HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Where Will We Finish" Thread

View Poll Results: Where do we finish at the end of the regular season?
Make playoffs 69 89.61%
Middle of the road team, missing playoffs 5 6.49%
Top 5 pick 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Wow, people have lost a ton of faith here...

Our D core is still arguably the best in the league, and we have a top 10 goalie. The stars dont exactly have to align for us to have home ice in the playoffs...
I don't think they're winning the division, and I'm not sure they're the 4th best team in the conference. Next year is going to be beyond frustrating.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We are easily going to win the stanley cup this year

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Hard to believe, even with Richards and Carter gone, that the team as it stands today would finish outside of the top 8, barring injuries.

The Pens will make a splash in free agency, so they'd have to start the year as favourites for the division.

Pencil in Washington and Boston as division winners. It don't think there's any other team in the East that will finish ahead of Philly (unless Tampa lands Vokoun). New Jersey is a wild card.

I'd peg the team anywhere from 2nd to 6th, given the current roster.

It's not a team built for the playoffs, though. No size up the middle, no competent faceoff men, young core of forwards, Kimmo on his last legs, Pronger's health still unclear... reads like a first round exit to me.

Obviously a lot will change when the free agency window opens... and even potentially after the draft if there's movement of roster players.

06-24-2011, 05:06 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

NYR will be a pretty scary team if they land Richards

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
NYR will be a pretty scary team if they land Richards
They're still in a bind with Redden and Drury. Landing Richards will be very difficult, since it was largely contingent on being able to buy Drury out.

We'll see, though.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Wow, people have lost a ton of faith here...

Our D core is still arguably the best in the league, and we have a top 10 goalie. The stars dont exactly have to align for us to have home ice in the playoffs...
What? 48 out of 52 people think we'll make the playoffs and you think people have lost all hope. I mean, to get the home ice first round we'd have to be at least the best runner up. It's certainly doable, but I wouldn't exactly call it a lock the way things stand now.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
You gotta be kidding me if you think this team won't make the playoffs. I know Richards and Carter were a big part of this team, but do you really think that losing them takes this team from first in the Atlantic to out of the playoffs? All the while adding a top tier goalie and some solid players in replacement of Richards/Carter. They'll be in the post season. Don't know how far they'll get, but they'll be there.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We are easily going to win the stanley cup this year
in NHL12, sure.

06-27-2011, 10:29 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

If we don't get a good FA in the offseason, this team looks like it will struggle to make the playoffs. There are too many unknowns; Pronger's health, Timmonen's continual production decline stopping, JVR needing to make a huge jump, Briere staying healthy and producing, Schenn making an impact next year, Voracek making continual progress, Betts' shoulder holding up, Nodl continuing to make progress...

In a perfect world it all happens.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
If we don't get a good FA in the offseason, this team looks like it will struggle to make the playoffs. There are too many unknowns; Pronger's health, Timmonen's continual production decline stopping, JVR needing to make a huge jump, Briere staying healthy and producing, Schenn making an impact next year, Voracek making continual progress, Betts' shoulder holding up, Nodl continuing to make progress...

In a perfect world it all happens.
First, I think Timonen is far from his "last legs." Second, I don't think the team trades Richards and Carter if they don't think JVR has, or is in the process of, making a "huge jump." Third, I think the increased playing time for Briere will allow him to produce more consistently, and I am no longer that much more concerned about his health than anyone else on the ice. He's been fine the last couple years, long playoff run and all. Fourth, Nodl's progress does not matter much. He'll probably be on the 4th line.

Let's say the roster looks like this:

JVR-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (or FA)
Versteeg-Schenn-Simmonds
Nodl-Betts-Powe

Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Timonen
Meszaros-call up/FA

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

That's a pretty good team, no? A little small and young up front, but the defense is still excellent and now behind it there is a bonafoide goalie. I don't see how, on paper, we're any worse than say, Buffalo. Probably a lot better, really. I don't think they will struggle to make the playoffs.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
First, I think Timonen is far from his "last legs." Second, I don't think the team trades Richards and Carter if they don't think JVR has, or is in the process of, making a "huge jump." Third, I think the increased playing time for Briere will allow him to produce more consistently, and I am no longer that much more concerned about his health than anyone else on the ice. He's been fine the last couple years, long playoff run and all. Fourth, Nodl's progress does not matter much. He'll probably be on the 4th line.

Let's say the roster looks like this:

JVR-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (or FA)
Versteeg-Schenn-Simmonds
Nodl-Betts-Powe

Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Timonen
Meszaros-call up/FA

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

That's a pretty good team, no? A little small and young up front, but the defense is still excellent and now behind it there is a bonafoide goalie. I don't see how, on paper, we're any worse than say, Buffalo. Probably a lot better, really. I don't think they will struggle to make the playoffs.
Timonen is still great defensively, but he has had 4 straight years of decline in production. He will still be extremly effective, but he has been slowing down every year. JVR looks ready to burst out, and he will more than likely do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he shows some lack of consistency.

When we made the cup run we struggled to make the playoffs, and I find we were a better team then.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Insein

Take a look at Boston this year. They had some decent talent but nothing overwhelming. They did have the worst powerplay in stanley cup playoff history to win the the cup. So how did they get it done? By having a top 5 goaltender get hot for 2 months. Tim Thomas didn't singlhandedly win the cup but his should be the first name on it from that team.

Flyer's key aquisition is Bryzgalov. He's hopefully a top 5 goalie and if he's hot come April, it only matters that we have a competent team in front of him to make a run.

Last edited by Insein: 06-27-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Insein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
phlocky

We will squeak into the playoffs and lose in the 1st rnd, that's my prediction.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
We will squeak into the playoffs and lose in the 1st rnd, that's my prediction.
Ya. I can see that happening. Then again, I wouldnt be surprised if we pull it off to the 2nd or even 3rd round. **** happens. MANY people here thought we were going to the SCF again this past year. What really happened though was us BARELY squeezing past the Sabres, than getting our ***** handed to us by Boston. Dont think anyone could predict that one.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Swiper the Fox

if schenn makes the line-up and is as promising as 'they' say........
I'd say we are just as good a team now, as we were before richards/carter
but, with a 400% improvment on goaltending which makes us a
legitimate cup contender again easily
i think we'll see major point contributions from Giroux / JVR and Briere
those three can make any 'half decent forward ' play better

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ya. I can see that happening. Then again, I wouldnt be surprised if we pull it off to the 2nd or even 3rd round. **** happens. MANY people here thought we were going to the SCF again this past year. What really happened though was us BARELY squeezing past the Sabres, than getting our ***** handed to us by Boston. Dont think anyone could predict that one.
We were not winning the cup with our goalies last year... That was absolutely predicted by some. There was a thread about people being worried about Boston midseason... Losing to them was absolutely predicted by some.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We were not winning the cup with our goalies last year... That was absolutely predicted by some. There was a thread about people being worried about Boston midseason... Losing to them was absolutely predicted by some.
If I can find the thread, we had a poll. Over 60-70% thought we were going to go far into playoffs, even with the goaltending.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
If I can find the thread, we had a poll. Over 60-70% thought we were going to go far into playoffs, even with the goaltending.
Homers abound, rest of us are just delusional haters...

Old
06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Homers abound, rest of us are just delusional haters...
Meh, its how everything looks on paper anyway. Paper wise, we barely make playoffs and get our ***** kicked first round. What could actually happen is different though...as we seen in the past. If anyone said last year Boston was going to win the cup, people would have laughed their ***** off.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Meh, its how everything looks on paper anyway. Paper wise, we barely make playoffs and get our ***** kicked first round. What could actually happen is different though...as we seen in the past. If anyone said last year Boston was going to win the cup, people would have laughed their ***** off.
Really? Boston has been a top team in the East 3 years running with elite goaltending. Anyone laughing their ass off doesn't know the sport.

In fact, the betting odds had the Bruins just behind us heading into the year.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Really? Boston has been a top team in the East 3 years running with elite goaltending. Anyone laughing their ass off doesn't know the sport.
They came off playoffs on a down note. My ex-roomie is a Bruins fan and I would talk to him about it. At the time, TT was not really their goalie, and they were still thinking if Rask was their future.

This is why they made a pitch for Horton. This current time, one year ago, many fans, including their own, predicted them going maybe one or two rounds in playoffs.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:39 PM
PhilaFlyers

I'd say somewhere from 4th to 6th in the East.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
They came off playoffs on a down note. My ex-roomie is a Bruins fan and I would talk to him about it. At the time, TT was not really their goalie, and they were still thinking if Rask was their future.

This is why they made a pitch for Horton. This current time, one year ago, many fans, including their own, predicted them going maybe one or two rounds in playoffs.
Bad opinions of their own fan base doesn't exactly inspire a change of opinion. The Bs were non-injury devastation away from beating us the year before, and the Horton trade was a very good one for them. And ignoring Thomas, it isn't like Rask wasn't extremely good last year.

Bs were clearly one of the better teams in the East and definitely the team with the best overall goaltending.