HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter/Richards traded (Pt. 2); Quotes: Pronger (#100); Snider (#135); Carter (#954)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Blue Jackets send diplomatic envoy to hold Jeff Carterís hand

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8115

Old
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The level of unfair criticism of these guys is really, really intense.
these guys? we're talking about Carter.

Richards signed a similar extension, what, a year before carter? And he had the same thoughts about his future here in Philly that Carter had. But Richards is talking to the media and talking to his new employer. Carter is acting like a baby.

I dont care if his feelings are hurt. He's acting like his girlfriend just dumped him. Sack up and move on. Be a professional.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:42 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
Blue Jackets send diplomatic envoy to hold Jeff Carterís hand

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8115

I can see him turning all his anger at Holmgren in to a 70 goal season next year

Old
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
these guys? we're talking about Carter.

Richards signed a similar extension, what, a year before carter? And he had the same thoughts about his future here in Philly that Carter had. But Richards is talking to the media and talking to his new employer. Carter is acting like a baby.

I dont care if his feelings are hurt. He's acting like his girlfriend just dumped him. Sack up and move on. Be a professional.
So people are robotic automatons that react the same to all events.

Also, look long and hard at where Carter was traded and where Richards was traded. I'd wager if Carter was going to LA he wouldn't be as upset. The guy clearly enjoyed living in an urban environment.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

C'mon now..Columbus is the mecca of cosmopolitanism...

Old
06-27-2011, 12:56 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
C'mon now..Columbus is the mecca of cosmopolitanism...
Ohio State, baby!

Old
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
This is a situation where demanding a trade is completely acceptable, IMO. This is nothing like the Heatley travesty. Teams pull this **** too much for players to get raked over the coals for responding in kind. Sure, it sucks for CLB that they may be on the receiving end, but these clubs need to think longer and harder about the contracts they sign players to.

We are only a year removed from the Flyers treating Gagne like garbage to get their way.

I don't think demanding for a trade is acceptable in this situation. Carter hasn't played for them yet, and he knows nothing of how they run their organization. What if he is the first step in their plan to building a better team? They shouldn't have to sell their organization to a player they just traded for, he isn't a free agent they're trying to sign.

Carter hasn't earned the right to demand trade from them simply because he didn't sign a contract with them. If that were the case everyone who is traded should have the right to demand to be sent somewhere else, but it rarely ever happens like that. If anyone has the right to ask for a trade it would be Rick Nash, but Columbus has just shown a commitment to winning by trading for Jeff Carter, why would you ask to be dealt from a team that is trying to improve?

Also, this isn't the same situation as Gagne. Gagne was strictly because Homer **** up the cap situation. This was WAY more to do with locker room problems than the cap situation. Yes, I have no way to prove that, but to me it seems likely when you take everything into consideration. Yes Carter freed up cap space, and yes someone had to go, but we all know we could have moved only Versteeg or Carle and still been fine with Bryz's cap hit. And if Carter was moved for cap reasons, why trade Richards? It all screams locker room issues.

Also, Gagne went to a place he didn't mind being in, and a place he might have ended up this year anyway, so its not like they treated him like garbage.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Ohio State, baby!
Hey theres a great lake nearby, where he can chase OSU tail in the summer. Granted its no Sea Isle, but it cant be that bad.... Or can it?!

Old
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I don't think demanding for a trade is acceptable in this situation. Carter hasn't played for them yet, and he knows nothing of how they run their organization. What if he is the first step in their plan to building a better team? They shouldn't have to sell their organization to a player they just traded for, he isn't a free agent they're trying to sign.

Carter hasn't earned the right to demand trade from them simply because he didn't sign a contract with them. If that were the case everyone who is traded should have the right to demand to be sent somewhere else, but it rarely ever happens like that. If anyone has the right to ask for a trade it would be Rick Nash. But Columbus has just shown a commitment to winning by trading for Jeff Carter, why would you ask to be dealt from a team that is trying to improve?

Also, this isn't the same situation as Gagne. Gagne was strictly because Homer **** up the cap situation. This was WAY more to do with locker room problems than the cap situation. Yes, I have no way to prove that, but to me it seems likely when you take everything into consideration. Yes Carter freed up cap space, and yes someone had to go, but we all know we could have moved only Versteeg or Carle and still been fine with Bryz's cap hit. And if Carter was moved for cap reasons, why trade Richards? It all screams locker room issues.

Also, Gagne went to a place he didn't mind being in, and a place he might have ended up this year anyway, so its not like they treated him like garbage.
1. I don't think Carter's problems are necessarily to do with the team in CLB.

2. 99.9% of traded players are not dealt with 11 year commitments in hand... Would love to see a comparison there.

3. Gagne had zero interest in waiving his NTC to go anywhere. As he said at the time he only did so because the Flyers made him feel uncomfortable about returning. D-baggery had won out.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Holy **** people.

Carter (through his agent) asked for the weekend to let everything settle in his mind and to process the screwing over he just received from people he trusted. This is Monday, and a the CBJ folks are meeting with him.

I could see if this was Thursday and there still hadn't been any contact. Then there would be reason to ***** and moan and call him names.

I'm not a huge Carter fan, but Jesus, the amount of crap that gets thrown at the guy around here is unreal.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Holy **** people.

Carter (through his agent) asked for the weekend to let everything settle in his mind and to process the screwing over he just received from people he trusted. This is Monday, and a the CBJ folks are meeting with him.

I could see if this was Thursday and there still hadn't been any contact. Then there would be reason to ***** and moan and call him names.

I'm not a huge Carter fan, but Jesus, the amount of crap that gets thrown at the guy around here is unreal.
Welcome to the boards....

Old
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Holy **** people.

Eh, I think there are 3 different groups in this thread.

1) Those who didnt really like Carter, and now are continuing to say things about him now that he has left.

2) Those who really really liked Carter, still terribly upset he left, and now defend him to the T.

3) Those of us who are neutral, and know that NOTHING is going to change, so we are just trying to move away from the Carter/Richards era.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:10 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Holy **** people.

He couldnt answer his phone when Howson called? Thats ok? And now theyre forced to send a contigent, along with Rick Nash to say hello? Thats acceptable professional behavior? Ok then.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
He couldnt answer his phone when Howson called? Thats ok? And now theyre forced to send a contigent, along with Rick Nash to say hello? Thats acceptable professional behavior? Ok then.
You think Carter didn't agree to this meeting? They likely offered it to make him feel as welcome as possible to help dissaude him from demanding a trade.

You think these guys thought "****, we haven't heard from Carter. Let's just go to his beach house and hope he's there! If not, we'll wait in the yard."

There's likely been some kind of contact.

06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
1) right, Richards looked different last year because his wrist needed surgery. If you weren't seeing those "Mike Richards" qualities, your memory might need refreshing. The guy was diving to block an empty net shot when the sweep was all but complete, if that doesnt scream "heart" I don't know what does. He had a wrist injury that got continually worse as the season went on. That wrist injury impacted his ability to shoot, pass, and hit. Yet he played through it without complaint.

2) One season with a bout of the flu, torn wrist, and pneumonia clearly makes him the most injury-plagued athlete on earth? Sami Salo says "hi."

3) Carter didn't bury that goal in game 6 because Campbell got his stick on the play, and Niemi made a great save. Go ahead and keep blaming Carter for not being Superman and powering his way through Campbell, and blasting the puck through Niemi's fist though.

It never ceases to amaze me how often Philly fans will have a blind, non-sensical hatred for the best players on their teams. It's only a matter of time until everyone turns on Pronger, JVR, Giroux, or Bryz. I can get the criticism of their personal lives, but I don't understand all the criticism of their play.
A messed up wrist doesn't affect your ability to hustle and all around seem like you would rather be at the bar than on the ice. I'm not a Richards hater at all. I loved the guy up until this past season. And instead of ignoring his obvious problems and blaming illness and injury I recognize he has some issues and I really hope he straightens them out and becomes what I know he can be.

I'm not one to have a blind nonsensical hatred towards any Flyer player. I have never hated anyone in a Flyers jersey up until Jeff Carter. And that hatred isn't blind and nonsensical. It's actually the opposite. If I were being blind about it I would just automatically love him because he was wearing orange and black. I hated Carter because in the biggest situations he was our smallest player.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:19 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

1) Those who didnt really like Carter, and now are continuing to say things about him now that he has left.

2) Those who really really liked Carter, still terribly upset he left, and now defend him to the T.

3) Those of us who are neutral, and know that NOTHING is going to change, so we are just trying to move away from the Carter/Richards era.
You missed group 4) Those of us who aren't huge Carter fans, but recognize what he brought to the team, and understand the gaping hole in lineup with his absence, both from an offensive and a defensive viewpoint.

Those in group 4) also hope that those in group 1) don't ever complain about the Flyers lack of scoring at even strength, inability to contain Crosby and Kovalchuk, or the Flyers' faceoff stats. Those in group 4) will rip the **** out of those in group 1) if that happens.

========================

And for the folks who have *****ed about Carter's approach to all of this, and his general d-baggery for not speaking:

Quote:
Jeff Carter (from Philly): Not talking had "nothing to do with being traded to Columbus"

Carter on Howson, Arniel, and Nash making a trip to Philly to see him: "I'm appreciative of them making the trip."

Carter on playing next to Nash and helping him to a new level: "Hopefully I can take some of the pressure off him."
http://twitter.com/greegor23

Quote:
Jeff Carter (speaking from the Philadelphia area): "I'm definitely excited...Sometimes a new fresh start is good."
https://twitter.com/LoriSchmidt

Comments?

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 06-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 01:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Howson probably Tweeted Carter....

Howson: We're coming to the Jersey shore to meet you and Snooki and convince you that Columbus is the poop....

Carter: Go right ahead but I'm staying here and partying with The Situation..my new bud. Trade me to LA...

Old
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
paragon

Quote:
The level of unfair criticism of these guys is really, really intense.
Jeff, is that you?

No wonder he hasn't come public. Too busy defending himself here...

Old
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
1. I don't think Carter's problems are necessarily to do with the team in CLB.
Then what are his problems? If he's demanding a trade from a team he's never played for, but it has nothing to do with them what does it have to do with?

He's getting paid millions to do a job he enjoys. He may have enjoyed it more here, but I'm pretty sure Columbus isn't hell. He'll enjoy it there as well in due time. If the organization doesn't show a commitment to winning than he has a reason to do something about the situation but as of now, not so much.

Quote:
2. 99.9% of traded players are not dealt with 11 year commitments in hand... Would love to see a comparison there.
True, but its essentially irrelevant at this point. What if Columbus' plans are to build a winning team around he and Nash? Having a 11 year deal with a no trade clause is not a death sentence. If in a couple years they haven't done anything to improve and he hates it he could demand a trade. With his NTC he could pick the teams he's willing to go to.

Quote:
3. Gagne had zero interest in waiving his NTC to go anywhere. As he said at the time he only did so because the Flyers made him feel uncomfortable about returning. D-baggery had won out.
No doubt Gagne would have wanted to be here last year, but I highly doubt the organization treated him like garbage. Garbage is a strong word.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanSinceBirth View Post
A messed up wrist doesn't affect your ability to hustle and all around seem like you would rather be at the bar than on the ice. I'm not a Richards hater at all. I loved the guy up until this past season. And instead of ignoring his obvious problems and blaming illness and injury I recognize he has some issues and I really hope he straightens them out and becomes what I know he can be.

I'm not one to have a blind nonsensical hatred towards any Flyer player. I have never hated anyone in a Flyers jersey up until Jeff Carter. And that hatred isn't blind and nonsensical. It's actually the opposite. If I were being blind about it I would just automatically love him because he was wearing orange and black. I hated Carter because in the biggest situations he was our smallest player.
Richards' last shift as a Flyer involved diving to protect an empty net in a game that was over. Hustle was never an issue. The bigger problem was that Richards had a bad case of the flu this year, on top of the wrist problem.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Double post

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 06-27-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
Jeff, is that you?

No wonder he hasn't come public. Too busy defending himself here...
You can do better than that.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
You missed group 4) Those of us who aren't huge Carter fans, but recognize what he brought to the team, and understand the gaping hole in lineup with his absence, both from an offensive and a defensive viewpoint.

Those in group 4) also hope that those in group 1) don't ever complain about the Flyers lack of scoring at even strength, inability to contain Crosby and Kovalchuk, or the Flyers' faceoff stats. Those in group 4) will rip the **** out of those in group 1) if that happens.
Bingo. Carter isn't my favorite player...but the Flyers are my favorite team, and what he brought to the team was huge. Now there are two holes in the lineup. Here's hoping that the young guys can develop really quick, before Timonen and Pronger retire or are useless.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

I love Carter as a player. I've ALWAYS defended him. I think he was bent over by Holmgren and done wrong in so many ways. I feel sorry for him and my heart DOES go out to him. However, this IS a businees and I feel he is at least partially responsible for his getting traded and with getting 5 mil a year my sympathy really doesn't extend very far. As a person it would suck, but there are far far worse things that happen in life than freaking getting traded and getting over 80 mil to play hockey for your career. Just think about that, by the end of his career he will have made over 80 million dollars. He's not hurting in the wallet. The BIGGEST stress in most peoples life, financial security, is a joke to him. To me this is like people who win the lottery and then suffer the "lottery jinx". There is no jinx, just people who change and become dumbasses because they suddenly have money. I'm not saying Carter is a dumbass or anything but seriously, I reserve my sympathy for people who have it far far worse.

Carter will be fine. Maybe it's not how he had it envisioned but he'll be fine. He's a great player and I'll continue to be a fan of his. I wish him no ill-will. I hope he goes out and pots 50+ next year and makes us really regret trading him.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
"Sometimes it's best to sit back and think about what you're going to say rather than get right out there and say things you'll regret." "
Quote:
My decision not to talk had absolutely nothing to do with being traded to Columbus. I know it's a team that has struggled in the past, but there's a great future. I'm excited to be there, to be a part of it."
-Columbus Dispatch

Game over. Now can we move on?

Closed Thread