/Calvert (13) - w/ DMac and RJ swapping C duty

Old
06-26-2011, 01:15 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MephistoIV View Post
AMEN BROTHER!

EXACTLY ! spot on! etc etc...
Carter, Brassard, Vermette, Johansen, MacKenzie, Pahlsson... we have a GREAT group of centers! And yes we WANT vermette on wing! Vermette and Brassard can play Line 2 with Vermette taking draws and Brass playing Center otherwise... Brassard is ALREADY at his age a legitimate 2nd line center! When Johansen develops in these coming years, we will have centers comprable to the center depth Philly had before Global Mind **** Day for Philadelphia.

Seriously... in 3 years time, imagine our center pipeline dynamtic trio of Carter, Brassard and Johansen! We'll have the wings to fill out three scoring lines a la the Flyer Eastern Championship team of last year. Also, this is similar to the Pittsburgh Cup Winning mold of three strong centers...

edit - and we'd have the wings to fill it out too... AV, RJU, Calvert, Kubalik, Atkinson, Nash
Not only Carter, Brass, and Johan. But also Chaput and Lynch.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:18 AM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Well, yeah, but they are not proven yet. Loads of potential, but Nikita, Nikolai and Gilbert also had loads of potential.

Regardless, the future is bright for our centers. God I never thought I'd say that. I think Howson deserves a round of applause. And a slap in the face that screams "NOW ADDRESS THE DEFENSE SCOTTY!"

Old
06-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Personally, I want RJ to - at least at first - learn alongside RJ. That is, Johansen learning alongside Umberger. But that's just kind of a fantasy thing.

Also, Arniel's comments on Mayorov the last time he was up lead me to believe that Mayor just might make the team next year. Crazy as it may sound, I think he'd do better on a checking line than Kubalik.

I don't see why Juice on the first line is a negative. The only real upgrade on him that would likely work well with either of Nash or Carter would be a healthy Hemsky. Our best UFA possibility along similar lines - Tanguay - just got extended by Calgary.

I very much do not like the idea of Calvert and Johansen on the same line. Calvert had a crazy shooting percentage going for him earlier, and folks expecting him to just take off in the top-6 make me worry; it'd be like assuming we have no blueline skill issues 'cause we resigned Clitsome. Still like what he can do, but I'd rather he stick to it as part of a third scoring line. Preferably one anchored by a vet like Vermette, but with Jake's loss that's going to be awkward to do.

For that reason, I'd actually like to pick up a top-6 winger in FA as well. Grabbing both Jokinen and Pitkanen would make me very happy indeed.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:04 AM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Personally, I want RJ to - at least at first - learn alongside RJ. That is, Johansen learning alongside Umberger. But that's just kind of a fantasy thing.

Also, Arniel's comments on Mayorov the last time he was up lead me to believe that Mayor just might make the team next year. Crazy as it may sound, I think he'd do better on a checking line than Kubalik.

I don't see why Juice on the first line is a negative. The only real upgrade on him that would likely work well with either of Nash or Carter would be a healthy Hemsky. Our best UFA possibility along similar lines - Tanguay - just got extended by Calgary.

I very much do not like the idea of Calvert and Johansen on the same line. Calvert had a crazy shooting percentage going for him earlier, and folks expecting him to just take off in the top-6 make me worry; it'd be like assuming we have no blueline skill issues 'cause we resigned Clitsome. Still like what he can do, but I'd rather he stick to it as part of a third scoring line. Preferably one anchored by a vet like Vermette, but with Jake's loss that's going to be awkward to do.

For that reason, I'd actually like to pick up a top-6 winger in FA as well. Grabbing both Jokinen and Pitkanen would make me very happy indeed.
Hmmm... In that case, unless we put MacKenzie on the second line, yes we would need a top 6 ufa... but I'd still prefer two defensemen UFAs, because I don't mind RJ being tutored by MacK.

But if we have three scoring lines, the typical idea of a "top 6" is not exactly still applied as we'd have a talent distribution equivalent of our "top 6" through our " top 9 ".

Also... w/ RJ and Calvert on a "3S" line... they'd get the BEST matchups... a la Chimera/Brass/Jake's 3S Line 4 that took off.

The only thing I can think of to address your concerns, besides adding a top 6 ufa winger, is this, which has Calvert in the "top 6" but my comments on that are my justification... and I think RJU and Brass could cover for Calvert's shortcomings.

Huselius/Carter/Nash
Umberger/Brassard/Calvert
Vermette/Johansen/MacKenzie
Dorsett/Pahlsson/Mayorov
Boll, Kubalik

Vermette and D Mac ease RJ into his role and help w/ FOs

Last edited by MephistoIV: 06-26-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old
06-26-2011, 04:18 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
And now Jenner too.

If Vermette really go to the wing, Pahlsson with Brassard will not traded and Upshall will not resign, so my lines:

Huselius--Carter--Nash
Calvert--Brassard--Umberger
Vermette--Johansen--Majorov
MacKenzie--Pahlsson--Boll

IMO Jared is better than Dorsett.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Swtichin' it up

DEFENSE TIME!

SO... ideally we need TWO more defensemen.

IDEAL SITUATION - we get a top pair, (A) elite two way defensemen who can work the powerplay and play top minutes ES/SH as well... (B) and we need a top four as well, but if we get that 1-2 guy, that is not AS imperative

Possibilities (A): Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Pitkanen, Wiz, Jovanovski, Salo
B: White, Preissing, Vandermeer, Eminger, Alberts, Ericsson, Hale, Kronwall
The A list I like save for Salo (Jovo meh). The B list I don't like and think a better approach would be to try and get that guy via trade.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Matt Rust

Old
06-26-2011, 08:13 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I wish James Wisniewski I hope we get him, please.....

Methot, Wisnievski
Tyutin, Savard/Moore/Goloubef (the camp will show)
Russell/Lepisto, Clitsome

if we get more good d-men I would be happy but I doubt it. I do not think Hejda is a solution for us.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Also... w/ RJ and Calvert on a "3S" line... they'd get the BEST matchups... a la Chimera/Brass/Jake's 3S Line 4 that took off.
If we do that, then I'd want to trade for someone like Cogliano, 'cause much of why the Goat Line took off like gangbusters was because of how Chimera could force folks to create space for Brass and Jake to play in.

(Honestly, I'd love to pick up Cogliano and Gilbert anyways, but I'm quite aware that the very suggestion of an Edmonton trade makes half this message board start screaming in horror and breaking out in hives. That and I'm equally certain that if I go to the mains asking about such, they'll try to throw in Gagner as justification for asking for The Johan and I'll subsequently run out of matches with which to set all the idiots on fire.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
The A list I like save for Salo (Jovo meh). The B list I don't like and think a better approach would be to try and get that guy via trade.
Honestly, I don't see anyone on the "B" list who would be better than what we've already got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
He has been of late, but given DD's playoff performance I want to give him a few more chances.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
And now Jenner too.

If Vermette really go to the wing, Pahlsson with Brassard will not traded and Upshall will not resign, so my lines:

Huselius--Carter--Nash
Calvert--Brassard--Umberger
Vermette--Johansen--Majorov
MacKenzie--Pahlsson--Boll

I like this version of your lines, but I still prefer mine. I <3 Maxim too, but I feel you are biased based on your love for him. Someone said previously in the thread (blah or Viq, I think) that comments by Scott (Arniel, I think) hinted that MM could lkely play w Pahlson this year. I also think MacKenzie is a better fit with RJ Jr. So i'd swap them.There is also the concern of Calvert on line 2, but with three scoring lines those concerns become less important.

I also think Boll has more scoring potential than DD, but I think DD is a better checker than Jared. I'd rather have Pahlson have steady, stable linemates, so two out of Kubalik, Mayorov, Dorsett and Boll, in my optimal world, would play on SP's wings consistently. I think Kubalik is best placed on a scoring line, but given the possibility of Upshall's or a UFA wing addition, I think Kubalik ends up being healthy scratch for the scoring lines, while one of the other three possible checking line wings ends up being the Checking line scratch.

I'd like Mayorov/Pahlsson/Boll. Dorsett in that spot is a great checking line too.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Subtracting Jovo and Salo leaves us with... Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Pitkanen and Wiz. I strongly feel Van will keep one of the two, and given the Bieksa resigning rumors, I'd wager he stays... so

A: Ehrhoff, Pitkanen or Wiz.

Either three would be a perfect end to our offseason (providing we get a backup goalie who can also start and win.

You say the B list is not an upgrade, and, well I don't really disagree that much. And then we can also focus on just getting one of our "A" guys.

Of the "B" guys, however, I do think Eminger and Ericsson would be legitimate upgrades. White to a lesser extent. The rest, yeah... it's a wash. I think that IF Hejda is brought back, we only go for an "A" player. If not, I see a trade, as you mentioned, or possibly Ericsson or Eminger.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Monk

I'm unsure why Mayorov is making it into so many lineups.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
From a Rotoworld fantasy dispatch:
Quote:
2011/04/04: Coach Scott Arniel was impressed with Maxim Mayorov during his recent five-game stint with Columbus. Mayorov had a goal in five games and was solid defensively. "He's proven to himself he can play at this level," Arniel said. "Max has always wondered what he is - is he a goal scorer or a checker? He knows clearly now what we want him to be next year. He's going to be battling for a bottom-six forward spot. He played that role well for us." He's worth keeping an eye on during training camp. (Source: Columbus Dispatch)

Old
06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Monk

Quote:
From a Rotoworld fantasy dispatch:
Hmmmm. I remain skeptical.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I was impressed with Mayorov last year and I hope he gets a good shot at grabbing a spot in training camp. Unlike certain other Russian prospects of ours (who I said I didn't want to hear about anymore), Mayorov has put in his time and seems to have done what was asked of him.

It became more apparent that he likely wouldn't snag longterm top 6 duty, and I like that he seemed to realize that and work on his all-around game so that he makes a decent bottom 6 option right now.

Again, a kid like Mayorov has at least earned the right to be given a fair shot to make the team next year, depending on how he arrives at training camp, even if it is as the 13th forward.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
MephistoIV

I tweeted Porty my idea of lines and he replied saying that Juice has to have the puck on his stick too much for Carter and Nash and that because of this he sees Vermette netting the RW spot on the #1 line... O_o

Nash/Carter/Vermette or Nash/Vermette/Carter
Huselius/Brassard/Calvert
MacKenzie/Johansen/Umberger
(Mayorov/Kubalik)/Pahlsson/(Dorsett/Boll)

Last edited by MephistoIV: 06-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 08:10 PM
DougKnowsBest

i think portys wrong

carternash needs someone to play with. someone that can play at that level and will be a creator for the finishers. i also think mr portzline is underestimating juice's need to be in a supporting role. i think he turtles when he is headlining a line, works better playing off of someone else... i think

i cant even make a stab at the dlines and i have no guesses on which ones or how many we will bring in... lord have mercy on our souls

Old
06-26-2011, 08:13 PM
MephistoIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
i think portys wrong

carternash needs someone to play with. someone that can play at that level and will be a creator for the finishers

i cant even make a stab at the dlines and i have no guesses on which ones or how many we will bring in... lord have mercy on our souls

Maybe he's wrong... but he has been right about a heck of a lot of stuff. I'd say it's safe to say that either Vermette or Huselius play w/ Nash and Carter.

As for our Defense...

Hejda is a ?

Only: Tyutin, Methot, Clitsome and Russell are certain right now. That leaves three spots for UFA/Trade/Hejda or Moore/Savard/Holden

Hey... I have an idea... let's just play Moore, Savard AND Holden instead of adding anyone! We got Carter, who needs anyone else!

Tyutin/Clitsome
Methot/Savard
Moore/Holden

Old
06-26-2011, 08:51 PM
countthecashricknash

Realistically, what are the chances Savard makes the team out of camp? He put up very solid numbers in Springfield last year and would help us tremendously if he could replicate it in Columbus.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Hipster Letestu

Barring any additions through FA this is how I see the lines shaping up:

Nash - Carter - Huselius
Atkinson - Brassard - Vermette
Calvert - MacKenzie - Umberger
Mayorov - Pahlsson - Boll
Dorsett

I think Atkinson's ability to put the puck in the net will get him a spot in the top 6. I think you have to try putting the three most gifted players we have on the first line and try it, shift things if it doesn't work. I think Mayorov becomes a checking line player with scoring potential, and Boll is a much better player than he was two years ago. Dorsett is the odd man out and gets the majority of the healthy scratches unless Boll is dinged up. This is a potential lineup only if we fail to sign any FAs which I don't believe will happen.

Closed Thread